Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Pixel Art
Notices

Pixel Art For your creative works that focus on every individual pixel. Share (but not steal) your works with others to suit many purposes.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 30th, 2013, 02:11 AM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Advertise here
I feel at the current state, the forum has a lot of Sticky Threads. Does anyone have any ideas on which threads should unstick/merge, etc to reduce the amount? So far I think I should unstick the WPC poll and challenge threads should be unstuck.
pair: Sheep
【=◈︿◈=】
Old June 30th, 2013, 02:20 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
I think that both the WPCs can be unstuck due to the fact that they will last not more than a week and there's not much activity/galleries, so they always will be in the top few anyway.
Also, I think that the WPC guidelines and the Medal Ledger can be merged with the Pixel Art rules as a next section of it, that won't be much of a bother, and the forum would look neater.
~
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:23 PM
papayaperson
Intermediate Hackker

Nature: Relaxed
Just curious... I used to sprite a lot, but they weren't great, so I stopped that and returned to physical drawing and subsequent concept art for my sprites. I'm trying to sprite my Draguard fakemon, and I've gotten in the colors, lineart, etc, but somethings just don't look right and I think it's because of my dithering. What type of "surface" should I dither the lighting on more/less? I thought I'd ask here where the more experienced at this are
Old July 11th, 2013, 05:22 AM
The Dark Avenger
PumpkaBOO!

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayaperson View Post
Just curious... I used to sprite a lot, but they weren't great, so I stopped that and returned to physical drawing and subsequent concept art for my sprites. I'm trying to sprite my Draguard fakemon, and I've gotten in the colors, lineart, etc, but somethings just don't look right and I think it's because of my dithering. What type of "surface" should I dither the lighting on more/less? I thought I'd ask here where the more experienced at this are
I suggest posting an image in the pixel art show case thread of what you have done so far, this will allow for any of us on here to help you more proficiently.

On another note, I would like to suggest a devamp/retro fakemon sprite, as well as any sort of Trainer Sprite theme for upcoming Weekly Pixel Contests. I don't think we have covered trainers yet? I just think that would be especially fun to see what everyone comes up with.

Also, I'd like to commend Logiedan for the nice diversity of themes he has implemented thus far.
No, I am not sucking up to you in order for you to consider my suggestions for upcoming themes :p
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Logiedan

I was going to do a Trainer Theme, it might be in two weeks or so.

And a devamp is a good idea too. Maybe with some extra twists and turns.
【=◈︿◈=】
Old July 13th, 2013, 11:18 PM
GhostStrategy

Hey guys, I used to be a big sprite artist for a bunch of MegaMan hacks. I gave up on it a few years back. Now that I have a new computer all I have is the 'new' MSPaint, does anyone use it still? I feel like it is so much different from the old.
Check out my YouTube! YouTube.com/GhostStrategy
Lot's of Pokémon videos, you can even play on your iPhone!
Old July 14th, 2013, 02:15 AM
R.F.
Badass Overlord

Nature: Calm
I know that there are some people who still use MS Paint, even though the newer programm seems to be a little bit more annoying than the old one. I think I've used it a couple of times and finally installed Gimp which serves me quite better (also normally I don't use Windows anymore so I have to use alternatives to MS Paint xD).
"You foolishly foolish fool dreaming your foolishly foolish dreams!"
Old July 14th, 2013, 02:48 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I tend to just use it for spriting whenever I feel like it, just for fun. I prefer it over other programs. I just find it a lot easier to use and not much of a hassle.
Old July 15th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

It has a pencil tool, an eyedropper tool and a copy-paster, and that's all we need. Try not to be too dependent on the kind of program you're using, I use MS-Paint in Win 7 because it's smooth and it loads in a jiffy. However, while working with palettes I restrict myself to GIMP along with the helping hand of IrfanView.

