Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Reload this Page oh man, not a virus!! D:

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Old July 18th, 2013 (03:29 PM).
★☆let go of everything
ModeratorCS

Nature: Brave
Getting a virus, or other form of computer malware is the absolute worst thing that could happen to your computer. Sometimes they can be removed easily using your Antivirus, other times, you may have to shell out a few bucks or so and let the professionals do their job. Viruses and malware aren't just computer things, you can also get them in tablets and smartphones (even I was mindblown by that when I was first told xD). There's a plethora of antiviruses for you to buy or download, some of them work extensively to keep your computer protected, some are just plain dumb and only just bloat your computer.

Tell us your virus stories! Have you ever had a virus or a form of malware before? If you had a computer virus in the past, were you able to get rid of it?

What Antivirus do you currently use?

Old July 18th, 2013 (03:47 PM).
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I use avg free and malwarebytes antimalware pro in my computer. In my phone, I'm just not an idiot with what I install.
Old July 18th, 2013 (03:51 PM).
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Once upon a time when I was younger, I was really, really, careless with my main computer up to the point on where I've had 50 viruses on it. .___. It took about 45 minutes to clean up... ergh. Fortunately that was in the past now, and I'm using avast!, plus I'm really, really careful on what websites I visit. ^^;;

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old July 18th, 2013 (03:55 PM).
Shape the future!
Gold Tier

Nature: Careful
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 and Malwarebytes. That's all I've used for years and I've had no problems.

Back in the day, I used to use some form of Norton that came free with our SBC Global subscription. I remember it sucking hard. Then I learned how to clean infections and haven't had a problem since.

"I have fallen from the Land of Magic. I am Stardust Witch Meruru!"
Combat Arms | Raptr | Hummingbird | Last.fm
Old July 18th, 2013 (04:13 PM).
ModeratorCS

Nature: Jolly
I've used Microsoft Security Essentials since 2011 and have had the best luck with it since. I also have Malwarebytes on my system for the once-in-a-while scan that I do to really ensure my system is protected.

Before MSE, I had Norton on my systems and it was slow as hell, and it actually had gotten me some viruses, just can't remember how many.

If I went for a paid antivirus though, I would probably use ESET NOD32 as I've heard nothing but good about it, but I just don't think paying for an antivirus program is my thing, even though it guarantees quality.
Old July 18th, 2013 (10:51 PM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
I'm using MSE and I might go for NOD 32 soon...

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old July 18th, 2013 (11:28 PM). Edited July 18th, 2013 by Starry Windy.
I am a Dreamer~
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
I did get some virus, but it's on many years ago, back then I have to ask the pros to delete them. But now I managed to careful to not letting any virus go through, that my PC is safe for now.

And currently I used Avira to protect me.
Old July 18th, 2013 (11:50 PM).
Angeline plushxKikaito plush

Nature: Naughty
I use AVG free and found I had 12 virus and 3 trodans on this laptop.
If I was going to buy an Anti-virus it would be AVG.
Old July 19th, 2013 (12:15 AM).
█ uranianUmbra

Send a message via AIM to Callīope Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Callīope Send a message via Skype™ to Callīope
I use AVG, and I've had this computer almost two years, and only recently have been getting any threats. AVG gets rid of them easy enough. I know some people say it's not the best program, but it's certainly not the worst either.

- also Drew.

paired to timaeusTestified

this is how to be a heart breaker
boys, they like a little danger.
i la-la-la-la-love you. ❤
[S] The Prince is Awake.
tumblr || EGC || flavors.me
Old July 19th, 2013 (01:24 AM).
clearly there's something wrong
ModeratorCS

Nature: Naughty
Like some others in this thread, I also use AVG free and it's the best I've used so far. Norton is incompatible with far too many things and McAfee is too unreliable from my history with it. As for having a serious virus before, I'm not sure that I have, though there's been countless cases of malware (most somewhat malicious!) but I've never been through anything too bad.
Old July 19th, 2013 (01:42 AM).
Summoner of the Great Spirits
Silver Tier

