The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Line3007

Thank you so much! This was very useful! :D
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:09 PM
xsdbi

i have recently started using this and i tried to set up a warp, i set the event, i made sure i had the map banks right, i have everything set properly, and i did put the tile set for a door, but when i load the game and i go through, instead of taking me where its supposed to go, the screen goes black and i cant do anything, although game music is still playing.

wat do?
Old May 7th, 2013, 07:16 AM
yozzyurubuza
Unhatched Egg

I get this error when I click on route 102, I tried loading a different copy of my pokemon emerald and I don't get that error, what should I do?

Old May 12th, 2013, 08:34 PM
DaShinyMew
Unhatched Egg

I wish you could simplify it in some way... you see im making my first ever hack, and i want it to have a dream, which you battle deoxys, then wake up in your bed. Since i can't understand most of this, i'm not able to do that. can you explain it to me in a simpler way?
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaShinyMew View Post
I wish you could simplify it in some way... you see im making my first ever hack, and i want it to have a dream, which you battle deoxys, then wake up in your bed. Since i can't understand most of this, i'm not able to do that. can you explain it to me in a simpler way?
Well basically this needs scripting but in order to fulfill that you need to have great tiles to so try inserting some new tiles. Try reading some Tile Inserting tutorials around pc and some scripting tutorials too and you should be able to make that dream in no time.
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:31 AM
xYggdrasill
Unhatched Egg

Can I import maps through an easy way too?

Like: If I make a hack, and my friend helps me with mapping. Can he send me that map (from a different rom) and can it get implemented in my hack rom?

I just cant really seem to find it out.
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:30 PM
coolking49

Nature: Adamant
I've got a fairly basic question. I've tried to add cut trees and the rock smash rocks, and from my basic understanding I have to make these person events. I did that, with the right icon, but the sprites wont show up. I tried to copy the code for cut trees from somewhere else in the game (I'm using fire red) but it doesn't work. Any help would be great, thanks!
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Grekox
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Timid
How do you do warps for stairs that are going sideways?
I set it up like you do for going into a house and I even checked a place in the ROM where they did it and I set it up the same way
I put the warp a tile before the stairs and made the permissions for movement C

Any ideas?
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:33 AM
Demynnfire
Crystal Holder

Nature: Quiet
awesome tutorial, helped me a lot!
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:00 PM
reeveelution

theres a bug i found when loading tilesets that i need help getting arround . . .

id load tilesets 0 and 1, and itll chop off the bottom 2 rows of tiles, it also chops of the bottom row of tiles when i use 12 and 20, makeing it so i cant use the bed when making my room... how do i fix this?

Old July 17th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Scribbles
"The Suh Spence"

Thank-you this taught me how to work warps
But I am unsure on how to open scripts and edit them, when I click Open Script it says No Script Editor Found. What is this program that I need.
Old July 17th, 2013, 09:33 AM
J-pop princess
Novice rom hacker

Nature: Hasty
Thank you so so SO much! This really helped me out and I made sure to copy it down as not to forget all of it!

I can't wait to try out some of this and make my first (working) custom map.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:09 PM
ToxicYogurt

Originally Posted by bile777d View Post
Why is it everyone avoid the one question: How do we change map names without it interfering / changing other existing map names?
This.... I only made an account to ask this question...
What I plan to do is editing a fire red rom and create the whole Johto map. Then edit the storyline to make it similar to gold/silver and make Johto pokemon appear only in Johto map and Kanto pokemon in Kanto map.

Last edited by ToxicYogurt; August 3rd, 2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Add my idea.
Old August 4th, 2013, 12:42 AM
BourbonWhiskey
Pokemon Stained Memories

Nature: Calm
Currently reading the thread. Thank you for the tutorial.

FOR TRADE:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&usp=sharing

3DS Friend Code: 5215-0717-7839
3655 3173 6505 - Pokemon White 2 Friend Code MAIN GAME
2323 8675 3566 - Pokemon Black 2 Friend Code[/sig-reason]
Old August 5th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Chichoo

Thanks for the handy tutorial!
I had a question to burden on you. Whenever I make a map I use the dimensions that are recommended or commonly used. And Whenever I am testing lets say I used 13x10 those tiles are being displayed fine but all around boarding the entire image there are these blue, greenish water-like tiles. Almost like a glitch or its messed up.

