Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page Official September CoroCoro Discussion Thread -- Mega Evolutions, New Pokémon, More!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Mega Evolutions?
I think it's a great idea! 145 74.36%
I don't really like it all that much... 50 25.64%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 8th, 2013 (07:41 PM).
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
Crystal Tier

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by Fenneking:
Actually, I only said similar in that they are exclusive to one region. Which is possible. The technology to craft shadow pokemon existed exclusively in that version. The same could be said with mega evolution technology, rather than simply formes as introduced in past generations.
Well you had the dumbest speculation... OF ALL TIME...

Anyway, maybe these MEGAs could have something to with Pokemon research or whatever the motives of Team Flare are. Would be awesome if the first Pokemon that they successfully awaken is a MegaBlaziken and that's how we're properly introduced to them.

Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
Old August 8th, 2013 (07:49 PM).
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by XanderO:
Torchic event confirms that Dream World "Hidden" Abilities still exist despite the possibility of the Dream World no longer existing when Gen 6 is released.
The DW abilities will still exist but the method will change. Hopefully it's something better than the Dream World, and hopefully they don't become event exclusives.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
Old August 8th, 2013 (07:49 PM).
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
So that's our "scoop of the century"?! Quite a disappointment, especially considering that Blaziken is already an Uber in the competitive scene. Still, a four-stage evolutionary line has never happened before in Pokemon, unlike Digimon. I hope they'll all be given different names.
Old August 8th, 2013 (07:56 PM).
Legendary Lucario Warrior

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Cerberus87:
The DW abilities will still exist but the method will change. Hopefully it's something better than the Dream World, and hopefully they don't become event exclusives.

I agree, dream world was one of the few things that was WAY too over the top.
I like Dream Radar though, I think they should make an extended version, sort of like an improved Dream World...but on the 3DS itself not online.

And nobody answered my question. Is the news report about Region Locks real?

Prepare to die.

[If you ever want to hear my ideas, just ask~
Actually, looking for help with some of them...]
Old August 8th, 2013 (07:59 PM).

I...don't know how to feel about these designs. Hm. I'll need to think about this before coming to a complete conclusion. I'm leaning towards "like", though.
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:12 PM).
► My Happy Little Pill 
Platinum Tier

Nature: Lax
...I have no idea how I feel about this. I'm really hoping that if anything this will just be a different form change, not a new evolutionary stage. Having a Legendary evolve in Mewtwo's case just seems against what we've know for so long it'd be just weird to change (Which they can do whatever they want, but still, dat precedent). The Ampharos one just looks extremely silly. I mean, how does adding what looks like clouds on its head and tail give it Dragon typing?
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:15 PM).
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
Crystal Tier

Nature: Naughty
I'm slowly appreciating Ampharos and that weave... it reminds me of a flop version of that Electric/Dragon Smogon CAP Pokemon...

Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:17 PM).
Night Of The Final Day

Nature: Sassy
Hmm. Earlier I LOATHED this idea... Now I'm warming up to it more. It's just something new. Huge change. But it could end up being a great new feature that we all love. We'll find out in just 2 months.

What other pokemon should get mega evolutions? Since the designs are just so bad ass, I'd like to see

MegaNinetales (Change to fire/psychic)

MegaMilotic (Change to water/fairy)

MegaGengar (Change to ghost/dark)

MegaZoroark

MegaCrobat

MegaHoundoom

MegaGirafirig (change to Psychic/Electric)

MegaPidgeot (change to Flying/Dragon)

MegaLapras

MegaStarmie
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:17 PM).
is a Shrew

Nature: Lonely
These are the questions going through my mind...

1. For pokemon like Absol and Mawile, does getting megas mean they will never get evolutions? Currently only pokemon which cannot evolve further have megas (for instance, Torchic and Combusken do not have megas.)

2. Because of this new heavy emphasis on megas, does this mean no past pokemon will get evolutions? Even-numbered generations had the pattern of introducing evos, but the fact that Mawile got a mega instead of an evolution makes me wonder.

3. Will the 14 past starters besides Blaziken also get megas? Torchic has been given bias in the past, such as being the only starter allowed in Amity Square, having its own wallpapers for the PC system; also, the fact that Blaziken+Latias was originally conceptualized as a single pokemon. The very fact that they're showing off Blaziken but no other starter already shows Gamefreak's bias to this pokemon.

My complaints:

1. Why couldn't Absol's mega be Dark/Psychic?

2. How can you attach a wooly mane onto a sheep/kangaroo and call it a dragon? Sounds like forced typing... al beit reminiscent to Altaria.

3. I wish these megas would start out only be used for pokemon like Ampharos, Pidgeot, Poliwrath... things that aren't that good, yet already reached their max evolutions. Giving it to pokemon that could still evolve (Mawile/Absol) seems unnecessary; and giving it to pokemon that are already top tier (Blaziken and Lucario) just widens the strength gap.

