The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General > Pokémon Polls

Notices

Pokémon Polls Express your opinion in straightforward polls and questions about Pokémon that would otherwise fit in Pokémon General if they weren't so, well, straightforward. Vote away!

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Meh, do I even have to ask this? Garchomp or Flygon?
Garchomp 15 45.45%
Flygon 18 54.55%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 27th, 2013, 04:12 AM
AmourPearlShipper
Caution: Drunken people crossing

Advertise here
So they are both Dragon/Ground-types and both have appealing stats. I personally prefer Garchomp because he looks cooler and he's way better in OU. This is the set I enjoyed using:

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Fang

With a great base 130 attack and nearly unresisted STABs, Garchomp is a terror. Add Swords Dance and you have an incredible sweeper. Outrage and Earthquake are pretty much all he needs in order to bring ruin to your opponent's team. Fire Fang helps him take care of Skarmory and Ferrothorn. This Garchomp doesn't even need Life Orb to sweep, so a Yache Berry is used in order to allow him take one Ice-type attack. Be sure to remove faster Dragon-types such as Latios and Choice Scarf Pokemon with Ice Beam, as well as Mamoswine and Weavile.

Flygon on the other hand is good in UU as a U-turn spammer, especially when holding a Choice Scarf. I just like Garchomp more.

Now what about you?
SuperSkarmory | Serebii | Infernape in Ubers (peaked at #35!)
Old July 27th, 2013, 04:51 AM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
this poll is a no contest really. flygon can gtfo.
i use a garchomp myself. but i use dragon fang myself. as i can switch it up. and don't have to switch out. with her attack at 310. theres not that much of a difference. sandstorm is fun also.
Old July 27th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Adventure
the girl who w a i t e d

Nature: Naive
I don't care about gaming other than I appreciate if pokémon are able to learn okay attacks for in-game purposes. So for me it's mostly a question of design and background.

I think the middle evo in Garchomp's line is unnecessary.
The only point of it seems to be to not force players to have Gible until a high level, or let Garchomp come forth at a too low level (considering it's power).

Vibrava, on the other hand, is a pokémon I like. It's like sandy Yanma with dragon powers :p

And overall, as badass as Garchomp might look, I just fancy Flygon more. I like it as a dragon and I like it as a ground type. And I absolutely love dragonflies, so! It's one of the few gen III pokémon I appreciate more than average. Still, it's not one of my favorite pokémon and Garchomp isn't one of my least favorite. They are both average compared to many others in my mind. But Flygon gets my vote ^^

be sure to check out PokéPOTW #24 .
moderator of POKéMON GENERAL .
and of the ROLEPLAY CORNER .
paired to a b n e g a t i o n .
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:37 AM
ShiningLust
Gym Leader of Ground Oden

Nature: Jolly
ya I agree Flygon gets my vote he's always be one of my favorite dragons and he just looks cooler thin Garchomp I can't stand the way he looks to me I don't even like using him.

Egg Swap is back for GT10! Join us now and get swapping!
Pokemon White 2
Trainer Name: Oden
Friend Code: 4299-4642-0391
3DS Friend Name: Oden
3DS Friend Code: 3969-4646-3728
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I prefer using Flygon over Grachomp it has a cooler design than use a giant dragon-
it's a giant Dragon fly based pokemon.
it has an unique type of Dragon/ground as well.

And has a cooler shiny sprite.
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:08 AM
The Dark Avenger
'Sir'batsky

Nature: Adamant
1 I hate this poll, these are my favorite dragons, with kingdra and altaria close behind

Since Milotic is my favorite overall pokemon, I tend to like using Flygon in most of my RSE runthroughs. The matching tails sells them as an entire package. So, with that Flygon gets a slight edge, and my vote.
Old July 27th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Arlo

Garchomp is about as close to broken as a non-legendary gets.

I just like Flygon better, really.
Old July 27th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Starlight angel
icebreaker

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Starlight angel
I'd choose flygon pretty awsome pokemon to have
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:07 PM
TreeKangaroo
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nature: Naughty
Flygon because I used it and it saved my butt more times then I like to count. And it's stats aren't to amazing or terrible. While garchomp's are pretty much broken and I don't like broken pokemon because they're boring to use.(even though my weavile OHKO'd cynthia's garchomp with a single ice punch)
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:18 PM
The Dark Avenger
'Sir'batsky

I will say this. Garchomp is definitely underrated. It does have a great design based on a hammerhead and shark and a vibrant and unique color palette. I can't think of any pokemon with a similar one, unless someone else can think up one.
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Garchomp is underrated? It's been seen all over the Overused tier, or at least it was when it was first released. It's still considered overused due to its stats, moves, and abilities. Thing's an absolute beast in battles. Plus, its design is sleek.

