The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:06 PM
LilithFaye

I don't care even a little bit about the gender of a pokemon, even for breeding there's Ditto so it doesn't affect my game at all, except for certain evolutions. That said, it seems I have mostly male pokemon, but it definitely isn't intentional.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:00 PM
Mirari

Do people care that much about gender? Geez @_@

I only care if I'm going to choose a nickname for my pokés... usually I have ideas only if it's for a female, don't ask me why.
Old July 24th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Azure Rathalδs
the power within
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I have this weird compulsion where most of my dragon-like pokémon MUST be female for some reason I don't even understand.

Apart from that, I don't really mind what gender a Pokémon is.
Old July 24th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Kyrul
Long Live The Note
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Oh yeah. I got a problem with those, if pokemon look male but are female, then it bugs me. I mean c'mon you gotta admit this would freak you out if you saw it.

Spoiler:
Old July 24th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Nuke

Nature: Relaxed
I don't really pay attention to the gender until someone uses Attract so it doesn't bother me that much.

I always refer to my Pokémon as 'it' rather than 'he' or 'she' as well, but I imagine the majority to be male primarily.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old July 24th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Tombo

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tombo Send a message via Yahoo to Tombo Send a message via Skype™ to Tombo
What? Nahh I have never been bothered by the gender of my pokemon lol

3DS friend code: 1478-4001-3509

I would love to link up with people so PM me today!

It's a whole new way to see,
It's a whole new place,
With a brand new attitude
But you still gotta catch 'em all
And be the best that you can be!
Old July 24th, 2013, 07:06 AM
PokeChris123
Pokémon Trainer

Nature: Quiet
For me, the gender doesn't really matter much of the Pokemon on my team except when it come to nicknames and evolution.

3DS Friend Code: 1590-4725-8396
Playstation Network ID: epic_oreo17
Nintendo Network ID: epic_oreo17

Pokemon Y Friend Safari - Flying: Woobat, Spearow, Hawlucha
Old July 31st, 2013, 07:57 AM
Charizard17

I usually don't care, unless I can't think of a nickname for a Pokémon of that species and gender. I've had masculine female Pokémon, and feminine male Pokémon, and I didn't mind. (Although, I tend to refer to genderless Pokémon as "he".)
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:39 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I don't really care that much, but usually I'll try to find Pokemon of a gender that I think they were 'intended' to be. Basically what I'm saying is, no female Mr. Mimes or Machamps, or no male Gorebyss or Roserades. Stuff like that.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:57 AM
BlueEspeon
Banned

Nature: Docile
I don't really care.
In my Pokemon White, One of my best Pokémon is a female Lucario.
But I've been waiting forever to get a female Espeon
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:04 AM
Starlight Sprite
Resident Moon Fairy
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Starlight Sprite
I'll usually reset my game over and over to get a female starter for breeding purposes. Outside of that gender doesn't make a huge difference to me, unless I have a particular nickname in mind (and there's quite a few for me ). Most commonly I'll name a Growlithe/ Arcanine "Lassie," so I'll go out of my way to find a female. One of the reasons I love Shinx and its evolutions is it's a decent Pokemon and I don't need to be picky about gender- Simba and Nala are both fine nicknames.

Gym Leader Korrina
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:44 AM
Darkrai666
ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai

Nature: Lax
Yeah I know that feel Like you know those moments when you talk to your pokemon Like you're playing Pokemon fire red and YOu just think it's badass and then you find out it's a girl..That is a little sexist but true cuZ you dont want your girl pokemon to do the rough work and Sometimes i catch Male ralts I mean a male Gardiveour? I dont think so

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:57 AM
WishCookie
ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!

I used to prefer males over females since the female's symbol and color used to bother me a lot. I liked the blue color and the male symbol since I thought that it matched very well with the HP bar and everything. I don't really care that much if its a female or male anymore. It still happens that I get this ''Oohh..I really wan't a male, oh well..'' feeling tho but I'm getting used to female pokemon. If there is a pokemon that has to be a female in order to evolve to a curtain pokemon then I'm using that pokemon as a female.

Diamond: 3782 4821 8857
HeartGold: 3740 9024 2026
Black: 3181 8256 6904
Black 2: 4599 8904 2318

Y: 1993 8202 9620
Old July 31st, 2013, 12:16 PM
takenbythewind
fly on little wing ♪

Nature: Calm
It depends on the Pokemon for me.
Mienshao for instance has to be a girl.
I actually had to breed a string of Mienfoo's till I got a female.
Don't know why, but Mienshao just looks like its meant to be a girl.
Same with Jigglypuff, Ninetales, ect.
Old July 31st, 2013, 12:58 PM
Vital
ignore the whisper
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Vital
Honestly, I think it's kind of obnoxious to be ... Pokesexist?

