• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Pokemon Customization & Contests

Years
Pokemon Customization & Contests Speculation

Do you think the contests will be back given the emphasis of beauty as a theme?

It seems like pokemusical and the poke park studios didn't go over very well. There wasn't really much to be accomplished.

If so, what new features of the contests would you like to see? Should Pokemon Coordinator be a more prominent side quest?

Lastly, this generation, we are able to customize our trainers which is mind-blowingly awesome. This will really allow for the role-playing aspect of the main series to really shine through.

So, here's a question that ought to stir some controversy among fans:

Should pokemon be customizable, if so, to what extent?

Or, perhaps battle items should be visible?

tvsea03_001.jpg

Further, limitations on pokemon that are able to use battle items should be made. A metagross should not be able to hold an air balloon given how ridiculous it would look!

025f_f.png

Last edited:

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I've been giving heavy thought to the possibility of being able to choose whether or not you want to be a Pokemon Coordinator or a Gym Leader, and various things in the game would change depending on the path you'd choose. Of course, gyms would be replaced by contest halls, or maybe they could share cities since I'm sure some of your friends will be trainers, naturally. Anyway, I think that'd be cool, as long as they mimic the contest style from the anime and not like it was in Pokemon Emerald or D/P.

Nakala Pri

YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE YOUR TRAINER??!!! :O :O :O

Rock. On. GameFreak. I. Freaken. Love. You! This is like, so awesome! :D

Plus with the new Pokemon and stuff, I seriously suspect that there will be some new musical content. Like Pokemon Pearl/Diamond, you can dance, dress up and act. Which in my opinion, was better then Pokemon Blacks. So I seriously expect we will get some mind blowing added content in the incoming X/Y. :P

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
Battle items should not be visible.Where would you put a life orb?Held in hands?Oh god i want my Zoroark to have its hands free.Plus your opponent will know what item you have so he will take countermeasures(You will be able to do that as well but that makes Comp.Battling more boring)
The extent i want a Pokemon customized is probably a ribbon or a scarf that have no effect.
I want Contests from Hoenn to return.
I am also almost sure that we will have some sort of beauty display contest for the character and the Pokemon

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I think, seeing as how it's all in 3D, that accessorizing Pokemon could become an option! I'm not so sure about held items being visible, though. Maybe the contests will be more like Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. At least I hope!

Years
Battle items should not be visible.Where would you put a life orb?Held in hands?Oh god i want my Zoroark to have its hands free.Plus your opponent will know what item you have so he will take countermeasures(You will be able to do that as well but that makes Comp.Battling more boring)
The extent i want a Pokemon customized is probably a ribbon or a scarf that have no effect.
I want Contests from Hoenn to return.
I am also almost sure that we will have some sort of beauty display contest for the character and the Pokemon

Haha, I know what you mean. Though, any orb could be worn as a pendant on the pokemon's collar. Some of the more obvious items, such as the rocky helmet and air balloon should be known to the opponent given that if a pokemon is holding a balloon, it doesn't make sense that the animation would depict it standing on the ground or wearing a rocky helmet if that is the battle item in use. With the 3D graphics, and more realistic environment it allows for lack of attention to certain details to become quite obvious. In a "real" pokemon battle the other trainers would be able to see some of the battle items, and both trainers would be able to take counter measures, so it is a fair game in that aspect.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
Haha, I know what you mean. Though, any orb could be worn as a pendant on the pokemon's collar. Some of the more obvious items, such as the rocky helmet and air balloon should be known to the opponent given that if a pokemon is holding a balloon, it doesn't make sense that the animation would depict it standing on the ground or wearing a rocky helmet if that is the battle item in use. With the 3D graphics, and more realistic environment it allows for lack of attention to certain details to become quite obvious. In a "real" pokemon battle the other trainers would be able to see some of the battle items, and both trainers would be able to take counter measures, so it is a fair game in that aspect.

So you mean that it is gonna be more realistic?Didnt think of it that way to tell you the truth but what about the berries and leftovers?Are they gonna hold them on their hands?

Years
Battle items should be diffrent than held items, like if honedge wasnt a pokemon it would be a battle item and only certaint pokrmn could hould it and it boost their attack and letting them have sword dance as a extra move. This is just my idea of what should happen. I am hoping for 3rd gen contest mixed with the dress up etc in x and y. MILOTIC OWN BEAUTY, and they should include the battles like they do in the anime for contest.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I think pokemon customization is better off being left to the imagination. I do it all the time, and I feel as though if Gamefreak gave us some options, they wouldn't be as broad as the many ways I imagine my pokemon.

(Example: I imagine my Liepard carrying a black rose in her mouth, Scrafty wearing her hood on, and a Gengar wearing earmuffs configured exactly for his headsize. I can't imagine Gamefreak coming up with any of these.)

