• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever Deny that New Pokemon are "Pokemon"?

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
Do you ever seem to feel that the New Pokemon in a Latest Generation aren't really Pokemon for a few Monthes that's what I'm Like
I'm generally like

OMFG THIS THING IS SO UGLY ITS NOT A POKEMON
Then Eventually I'm like
Dude it's a Pokemon Get over it!

Do you ever do this? And Generally for how long???

Nakala Pri

Nope. I simply accept that its design may not be my taste and I remember Game Freak is totally awesome and it would never continue to pour out crappy designs. So yeah, I just remember Pokemon are Pokemon and I should accept it. :)

Altair1

Willpower
Years
That has only happened to me with Black & White, I didn't like any Pokemon that was revealed (I had the mindset that they didn't look like 'Pokemon'), then they just grew on me...

X & Y however, I accepted that they're all Pokemon and I'm eager to try them out!
Not sure why some of us experience this, perhaps we are in denial from moving to another generation? haha, just a thought.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
That has only happened to me with Black & White, I didn't like any Pokemon that was revealed (I had the mindset that they didn't look like 'Pokemon'), then they just grew on me...

X & Y however, I accepted that they're all Pokemon and I'm eager to try them out!
Not sure why some of us experience this, perhaps we are in denial from moving to another generation? haha, just a thought.
That's Just Like me! the Gen VI Pokemon look excellent I Especially Like Chespin's Sprite 3D Model... Heh Can't call them Sprites anymore :P

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Nope, never. Denying that a new Pokemon looks like a Pokemon is pretty dumb, to be honest. Pokemon don't have a set design and that's why there are over 650 of them, and saying that a Pokemon doesn't look like a Pokemon is like saying that all Pokemon look a certain way. Are there silly designs? Sure. Are there designs that I don't really like? Absolutely. But I consider all of them to be Pokemon because, well, they are.

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
Well, regardless of their appearance, they are all Pokemon. A one point, I thought that this thing looks so generic, so not creative, is this really a Pokemon? Well, no matter how they look, they are Pokemon. They are made by Gamefreak and all, so of course.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I don't because there isn't a set definition of what a Pokemon supposed to look like. It's whatever Gamefreak say is what a Pokemon looks like no matter how strange some of them may appear to look like. I didn't think a lot of the Gen V Pokemon looked like Pokemon at first, but then I realized how silly that was and now I really like a lot of them. Gen VI Pokemon look really promising so far.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
No - I don't do that. It doesn't even make sense to me.

Pokemon just look like... pokemon. Whether they're sort of like recognizable animals or sort of like strange little people or sort of like mythical creatures or sort of like weird lumps of some-unrecognizable-something-or-another, they've always been just whatever they are, and they've always been pokemon. So when the next generation comes along and it's another assortment of a bunch of things that are maybe sort of like this or that, that's fine. They're pokemon, just like they always have been.

Thergox

Average Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
Some look rather ridiculous, and there are generations that I merely stamp to the bottom of the pot, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I don't consider them Pokemon. This is what Gamefreak has chosen to do, so the best you can do is accept it, even if it is a little hard at first.

Infinite Latios

Champion
Years
They're all Pokemon. Some are really awesome, like Mewtwo. Some are freaking adorable, like Shaymin. And others are absolutely ridiculous, like Vanillite. But they're all Pokemon.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
For me, it usually takes a long time for me to warm up to a pokemon. I don't deny that it's a pokemon. I just think "this sucks" when I first look at it, then I look at it a week later, and I think, "it's 'ight."

Years
I've never really done this. I've been able to acknowledge that every Pokemon is, in fact, a Pokemon. There have been a couple designs that I've thought could have been done better. I think it's foolish to say "this isn't a Pokemon" just because someone likes older ones better, or you think the design isn't great. There are really good ones, and some mediocre ones. Every game has examples of this. A bad level in Mario. A stupid boss or dungeon in Zelda. You just need to accept that it's part of the game, no matter what you think.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Some Pokemon I do think or say that 'oh, it sorta reminds me of ___', but I still think it's a Pokemon. After all, a Pokemon is what is created by the people working at Game Freak and called a Pokemon.

Sirfetch’d

I may not like some designs, but all Pokemon are Pokemon to me. Yes...there may be some based on inanimate objects, but that does not mean that it still can't be a Pokemon. I mean look at gen 1 where you had Voltorb and Magnemite. There will always be odd looking Pokemon introduced in each gen and everyone will have an opinion if that Pokemon should even exist.

RollsOfSushi

Hotter than Wasabi
Years
For awhile I thought that Honedge looked so bad.. but now I'm alright with it, especially that it's typing is SO AWESOME~ But besides that, most of them look pretty alright.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Every single Pokemon is classified as one, no matter how horrible it appears to be. Its like saying an apple isn't a fruit, just because you dislike its taste or texture. An apple is a fruit because it has the qualities to be one- i.e fruits generally contain seeds and so forth. To say a Pokemon isn't a Pokemon, just because its stats are below average, is just silly! Pokemon are classified as pocket monsters and that's what they all are. Yeah sure Voltorb is sucky and so is Garbodor, but even if I hate their designs, I won't go as far to say 'they aren't pokemon'. No matter how bad their stats or overall design is its still classified as a Pokemon. Gamefreak made them and intended them to be that, no matter how horrible the outcome of a Pokemon was.

Tom Cruise

Pokémon Master
Years
After Diamond and Pearl I just gave up on Game Freaks new design on Pokemon. They just look so fake and unbelievable. I guess I'd rather see animal looking pokemon rather monster looking Pokemon.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I accept all new introduced Pokemon even if I don't like the design of some as Pokemon, a few I will give a chance (I may like them after a while).

Back