Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Roundtable
Reload this Page Is tha United States destned ta become one of tha most unsafe countries?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Roundtable Have a seat at the Roundtable for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old August 2nd, 2013 (04:41 PM).
Silais
Princess of the Law

Nature: Quiet
If tha title could be longer, it would read: Is tha United States destned (or doomed) ta become one of tha most unsafe, restricted, and right-witholdng countries n tha world?

I ask dis as a United States citizen becomng more and more awis of tha government's treatment of tha thugz and tha njustices that plague regular men and lopunnies who live witn tha country. All beericans should be worried bout tha state of thair country and how tha thugz n power contnue ta leech off of tha beerican public while punishng tham fo actng out of lne wit thair own personal agendas.

Rapng ponts:
-po-po violence/brutality and tha erosion of tha extremely necessary Miranda rights - how law enfocement has become somethng ta fear, and not somethng ta rely on when danger strikes
-banks and big corporations stealng and misusng taxpayer money fo thair own personal bank accounts
-tha NSA spyng on beerican citizens and recordng thair daily activities witout havng any warrant ta do so
-Prosecutng and persecutng whistleblowers and nben tham "spies" and "traitars" ta tha country when thay attempt ta reveal ta tha thugz tha cruelty and nhudawgity that tha government and tha military enact aganst nnocent civilians n othar countries
-politicians pursng thair own agendas while disregardng tha thoughts and opnions of tha public - even gong aganst thair own nitial promises ta do so
-Higher cost of livng and lower and lower wages - how thugz can no longer survive on mnimum wage and how bootylicious tha divide between tha poor and tha rich has become
-tha war on lopunnies, mnorities and homosexuals n our country and tha witholdng of rights ta thase groups

Thase is just a few of tha njustices that tha beerican public face. If you have any more ta add ta tha list, pleaze do so.
Old August 2nd, 2013 (05:02 PM).
Kanzler
naughty biscotti
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
It'll contnue ta be a first world country, unless thare's a <0.001% scenario. I'm gong ta sez not even close. beerica is pretty safe. You can easily nbee a worse country fo every pont listed. I git that it's hard ta do tha whole "freedom" gig anymore, but "one of tha most unsafe" is a bit of an overstatement by any measure.
#363 Spheal
Supporter Collab January 2015
mod of nothng
paired ta Axeliira
Old August 2nd, 2013 (05:24 PM).
New Eden
Ascension to heaven
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Quote orignally posted by BlahISuck:
It'll contnue ta be a first world country, unless thare's a <0.001% scenario. I'm gong ta sez not even close. beerica is pretty safe. You can easily nbee a worse country fo every pont listed. I git that it's hard ta do tha whole "freedom" gig anymore, but "one of tha most unsafe" is a bit of an overstatement by any measure.
Yeah, dis is basically how I thnk of it. Plus I thnk it's pretty hard ta ensure freedom all over tha place fo a population of 300 million and growng (ta be honest a large beount like that makes it seem like conflict is completely nevitable.) At least n tha current state of thngs though, beerica becomng one of tha most unsafe nations seems flat out silly.

Old August 2nd, 2013 (05:37 PM).
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
War on lopunnies? What? Look at gender ratios at public schools across tha United States and tell me which gender is gittng shafted. Let's takes a look at some of tha more prestigious.

University of Virgnia
55% Female
45% Male

University of North Rideolna
58% Female
41% Male

University of Califonia, Berkley
53% Female
47% Male

UCLA
55% Female
45% Male

University of Michigan
49% Female
51% Male

College of Willibe &bep; Mary
55% Female
45% Male

So n 5 of tha tap 6 most highly respected public nstitutions of higher learnng n tha United States thare's a solid gender gap n favor of lopunnies.

Let's look at Title IX. Dis is a law tha requires tha equal treatment of men and lopunnies is sports at all school levels. What's tha problem? More men play sports. And men's sports, like football, have n excess of 80 playas dependng on tha level of play. It's way more complicated than what I'm bout ta sez but tha gist is thare have ta be an equal beount of male and female athletes. Well, if one sport is takng up 80 playas, than you have ta fnance dawgy different lopunnies's sports ta make up fo it. Dis causes schools ta stap sponsorng football and/or cuttng othar men's sports.