In the end, all it matters is that you should make the pixels work you, not work for the pixels.
~
Old July 16th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Logiedan

It all comes to matter of preference to be honest. But having the basic tools is enough, pixel art shouldn't require fancy tools, gradients and all of that anyways as that starts to cross the line of whether it is pixel art or not. There are amazing pixel artists out there that only use the original Windows XP Microsoft Paint.
【=◈︿◈=】
Old July 19th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Logiedan

Previously, the whole Art forum use to have an official request thread that was later nuked mainly due to inconsistency and inactivity. Do you guys think it would be used if I made a little sticky thread over on Pixel Projects for requests?

Any ideas about this would be helpful, although it seems fairly simple to me. Requests can be made from several people and whoever wants to do a request would post the result and/or PM/VM the person who requested. This was the previous format of the old old old odldododldodldodollddldlldldd pixel art request thread.
【=◈︿◈=】
Old July 20th, 2013, 12:31 AM
blackmoonflower
You won't like me if I'm angry

Nature: Quiet
Having a sticky in Pixel Projects might be a good idea. Although that probably still won't stop people from posting request threads in this section. :/

<dA <Pixel thread <Etsy
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Logiedan

I'm sad. I see so many trainer sprites lately but no entries to the WPC. ;-;
i had to scrap it so, I'm going to be thinking and making a new one.
【=◈︿◈=】
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:37 AM
blackmoonflower

I have a suggestion of the next WPC, Logie. How about Mega evolutions? Since that's like the latest thing now, maybe people can make Megas based off other Pokemon.

<dA <Pixel thread <Etsy
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoonflower View Post
I have a suggestion of the next WPC, Logie. How about Mega evolutions? Since that's like the latest thing now, maybe people can make Megas based off other Pokemon.
I'm seconding this. No doubt people are fantasising on which Mega-Evo they'd like to see, and how they'd want it to look.
~
Old September 1st, 2013, 03:38 AM
CreativeVision

heej there, Im new to the whole spriting, but I've been wondering a few things and thought this might be the right place to ask.

Ive read some tutorials on trainer sprites and making pokemon sprites. Some give you a limit on the color palet for trainers (16) and even less for pokemon, why is that? and are there some sort of rules for tilesets as well? The few trainersprites I made through fusing some existing sprites I've kept limited to 16 colors, but some just require more colors to be how they were intended..
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:17 AM
blackmoonflower

I'm pretty sure the limit is always 16 colors. (That's 15 + transparency as a 16th color) I'm not sure about tiles since I don't really make tiles, but for Pokemon and Trainer sprites, that's your limit if you're planning on inserting them into a GBA or higher hack. If you have no intention of using the sprites in a hack, then you don't really need to worry about the color limit.

<dA <Pixel thread <Etsy
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:32 AM
CreativeVision

Does the same count for fan made games, 16 color limit? Or is it not relevant there either?
Gallery: uncharted waters|Deviantart
It's true that writers create new worlds...
but it's the reader that makes them come alive!
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:05 PM
Silversnk
Valar Dohaeris

15 (plus transparency color) color limit if you're hacking a ROM (It applies for trainersprites, pokémon and tiles). If you're making a fangame with an engine like RPG Maker or Game Maker, etc, there's no color limit unless you want to strictly follow the "rules".

I have a question to you guys about anti-aliasing: Is there a secret to it?
Anti-aliasing has always been a hard technique for me to master, there are so many types of anti-aliasing.

Like for example take a look at these mugshots: (Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors)

The shadows are pretty basic, but the anti-alias between them it's too 'perfect'. I was just wondering, what reasoning do you guys use to apply anti-alias to your works?
I'd like to know what different "methods" do you employ on this subject.

deviantART:
~Akkien
Please forgive my horrible english as it's not my primary language.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:06 AM
blackmoonflower

I'm no pro at anti-aliasing, but what I try to do is use a mid color between where two different shades touch, like your base color and your shadow for example. Placing so much as one pixel of a color that's a shade somewhere in between those two colors, usually along somewhat jagged edges, makes for a smoother transition and makes it look more "natural". I don't know if I really explained that right. It's 6 in the morning and I haven't slept yet. I might try to provide a visual example later on to better explain what I'm trying to say.