Nature: Lonely
I use Linux and I think that should suffice as an answer :D

Even on Windows I don't remember having any virus at all. As an antivirus programm I'm using Avast on my Windows installation, which does the job pretty well.
Old July 19th, 2013 (06:32 AM).
Nothing of significance

I don't run an anti-virus program on Windows. I'm just really careful with what I install. I usually end up intentionally nuking everything and reinstalling Windows at least once a month anyway, either because I feel it needs it or because I've broken something messing with GParted, so if I ever get infected it's not a huge loss anyway.

*prepares for influx of comments telling him to reconsider*
Old July 19th, 2013 (06:52 PM).
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Gold Tier

Nature: Lax
At my old workplace, I had to clean a computer that had been infected with a particularly awful virus. Eventually, I just decided to wipe it and start over. I guess it infected the boot sector or something, because even after wiping and reinstalling Windows, it still acted wonky. I had to use a Kaspersky tool that was specifically made to get rid of it to fix it. I don't remember the name of it, but man, that thing was a pain in the ass.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old July 28th, 2013 (06:52 PM). Edited August 2nd, 2013 by Nomine.
サトセレ

Nature: Calm
I have multiple computers at home and for some reason I like to run different antivirus programs on them... eheh. I use Avast! on my iMac, Kaspersky on my Windows desktop, and Bitdefender on my Windows laptop. When my subscriptions run out, I'll just run Avast! on all of them. It'll be much cheaper. (since it's free!) I'll just install Malwarebytes as a precaution.

My Role-Playing Twitter Accounts follow!
Writer
Brock
Calem
Old July 28th, 2013 (06:58 PM). Edited July 28th, 2013 by droomph.
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
Well, Macs can't get viruses because nobody has bothered! I'm sure that I'll get a virus soon enough, but the thing is other than a couple --ahem-- illegal activities I really don't download anything from a shady-looking plain HTML page :p

Though I did download Linux and Windows 7 on Virtual Box, but if that goes down the hillick I can just reinstall everything :p

Quote originally posted by Catalyst.:
I don't run an anti-virus program on Windows. I'm just really careful with what I install. I usually end up intentionally nuking everything and reinstalling Windows at least once a month anyway, either because I feel it needs it or because I've broken something messing with GParted, so if I ever get infected it's not a huge loss anyway.

*prepares for influx of comments telling him to reconsider*
HA I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I ONLY WAS GOING TO TELL YOU TO GET A BACKUP DRIVE

Old July 28th, 2013 (07:41 PM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
I use McAfee on my computer and AVG free on my android mobile. I think the PC is clean but perhaps using my phone for certain, ahem, dubious websites and accidentally bringing up advertising links to even more dubious websites has automatically downloaded something fishy and given me a warning before. I just did a scan and it says it's clean so I guess i'm ok. I think the rather large "dubious" sites I visit occasionally are safe, smaller ones you shouldn't use though, very likely to catch a virus or malware Large ones are fine though.
Old July 28th, 2013 (11:28 PM).
Nothing shredded, nothing gained.
ModeratorCS

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Osiris
Up until sometime last year, I'd been using the free version of Avast for my anti-virus, and I'd never had any problems with it. I ended up getting an extra code from a family member that paid for Norton 360 Premier, though, so I switched over to that. It honestly seems to be working as well as Avast does, but I'll probably end up switching back to it once the program period runs out or I get a new computer (whichever comes first), just since the free version already did what I needed it to.

And considering how old my computer is, I've been fortunate enough to never get anything more than the occasional malware, whereas my dad and sister have both had their laptops hit with a number of viruses in the past.
Old July 29th, 2013 (10:35 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Meganium90:
Tell us your virus stories! Have you ever had a virus or a form of malware before? If you had a computer virus in the past, were you able to get rid of it?