Coincidence:
In the past, I never liked that Ampharos lost its wool when evolving. I used to imagine how there could be wool coat item for it to hold, which would increase it's defenses. I'm really happy to see that Ampharos has a mega that has regained its wool.
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:26 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Since this mostly concerns Mega Forms I'mma post this update from Serebii.

Quote originally posted by Serebii:
Following yesterdays reveal of the new Pokémon, and the Mega Evolutions, some clear images have surfaced which showcase some of these Pokémon in battle. It also provides a few further bits of information. First, Pokémon can only Mega Evolve when they are holding a Mega Stone. It's not yet known whether the Mega Stone is one specific item, or a separate one such as the Blazikenite that the event Torchic holds. It also confirms that Mega Evolutions are temporary in battle.
It confirms that not all Pokémon will have Mega Evolutions. The Master Tower has a connection to Mega Evolutions
Finally, it also confirms that Super Training will increase Pokémon's "Kiso" Points. The translation of it indicates that this may be what we call EVs
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:29 PM). Edited August 8th, 2013 by Scarecr0wFixatioN.

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecr0wFixatioN
A little iffy on the 3 new pokes that were revealed. The new gym leader Koruni has an interesting design, and I can't help but think she may be a dark type user.

I love the designs for all the mega-evolutions, and I just hope enough of the right pokemon get them. The overall idea of mid-battle evo's that aren't permanent seem pretty cool to me.
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:29 PM).
Champion

I just thought of something else. I'm hoping for a MegaLuvdisc. Or at least a Luvdisc evolution. It's so pathetic, and it's stayed that way for three generations. They need to do SOMETHING for Luvdisc. Oh, and I'm calling it now, Luvdisc will be Fairy Type.
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:31 PM).
Fictional Writer.

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Shrew:
These are the questions going through my mind...

1. For pokemon like Absol and Mawile, does getting megas mean they will never get evolutions? Currently only pokemon which cannot evolve further have megas (for instance, Torchic and Combusken do not have megas.)

2. Because of this new heavy emphasis on megas, does this mean no past pokemon will get evolutions? Even-numbered generations had the pattern of introducing evos, but the fact that Mawile got a mega instead of an evolution makes me wonder.

3. Will the 14 past starters besides Blaziken also get megas? Torchic has been given bias in the past, such as being the only starter allowed in Amity Square, having its own wallpapers for the PC system; also, the fact that Blaziken+Latias was originally conceptualized as a single pokemon. The very fact that they're showing off Blaziken but no other starter already shows Gamefreak's bias to this pokemon.

My complaints:

1. Why couldn't Absol's mega be Dark/Psychic?

2. How can you attach a wooly mane onto a sheep/kangaroo and call it a dragon? Sounds like forced typing... al beit reminiscent to Altaria.

3. I wish these megas would start out only be used for pokemon like Ampharos, Pidgeot, Poliwrath... things that aren't that good, yet already reached their max evolutions. Giving it to pokemon that could still evolve (Mawile/Absol) seems unnecessary; and giving it to pokemon that are already top tier (Blaziken and Lucario) just widens the strength gap.

Coincidence:
In the past, I never liked that Ampharos lost its wool when evolving. I used to imagine how there could be wool coat item for it to hold, which would increase it's defenses. I'm really happy to see that Ampharos has a mega that has regained its wool.
Part 1:
1. Probably. With them getting Megalutions, I do not see them evolving anymore.
2. No, because if they were going to throw out old pokemon to get evolutions, they wouldn't have given Eevee another one.
3. I would say that every starter will get one in time. But maybe not all this generation.

Part 2:
1. I do not know this, but I have to agree. They should have given Absol a dual type to go with the rest in my opinion.
2. I honestly think they liked the fan art that someone made forever ago. It looked almost exactly like the fan art.
3. I agree with this. I think Mawile at least should have gotten an Evo before Mega, however at least normal Mawile is Steel/Fairy as well. This is probably being because they did not want to evolve some stand alone pokemon. They probably could change it up a little and actually give Mawile a evo later on, but I doubt it. Right now people are thinking they are truly evolutions and not just forms, though the fan site confirm that it is only a in battle form. We will not know 100% until we get more info.

Also the fan art I am talking about for Ampharos is somewhere in this thread or the Biggest scope thread, but it is near the start I think. If I can find it, I may repost it here.