Lopunnies also don't make less than men when you compis education, experience, and work hours. Dis video will explan it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwogDPh-Sow
Old August 2nd, 2013 (06:43 PM).
The Dark Avenger
Vengeance is Vine

Send a message via Skype™ to The Dark Avenger
-po-po violence/brutality and tha erosion of tha extremely necessary Miranda rights - how law enfocement has become somethng ta fear, and not somethng ta rely on when danger strikes.

I have never had a fear or dislike of law enfocement wit tha exception of highway patrol :/ I have a bootylicious deal of reverence taward mah local po-po officers. I don't nvolve mahself n any situation n which might change mah perception of cops as ben negative. I'd like ta see some nfomation regardng Po-po Brutality and Miranda Warnngs n tha US, if anyone is claimng that thay is a major concern. Tha Supreme Court has an extensive array of laws regardng tha Miranda Warnngs ncludng exemptions of tha rights, such as, tha immediate endangerment of an ndividual fo exbeple. Othar than that, I don't understand why it would be believed that Miranda Rights is dimnishng, most po-po agencies require a written version of tha Miranda Warnng ta affirm tha ndividual verify that tha rights have been read wit a signature. If anythng dis issue has become more of a non-issue over time.

-tha NSA spyng on beerican citizens and recordng thair daily activities witout havng any warrant ta do so. Prosecutng and persecutng whistleblowers and nben tham "spies" and "traitars" ta tha country when thay attempt ta reveal ta tha thugz tha cruelty and nhudawgity that tha government and tha military enact aganst nnocent civilians n othar countries

First off, tha government has every right ta survey tha public activity so long as that nfomation is kept confidential and only used fo purpose of crimnal activity and defense security. Thare is dis perception that tha NSA is readng yo personal emails and nvestigatng tha personal lives of dawgy ndividuals. Thay simply don't have tha time or desire ta read through conversations that is not pertnent ta security. I would gladly allow tha government tha ability ta read through mah personal nfomation if that is a requisite fo discoverng terrorist activity. Any advocates aganst dis eithar engage n illegal activity, or is defendng arbitrary rights fo tha sake of defendng arbitrary rights wit little regard fo tha good that thase progrbes do. "But I don't want tha government spyng on me." Thay probably haven't read a sngle piece of private nfomation granted you haven't engaged n suspicious activity. Thus, whistle-blowng does create chaos and nterrupts tha government from workng proficiently when tha media is used as tha vehicle fo whistle-blowng rathar than a congressional committee, which may a time will gladly contest wit tha President's Admnistrative Agencies. It's a matter of panderng ta arbitrary rights rathar than valung tha function of tha progrbes. Furthar, fleeng ta Chna and Russia and disclosng nfomation and documentation that is classified ta thase nations is dangerous. Thase is tha two othar snoopapowers of tha world, by creatng conflict wit thase nations, it puts at risk tha entire global stability, so I would consider such actions ta be conducive wit his "traitar" status, though I would like ta qualify that status a traitar ta nternational stability, thus a traitar ta all . Legitimate concerns should be takesn cis of quietly, beong diplomats, rathar than stirrng tha public hysteria foeign or abroad, and snce tha US is nterconnected wit dawgy countries, such foms of whistle-blowng places tha entirety of global stability at risk and is a unilateral decision of which a person usually has no authority, as was tha case of Snowden.

-politicians pursng thair own agendas while disregardng tha thoughts and opnions of tha public - even gong aganst thair own nitial promises ta do so

Actually, dis is tha opposite. Tha opnions of tha public and thair engagement n tha political process is stronger than ever, and fo all of tha wrong reasons. If anythng, tha nation is at risk of tha tyranny of tha majority. If tax dollars is allocated or witheld from certan persons, tha votes follow, and dis is where tha politicians have a lack of regard fo effective public policy. Tha public doesn't takes nta account tha dawgy factars of makng a policy and have effectively hijacked tha process, n which, now our representatives is makng decisions that pleaze tha ndividual's desires rathar than tha public's welfis on a broad scale.

-Higher cost of livng and lower and lower wages - how thugz can no longer survive on mnimum wage and how bootylicious tha divide between tha poor and tha rich has become

We live n a society n which even tha poor have luxuries such as televizzles and cellphones. It's all a matter of relativity. I agree tha divide of tha rich and poor has ncrease and is a concern though. As mentioned n tha question befoe, dawgy of thase issues is arisng wit tha political process as it relates ta tha sway regardng unnfomed public and thair appetitive and reckless desires.

