• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

How long have you played?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I got my first Pokemon game (Diamond version) March of '11 and have played it since them. Due to a lack of a game system that can play Gen I and II, so far I've played III - V.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I never played a Pokemon video game until I was in 4th grade, and that first game was Sapphire. I've been playing Pokemon for around 10 years now.

Years
As the First Generation games were released a few months before I was born (December '96), I didn't get into the games until around '05. A friend got me into Pokemon in Year 3 ('05) and I bought Pokemon Blue on eBay followed shortly by Red and, unfortunately, a counterfeit copy of Ruby with my GBA SP that Christmas (which subsequently deleted itself when I had seen 180/200 in the Pokedex). I got the NDS on my 10th birthday along with Pokemon Ranger. The next year I got Diamond on my birthday, and grabbed Pearl the next year, along with Emerald on eBay. Bought Platinum the same month it was released and since then have got one of each new pair of games on release date, and on two occasions, the corresponding strategy guide. So, after that essay, here is the timeline of the main series games I acquired:

Blue, Red, Ruby - '05
Diamond - '07
Pearl, Emerald - '08
Platinum - '09
SoulSilver + Strategy Guide - '10
Black, Sapphire - '11
HeartGold, Black 2 + Strategy Guide - '12
FireRed - '13

So, doing the math, I have been playing Pokemon for 8-9 years. I also enjoy the anime and have Seasons 1-14 and all the movies up to Victini (excluding The First Movie)

greenking13

LORD OF ZHERRY
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2014
I moved and met a person who had pokemon Red... Fell in love with the game and the dudes like a cousin now.

Still love Emerald the most though.

Gogofreak

Touhou and Pokemon Fanatic
Years
I've been playing Pokemon for less than a year. I found my Gameboy Advance, bought Emerald and fell in love. Although, I was a fan of the trading card game when I was younger, liked the anime later, then I discovered Pokememes. So I have been a fan of Pokemon for my entire life, in a way!

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2020
I really can't remember when I started playing since I was really young. All I know is that I started with Pokemon Yellow then Crystal, Emerald, Diamond, Soulsilver, White, and White 2.

Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2013
Yeah I just beat white 2s main story (the pokemon league.) I loved it so much I bought Black 2 as well. LOL. My birthday is in Aug. so i am paying off X and Y then and my ps4.

Years
I started my adventure when I was 11 (going on 12) years old, in August 2008. The current generation that was out was the 4th. I just picked up Pearl from a nearby Gamestop that one of my aunts was so kind enough to buy for me. Back then, I didn't understand much of the game mechanics (except for the slightly obvious "power = damage" and "HP = life" parts). Clearing the E4 and securing the HoF took a lot of my time, compared to now. Now that I'm 16 (going on 17), not to brag but...I believe I have a deep understanding of most of the mechanics that this game has to offer. I don't own a lot of the games...in fact I only own 3. Pearl (mentioned earlier), Black 2 (November 2012), and SoulSilver (January 2013). I USED to own a GBA cartridge of Pokemon Emerald, but I have no idea where it went...

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
I've been playing since I could read well enough to understand the games, so I started when I was 4. Which means I've been playing for 12 years. I stopped playing for a few months when Black and White came out because they didn't appeal to me all that much, but I eventually caved and started playing again. I don't even want to know how many hours I have invested into the series total O.o

Red99

World Champion
Years
When I was 5, Pokemon was really big at my school, so I wanted to play too. At that point, my brother and I started collecting cards, and my brother's friend lent me a gameboy and Pokemon Yellow. My brother soon after bought Emerald, so I bought Sapphire. Since then, I've been playing the games as they came out, after buying my DS that later broke into pieces. I don't collect too many cards anymore, mainly because I already have 1000+ cards.

Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2013
When I was 5, Pokemon was really big at my school, so I wanted to play too. At that point, my brother and I started collecting cards, and my brother's friend lent me a gameboy and Pokemon Yellow. My brother soon after bought Emerald, so I bought Sapphire. Since then, I've been playing the games as they came out, after buying my DS that later broke into pieces. I don't collect too many cards anymore, mainly because I already have 1000+ cards.

i miss the cards. I may start collecting again here soon. I hear the new set of cards has a beast deck.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 5, 2018
I first got introduced to Pokemon through the anime, then after about a year I guess, I got a special Gameboy along with Yellow, This was about 99 I guess? anyway I've been playing them ever since

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
Years
Ever since I was old enough to pick up a game boy color. I remember me and my brother getting one each. I got blue, he got yellow, and my sister already had red. I chose Squirtle, she got Charmander.

It was a blast when we got the trade cable accessory, trading our hard worked on Pokemon back and forth to help each other advance in the game. Man were those the days. Not to many times like that between us anymore though :( .

Years
I first started Pokemon gaming in 2002 with Pokemon Silver, and it was just about one of the most magical experiences I've ever had when I beat Lance.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I started playing in 2010 when it was my sophomore year in high school. My parents didn't want me going broke for the franchise when I was little and they thought it was too violent for me (yeah, my parents were WAY overprotective) so I bought Pokemon Black on a school band trip and I've loved it ever since. I started a sort of ladder rank system for my school and I finished my senior year as the number 1 seed. I even earned the nickname "the popemon" (pope + pokemon) and was the go to guy for anything pokemon related. When I got into pokemon I got INTO pokemon. XD

I got a little off track there, but I've been playing for three years.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
For my 8th birthday my dad got me Yellow Version and a yellow Gameboy Color that said Pokémon on it, had pictures of different Pokémon, and around the Power light was a Pokeball. I've been hooked ever since!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Since 1999, baby!

First time I reached the Elite Four, Lorelei beat me so bad, I still haven't forgiven her for it. That's what you get for going in with the three mystical birds plus a few underleveled Pokémon. And I thought Dig was boss, because it killed everything. Oh boy, that was fun.

To everyone who started with at least Diamond and Pearl, trust me, you have it better. There were quite a few Pokémon in RBY that learned zero STAB moves. I believe it had to do with the limited cartridge space, but also because GF thought a few Pokémon like Scyther could be strong with only Normal-type moves. Except not. Since when did they have a good grasp of the metagame?

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I have started playing properly since 2012 when I had Pokemon White, although I did briefly play Pokemon Yellow and Pinball about 12 years ago, until my Game Boy Color stopped working. Don't know what happened during my absence of Pokemon playing. I must've lost interest or something like that. ~_~

Last edited:
Back