I think they did a very good job with character customization with only 3 presets as opposed to a full closet. It makes me feel as though I can still play as the in-game protagonist, yet still identify it as myself, at the same time. The manga, anime, and even games like GSC's "Red" has shown dependence on how the default protagonists have looked like, so I'm glad that they found a way to combine the best of both.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I'm glad to hear that you can customize trainers. I hope we get to choose the color of our bags as well.

As for customizing Pokemon, you could only do that at the musical and nowhere else (in that case dressing them up with props) I like the idea of showing visible items on Pokemon, however their are a couple of problems which hinder their chances of this happening. Firstly, the size of each and every Pokemon are different, and GF would have to modify the size of something like a Choice Band, otherwise it would be too small by the time a Pokemon evolves. ^_^ Secondly, it trolls Pokemon that have the Frisk ability, because it means that Frisk won't be useful anymore. :P

As for Contests, I would like the see the Gen IV contest make a return this year, rather than a stupid musical. It would be interesting to see which moves will be categorized contest-wise as well as type-wise.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Yeah, I didn't really spend much time at the theatre thing in BW2. I think that GameFreak needs to add on to that tremendously if they want to keep players interested in it. I really do like PokeContests though, I think that more of those type of things should be incorporated in the game. MAtter of factly, I think that there should be a whole side quest where you compete for five ribbons and there is like a special contest league at the end. I think that that would be a very fun addition. I think that there should be special Pokemon contest too like running or olympic like stuff.

I'm really excited about the customization of trainers. I hope it's similar to Animal Crossing's customizations. It obviously won't be as detailed, but I hope it's not disappointing. I think that Pokemon should be customizable, but not like a color change or anything. Just like maybe a hat or ribbon or something, nothing too gaudy like a full outfit. There's a point where you can go too far and make things just tacky. Battle items should not be visible, that just takes away from the surprise element. With the 3D implementation though, more is possible.

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Customable pokemon? No I don't like that to be honest. Trainers, sure I do like that.
I DID like the movies.... just same there wasn't more creativity in them. Like actually writing your own dialogue and expressions and whatnot, with the option to upload that to youtube, or some place else. As they were, I feel the movies were more like trying to train you as if to ask, "What would you do in this situation in a real battle?" type thing, especially if you got lost and followed the script.

What I'd really love it to allow trainers to be able to type chat with each other as they fought one another... or allowed the trainers to create clans or guilds. I think Diamond and Pearl attempted that route a bit. Perhaps it didn't go so well, I don't know.

Years
I honestly would love to be able to walk with the first Pokemon in my party again and have their customization show up in the overworld. Would be very fun and it'd definitely encourage me to collect wearables and dress up my 'mons. Having a more prominent Pokemon contest side quest would be nice, too, as I've always wished the main games wouldn't always push badge collecting above other things. Like Ante said, it would be great if we could be given a choice. :D

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I honestly would love to be able to walk with the first Pokemon in my party again and have their customization show up in the overworld. Would be very fun and it'd definitely encourage me to collect wearables and dress up my 'mons. Having a more prominent Pokemon contest side quest would be nice, too, as I've always wished the main games wouldn't always push badge collecting above other things. Like Ante said, it would be great if we could be given a choice. :D
I want to be able to walk with my pokemon, too. I loved that in HGSS! :) (Optional would be good, of course.) If customization was to appear on the overworld, then this might mean that Gamefreak would have to draw-out each accessory twice? In HGSS, overworld sprites were different from in-battle.

Pokeathalon > Contests and Super Contests > Pokestar Studios > Musicals

This is my own personal preference. If they have contests again, I hope that they make them a lot more of a journey, forcing you to travel to different ones, as opposed to just a single hall (or a multiple halls that have no differences.)

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years
I'm just glad we have character customization finally. As far as in game contests and features go, I want to see the PWT or something like it return. Also, walking with your Pokemon, that is something that needs to return.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
Yes! We need pokemon customization. If I'm going to be running around in some fantasy version of France then I require berets for all my pokemon! It's a known fact that you can't go to France without a beret.

Years
I'm definitely hoping for Pokemon customization and/or contests to return, especially given the whole "beauty" theme and the fact Kalos is based on France. And speaking of accessories for Pokemon, I'd like to see them done in a matter similar to the Musicals, and not like the Contests in Sinnoh.

Years
I really enjoyed the RSE contests, they were simple, but the actual move based contest was execute soooooo much better than D/P. Ugh, I don't want a dance competition either, especially when it's a tough contest! I would love to see different events based on the original five contest categories : Cute, Cool, Beauty, Smart, and Tough. Wifi, judging would also be a neat feature. Players can compete, and spectators can vote for the best outfits and appearances. Though, that would be expecting ALOT. I am sure they have had critical feedback on the musicals and DP contest mechanics and felt the pressure to create a substantive contest gameplay. Fingers Crossed.

Back