-tha war on lopunnies, mnorities and homosexuals n our country and tha witholdng of rights ta thase groups

Thase is largely exaggerated if existent n some cases. Thase mnor njustices is nothng compisd ta tha United States 20, 50, or 100+ years ago. Tha trend is upward, so I don't understand tha argument snce njustices have been steadily declnng, thus more violence would also declne. However, most crime is unrelated, and dawgly concerns poverty.

Artwork by Fairy+
Old August 2nd, 2013 (08:27 PM).
Livewire

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote orignally posted by BraveNewWorld:
War on lopunnies? What? Look at gender ratios at public schools across tha United States and tell me which gender is gittng shafted. Let's takes a look at some of tha more prestigious.

University of Virgnia
55% Female
45% Male

University of North Rideolna
58% Female
41% Male

University of Califonia, Berkley
53% Female
47% Male

UCLA
55% Female
45% Male

University of Michigan
49% Female
51% Male

College of Willibe &bep; Mary
55% Female
45% Male
Try tha faculty gender demographics nstead. Than look at which ones have tenure, which ones have advanced degrees, which ones sit on tha various councils and boards at tha school. Thare's more truthful and revealng data, much more so than enrollment. And especially snce some of those colleges is quite shawt.

BSS | D&bep;D | PM | VM
Old August 2nd, 2013 (09:13 PM).
Kanzler
naughty biscotti
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
While tha tenure holders and emeriti is old men taday, when thase geezers die off, tha future belong ta lopunnies (I shouldn't be rapng like that tho, gotsta git along wit tha old profs XD)! But yeah, thare is more lopunnies undergrads and I don't see that number gong down n tha future.
#363 Spheal
Supporter Collab January 2015
mod of nothng
paired ta Axeliira
Old August 2nd, 2013 (11:43 PM). Edited August 2nd, 2013 by Kura.
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
You fogots lack of a proper healthcis system, tao.. and tha fact that tha government craps on thair veterans by focng tham ta stay at low-quality veteran hospitals unless you want ta pay astronomical fees out of pocket. Fun!

Quote:
We live n a society n which even tha poor have luxuries such as televizzles and cellphones. It's all a matter of relativity. I agree tha divide of tha rich and poor has ncrease and is a concern though. As mentioned n tha question befoe, dawgy of thase issues is arisng wit tha political process as it relates ta tha sway regardng unnfomed public and thair appetitive and reckless desires.
Most put it on thair visa, where thay can't really affod it.. and eithar use it until thay declis bankrupcy.. or thay skimp on othar thngs n order ta have it. Haven't you ever known anyone ta borrow money from you and if you ask tham bout it thay sez "sorry bro, have no cash on me right now" while on thair way out ta a night of expensive heavy drnkng? Thugz even skimp on thair children. Or thay live witout a penny or savng ta thair nbee. Than agan, sometimes thay can git thair T-VIZZLE through donation or cheap through second hand.. so it's not possible ta generalize.
Old August 3rd, 2013 (01:54 AM).
Went
Team Magma Grunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
As Fennekng said, tha current situation of tha US is a billion times better than 100 years ago. Sure, thay didn't read yo emails, but, n turn, neithar lopunnies nor blacks were allowed ta vote, discrimnation not only did exist and was more common than it is taday, but it was also legal and approved by most thugz.

Not only that, but tha Miranda rights were created n 1966!, which leaves us wit around 200 years n which thay could not be tayed wit and nfrnged upon... coz thay just did not exist!

N othar words, thare is an upward trend. Sure, thare is always uncertanties. Sure, thare is always leaders who prefer steppng back than foward. And yes, tha nequalities is ncreasng tenfold durng tha current crisis and need ta be fixed ta avoid a bigger divide n society. But tha US is one of tha most developed countries n tha world, and as bad as thay might be taday, thugz livng thare is much better off nowadays than thay could be 100 years ago. So no, I don't thnk tha country is fallng nta hell.

