The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:48 AM
PokeChris123
Pokémon Trainer

Nature: Quiet
Hey guys. Everytime I play Pokemon and I hear Vileplume, I think of Aerodactyl. And everytime I hear Aerodactyl, I think of Vileplume. Now, is it just me, or does the sound of these two Pokemon sound a lot a like? If so, does this mean they have some kind of special relationship?
signature is too tall. The Super Secret Base QR Code by itself is too tall, even. The QR code image is 400 pixels tall, while the maximum height a signature can be is 350 pixels including ALL content. Please figure out some way to resize the QR code image in your signature if you are going to include it in your signature.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 16th, 2013, 06:26 AM
SuperEspeon
Sinnohbaby

Yeah, I think that's just you.
Old July 16th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Altair
Incognito

Nature: Brave
Those aren't the only Pokemon that sound similar. Charizard/Rhyhorn, Machoke/Growlithe, Pidgeotto/Chansey and Poliwhirl/Wigglytuff have similar cries.
They don't have a special kinds of relationships though...

It's only Gen I Pokemon I've noticed this with, correct me if there are more?

Last edited by Altair; July 16th, 2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old July 16th, 2013, 06:50 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
There are more Pokemon that sound alike in Gen I. Caterpie and Goldeen. Poliwag, Jigglypuff and Ditto. Wartortle and Tauros. Eevee and the Gen I Eeveelutions. Metapod and Tentacruel. Some Pokemon have similar cries in Gen I because of the limited technology on hand to make those cries.

Old July 16th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Psychic-X

I suppose they do have a similar cry, but I can't see how they are related at all - they are very different.
Old July 16th, 2013, 04:47 PM
PokeChris123
Pokémon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer_Altair View Post
Those aren't the only Pokemon that sound similar. Charizard/Rhyhorn, Machoke/Growlithe, Pidgeotto/Chansey and Poliwhirl/Wigglytuff have similar cries.
They don't have a special kinds of relationships though...

It's only Gen I Pokemon I've noticed this with, correct me if there are more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
There are more Pokemon that sound alike in Gen I. Caterpie and Goldeen. Poliwag, Jigglypuff and Ditto. Wartortle and Tauros. Eevee and the Gen I Eeveelutions. Metapod and Tentacruel. Some Pokemon have similar cries in Gen I because of the limited technology on hand to make those cries.
I didn't know about this, I gotta check this out.
signature is too tall. The Super Secret Base QR Code by itself is too tall, even. The QR code image is 400 pixels tall, while the maximum height a signature can be is 350 pixels including ALL content. Please figure out some way to resize the QR code image in your signature if you are going to include it in your signature.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Cassino

Quote:
Some Pokemon have similar cries in Gen I because of the limited technology on hand to make those cries.
So where did they get the technology to make the second generation cries, also initially released for the standard Gameboy? I think it was more the case that they were pressed for time and/or resources... although you do say 'on hand' so my apologies if this is what you meant anyway.
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Hikamaru
dude, woman up!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
I agree with this smart cookie here, the main reason why most of the 1st Gen Pokemon cries are too same or similar-sounding as each other is mainly due to the limited sound technology back in those days. In later generations you'll notice that the sound technology and the cries of the later gen Pokemon are way more advanced and different. Such as Starly sounding like chirping birds or Kricketot sounding like a xylophone.
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
It's because of limited cartridge space so most cries are just variations of an existing bank. Takes much less space to code a sound distortion than add a completely new sound.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old July 17th, 2013, 12:20 AM
molivious
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Some Pokemon have similar cries in Gen I because of the limited technology on hand to make those cries.
It's the technology to "produce", and not to "make", that was lacking. Gameboy Phat's audio features were very limited. Which, iirc, was only of 4-bit quality.

They had created "base cries", from which all the cries would originate from. According to Bulbapedia, there were only 37 base cries for Gen I, and 67 (+30) for Gen II. Again, these base cries were only tweaked and modified to create a total of 151/252 "different" pokemon cries. This explains why some Gen I and Gen II cries sound very similar.

With the release of GBA and better consoles (8-bit sound tech+), the limitation has been lifted to much better heights.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
Old July 18th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Sheep
im actually a foot model

Nature: Timid
Charizard and Rhyhorn's cries are almost identical (or even identical?) as well as Poliwag and Ditto's, so yeah... but I don't think Vileplume and Aerodactyl sound anything alike, personally. :O Similar, maybe, but not really enough to mistake one for the other, haha.

da best | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3
Avatar by Lilith | Signature by Achromatic
Old July 19th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Cassino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
It's because of limited cartridge space so most cries are just variations of an existing bank. Takes much less space to code a sound distortion than add a completely new sound.
If that's true, how did they fit everything into Gold and Silver? Unless they used a newer version of the Gameboy cartridge, there should be a lot of effectively free space on RBY carts.
Old July 20th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Limerent
I can hear you.
Community Supporter

Check out this video guys, pretty much exactly what you are talking about Yeah I think Gen 1 limitations are the cause this but are there any newer generation Pokemon that sound similar to others? That'd be interesting to know.

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Sydian
you burn with us

Nature: Timid
There were only a certain amount of cries they had back then (I want to say around 10, but don't quote me on that) and each cry for gen I Pokemon is basically a repeat. Some are sped up, slowed down, and have pitches changed so that they sound different. But yeah. That answers that.

paired to peeta
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:29 PM
PokeChris123
Pokémon Trainer

That video was quite interesting. I've never noticed that many Generation 1 Pokemon had many similar cries.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links