• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you could give Flareon a good moveset

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
From what you guys tell me is that all the hate towards Flareon is her not so good moveset. If you could give Flareon a good moveset that would make Flareon a good Pokémon to battle with, what Pokémon moves would you give her?

AFAIAA this is discussion based but the Mod may move it to PVP

Sirfetch’d

I'd give her Flare Blitz. It is a very strong physical fire STAB that Flareon is missing and would actually make it a useable Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I would NOT give Flareon Flare Blitz. It's a recoil move, and Flareon only has 65 base HP. It couldn't handle the recoil.

GF is going to have to create a new move to make Flareon viable - something at least on par with Leaf Blade or X Scissor or the like - a widely available physical Fire move with no consequences and at least 80 base power and at least 10 PP.

Actually though, while that'd be nice (and I would be willing to bet that GF will do exactly that in XY, along with a similar Electric move for the likes of Luxray), that's not the way I'd fix Flareon.

What I'd do would be to add an entire set of hold items that swap one stat for another. That'd help out a lot of pokemon - not just Flareon - and it'd make the metagame much more interesting, since you could never be sure what stats were what. And I think that, in the long run, it'd still be balanced, since any pokemon that was holding one of those items wouldn't be able to hold anything else - Lefties, Choice Band, Life Orb, whatever.

The way they'd work would be simple - they'd literally, simply, just swap one stat for another. For instance, put the one that swaps Special Attack and Speed on Flareon and it'd still have that base 130 Attack, but instead of wasting the 95 on Special Attack, it'd be on Speed instead, where it could do some good, and its Special Attack would be 65, but on a physical set, that wouldn't matter anyway. And though I'd still like to (and expect to) see a good base 80 or so no-consequence physical Fire move, with 95 speed to go along with that 130 attack, Flareon would already be better off, even with just Fire Fang.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
After some consideration, I think I'll move this over to Pokémon Gaming Central after all. This seems heavily leaned towards gaming :]

-moved

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Regardless of her low HP, she does need Flare Blitz like everyone says. She can be the sacrificial lamb of a battle, with a monstrous attack stat she could pull it off. Though I really wish there where more physical Fire moves. I sort of think a lot of Eeveelutions (including Flareon) could utilize Extremespeed since they are cat/foxes, which are quick and agile animals.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Yeah, when it comes to movesets Flareon got the real short end of the stick. Not because of lack of decent moves, but because it's stats put it as a physical attacker not a special attacker. It has decent moves avaliable... Just not anything of it's element that would play to it's stats.

Short of changing it's stats or creating a new move, I think that giving Flareon Blaze Kick would be the best way to improve it's moveset. It has decent moves for other types, just nothing good for fire.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
If you've got a Guts Flareon throwing out Superpower, STAB doesn't even matter.
I'd actually like to give it Crunch, and a greater variety of non-STAB physical attacks.
Blaze Kick does seem like a good move to give it (Jolteon gets Double Kick, so why not), but I hate the imperfect accuracy.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Flare Blitz and Crunch.

Flare Blitz because it's in dire need of a decent STAB physical attack, the recoil will hurt but that doesn't necessarily hinder it as Charizard, Arcanine, Infernape, Blaziken and Darmanitan - having low HP doesn't mean it'd be terrible either; Infernape and Charizard don't exactly have sky high HP and they still use the move effectively. Crunch to give it another powerful coverage move.

With those Flareon could finally become decent and not rely on low powered attacks or non STAB'd moves.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Flareon is a bad Arcanine... :( You can give him Flare Blitz, Earthquake, Wild Charge, whatever, but he'll still be outclassed because he's slow and frail.

Ideally, though, he needs a good physical STAB (doesn't have to be Flare Blitz, maybe a new move) and something to fight Rock-types which is not Iron Tail.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
Flare Blitz and Crunch.

I completely agree with Crunch. I don't necessarily think that its the move pool that is Flareon's problem. IMO. Its one of two things that need fixing. Either the base HP needs a slight boost, Or defence.

Theres Lava Plume, Flamethrower for example, Not to mention all the other great TM's she can learn.