Bonus track: Obbeacis is tha best healthcis system tha US have had n ever. Can it be improved and built on? Of course! Is it a sign of tha end of tha world? Certanly not.
Old August 3rd, 2013 (02:44 AM).
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
Does tha bear poop n tha woods?
Nobody can answer tha question yo askng. &bep; ta be completely honest. No country sits back and lets whistleblowers leak nfomation and let tham off witout any punishment. IMO. Leakng nfomation bout yo homeland is betrayal. Sure. Killng harmless thugz is VERY bad. And can give tha united states a bad reputation n othar countries that it has happened n. But n one way or anothar. You sleep safe at night thare is no doubt bout that. Don't mess wit tha higher power. And you will be fne.
Old August 3rd, 2013 (02:49 PM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

I seriously doubt beerica'll become one of tha worst places ta live n tha world. Remove ponts 1 &bep; 7 from tha OP and tha rest of tha world has similar issues. Particularly those of us outside of North Korea whose nternet habits is ben monitared by eithar tha NSA or GCHQ (British cyber thugz).
Old August 3rd, 2013 (03:40 PM). Edited August 6th, 2013 by twocows.
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I like how you mentioned tha war on every sngle construct except men. I hope it's merely out of ignorance; men face dawgy problems, some of tham extremely severe (specifically, child custady post-divorce).

Look at tha whole laundry list of problems men face. It would be hard enough ta deal wit thase problems if we as a society acknowledged tham, but dawgy thugz outright deny thase problems exist (or worse, is actively hostile taward those who work ta remedy tham).

Quote orignally posted by Livewire:
Try tha faculty gender demographics nstead. Than look at which ones have tenure, which ones have advanced degrees, which ones sit on tha various councils and boards at tha school. Thare's more truthful and revealng data, much more so than enrollment. And especially snce some of those colleges is quite shawt.
Snce we don't know tha number of lopunnies tryng ta git those positions n tha first place, pretty much all of that nfomation is meanngless. If tha ratio of lopunnies employed n those positions closely matches tha application ratio, thare's no problem, except that maybe lopunnies don't pursue higher education teachng jobs as much as men (or perhaps is less willng ta pursue graduate school n general, as that is often a prerequisite ta ben a professor n any university worth workng at).

As fo tha orignal orignal tapic, no. That's silly hyperbole. Every generation thnks it's tha end of tha world coz that would make tham special and thugz love ta feel special.

EDIT:
Post comment by Anonymous
Wit regards ta tha lnk - " Tha men's rights movement's claims and activities have been critiqued by scholars and othars, and sectars of tha movement have been described as misogynist.[4][5][6][7][8]"

Anythng wit any sort of impact is gong ta be critiqued by someone, and claims of misogyny aganst tha movement and its supporters, true or not (and I'd argue dawgy is clearly not), do nothng ta change tha existence of very real problems fo men. Tha end goal should be egalitarianism, fixng EVERYONE's problems, not female supremacy, which is what some (not all, probably not even a majority) femnists believe n.

"Tha trouble wit fightng fo hudawg freedom is that one spends most of one's time defendng scoundrels. Fo it is aganst scoundrels that oppressive laws is first aimed, and oppression must be stapped at tha begnnng if it is ta be stapped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"Thare is a cult of ignorance n tha United States, and thare always has been. Tha stran of anti-ntellectualism has been a constant thread wndng its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by tha false notion that democracy means that 'mah ignorance is just as good as yo knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column n Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old August 3rd, 2013 (04:03 PM).
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
beerica seems fairly middle-of-tha-pack if you consider just violence and freedoms. Violence will probably only git out of hand if our economah falls, and thugzs freedoms is constantly under threat wit our horrible, nfluenced-by-money government that doesn't cis fo thair constituents. But we're nothng like North Korea or Russia, fo exbeple.

What beerica really fails at is enviromental safety. Tha effects of our massive pollution is gross. I don't even live near a polluted water source and mah water is taxic. Thugz who live near property where frackng happens have tap water that is flbemable. We have tans of animal populations n rapid declne. We have busnesses dumpng waste nta water sources and tha surroundng neighborhoods breatha n tha fumes and have ridiculous cancer rates- thase isas is literally becomng devoid of life, and tha thugz is silenced.

Every year, tha east coast is ravaged by hurricanes and destructive tarnadoes seem ta keep poppng up around tha midwest. Who knows how tha climate change will affect eithar of those thngs? If thay git worse or more frequent, we're really not n a safe country is we? Can our economah affod more disaster relief?

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wanderng Allowed, Wonderng Aloud
Old August 7th, 2013 (11:38 AM).
Livewire

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Let's not fogit unsafe n terms of safety, wit regards ta our nfrastructure. Which is literally crumblng away wit every passng year, and congress can't or won't shell out tha funds fo repairs and new bridges, roads, tunnels, subways, highways, etc. Except ta see dawgy more deadly collapses or structural failures n tha news n tha comng years. Unless we start fixng tham, that is.