<dA <Pixel thread <Etsy
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:28 AM
Noscium

Nature: Modest
Anti aliasing (AA) is a very interesting technic.
It allow you to play easyli with colours, its very important.

Pixel artist use it in order to smooth their sprite or to allow some strange colours palettes in a sprite.

Here's an exemple with a really smooth piece, due to the AA
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/78101.htm

For exemple, this guy use anti aliasing in order to make some variation of tone.
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/76805.htm

Personally I use AA naturally, its a part of my style. I think its coz I like smooths colours..

You can read this tutorial, if you want increase your pixel skill
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/foru....asp?TID=11299

There's a lot of possibility on pixel art, with anti aliasing or not, srsly.

Hovewer, you speak about a secret.. s

Hmm I can say something.
There's just one secret,in pixel art.
Just try everything. Pixel art is'nt just gamefreak,or mario or whatever,don't care about people, try everything, its the more important thing on pixel art, be free.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:06 PM
Silversnk
Valar Dohaeris

Thanks for the info, that's was really helpful.
According to the terms used in the tutorial, it seems that I'm not mixing sel-out and AA properly. Of course, it all depends on the look that I need for the work but most of the time I just use one of the two techniques.

Now that I'm free to use the number of colors I want (I used to make sprites for hacks and stuff like that), I'll be trying various combinations of techniques in order to get different results.

Finally I can have a deeper approach to Pixel Art (:

deviantART:
~Akkien
Please forgive my horrible english as it's not my primary language.
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversnk View Post
Thanks for the info, that's was really helpful.
According to the terms used in the tutorial, it seems that I'm not mixing sel-out and AA properly. Of course, it all depends on the look that I need for the work but most of the time I just use one of the two techniques.

Now that I'm free to use the number of colors I want (I used to make sprites for hacks and stuff like that), I'll be trying various combinations of techniques in order to get different results.

Finally I can have a deeper approach to Pixel Art (:
Just remember that by AAing more than usual, you can get to blend in two colours that normally wouldn't go together. This is especially useful in sceneries, where the elements in the background don't blend in due to the dark outlines.

You must also remember to never overdo AAs, since that could make the outlines too thick and essentially ruin the image. If you're going for a more detailed style, however, you can use much AA and smoothen your image.

AA can also be used to make pixel versions of digital art (thick outlines, much blending, etc.) for showcasing. It just depends on the approach, as you may know :)
~
Old November 6th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Krakanous

I'm trying to insert a new sprite into diamond, i'm replacing the charmander first of all with my new pokemon just to see if it works, the front sprite is absolutely fine, however, the backsprite keeps messing up, in that certain shades are black ish and looks as if they are in 'negative' kinda, ill show you what i mean:

Here is my sprite im trying to insert (in the case, it's Avalugg):

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ustuet.png

However, this is what it looksl ike in POKEPICDS when i go back to it after scrolling through other images:

http://i43.tinypic.com/j0e9sw.jpg

What's going wrong here? My image is only 16 colours, my image is 160x80, 8bit depth, Al attributes, i'm using the exact same background pallete, whats going on? Even if i change the background pallete colour it won't change, it just reverts back.

Any help would be great.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Logiedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakanous View Post
I'm trying to insert a new sprite into diamond, i'm replacing the charmander first of all with my new pokemon just to see if it works, the front sprite is absolutely fine, however, the backsprite keeps messing up, in that certain shades are black ish and looks as if they are in 'negative' kinda, ill show you what i mean:

Here is my sprite im trying to insert (in the case, it's Avalugg):

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ustuet.png

However, this is what it looksl ike in POKEPICDS when i go back to it after scrolling through other images:

http://i43.tinypic.com/j0e9sw.jpg

What's going wrong here? My image is only 16 colours, my image is 160x80, 8bit depth, Al attributes, i'm using the exact same background pallete, whats going on? Even if i change the background pallete colour it won't change, it just reverts back.

Any help would be great.
This is more of a rom-hacking question, but I'll leave it here for grabs. I don't know much about ROM-hacking tools myself, so I apologize. This is a pixel art sub-forum after all..
【=◈︿◈=】

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here