The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old July 22nd, 2013 (08:43 PM). Edited April 4th, 2014 by th3shark.
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

Nature: Calm
Pokemon Evoas has been taken down by Nintendo. A preview is no longer available, and progress has been indefinitely halted. Read more here.

Introduction
Pokemon Evoas is a unique reinterpretation of the classic pokemon formula, with a new battle system, overworld, and other various tweaks to make the game feel more refreshing. It's being made completely from scratch, without the aid of a ROM hack or RPG Maker. This gives me the freedom to make many revolutionary changes to prior games, thus creating an original and exciting pokemon experience.

Features: (Warning: there are a lot. It would likely be easier to just play the preview linked below)

Spoiler:

A new battle system built from the ground up to be more strategic while staying familiar:
  • All pokemon battles are 2 on 2. The traditional pokemon battle system, which is designed primarily for 1 on 1 battles, has been completely revamped to account for this fundamental change.
  • ~75% of moves are completely new. Returning moves are given new animations and are tweaked for balance.
  • Cooperation between allied pokemon is crucial. Many defensive or stat-boosting moves now benefit the other pokemon instead. For example: Defibrillate will revive an allied pokemon if they faint that turn.
  • Certain attacks can be combined to become more powerful. For example: X-Slash is twice as effective if both pokemon use it at the same time on the same foe.
  • "One shot" moves are introduced. These are especially powerful moves that a pokemon can use at most once in a battle, regardless of how much PP is left.
  • Moves no longer have an accuracy stat. They will always hit unless something else interferes. Several returning powerful moves that were balanced with low accuracies will instead be "one shot" moves.
  • The number of moves a pokemon can learn is dependant on its species. Some pokemon can only learn 3 moves, while others can learn as much as 7. Most pokemon, however, will only be able to learn 4 or 5 moves.
  • New abilities are introduced. For example: A pokemon with the Nectar Feed ability will regain a bit of health each turn after the move Pollenate is used by an ally.
  • Each species of pokemon has an "innate ability", but each pokemon can also learn one "learned ability". These essentially replace held items.
  • Pokemon can learn techniques as well as battle moves. One technique every pokemon knows is Swap, which allows a pokemon to swap positions with its ally. Pokemon can learn abilities that allow them to use other techniques (like mega-evolving, perhaps...?)
  • 2 new types, Metal and Light, have been added. Also, the types Bug, Dragon, Steel, and Fairy have been removed, with pokemon and moves being revised accordingly. A third mystery type has been added as well.
  • Status ailments such as paralysis and confusion have been altered or removed to remove the luck element. Also, all status ailments have counters that display the amount of turns until the ailment is healed. Lastly, ailments can also be stacked; a burned pokemon isn't magically resistant to poison.
  • More intricacies of battle exist for the player to discover!

Battles look more exciting than ever before:
  • Animated pokemon sprites: All pokemon idle, attack, and receive damage with unique animations.
  • Each attack causes pokemon to move around the field in various ways. If a pokemon uses Tackle, it will actually move up to and ram the foe, instead of whiffing at the air while the foe somehow takes damage. The camera moves around accordingly too.
  • In-game animation speed control: Simply hold "right" to make animations go faster and hold "left" to make them go slower.

Revamped Overworld Gameplay:
  • Gyms and the pokemon league do not exist in Godell. Instead, the player will be tasked of going through "dungeons" at certain points in the game, each with their own themed pokemon and trainers to battle. More emphasis is placed on puzzle solving.
  • Movement is no longer restricted to a grid, and you can move diagonally.
  • Commands are introduced, which roughly replace HM moves. The player will obtain several commands at key points during the game. After which, pokemon that have the ability to use these commands can do so to solve puzzles in the overworld. The commands a pokemon can use are constant to its species.
  • The first 2 pokemon in your team can be summoned at will to follow you around on the overworld. Follower pokemon are important in using Commands.
  • The formation of follower pokemon can be switched around. If a pokemon is leading, then certain commands can be used, and the encounter rate can decrease.
  • Screenshots can be taken at any time by pressing F12 on the keyboard. Screenshots can also be taken during battle.
  • Stone and other unconventional methods of evolving have been removed. Secret new methods of evolution have been introduced, however. Will you be able to unlock your pokemon's full potential?

