• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

How long have you played?

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I can't say exactly when, I think it was around 1999, my cousin gave me Pokemon Yellow to borrow. Immediately hooked within 5 minutes! I was only 4 at the time, it was such a memorable game though... Maybe because I had good memories with it... :')

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
The first Pokemon game I played was Silver version, which belonged to one of my cousins. I enjoyed it, though seeing how it belonged to him and how he had already beaten it, all I really did was run around through a few towns and routes. Eventually, he even let me borrow it.

The next games I played were the Stadium games, due to my best friend when I was a kid having an N64, though I think we played more of the mini-games than we did actual battling.

I finally decided to buy one of the Pokemon games when Leaf Green came out, and I absolutely loved it, and this caused me to buy Emerald, which I also loved.

So I've been playing since I was a little kid, even though I didn't actually own one of the games until a bit later.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I got Yellow when I turned 7, so I've been playing since then. You can do that math, haha. Though that was the only main game I had til Sapphire and I didn't beat it. Most of my Pokemon gaming before gen III was through spin offs like Snap and Stadium (2). But hey, Stadium 2 taught me how to battle and taught me why I never beat Brock in Yellow haha.

Typhlosion5000

Typhlosion Explosion!
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 16, 2013
When I was 5 my cousin let me play his Pokémon games. My first was Gold. When I was five I had no idea how to play, I used to think that the bike was a motorcycle. After that I played Pokémon Stadium. Then I got my first Pokémon game Diamond. Then I got SoulSilver when I was 10 and got my Typhlosion. Then I got Platinum and so on. So I have been playing Pokémon for 8 years.

Years
My Pokemon gaming career started on my 11th birthday, when I got my first Pokemon game Ruby. The thing was I started late compared to most people here who normally started at 1st or 2nd Gen. I didn't start on 4th Gen until 2008, when I got my Ice Blue DS Lite and Pearl, and Platinum was added to my collection a year later. I got SoulSilver the year after that shortly after my brother got HeartGold. Then for my 19th birthday I got Black, starting my 5th Gen phase and then got White a few months later. Finally last December I got Black 2 and White 2, which are my current focus until X & Y.

Been playing for around 10 years if you take me turning 21 this year into account.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
I've started with Blue some time before Yellow came out. I've played until Sapphire, took a break till Heartgold/Soulsilver and since then I've started playing the games again. I think most of the time I spent with my Gold Version with a save file containing more than 250 hours of gameplay and 250 different caught Pokemon xD

Don't know precisely how long I'm into the games, though ^^"

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Hmm, I don't know how I actually got into pokemon. I started with Pokemon Blue when my Mom and Dad got me a Gameboy and the game at a yard sell. I eventually got Yellow not long afterwards. I got Gold and Crystal when they came out. I got Ruby when it first came out and then got Sapphire the Christmas after. Then I got Firered and Emerald. Then Diamond, on the very first day it was out. I preordered it and was the 3rd person to get in my town. I was at gamestop when it first opened. Then Heartgold a few months after it came out after I saw one of my good friends bring her SS to school. (High School) I also got Pokemon Black and White before anyone else in my town because my Mom worked at Wal-Mart. Then I got Black 2 and White 2 within the first week it was out.

So I have never missed a game other than Pt. That was when I had a huge break from pokemon. I never have actually taken a break from it.

So to answer your question I got Pokemon Blue in Summer of 2001 or 2002. I do not remember exactly what year it was. So I have been playing the game for about... 11 years.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
I'm not sure I was probably 4 or 5 when I started to get into it. In Sept. 1998 (When Red and Blue released) I would have been 4.

Alexial

I've been playing Pokemon since the R/B/Y, then stopped until Fire Red came out. Been playing ever since.

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years
Since I was born practically when the games came out (I was born in late 1995), I wasn't able to start playing right away. I watched the anime as a kid on Cartoon Network and fell in love. I found out that there were games and, well pardon my language, I flipped ****. I had my parents buy me Red and Yellow, and my older sister, who was sort of a fan of the series, got Blue. When I found out about the Generation 2 games, I once again, flipped ****. My older sister fell out of the series, so I got all three games myself. At this point, I had a large collection of trading cards, toys/figures, movies, etc. I was obsessed. Sadly, after a while, I fell out of the series. Got rid of everything (I regret it to this day).

Around the time of HG/SS's release, I got back in to the series. Before the games were released, I downloaded an emulator on my computer and played the ROM of Emerald. I later played the other two but that wasn't for a few years. I got both games for Christmas the year they were released. I played SS and let a friend of my sisters borrow HG (I haven't seen it since, I'm very mad). I beat it and loved the idea of the PokeWalker. Eventually B/W came out, I got White because I liked Zekrom. Eventually I transferred everything from SS to White. About two months ago I got B2, eventually traded everything from White and now here we are. Anticipating X and Y.

Years
I first started palying just before Emerald came out. So like early 2005 would make it around 8 years... I'm only 16 so I've been playing for half of my life already... I remember first time I played... Sapphire. I couldn't figure out how to get out the the truck :/ Then a friend gave me Blue and I played the s**t out of that before I bought Emerald as soon as I could.