Any ideas?
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:26 AM
jatikeren

hello...

can you help me ..?
when i make a new map
why to be like this.. ?
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:39 AM
BladeGallade

i cant get the required tiles to create my map like the exit of a cave tile is missing from the blocks HELP!
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:03 AM
freddy f1shf1nger

You can make your own tiles by clicking on block editor and selecting a blank space from the bank on the left. From here you can choose the pieces in the middle bank and give them the values that you want. I found this worthwhile because I could add small bits into my game which had the same palette as the other pieces and looked like they are part of the map rather than just add ons. I made stairs which face backwards for firered out of this, which some people would know only have forward facing staris.
Old August 24th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Level 51

I'm currently getting a pretty severe bug in Littleroot which (as far as I can tell) your guide does not cover:

{I would include pictures but 15 post rule lol)
A gap in the lower layer of trees allows movement downwards. Going down activates the person event where the girl stops you from going out, and you get forced into an identical map below. Once you've saved the Prof and you go downwards and then back up, you enter a glitched version of Route 101. Why is this happening and how can I fix this?
Old November 15th, 2013, 03:03 PM
jatomlinson

I've been playing around in Advance Map and XSE trying to hack and I have a lot of questions because things don't seem to be working right. I'm hacking Fire Red.

1) I have a grasp of Warps, and have gotten most of them to work correctly on the town I'm making. However, I have an issue with one of the warps coming out of one of the houses. In Advance map when I click 'follow' to follow the warp out to the town, it works just fine, and when I click follow to go back into the house, it works fine. I've double and triple checked and the map bank/warp numbers all match up. When I go into the game to test it however, and I walk out of the house, it takes me to some strange room that looks like a battle room and there's a lady waiting in there. If you stick around it tries to pair you with a big black square instead of a pokemon and gives you a big black square for your pokemon. If you walk out of this room it takes you back to the house. What's gone wrong?

2) How do I set the starting house that the player will appear in when you first start the game, and can I set it to appear somewhere on the town map instead of inside a house? How do I do this?

3) I'm having trouble with people events I add to the map. I add a little girl sprite up at the top of the map somewhere and script her, set the movement to 0. When I go into the game, she's not where I put her, she's down somewhere near the bottom of the map. Doesn't seem to matter where I move her to, she's determined to appear at the same spot towards the bottom of the map. Secondly, when I talk to her, she says the script I put into XSE but says it all jumbled together. For instance if I write a line that says: "What are you looking at me like that for?" and then the next line is: "Are you going to steal from me?"
It comes out like this: "What are you looking at me like are you going to steal?" And then it will bring up the next line and say: "going to steal like that for?"
I double and triple check this in XSE and it appears to have rearranged itself after I script it. It's frustrating.

3) I had put another person event into place, scripted him, and when I went to talk to him in game the entire screen went black. I could still hear the music, but there was no way to get out of the black screen except to restart. Does anyone know why this happened?

I'm a total noob, and apologies in advance for all the questions. As a side note, I tried using two other scripting programs first before using XSE because the other ones looked easier to use. I tried using Advance Text but when I went to load the ROM and clicked on the hacked ROM it opened up like the base ROM not the one I'd hacked and changed the village name and appearance. I tried several times and even downloaded a different version of Advance Text and nada. Couldn't get it to load. Anyone know how to fix that?

Thanks!
Old November 19th, 2013, 10:12 AM
masterxy

Nature: Relaxed
I was going to try out this tutorial when I found out advance map seems to simply have vanished from the internet. all the doenload links are invalid and using google doesn't lead to anything useful either.. Is there a similar program or a new homepage for am that I just didnt notice?

Old November 20th, 2013, 03:48 AM
arjunblouria

How to change the starting point of the game. I mean how can we make the player start the game from another location.
Old November 20th, 2013, 04:16 AM
VV
ブラック

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to VV
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunblouria View Post
How to change the starting point of the game. I mean how can we make the player start the game from another location.
You need the tool called "Starter map chooser advance."
You should find it on the toolbox section, oh also, if you are hacking R/S/E.
I recommend you use the truck remover, it also features almost the same.
But obviously, it removes the truck and only for R/S/E. Good luck there!
Old November 20th, 2013, 05:11 AM
arjunblouria

Thank you so much for the help. I really needed this.
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:01 AM
salman pd star

Nature: Gentle
oh my head i get attack by confuise

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links