The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

Old July 24th, 2013, 09:35 PM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
I personally like the idea of sky battles, I'm surprised this wasn't implemented in earlier games. I think that it will be unique to see how Pokemon will battle in the air. I'm curious about these.
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:41 PM
xavient
GameboyLuke

I'm interested to see what they will do with this.
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaiImNate View Post
I personally like the idea of sky battles, I'm surprised this wasn't implemented in earlier games. I think that it will be unique to see how Pokemon will battle in the air. I'm curious about these.
They battle as if they do on the ground, its pretty much the same animations from what was seen. Only issue is you can only use "some" Flying types and Levitators.

Still using "some" because that word was used at E3 meaning that not all were planned for the Sky Battle. Other than that there doesn't seem to be any other changes to battle format other than limiting the roster you can use and maybe some of the moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ace View Post
My big hope is that they make it a tier itself and perhaps ban entry hazards from it. It would make sense if entry hazards aren't usable in the 1st place cause your above the ground so there's no base for stealth rocks or spikes. As a competitive battler and Flying being my favorite type I'm excited for this new feature. Hope it wont be a train wreck and will provide a healthy fun experience.
Stealth rock would actually be the only exception...they are floating rocks that dig into the opponent switching in. Spikes and Toxic Spikes I do agree, but Stealth Rock would still be able to be used based on its description alone.

Quote:
The user lays a trap of levitating stones around the opponent's team. The trap hurts opponents that switch into battle.
Here's a bonus to ease some of your worries though, the only Flying/Levitating Pokemon capable of using Stealth Rock are:

Skarmory5th Gen MT/Breeding, Aerodactyl5th Gen MT, GligarGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT,LunatoneGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT, Solrock/5th Gen MTGen 4 TM, BaltoyGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT, ClaydolGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT, BronzorGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT, BronzongGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT, GliscorGen 4 TM/5th Gen MT,Archen5th Gen MT, Archeops5th Gen MT, and Landorus5th Gen MT.

Most of these have other threats to worry about and I don't see them focusing as Stealth Rock users. Depending on backwards compatibility this list may not even be accurate.

Last edited by Khrysta; July 26th, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:38 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I wanted the "Sky Battles" to come along with "Sky travel" like "Sea battles" come with surfing.

Oh well at least this gives flying Pokémon a chance to be used...feel bad for the bug/flying Pokémon though (those that can be used for these battles because as Xander said GF used "some" when talking about which ones can participate) as I imagine a good number will be majority flying rather than levitate so those moves will easily defeat them. Next Zapdos and Articuno will rule. Articuno will be able to take down the Dragon/Flying (if fast enough) and Levitating Dragons and Zapdos the none Electric/Flying, Rotom and other levitating none flying pokemon (well fan Rotom is part Electric/Flying...)
Old July 28th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Cassino

Seems like it might make certain points in the game more challenging (inb4 Flying Gym or evil team sky base), which I'd say is good, but it is a gimmick.
Old July 28th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Omg great idea, i can't wait to test it! Brilliant idea.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old July 28th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Rayquaza 97
Draco Meteor.

Nature: Modest
Pokemon like Emolga, Zapdos, Eelecktross etc will be useful for sky battles so hopefully pokes like Emogla will be in the regional dex as I thought it was pretty cool. Anyway, I think it will be kinda annoying if you have a flying type in your party and you dodge a trainer, only to be confronted by a trainer wanting to have a sky battle. Sure it would be new and cool at first but then would get annoying. Usually toward the end of the game when I have grinded my team I really can't be bothered to battle NPCs so do whatever I can to dodge them, and it may be I don't use a type that has levitate or a flying type, even though flying types are my favorites. This is just my 2 cents and I know most people like to battle everyone and like the feature, but it just seems like another to get annoyed over for me lol.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 28th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Dark Sonic
Chaos Control!

Nature: Bold
Ooh can't wait i always wanted sky battling this is definitely new and exciting.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Moving my convo with Damian to here since its soley about Sky Battles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienHelvian View Post
I guess that is a good point. Most likely the accepted levitators won't be electric type, cause that would be completely unfair. I'm also sure that might include Emolga, as its species more represents a glider not a flier.
An idea that I just thought of for what levitators will be allowed, most likely Psychic types and ghost types. Probably nothing severely anti-flying, as most opponents you face mid-air will be flying type...give it a fairness.
Well I wouldn't say something Anti-Flying...I mean Delibird and Skarmory have an incredible edge over Flying types and they won't be discluded.

We have seen two types of levitaters so far, Haunter and Flygon. So things with more free range that has been shown I guess. I can see Emolga as she has been shown to have the ability to fly much like Gligar despite his entries saying he can only glide.

Out of all the Pokemon with Levitate..I'd say these are likely not to be added in:
Koffing
Weezing
Unown
Baltoy
Claydol
Chimecho
Chingling
Bronzor
Bronzong
Rotom (including all forms)
Tynamo
Electrik
Elektross

Flying Pokemon I don't see participating:
Doduo
Dodrio
Scyther
Gyarados
Hoppip
Skiploom
Jumpluff
Mantine
Mantyke
Shaymin

That's really all I can see.
Old August 10th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Jumpleet
Rise Above The Rest

Nature: Relaxed
I would love to use Vivillon in the Sky battles. As I would battle, I would sing "Butterfly in the sky, I could go twice as high!"
Old August 10th, 2013, 11:47 PM
AmourPearlShipper
If we're feeling thirsty, it's vodka for all!

I agree with this idea. Looks like Skyla having those Sky Battles in the anime is a hint. However, I personally think all Flying-types and all those Pokemon with Levitate should take place in Sky battles (even Gyarados and Eelektross). Especially Eelektross, since it'd pwn all those Flying-types. :D
"Billy Mays here with a limited time offer; our brand new product for the RU tier. Combining the incredible defensive capabilities of the Steel-type and Eviolite, Metang will make a splash hit for all those watching at home. For just the cost of one teamslot, you can get your own Metang today, as well a beautiful Eviolite stone that can be used as a gift, or a Cell Battery to make sure your Metang doesn't run out of juice! But that's not all! Call now and we will add an extra Stealth Rock to your order! This decorative piece is perfect for filling your Stealth Rock needs! Use it wisely though, because setting up Stealth Rock turns Metang from nearly worthless to completely worthless for the rest of the match. Thankfully, Metang comes with a built-in self-destruct button that allows it to make the most of its short battery life. Get yours today for not three teamslots, not even two--call now and get our limited edition Metang at the price of only a single teamslot! You will not get this offer anywhere else, or you get your money back guaranteed! Results may vary.

<TLCNU> Escavalier literally is 2HKOed by Stoutland Fire Fang, Metang was undoubtedly the much better choice."
SuperSkarmory | Serebii
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links