Good old days. Pokemon was so challenging back then. I kinda miss it.

TheKurtzinator

Professional Derp/Trainer
Years
The first game I started playing was Pokemon Stadium when I was around 5. I played all the games at my friend's houses, but I never owned one until I was when i got Sapphire for my 9th birthday in 2003. I have been a die-hard fan ever since.

Years
I started with Red and Blue when I was 8 or 9 and have happily played through each generation since. If I remember right, Blue was my first game and it was so so fun. :) Pokemon helped me learn English as well!

Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2013
Wow guys and girls thanks for all the replies. I sadly fell out of the series for many years. My now ex girlfriend got me back into the series when we started talking about it on a date one night. She got all excited when i got my 3ds xl and white 2 for christmas and took it and wanted to play it. Sadly we broke up but my char name on there is katniss and is female even though im male. I missed several generations which sucks. It makes me sad. I am currently playing HG and Plat. but i havent got all the starter pokemon yet so i am waiting to get them in a trade. I want the orig. starters for HG too. I miss them so much. I currently play them at work lol.

EJ Nero

Water forever
Years
First started playing in the 3rd generation in 2003. I got Ruby for my 9th birthday about a month after it came out, and was hooked from there. I had been watching the series though on TV since 2000.

When I was in 8th grade I kind of fell out of love with Pokémon. I didn't really play again until HG/SS came out in 2010 and I got SS. I stopped playing that too after awhile. I didn't touch Pokémon again until Black/White came out. Soon after I stopped playing it as well, and recently I've been enticed back into my favorite childhood series now that the next generation is coming out. So 2003-2008 played nothing but Pokémon, came back in 2010 for a while and again in 2011, and now in 2013 I am playing again. Its been a bumpy ride but I just can't let go of Pokémon. I'll probably play it off and on for a long time to come.

Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2013
First started playing in the 3rd generation in 2003. I got Ruby for my 9th birthday about a month after it came out, and was hooked from there. I had been watching the series though on TV since 2000.

When I was in 8th grade I kind of fell out of love with Pokémon. I didn't really play again until HG/SS came out in 2010 and I got SS. I stopped playing that too after awhile. I didn't touch Pokémon again until Black/White came out. Soon after I stopped playing it as well, and recently I've been enticed back into my favorite childhood series now that the next generation is coming out. So 2003-2008 played nothing but Pokémon, came back in 2010 for a while and again in 2011, and now in 2013 I am playing again. Its been a bumpy ride but I just can't let go of Pokémon. I'll probably play it off and on for a long time to come.

yeah i took a break too. I understand but i am glad to be back.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Unlike pretty much every person in this thread, my first generation of Pokemon was actually the fourth in 2008! I had watched the anime a lot when I was a kid and I absolutely loved it (when I was younger, I always wanted a Pikachu because I considered it a legend amongst the ranks of Mewtwo / Kyogre / Mew etc.). I had watched my sister play Emerald for a while and then I decided I wanted to give the games a go as well, so for my 7th birthday I got Platinum! Yeah I'm insanely young compared to everyone else. Since then I've played Emerald and almost all of Crystal, I glitched up Yellow, played Heartgold, restarted Platinum 6082 times and I've also played Black 2. I still watch the anime but not as much. I also have a lot of Pokemon figurines from my trip to China and a few Trading Cards (that I don't really use unfortunately). So I've been playing around five years to answer the question? Despite that being nowhere near the 10 or 11 years most people have racked up, Pokemon still means a lot to me. :)

Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2013
Unlike pretty much every person in this thread, my first generation of Pokemon was actually the fourth in 2008! I had watched the anime a lot when I was a kid and I absolutely loved it (when I was younger, I always wanted a Pikachu because I considered it a legend amongst the ranks of Mewtwo / Kyogre / Mew etc.). I had watched my sister play Emerald for a while and then I decided I wanted to give the games a go as well, so for my 7th birthday I got Platinum! Yeah I'm insanely young compared to everyone else. Since then I've played Emerald and almost all of Crystal, I glitched up Yellow, played Heartgold, restarted Platinum 6082 times and I've also played Black 2. I still watch the anime but not as much. I also have a lot of Pokemon figurines from my trip to China and a few Trading Cards (that I don't really use unfortunately). So I've been playing around five years to answer the question? Despite that being nowhere near the 10 or 11 years most people have racked up, Pokemon still means a lot to me. :)

I am glad to see a new generation coming up and playing. I have a niece I am helping raise and she is 4 months old but i already plan on getting her into pokemon as soon as possible to help keep it alive. She will sit in my lap and watch me play lol.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I started playing Pokemon in 1999, a little bit after I turned 10 and around the time that Pokemon Yellow was first released. My first game was Pokemon Blue, which was given to me by a family friend's son, and my first Pokemon was Charmander. :)

I've roughly been playing Pokemon games for close to 14 years now.

Wow. I'm old. {D:}

Back