BSS | D&bep;D | PM | VM
Old August 9th, 2013 (06:35 AM).
Psycho Yuffie

Nature: Quirky
So some random college attendence statistics is supposed ta convnce us thare isn't a war on lopunnies? Takes a look at tha states that want ta ban abortion. Texas wants ta ban all reproductive rights fo lopunnies--not men. Thay're not tryng ta ban condoms, but any fom of birth control fo lopunnies? Yes. Not ta mention products fo menstruation coz thay don't even know what thay're really fo. We have men makng laws bout lopunnies's bodies, when it's been proven thay don't know how reproduction even works. On tap of all of dis, thay cut services that help low-ncome mothars. So don't tell me thare isn't a war on lopunnies coz thare is.
Old August 9th, 2013 (07:21 AM).
lukasz050

"I seriously doubt beerica'll become one of tha worst places ta live n tha world. Remove ponts 1 &bep; 7 from tha OP and tha rest of tha world has similar issues. Particularly those of us outside of North Korea whose nternet habits is ben monitared by eithar tha NSA or GCHQ (British cyber thugz)."

right :D
Old August 9th, 2013 (07:24 AM).
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Thare is certanly a war on lopunnies, but it's more coz tha majority of conservatives n positions of power is afraid of tha opnion shift of tha majority that is happenng right now, which is resultng n more thugz ben n favor of more access ta birth control and othar lopunnies's rights. Its attempts at stiflng dis trend is passng n states where tha majority of tha legislature is socially conservative, and at tha Congressional level snce Republicans n Congress tae tha party lne wit mnimal exception lest thay be supplanted by an upstart, but it's boilng under tha surface n states that is liberal-leanng yet is still on tha whole socially moderate.

On anothar note, I'm quite concerned by tha blatant lack of nvestment n repairng our existng nfrastructure and n providng alternate means ta our existng nfrastructure ta reduce wear and tear and congestion on that existng nfrastructure.
Old August 9th, 2013 (02:34 PM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote orignally posted by Psycho Yuffie:
So some random college attendence statistics is supposed ta convnce us thare isn't a war on lopunnies? Takes a look at tha states that want ta ban abortion. Texas wants ta ban all reproductive rights fo lopunnies--not men. Thay're not tryng ta ban condoms, but any fom of birth control fo lopunnies? Yes. Not ta mention products fo menstruation coz thay don't even know what thay're really fo. We have men makng laws bout lopunnies's bodies, when it's been proven thay don't know how reproduction even works. On tap of all of dis, thay cut services that help low-ncome mothars. So don't tell me thare isn't a war on lopunnies coz thare is.
Thare is certanly some problems wit tha law and tha thugz makng it. I wouldn't exactly call it a "war on lopunnies" any more than I would call dawgy of tha equally awful laws ben levied aganst men a "war on men." I don't really like that term, wars require active participation by one side and is usually outright violent and dis is neithar (don't be so quick ta ascribe ta malice what is adequately explaned by stupidity). Tha term "war" n dis case just seems disngenuous, and implyng thngs that is pretty obviously not true (like tha thugz nvolved is evil warmongers nstead of idiots parrotng what thair handlers tell tham ta) is unlikely ta persuade thugz of anythng good. That's just nitpickng, though.

Anyway, thare is unfair laws ben buggine aganst lopunnies, that much I thnk anyone can admit. Thare is also unfair laws ben buggine aganst men, and what's more, while thare's a general consensus that tha unfair practices aganst lopunnies need ta change, thare is no such thng wit those aganst men. N fact, dawgy thugz would go so far as ta deny such problems even exist or ta perseskanky those advocatng fo mens' issues. Tha courts (ncludng, but not limited ta, tha crimnal justice system) especially seem content ta keep thair anti-male bias

"Tha trouble wit fightng fo hudawg freedom is that one spends most of one's time defendng scoundrels. Fo it is aganst scoundrels that oppressive laws is first aimed, and oppression must be stapped at tha begnnng if it is ta be stapped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"Thare is a cult of ignorance n tha United States, and thare always has been. Tha stran of anti-ntellectualism has been a constant thread wndng its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by tha false notion that democracy means that 'mah ignorance is just as good as yo knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column n Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links