The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 30th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Twilight-kun
Pokemon World Champion 2014-15

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to Twilight-kun Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Twilight-kun Send a message via Yahoo to Twilight-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Twilight-kun

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post

Which reminded me, saw this pic a while ago on Tumblr where you can see basically the evolution (no pun haha) of Pikachu's sprites. I think I like them up till 2nd gen and 3rd gen is where they start going down for me. Although I do like the orangy colour in some of the later sprites, but not the model at all.
what game are those bottom right from?
Old October 13th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight-kun View Post
what game are those bottom right from?
Those two on the bottom right are Pikachu's second frame sprites from Diamond & Pearl.

I've heard of all these rumors that Pikachu "lost weight" as the series went on, but it was actually the result of the changes and improvements in art design.

But going in-depth into the Pikachu sprites, I have to say the Red/Blue sprite almost looks like a Raichu:

I mean, look at the tail and ears, that almost made me think it was Raichu.

Sprites often go through drastic changes with each generation, such as improvements in color, shape and design etc.

I mean, take a look at Koffing. This was its Red/Blue sprite:

And now here's its Black/White/Black 2/White 2 sprite to compare:

Notice how out-of-place sprite designs were back in the early days? Koffing looked so odd but the symbol on its body got corrected from Yellow onwards to match the official Sugimori art.

Other notable ones including Chikorita being yellow in Gold/Silver but was made light green in Crystal to match its official art.

Same with Sneasel being brown/blue in G/S but changed to its usual black/red colors in Crystal.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

on a leave of absence

Old October 27th, 2012, 07:06 PM
MontrayDavis
Unhatched Egg

Would anyone happen to have reference images for 3D modeling ??
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
Jak
@ dark eco

Nature: Timid
This isn't the place to ask, nor is it even related to the thread. You might consider asking in Art and Design, but I'm not sure if they could help you either. This thread is for 2D game sprite discussion and comparison, and not for spriting or anything of the sort.

Blood will have blood.
paired to klippy, mr. downstairs, and elheroeoscuro
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:39 PM
joshbl56
Feeling better?

Nature: Quiet
There are a few R/B sprites that I think are pretty awesome:

Look at that Gyardos! So awesome looking! I hate most of its sprites (except Gold, FR/LG and HG/SS) because they make it look odd. The old R/B one made it look like it was coming up to murder everything in its way!

I put Butterfree down because I think it probably has the most detailed design. I mean, look at those wings! They are absolutely gorgeous compared to some other sprites *coughArbokcough*

As for Slowbro, Nidoqueen and Nidoking, I just think they look awesome. I love the way the shell looks on Slowbro's tail. Shame they never made another sprite look like this one. Nidoqueen and Nidoking just look like they are ready to beat down your pokemon XD

While talking about these sprites, has anyone else noticed that slowbro's sprite for Emerald has him with a blue tongue? Guess they got lazy with changing specific colors and just got the whole thing XD

Click on the picture to see the page for the challenge
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:55 PM
Jak
@ dark eco

I actually love that Butterfree sprite myself. idk why, it just makes it look like...WELL it just gives me this "I should use that on my team!" feeling haha.

The other sprites you listed look good. They are some of the better looking sprites of that generation.

Blood will have blood.
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I like that Butterfree sprite too, except maybe for the eyes. They look more scary than normal.
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:43 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

I liked that pose in the sprite of Butterfree there, but it's eyes look creepy

And with Slowbro's Shiny sprite in Emerald, it's not the only Shiny sprite in that game to have a coloring error. Totodile had the same problem, the spikes on its back are miscolored red when they should be blue.

on a leave of absence

Old March 21st, 2013, 08:01 PM
joshbl56
Feeling better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
And with Slowbro's Shiny sprite in Emerald, it's not the only Shiny sprite in that game to have a coloring error. Totodile had the same problem, the spikes on its back are miscolored red when they should be blue.