Still, I like Flygon more. There are some personal reasons behind that, but I like the design. The big wings, the color choices, and its tiny little arms and claws. Adorable. Plus it was a drat handy card to have in a deck back when I used to play the TCG.
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:50 PM
waveguidebuizel
no ordinary buizel

Nature: Timid
For me, definitely flygon. I tend to like overused pokémon less, and I don't usually like training them. Also, I much prefer flygon's design. In addition, garchomp is one of the few pokémon I kinda despise for some reason. >_<

while keeping perfect time
you’ll bag up these hearts of mine
with your rhythmic shaking motion
let’s mix up more of our love potion

Water Safari: Octillery, Gyarados, Poliwhirl
Searching for Minccino, Gastrodon, Liepard, and Braixen safaris
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:58 PM
BubbleBeams
Defeating Champions Since 1999

Send a message via Skype™ to BubbleBeams
I'm definitely more appealed to Flygon. But I've also done more playthroughs with Flygon, whereas I've never done a playthrough with Garchomp. So I have more feels about Flygon.

And Flygon just looks a lot cooler to me, honestly.
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:00 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Although garchomp has more power behind it (they're a reason it was pushed into Ubers for a while), I prefer flygon for the design it has. It has a weird line, and maybe that's part of why I like it. =p

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old July 28th, 2013, 11:39 PM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
I like both Flygon and Garchomp but to decide things I would pick Garchomp : why because he is easy to train than Flygon and is more powerful opponent
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:34 AM
Sheep

Flygon definitely has the better design and I prefer its rounded stats over Garchomp's. Plus it has better speed which puts it at an advantage in my eyes. The Flygon line has a really cool design overall as well.

pair clubs
family twin
my star
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:37 AM
Castform
The Snow Land Pokémon

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
I love both of these Pokemon a lot so this was a hard decision. I slightly favor Flygon in terms of design just because it is a bit more unique and just was really well done imo. However when battling I would much rather have Garchomp because of its great speed and power that can rip through teams. Garchomp's design is also one of my favorites of gen 4. So overall I like Garchomp a bit more.

"Legends in snowy regions say that a woman who was lost on an icy mountain was reborn as Froslass."
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:08 PM
AmourPearlShipper
Caution: Drunken people crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
Garchomp is about as close to broken as a non-legendary gets.

I just like Flygon better, really.
Don't worry, there are even more broken non-legendary things, like Blaziken and Excadrill, who are Uberz. Though Garchomp was ridiculous back in Gen 4, and Flygon took its place and was one of the most common Pokemon especially after Mence's banning.
SuperSkarmory | Serebii | Infernape in Ubers (peaked at #35!)
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:42 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
Garchomp literally has a higher or equal stat in everything compared to Flygon, and a significantly greater BST.

Honestly, if this question is talking about which is more powerful in competitive usefulness, it may as well be asking if Mewtwo or Alakazam is better.
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:52 PM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
What the hell is going on? How is Garchomp LOSING TO FLYGON, WHAT IS THIS.
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:10 PM
Quetzal

Nature: Calm
I've used and loved both, but as I'm not competitive, Flygon gets my vote!
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:19 PM
Connor

I just fancy the design of Flygon way more than Garchomp. Add onto that Vibrava and Trapinch and it has a more ascetically pleasing evolution line in my opinion. I haven't used Garchomp as much as Flygon but i'm not to competitive with pokemon battle wise.
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:31 PM
The Dark Avenger
'Sir'batsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
Garchomp is underrated? It's been seen all over the Overused tier, or at least it was when it was first released. It's still considered overused due to its stats, moves, and abilities. Thing's an absolute beast in battles. Plus, its design is sleek.

Still, I like Flygon more. There are some personal reasons behind that, but I like the design. The big wings, the color choices, and its tiny little arms and claws. Adorable. Plus it was a drat handy card to have in a deck back when I used to play the TCG.
I should have mentioned that I meant underrated as far as its design. haha
Stats and competitive play usually aren't a major factor as to which pokemon I like. Generally, it seems like there are a good number of people that are a quick to call its design "ugly" when in fact it is one of the more beautiful dragon designs.
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:15 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I like both equally, but I like Garchomp slightly better because it hits harder and faster than Flygon. I also like the concept of a land shark.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:23 AM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
Based on design, I like Flygon more, and it's actually my favorite dragon-type. I love the color green, and its opposite red goes well with it. It's shiny coloration was also very well done. I like it's striped body pattern. I love it's rhombus shaped wings, which is one of my favorite shapes, and reminds me of kites. I used to hate the way its eyes looked, but then I saw Ash riding one in the Jirachi movie, and saw that they were merely lenses.

In terms of battle, I usually enjoy using the pokemon in lower tiers, that aren't so overpowered against the rest. So my choice:

Spoiler:
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here