Unless you've got an irrational fear of your opponent spamming attract or something, I don't see how or why it should matter.
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:23 PM
Isaac
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Who cares about PKMNs genders. Not a diferrence for me.. Except for some, but yeah, i still catch it even if its male or female. My team are all male. Well, idk why lol.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:54 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

I don't really care - unless there were obvious gender differences, I wouldn't notice the difference half the time anyway. (Completely irrelevant, but obvious really doesn't look like its spelled correctly when I type it).

I do tend to end up with predominantly male teams though, for example between Emerald and Diamond teams I have only two female pokémon: Blissey (because they're all female) and Ninetales (because I thought it should be a girl for a beauty contest. It doesn't even get to battle xD ).
Old July 31st, 2013, 07:18 PM
Dott

Nature: Timid
I don't really care what gender my pokemon are, honestly, even if they look really masculine or feminine. My team's gender ratio is pretty balanced, but I didn't go to any effort to make it that way.
I don't even care what gender my player character is, I picked the male on in heart gold because I didn't care for the female's hat lol

Old July 31st, 2013, 08:13 PM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
Overall I don't really care what gender they are. Unless I'm catching to complete a breeding pair; then I pay attention. But I'll box them away anyways for later if I can conceive of a use for them. I seldom release anything unless it's a Pokemon I'm not going to train.

In a personal sense however; feelings differ, I allow myself, and I am more likely to become deeply attached to a female Pokemon than a male one. However I never get attached to Pokemon I didn't name; and I never name Pokemon that I didn't travel with extensively, and therefore bond deeply, with. I feel like nicknaming a Pokemon implies a more complex relationship than simply just the one between trainer and Pokemon. I occasionally nickname HM slaves for utility reasons if the need arises, but that doesn't do much. Pokemon that came with a name I didn't request usually end up being treated as if they've got no name at all.

But despite my personal tastes, I don't waste a usable Pokemon. While I wouldn't hesitate to release a box full of Magikarp; I would feel bad doing so with a box full of a less common, and/or annoying, Pokemon like Spinda. I especially feel responsible for finding good homes for all of them if I catch too many for my needs while grinding for shiny Pokemon. I once spent a week trading off a box full chaff Pokemon that I didn't want cluttering up my storage on the GTS. I was surprised they were valued at all, but the GTS is a worldwide place and somebody wanted them.

I ended up with essentially a box of Bidoof which I feel better about releasing into the wild than I did the other Pokemon.

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old July 31st, 2013, 08:35 PM
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
It depends on the pokemon's aesthetics. Some can go either way, some I prefer female, some I prefer male.

Just a quick example of two pokemon that have 50/50 gender splits but I prefer as a certain gender. Elegance and grace are attributed more to women, so I'd want a milotic to be female. A gyarados looks more rugged and powerful, so I'd want it to be male.
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:00 AM
Red99
World Champion

Nature: Rash
I don't tend to care too much about the gender of my Pokemon, unless I'm trying to raise a certain team of Pokemon, such as Red's team from the manga. Other than that, I don't really pay attention to the genders.

Don't listen to all those rumors about me, I'm just your average everyday Pokemon trainer!
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:51 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

I never bothered myself with genders since I'm already being bothered by natures & abilities...
Though I only have some hate for female Pikachus & Jellicents, they just look extremely girlish. I don't usually have a problem with pink pokes but pure pinkies like female Jellicents, Alomomola, Luvdisk, Gorebyss & Snubull bother me a bit.
I think both color & design matter, they must be... compatible with each other
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:55 AM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
I don't think the Pokemon have to be a certain gender just because for example there a 'girls' colour such as pink.
I have a female Garchomp & i think it adds character.
Like, You have to admit. A female Mr. Mime is pretty amusing
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:45 AM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Unless it's like female machamp, mr. mime, I don't mind. In fact, caring about genders only makes me grind more for the gender I want so I just stopped caring.

Old August 1st, 2013, 02:27 PM
Infinite Latios
Champion

Nature: Impish
There are some pokemon I don't want to be a certain gender. Like Kricketune. Chick-staches are not attractive. Female Kricketune will be forever alone. There's also Hauntail and Gorebyss, who I think should only be male or female, respectively. Gorebyss is pink, with eyelashes, and one of those seashell bras mermaids wear. How can Gorebyss be male? I also wouldn't want to get a male Jynx. Or a Female Mr. Mime. Or a female Machop/Machoke/Machamp. Alomomola and Luvdisc also should be strictly female. And Blissey. As well as Roselia. And Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable. And any Fairy Types. There are lots of pokemon who should only be female.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links