The most interesting new mechanic, however, is brink mode, which works as follows:
  • If a pokemon faints when fighting ruthless trainers or pokemon, the player can choose to keep it in battle and continue fighting. When this happens, the pokemon musters up some HP for the battle and enters an extraordinary state known as brink mode.
  • All stats for a pokemon are increased while its in brink mode.
  • However, if a pokemon loses all HP again while in brink mode, IT DIES. Dead pokemon cannot be revived by any means. Use caution when deciding whether or not a pokemon should enter brink mode.
  • With a few exceptions, entering brink mode is completely optional. Likewise, it will be possible to complete Evoas without a single pokemon dying.
  • Brink mode cannot be activated in friendly battles against ordinary trainers or wild pokemon.
  • Many secrets surround brink mode. Will you be able to utilize brink mode to its maximum potential?

Spoiler:

TL;DR: Brink mode is a high-stakes risk/reward mechanic. In some circumstances, you can force a pokemon to continue fighting after it faints in battle. But if it falls again, it dies, and can never be revived.

Story/Premise: (Note: graphic is a bit outdated)
Spoiler:

Software/Engine
The game is being developed with Adoble Flash CS5.5 and the programming language ActionScript 3. Paint.NET, ShoeBox, and Audacity were used for creating and tweaking certain assets. The Evoas battle engine is a completely original engine created by me in AS3.

Screenies
Spoiler:

Following Pokemon

Evolution mid-battle

Some pokemon can learn more than 4 moves

Status ailments can be stacked

Story bit

Flame Whip: A weak fire attack that strikes both foes

Luna Howl: Howls at the moon to raise its and its ally's attack

Dust Off: Cleanses the ally, curing a status ailment

Recruitment
Any help I can get regarding sprite work or music would be much appreciated. PM me if you're interested in contributing!

Credits
Program/design by th3shark (also my reddit username)
Concept art by DeviantArt user joy-ling.
Pokemon sprites by DeviantArt users JoshR691 and akizakura16.
Custom music by reddit user wk2012.

I also post updates for Evoas on reddit.com/r/pokemonevoas!

Thanks for reading, and I hope I've piqued your interest for the Evoas project!
Old July 23rd, 2013 (06:38 AM).
joeyhugg

The demo was very interesting! I would love to see more!
Old July 23rd, 2013 (07:04 AM).
Sunfished
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nature: Lax
This is the type of innovative experience that should be noticed.

Everything about this little demo I played is truly what I imagined battles to look like in sprite-form. There's a hurt sprite, idle sprite, and I swear I saw Mantyke get ready for his Body Slam! I truly adore these little things, and I beleive that a big project like this will get pretty popular if you can pull it off!

Also, I love the "techniques" that your Pokemon can do. When I first saw the foe's Metang turn itself into a weapon for his partner, I literally restarted the whole demo just to use Metang myself :D

I'll be keeping an eye on this, and support it as well.

EDIT:
If you can, can you move the up and down arrows to the same side where the attacks are? I find it rather tedious to move to the opposite side just to cycle through options.
Old July 23rd, 2013 (07:23 PM).
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

Glad you liked it Sunfished, and thanks for the support!

You can cycle through the options by dragging them too.
Old July 24th, 2013 (07:30 AM).
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
This is pretty good.
Would be better if there was a larger selection of characters.

Just strollin' to my next destination...
Old September 5th, 2013 (07:44 PM).
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

Pokemon Evoas updated! There's a new demo available I encourage you to try out!

Most of the game's updates get posted to http://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonEvoas/. If you're interested and want quicker updates, please subscribe!
Old September 6th, 2013 (01:51 PM).
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
I highly approve of this battle system, and so does my fiancé.

But, the overworld tiles are cringe-worthy, it looks to saturday-morning cartoony.
I would suggest making pixel based tiles like actual pokemon games.