Wow, I guess that messed up on a few sprites. On another note, am I the only one who likes the sprite for gen 5 crobat, even though they gave it feet?

I like the sprites for this gen and gen 2 but 3 and 4 gave it that weird butt problem :'(

I also stumbled upon a picture of crobat in Battle Revolution (not sure if that is right as I've never actually played it) and found this horrible image!

Spoiler:

What is up with those teeth?! It looks like it ripped out part of the jaw from a human and is using that for a mouth guard :cer_disbelief: (sorry for this not being a sprite but I think it pertains to the sprites not having those horrendous teeth)

EDIT: Just thought of something..... if they add put crobat in 3d for gen 6, it will have those teeth!

Old March 21st, 2013, 08:08 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbl56 View Post
Wow, I guess that messed up on a few sprites. On another note, am I the only one who likes the sprite for gen 5 crobat, even though they gave it feet?

I like the sprites for this gen and gen 2 but 3 and 4 gave it that weird butt problem :'(

I also stumbled upon a picture of crobat in Battle Revolution (not sure if that is right as I've never actually played it) and found this horrible image!

Spoiler:

What is up with those teeth?! It looks like it ripped out part of the jaw from a human and is using that for a mouth guard :cer_disbelief: (sorry for this not being a sprite but I think it pertains to the sprites not having those horrendous teeth)

EDIT: Just thought of something..... if they add put crobat in 3d for gen 6, it will have those teeth!
Oh god that is one creepy pic of Crobat...

But yeah, I was kinda surprised that most of Crobat's sprites prior to 5th Generation lacked visible feet. I mean look at its official Sugimori art:

It clearly shows feet on that, but even though this art was for HG/SS, the sprite in said game did not show visible feet. However, Crobat's 3rd Generation back sprite did show its feet.

However, it wasn't until 5th Generation that they finally made both its front and back sprites have feet, and that's mainly because sprite designs have improved with each new generation.

on a leave of absence

Old March 21st, 2013, 08:23 PM
joshbl56
Feeling better?

Quote:
However, it wasn't until 5th Generation that they finally made both its front and back sprites have feet, and that's mainly because sprite designs have improved with each new generation.
I wouldn't say all sprites have always improved with each new generation (just look at some gen 3/4 sprites... ) but they do always seem to fix them. Glad gen 5 was a great success with sprites though!

(Gen 3 Nidoqueen is not happy)

Old March 30th, 2013, 06:16 PM
LiteSandwich
"Tutturu~♪"

I can't tell if thats its legs or a visible butt XD
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Jak
@ dark eco

I have always thought the same thing about Feraligatr. XD

Blood will have blood.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:12 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteSandwich View Post

I can't tell if thats its legs or a visible butt XD
I remember using one in the Battle Factory and thinking that.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:21 AM
Nuke

Nature: Relaxed
I always find things I've never seen before when reading about Pokemon sprites, that Feraligatr find is hilarious.

I just found this while searching for my avatar, it doesn't even look like Primeape. I feel for anyone who bought Green.

Sprites are going to be very different in X&Y, possibly a bigger evolution than from Gen II to III.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Since the thread has been dead for a few days I think I have a good idea for a new topic to bring up.

I saw this thread in Fifth Generation Gaming that got locked which involved someone comparing Garchomp's normal and shiny colors.

I mean, if one looks closely you'd have to look very hard to see which of these Garchomp sprites is the shiny:

It's actually the one on the right that's the shiny one, but I did have to admit the fact Garchomp's color difference is not that drastic compared to most Pokemon. Most Pokemon usually have major differences between the normal and shiny colors but others, like Glaceon and Lillipup are basically a lighter or darker shade of their normal colors.

Garchomp is probably the worst example of shiny Pokemon with colors too similar to the normal colors, but what other Pokemon do you think have not much differences between their normal and shiny sprites? Feel free to discuss!

