The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:13 PM
ShinyXander

Nature: Modest

Advertise here
Okay, so personally, I think pick-up lines are more silly than anything. Are there people that have used effective pickup lines or had an effective pickup line used on them? If/when you are attracted to someone, how do you approach it? How would you like to be approached?

Dating can be pretty complicated, so I'm eager to hear about people's experiences!

Check me out on my new Twitter and YouTube!
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:16 PM
Castform
The Snow Land Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
I am shy and don't approach people with pickup lines anyways, but most are just silly and cheesy to me, however I do enjoy hearing them from time to time because a lot are really funny and make me laugh.

"Legends in snowy regions say that a woman who was lost on an icy mountain was reborn as Froslass."
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:19 PM
Moogles
better than u
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Oh god you just reminded me of when some drunk chick was hitting on me in Cuba.

"You look like a bad boy. I bet you want to stick it in." I was actually just having a cocktail when this girl who was totally ****ing out of her mind had walked up to me and blurted that out. I just sort of stared at her incredulously, but she wouldn't leave me alone. I told her that I was gay and she wouldn't believe me. I'm not sure if it even counted as a pickup line afterwards because she was just trying to say all the things she'd let me do to her. Incredibly embarrassing, one of her friends eventually found her and took her home.

That's my only experience with having someone hit on me so far. I try not to lead people on irl so I don't really deal with it.

Quote:
Honestly, Moogles, your posts are so nigh impossible to understand that I cannot help but just scratch my head. I know you’re trying to be clever and cute with your outright… pitiful writing style, but I’ll… try to tackle whatever drivel you said.
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:25 PM
ShinyXander

I'm also pretty shy, myself. I can't really see myself using any pickup lines. Most are cheesy and ridiculous, but some of them can make me laugh.

And wow, that must have been incredibly awkward, being hit on by someone like that. That's my one anxiety about the bar scene. Drunk people can be crazy. But yeah, I don't really lead anyone on either, so I guess I don't see it much at all.

Old August 1st, 2013, 08:31 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Veteran, Oracle, Harbinger

Nature: Quiet
I'm an astronaut and my mission is to explore Uranus. I got smacked soon after saying that lol.

I was never that shy when it came to being hit on or when I am hitting on someone I find cute and I do not see that changing anytime soon.

Hmph, have you begun to understand pain?
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:15 PM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Nature: Adamant
The only way to execute a pick up line effectively, convey the pick up line as if you acknowledge it's completely dumb. This works out as being a sarcastic joke. It's all about the tone and inflection. Though, I would never open up a conversation with one of these! Rather, I might throw one in during a date as a way both flirt and show off the my sarcastic charm.

Moogles, you be rejecting girls left and right, you be fishin' for them compliments? :p
Anyway, I know exactly how you feel, I mean, people are constantly competing for my attention it's soooo annoying being this desirable. Joking...Okay, now seriously, if someone is pushy and can't take a hint, after being polite, I simply don't engage them. If you keep talking they might see that as a chance still exists for you and them for whatever reason. I feel horrible, but when people that I don't know try to get touchy especially, I just pull away, walk somewhere else, and completely avert my attention away from them. It's just one of those thing I have thought is extremely rude that has happened a handful of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xulek View Post
I'm an astronaut and my mission is to explore Uranus. I got smacked soon after saying that lol.

I was never that shy when it came to being hit on or when I am hitting on someone I find cute and I do not see that changing anytime soon.
REALLY? lmao, yeah, this is like a second or third date joke, I repeat, make sure you present something like that as a joke. That's hilarious.

Retrodex Sprites
|D&D Forum|??? (coming soon)

Last edited by The Dark Avenger; August 1st, 2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:28 PM
Limerent
Community Supporter

I don't really give very good pick up lines, I used to try them quite a bit, usually it would consist of me thinking of something witty, saying the first two words, stuttering and then bursting out laughing uncontrollably :D The girl then looks at me like i'm a freak, which I am of course Now I don't try hit on chicks anymore because it just doesn't work out.

So there's this girl in my maths class that likes maths, maybe I should try some of these?:

"My love for you is like pi... never ending."

"I wish i was your problem set, because then I'd be really hard, and you'd be doing me on the desk."

Ha? Ha?
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:00 PM
ShinyXander

Quote:
Originally Posted by O07_eleven View Post
"I wish i was your problem set, because then I'd be really hard, and you'd be doing me on the desk."
If this wouldn't work, I couldn't imagine what would!

Old August 1st, 2013, 10:48 PM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Quote:
Originally Posted by O07_eleven View Post
I don't really give very good pick up lines, I used to try them quite a bit, usually it would consist of me thinking of something witty, saying the first two words, stuttering and then bursting out laughing uncontrollably :D The girl then looks at me like i'm a freak, which I am of course Now I don't try hit on chicks anymore because it just doesn't work out.

So there's this girl in my maths class that likes maths, maybe I should try some of these?:

"My love for you is like pi... never ending."