THANK GOD!!! I was so not wanting those pokemon to be in the dex. I am so so glad they are just forms. Now we don't have to consider those new pokemon and the are just battle forms
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:32 PM).
ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by XanderO:
Since this mostly concerns Mega Forms I'mma post this update from Serebii.
So it is Supposed to be temporary In a battle like 2 to 3 turns and then they change back to normal? Oh God..Im not a genwunner But If this "Mega Evolution" Is as bad as it sounds I may have to change into One

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:34 PM).
TheCoolestTentacool

Nature: Docile
It's confirmed their only temporary form changes and are battle exclusives and that not all pokemon will receive them. There's also updated screenshots and.....they really look even better in battle. Go to Serebii
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:35 PM).

personally I hope that it turns out they used that enormous cartridge space to put mega evolutions in for every single fully evolved pokemon. that'd be awesome, and it'd bring the effective count above 1000
Champion

Quote originally posted by Darkrai666:
So it is Supposed to be temporary In a battle like 2 to 3 turns and then they change back to normal? Oh God..Im not a genwunner But If this "Mega Evolution" Is as bad as it sounds I may have to change into One
Nah, I think it'll be a little more like Meloetta's Pirouette Forme. Like, you can change back whenever you want, but you can't have it be mega form out of battle and you have to do something to transform it.

Quote originally posted by Therizinosaurus:
personally I hope that it turns out they used that enormous cartridge space to put mega evolutions in for every single fully evolved pokemon. that'd be awesome, and it'd bring the effective count above 1000

well, I assume so, anyway, without doing any math...

Quote originally posted by Iceman3317:
Part 1:
1. Probably. With them getting Megalutions, I do not see them evolving anymore.
2. No, because if they were going to throw out old pokemon to get evolutions, they wouldn't have given Eevee another one.
3. I would say that every starter will get one in time. But maybe not all this generation.

Part 2:
1. I do not know this, but I have to agree. They should have given Absol a dual type to go with the rest in my opinion.
2. I honestly think they liked the fan art that someone made forever ago. It looked almost exactly like the fan art.
3. I agree with this. I think Mawile at least should have gotten an Evo before Mega, however at least normal Mawile is Steel/Fairy as well. This is probably being because they did not want to evolve some stand alone pokemon. They probably could change it up a little and actually give Mawile a evo later on, but I doubt it. Right now people are thinking they are truly evolutions and not just forms, though the fan site confirm that it is only a in battle form. We will not know 100% until we get more info.

Also the fan art I am talking about for Ampharos is somewhere in this thread or the Biggest scope thread, but it is near the start I think. If I can find it, I may repost it here.

I must share the Gloriousness of Fabiphros with the world~

I had posted it so I thought I'd do you a favor and get it for ya.
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:36 PM).

Quote originally posted by Infinite Latios:
Nah, I think it'll be a little more like Meloetta's Pirouette Forme. Like, you can change back whenever you want, but you can't have it be mega form out of battle and you have to do something to transform it.

yea you need to give it an item to hold, and then expose it to a sort of mega evolutionary stone. so itll be semi-perminant at the least
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:37 PM).
Legendary Lucario Warrior

Nature: Relaxed
I had a thought...
there are many pokemon who can only evolve via an elemental stone....
Will there be a different aspect in those cases?
Like will Growlithe get the mega form instead of arcanine or maybe both?

Prepare to die.

[If you ever want to hear my ideas, just ask~
Actually, looking for help with some of them...]
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:38 PM).

I think we found the Rock type Gym Leader...since she deals with the Mega Stones and Mega Evolution, I think she'll be some kinda Rock type Gym Leader. Seems appropriate as some Rock Gym leaders and even ground types are seen as stone investigators or dealing with a mine/quarry.

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecr0wFixatioN
I just hope there's more to it than "Give it this stone". If each mon with a mega-evo has its own stone (like Torchic, and the blaziken-knight) I wouldn't mind only if they made the items really hard to obtain, but it just seems too easy.
Not wearin glasses.I wanna look awesome.
Gold Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I'm gonna ignore the Mega forms in this thread and focus on the new Pokemon.

Dedenne is like Raichu meets Hamtaro, it's so cute! It looks like we have this generation's Pikachu clone.

Horubii is kind of ugly, but it's not bad, but maybe it's a dust bunny. Gogoat's pre- evo is cute though I like it a lot.

paired to hikamaru
Gold Supporter

tumblr| instagram| twitter
Old August 8th, 2013 (08:39 PM).
Fictional Writer.

Nature: Quiet
I would like to post this here as Xander did in the "Mega Pokemon..." thread.

Quote:
Following yesterdays reveal of the new Pokémon, and the Mega Evolutions, some clear images have surfaced which showcase some of these Pokémon in battle. It also provides a few further bits of information. First, Pokémon can only Mega Evolve when they are holding a Mega Stone. It's not yet known whether the Mega Stone is one specific item, or a separate one such as the Blazikenite that the event Torchic holds. It also confirms that Mega Evolutions are temporary in battle.
It confirms that not all Pokémon will have Mega Evolutions. The Master Tower has a connection to Mega Evolutions
It also confirms stat increases, stating that MegaLucario's Attack is higher. MegaAbsol has increased Attack & Speed. Finally, it also confirms that Super Training will increase Pokémon's "Kiso" Points. The translation of it indicates that this may be what we call EVs
05:33: Next month's CoroCoro to feature new Pokémon, new Mega Evolutions and type chart featuring the Fairy-type
The Megas are only forms and do not actually count as new pokemon.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links