What Antivirus do you currently use?
Yes. My old PC had more viruses than your average hospital. We had to get the pros out, who then took it away for a few days to fix it. Kept getting these problems (me and my brother in particular were a little less savvy about our downloads then), until we got Malwarebytes Antimalware to go with AVG Free.

Now, on my Mac, I've never had a virus (touch wood). I use iAntivirus because it's free and I'm not a moron with my downloads, plus most viruses are designed for PCs.

I have nothing on my iPod, and my phone's a relic so doesn't need it.
Old July 30th, 2013 (07:56 AM).
let it h a p p e n
Crystal Tier

I use the built-in windows defender on my Windows 8 laptop. I don't feel the need to use anything else as it does the trick for me.
Old July 30th, 2013 (09:49 AM).
dance of swords
AdministratorCS

Nature: Timid
I've gotten several viruses when I had a Windows laptop and they were always fixed through either a scan or system restore. I've had some strange viruses but none of them were really that threatening in the long run. Now that I use a Mac, I've had no viruses though. :D

ClamXav is my antivirus program of choice on my Macbook.
Old July 30th, 2013 (11:56 AM).
The countdown begins ...

Nature: Gentle
So many viruses, I can hardly count! My Microsoft Security Essentials has been through so much in it's painful life. Fixing viruses on my piece of junk metal is a pain, I can't go on it or do anything for 2 to 3 days, and it destroys my electricity bill. >0< Most of the viruses were caused by me raging because I couldn't download games quick enough or play them efficiently, so I tried to download RAM and more space. Oh I'm such a derp.

23 days until~
Old July 30th, 2013 (07:51 PM).
Leader of the TTOTD clan

Quote originally posted by Meganium90:
Viruses and malware aren't just computer things, you can also get them in tablets and smartphones (even I was mindblown by that when I was first told xD).
Of course you can. Everything which has some sort of OS (operating system) can get a virus. Doesn't matter if it's a Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod, a PC with Linux, or even an old Nokia. The reason why Apple has said many times that Mac is 100% virus proof is because not many people could afford a Mac, therefore hackers didn't bother making viruses when so few people have a Mac. But these days far more people have one, so Mac is pretty much as vulnerable to viruses as Windows is.
Old July 30th, 2013 (08:52 PM).

On this computer (the one I'm typing this on), I've had only one major virus infect my system. It was so bad that I almost broke down and asked my dad if he could reset my entire computer. Almost. To give you an idea of how bad it was...I could barely run this thing in Safe Mode without it crashing and restarting. Luckily I consulted a site that has experts on removing all sorts of malware. They identified the problem and had it fixed within 2 weeks. Fearing some low-life stole usernames/passwords from my computer, I changed most of them after it was fixed. So...lucky me I guess?

The ironic thing is that I still don't have an active anti-spyware/AV tool on my computer (the best I have is Microsoft Security Essentials, and I don't really believe in stock tools)
Old August 28th, 2013 (10:10 AM). Edited August 29th, 2013 by IggyKoopa.
#429: magical pokémon

Nature: Lonely
(as this was meant to be its own thread, I shall edit: )

You know the "your computer has lots of viruses it you need this obvious scam to fix it" phone call? Have any of you ever gotten it? What did you do with the person on the other end? Has someone you know ever fallen for it?

(sorry for the hijacking, but the mods moved it)
Old August 28th, 2013 (10:37 AM).
L-let's a-go...!
Silver Tier

Nature: Jolly
I've gotten a similar one, that went something like this: "Hello, I'm from Microsoft, and I hear you've been having problems with your computer...? We'd like to offer you this fantastic deal to sort out your proble- *sound of me slamming phone down*".
Calls like that get me so mad.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ NNID: skyluigi
☆ PSN ID: Jellygamer
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Mario Maker, Yo-Kai Watch and Little Battlers eXperience

☆ Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. and Yoshi's Woolly World

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

☆ Paired with Tsutarja

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)