@Nuke: Yeah the transition to 3D in X & Y will definitely make a big evolution as we go from sprites to 3D models.

on a leave of absence

Old April 29th, 2013, 12:00 PM
kraider
Unhatched Egg

The Ponyta one rocks, I like it very much. Are there any guidelines on designing a sprite?
Old June 26th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Adventure
thief . of . light

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post

I just found this while searching for my avatar, it doesn't even look like Primeape. I feel for anyone who bought Green.

Omgawd that Primeape is just adorable.

Regarding shiny sprites, I totally agree with you, Hikari. Some shinies are really boringly designed, color wise. I really do wonder how they are thinking when they decide how to color them. Some have their usual colors but switched around, others just have one color changed and another brightened or darkened. And others are completely different from their originals.
Old June 26th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post
Omgawd that Primeape is just adorable.

Regarding shiny sprites, I totally agree with you, Hikari. Some shinies are really boringly designed, color wise. I really do wonder how they are thinking when they decide how to color them. Some have their usual colors but switched around, others just have one color changed and another brightened or darkened. And others are completely different from their originals.
Speaking of switched colors, take a look at Lileep for example:

The purple one is the regular colors, while the green one is the shiny. And also for some reason, they slightly darkened the color of the tentacles on its normal-colored 5th Gen sprite, while the tentacles were the same color as those on the shiny in 3rd and 4th Gen. If one notices, Lileep's shiny color is identical to the normal colors of its own evolution, Cradily.

In fact, Cradily also switches colors between normal and shiny forms, with the normal one being green and the shiny being purple.

And also, if one looks at Electrike's shiny sprite you'll notice how similar the colors are to the normal colors on Manectric:

The blue and the yellow look very similar.

on a leave of absence

Old June 26th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Jak
@ dark eco

There are some Pokemon that despite getting a lighter/darker shade of the color they already are, they still look good, like Zigzagoon!

Of course, that's a much brighter shade than most get, but I think you get the point I was trying to make! Garchomp is probably the most boring shiny. :( Can't even tell it's shiny.

Blood will have blood.
Old June 29th, 2013, 11:26 PM
molivious
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
Quote:

Garchomp is probably the worst example of shiny Pokemon with colors too similar to the normal colors, but what other Pokemon do you think have not much differences between their normal and shiny sprites? Feel free to discuss!
lol. for others..um... Burmy!

Normal - Shiny

Same goes for Wormadam. Thankfully, Mothim looks... electrifying.

But how about the ugliest shinies? I vote for Krookodile

That's gotta be the only pokemon I'd hope for that wouldn't be shiny on my first meet.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.

Last edited by molivious; June 29th, 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:26 AM
Clawvile

The mew sprite in green scared my skeleton off the first time I saw it.
Same for Mr.Mime.
Old July 11th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Nuke

Nature: Relaxed
On a slightly related topic to my earlier Primeape post, I was just looking at Mankey's bulbapedia page.

Green Red
Yellow

How can you get it so horribly wrong twice and then perfect it while still being on the same generation of games? So confused.

Anyway, I agree with Garchomp for worst shiny. As for ugliest...

Krookodile is really bad. I'd have to go with Bronzong, though it's disadvantaged since it looked ugly in the first place.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old July 18th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Adventure
thief . of . light

Nature: Naive
Yeah, haha. There are a lot of pokémon who had really ugly designs in R/B (not even better than in Green version) but got a lot better in Yellow. It's because Yellow designs were more based on the anime's designs, I think. Or at lest on Sugimori's drawings.

Even though this isn't much different from it's regular sprite, I really like it :3 Doesn't beat shiny Furret's pink tho.
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:01 AM
AmourPearlShipper
Caution: Drunken people crossing

Man, Mew's Green sprite looks horrible.

What is this?

This is so much better.
SuperSkarmory | Serebii | Infernape in Ubers (peaked at #35!)
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here