Just strollin' to my next destination...
Old September 6th, 2013 (01:55 PM).
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varion View Post
I highly approve of this battle system, and so does my fiancé.

But, the overworld tiles are cringe-worthy, it looks to saturday-morning cartoony.
I would suggest making pixel based tiles like actual pokemon games.
the problem I have is how the OW player's look, if they were drawn in a similair way it wouldnt be as bad, but they are out of place in that kind of scenery (im judging from screenshots, I havent tried it yet)

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old September 6th, 2013 (04:20 PM).
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

Thanks for the feedback! The vector graphics in the overworld was an experiment attempting to make the overworld stand out more from other pokemon games. But since even response from my peers towards the new art style has been negative, so I'll be reverting back to using pixel graphics from the official games.
Old September 6th, 2013 (04:46 PM).
SinfulGuroRose
Ignore me, I'm socially inept.

Nature: Bashful
Awww; I for one really liked the contrast between the graphics and the overworlds. I'm curious, if you switch to pixel graphics, will it still have the same collision properties as it has had?

But I'm really pumped for this! O wO The overhauled battle system is fantastic, I really love the sprites, and I'm just over all fangirling. Wonderful work! <3

Old September 6th, 2013 (05:18 PM).
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

Quote:
Awww; I for one really liked the contrast between the graphics and the overworlds. I'm curious, if you switch to pixel graphics, will it still have the same collision properties as it has had?

But I'm really pumped for this! O wO The overhauled battle system is fantastic, I really love the sprites, and I'm just over all fangirling. Wonderful work! <3
Haha you're the first to like the overworlds! Again, I'm still experimenting with the art design, so nothing is set in stone yet. My current plan on the matter is to move the vector style graphics from the overworld to the battle backgrounds, and use traditional sprites on the overworld instead. The contrast between the vector backgrounds and pixelated NPCs/pokemon was intentional, but I think it could be put to better use in the battle window. And yes, the collision properties are staying no matter what visual style is used

Glad you enjoyed the battle system! That's what I'm focusing most of my attention on anyway for Evoas. I'll try to post updates here more frequently!
Old September 21st, 2013 (06:37 AM).
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

Edit: Added a graphic explaining the story/premise
Old October 8th, 2013 (03:52 PM).
iloveskittys

I can help you with your story and move descriptions
Old October 19th, 2013 (10:24 AM).
Charity

Nature: Lonely
Whoa! An amazing battle system AND a curious storyline! The combo moves and Brink Mode are especially interesting, can see many possibilities there...

You might have changed them by now, but two things irked me in the demo. One, the player can be pushed around by the last trainer when he walks around; and two, when selecting which Pokemon to use an attack on, the camera doesn't move to your ally. That confused me when both the enemy and I had Combees.

As far as graphics go, the vectors need work and they clash with the sprites. However, where most people want you to stick with the sprites, I have the opposite view. If improved, using vector graphics for everything could look amazing, and make Evoas really stand out amongst the myriad of fangames using sprites. The downsides are it'd probably take even more effort than sprites, and depending on how you've got animations set up, it might be more complex. Don't know how much it would affect file size, either. Anyway, just an idea.

If you are still looking for help with the graphics, I'd be interested in assisting. I'm a fairly competent spriter (although I haven't touched a Pokemon style in ages), Flash is one of my go-tos for drawing, and I've studied animation (mostly with Flash) for a year. PM me if you'd like some examples.

Anyways, I'll watch Evoas's progress. You've really got something cool here! :D
Old November 21st, 2013 (12:05 PM).
mydrago
Gen IV Hacker/SS Fan

Nature: Timid
Looks nice i have never seen a pokemon game like this
This pokemon game is very good
That new battle background and attack effects super good
And good presentation of this pokemon game and info

Old January 17th, 2014 (11:51 PM).
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

Version 0.0.3 release!