Years
I would probably want my Flareon (If I ever decide to use it.. Probably never) I would like it know Flamethrower, a great fire type move that has great accuracy and power, and it's not extremely over power you're like 'Eh.. The pokemon only has 15hp and all I have is Blast Burn..', probably Crunch or Take down, sunny Day annnd Double kick. That would seem like a nice move set in my opinion. (Or blast burn/flare blitz instead of Crunch/take down/double kick.)

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Isn't Flareon a physical attacker, and Flamethrower is a Special Attack? Making it practically useless. I mean, you could teach Flareon Flamethrower through TM if you really wanted to but it won't be very effective... That's why it should know more or new physical attack fire type moves :P

The only problem being it has a decent Special Attack as well, 95. This means that Overheat still works up to normal and after using it you can happily switch to attack moves. The biggest problem is that the majority of her Sp. Attack is useless, like you said. I feel it will make a lot of difference if the Sp. Attack was swapped with HP, and that combined with Flare Blitz.

The next problem that arises is her low defense, meaning vulnerability to all physical sweepers.

Added to that is Low speed making it tough to sweep by it's own.

tbh only with some Baton Passing will it get into good shape.

One main good thing being high Special Defense, meaning it gets the best out of the Sp. Sweepers.

Without making genetic changes to it, there's only one sure-fire way out.

A new physical Fire-Type move with decent BP (maybe 70-80) which has a priority 1 or above will help this thing a lot, maybe.
Toxic Orb for added effect.

I'm not a big competitive battler, so please bear with my blunders, please.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Extremespeed would be really good on Flareon. Give it a Choice Band, stick Extremespeed on it and watch the frail sweepers fall before the mighty cat-thingy :)

Comet7

Star of the show
Years
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure Flareon has access to Flame Charge. Therefore, a Choice Band or Life Orb set like this wouldn't be too out of the question, right?

Adamant/Jolly nature
EVs: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Item: Choice Band/Life Orb
Flame Charge - Wild Charge (if he can get it) - Superpower - Crunch/Quick Attack

Perriechu

Years
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure Flareon has access to Flame Charge. Therefore, a Choice Band or Life Orb set like this wouldn't be too out of the question, right?

Adamant/Jolly nature
EVs: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Item: Choice Band/Life Orb
Flame Charge - Wild Charge (if he can get it) - Superpower - Crunch/Quick Attack

Flame Charge isn't powerful enough though; even coming off a Choice Band/Life Orb.

Although it is a good move as it does raise Flareon's poor speed, it just isn't powerful enough.

I think if they gave Flareon Bulk Up it would be nice, I mean they gave it Superpower, Smog etc I don't see why they couldn't give it Bulk Up. That would solve its defense problem and strengthen the only physical fire moves it can use.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Blaze Kick or Flare Blitz
Agility or Swords Dance or Flame Charge
(Brick Break or Superpower) / (Wild Charge or Flame Charge)

Considering it has the highest attack among it's brothers, Brick Break should be reasonable. If Quilava (fellow four-legged creature) could use it, why can't he too? (I'm just mentioning the Quilava thing because there might be someone who would suggest "brick break is only a move for those with hands/arms")

Same goes for Agility. Flareon seems like a pokemon who would outspeed Growlithe anytime. It knows quick attack in the first place. I'll give Extremespeed to Arcanine, though. I don't think Flareon would reach that "level".

Last edited:

Perriechu

Years
Sucker Punch or Crunch
Blaze Kick or Flare Blitz
Agility or Swords Dance or Flame Charge
(Brick Break or Superpower) / (Wild Charge or Flame Charge)

Considering it has the highest attack among it's brothers, Brick Break should be reasonable. If Quilava (fellow four-legged creature) could use it, why can't he too? (I'm just mentioning the Quilava thing because there might be someone who would suggest "brick break is only a move for those with hands/arms")

Same goes for Agility. Flareon seems like a pokemon who would outspeed Growlithe anytime. It knows quick attack in the first place. I'll give Extremespeed to Arcanine, though. I don't think Flareon would reach that "level".

Quilava can stand on its hind legs, just like Typhlosion so it doesn't really count. Flareon would never get Brick Break.

Agility does seem viable; imo Eevee should be the one to learn Agility so then all the Eevee evolutions can learn it, however Flareon only needs to boost its defense and get a decent physical STAB move for it to be decent enough to be used in a higher tier (UU at the most)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think this would fair off better in Battle Center, since it's mainly about what we'd do to improve Flareon.

Back