Ha? Ha?
So, I was going to respond with some math pick up lines of my own, but I am not sooo witty when I need to be sleeping. So, I googled "math pickup lines" and I read through some and realized, "hey, this guy totally just googled these pick up lines and went to this very same site. haha http://www.pickuplinesgalore.com/math.html

Retrodex Sprites
|D&D Forum|??? (coming soon)
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:57 PM
Limerent
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
So, I was going to respond with some math pick up lines of my own, but I am not sooo witty when I need to be sleeping. So, I googled "math pickup lines" and I read through some and realized, "hey, this guy totally just googled these pick up lines and went to this very same site. haha http://www.pickuplinesgalore.com/math.html
You are correct, i'm nowhere near good enough at maths to do my own pickup lines, I do General Mathematics and we're learning about Tax, very easy stuff. Look at the Pokemon pickup lines on that site, they're horrible
Old August 2nd, 2013, 06:43 AM
Chaval
My impediment is no hindrance.

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Chaval
Mine is the most simple and yet awesome line of all... "How you doin?" xD but mostly I just ask them out, you dont need a pick up line for that
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:29 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Would you like to suck on my Dark Armed Dragon?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:45 AM
Phantasmagoric

Send a message via Skype™ to Phantasmagoric
There's this pick up line application that I have on my phone, and the ones it gives out are just hysterical. I feel like one day, I should just go out to some crowded area, and hit up some girls, just to see their reaction.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:48 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I could not ever get my pick lines to work when I was trying to.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:07 AM
Esper

In the seventh or eighth grade I was talking with someone when a girl who I kind of liked came up to me and said "I lost my teddy bear. Will you sleep with me?" Then she laughed and ran back to her friends who all also laughed. It was very bewildering and embarrassing and it's the only experience I've had with pickup lines in real life.

deviantart blog pair
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:44 AM
Loki Laufeyson
MOVED to: Magma Leader Maxie

Nature: Lonely
I used to make awful pick-up lines just for fun, not for real purposes. People usually like when you make those then laugh about it, sometimes it worked even when I didn't want to hit on people. My boyfriend, on the other hand, is the only one who gets uncomfortable with it. He's really shy.

>> MOVED <<
Old August 2nd, 2013, 01:21 PM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
In the seventh or eighth grade I was talking with someone when a girl who I kind of liked came up to me and said "I lost my teddy bear. Will you sleep with me?" Then she laughed and ran back to her friends who all also laughed. It was very bewildering and embarrassing and it's the only experience I've had with pickup lines in real life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXhJC_Ko7hA

0:42

AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want to play with my Mystical Shine Balls?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
Awkward.
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
I don't think I could ever get the chance to use one. People usually see my face and run away before I can say anything. So yeah, no experiences in that category, although I've seen and heard some inappropriate ones.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

Pick up lines are stupid in general. If you really want to go out with someone it should be genuine, not just "I think you're pretty and I can't think of anything to say, so let's ****". :(
Old August 3rd, 2013, 10:10 AM
Mr. Downstairs
Community Supporter

I've actually never used a pickup line before. At least not intentionally. I don't really develop feelings for someone until I get to know them, and by that time, I'm comfortable enough around them to just ask if they want to go out with me.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:30 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

I never seriously use pick-up lines because I prefer just seeing where the conversation goes, although sometimes I'll text my girlfriend some bad lines while she's at work just to see if I can break her stoic exterior in public. A couple of days ago I sent her "Are you a beaver? 'Cause dam" and she called me just so I could listen to her coworkers laugh at it (she's not one to laugh).
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
ShinyXander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
I've actually never used a pickup line before. At least not intentionally. I don't really develop feelings for someone until I get to know them, and by that time, I'm comfortable enough around them to just ask if they want to go out with me.
This is basically how I am. I never try to approach someone I don't really know in a romantic manner, so I never really need to "break the ice" with any sort of pickup line. Feelings are typically just something that develops naturally with a friend or someone I've known for a while, making a pickup line just seem silly.

Old August 4th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Vital
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Vital
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Oh my god, this is the best thing ever.

Anyway, personally, I've never used a pickup line with the intention of actually trying to compliment someone (was that phrased right?). I do use them all the time as a joke between friends, though. Cause, ya know, we love each other.
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
Pick-up lines are the second greatest form humour. Next to puns, I love puns so much.
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Paladin

Eh, I don't use pick-up lines. Why?

Example!:
In which on one of the many times I've found myself traveling, I notice a very attractive girl in the breakfast area of the hotel.

Me: Hey, how you doing?
Girl: (Looks at me) . . . .
Me: So, how about that rain we had last night? [Doe!]
Girl: (Still looking at me) . . . . . . . . . .
Me: . . .
Girl: Okay, yes, I'm sorry. It was me that knocked on your door last night. I just confused the numbers, and thought the key had stopped working, and-I'm sorry! (Girl exit stage left.)
Me: *-*
Random Dude: Hey man, if that was supposed to be a pick-up (weirdterm), maybe you shouldn't stare at 'er like you're gonna kill 'er.
[Fail! The unwitting death glare!]

Yeah... I only ever tried pick-up lines four times or so.
I'm no good with that sort of thing, anyway. But hey, I'm fine.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here