I'm very excited about this. After 7 long months, the game's foundation is made, and all the basic mechanics are implemented. Try out the linked 30-minute preview!
Old January 19th, 2014 (02:22 AM).
classiccartoonsftw
Nintendo is for awesome people

Hi there! I've just finished the preview of this game, and loved it! I hope you finish this game!

Brink Mode is very interesting. Game Freak should consider it for Gen VII or VIII.

I do have a few questions, though. I've seen Beedrill in the Pokedex inbetween Combee and Vespiquen. Does that mean Beedrill is the male evolution for Combee?

Some Pokemon won't show up in the Pokedex. For example, Vulpix, Minccino, and Clefairy don't show up.

I've also seen Gloom and Raichu in the wild, but not Oddish or Pikachu. What happened to them?

Oh, and can Mantyke now evolve without the need for Remoraid?

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=304577

Be sure to check the last page!

Credit for this sig goes to Ash`, credit for my avatar goes to The Epic Pikachu from Tumblr
Old January 19th, 2014 (05:24 PM).
northrone

Aww, damn tj3! You beat me to the Pokecommunity thing! (it's suzey-poo)

This looks great, by the way!
Old January 19th, 2014 (05:58 PM).
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

lol I can't believe you haven't posted to pokecommunity yet man. I know Ray's all over the place here.
Old January 21st, 2014 (02:04 AM).
awolfsquared
I wish you a Merry Christmas!! (or CHRIStmas)
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
Hey there! I saw your game on the "What's Hot section of DA so I gave it a try. It was a pretty interesting concept and I really enjoyed the preview! I really like the ability to run from trainer battles which is something I always wanted to do in a real Pokemon game. The idea of combo moves is something they should do in a future game. I had a problem where I accidentally hit the Start menu key on my keyboard and could move after that, but that was easily solved once I saved and restarted. I would be interesting to see this as it develops . Good game and very different than the normal Pokemon game.

Merry Christmas everyone!
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old January 21st, 2014 (09:34 AM).
HaloSonic
NOM NOM NOM

Nature: Relaxed
I also just played this thanks to an article from Kotaku, great job on it, it really feels the way double battles should've been designed. Quick question, will save files still be usable after you update the game?

Good Bye Nintendo WiFi, you were fun. (my codes won't work anymore, so.... ya, hit me up on 3DS if you want dem trades.)
Old January 21st, 2014 (01:18 PM).
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

Sadly save files from this version will not work with later versions, for a number of reasons:
  • This was just a preview, and this area will be different when the game is complete. For example, the "infected trainer" bonus challenge at the end was there just to show off brink mode more, and won't be present in the next big update.
  • The beginning of the game (which explains how the protagonist lost its pokemon) hasn't been made yet. It'll be a crucial part of the game, so I can't let people skip it by using an old save file.
  • Getting the save file is tricky. It's hidden in a mystery internet cache folder on your computer. The desktop version of the game won't have this problem, where the save file will be easily accessible.

The desktop build of version 0.1 will most likely let save files be usable in all future updates.
Old January 21st, 2014 (03:16 PM).
In_Orbitt

I'm assuming you eventually get your old team back at some point. Will it be set or can the player choose their teams?
Old January 22nd, 2014 (11:46 AM).
PrzemoRi

Look awesome!
Female and male character look cool.
Do you thinking about doing later the mobile version? (Android etc.)
Old January 22nd, 2014 (01:59 PM).
udivision

Maybe I haven't played a lot of fan games, but this is the first time I've played a fan game where it felt like someone was trying to make a legitmate sequel to Pokemon instead of simply more mons/new regions.

I am impressed. You've put a lot of thought into this, and it shows. I've always thought the problems with the Pokemon formula were outside of battle, but you've managed to make interesting changes to the battle system as well. When Combee used "Fly" and wouldn't come down, I thought I had to run or something. But then I realized Pin Missile wasn't a grounded attack and I was able to beat him. IDK, maybe it's not a better system but it's certainly different in a good way and for the first time in a long time I was playing a Pokemon Game whose rules hadn't been established 15 years ago.

Maybe I'm being a little hyperbolic, but still, this was very well done and I am excited to see more.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links