Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 15th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Austin1395
Dark-type Trainer

Nature: Serious

Advertise here
I already love all of the new Pokemon. I'll admit, some of them had to grow on me, like Chespin and Froakie. But I love all of them now. Talonflame looks awesome, Pancham is adorable, and Litleo and Flabébé I'm absolutely in love with. I didn't get the types I wanted but I love these Pokemon so far!
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Airhead
Banned

Nature: Quirky
I agree with you! I think the names are drifting back into the start of Pokemon. I am not sure I like the designs, though. A little... kiddy? I mean, sure, all Pokemon games appeal to kids but... this is going a little too... kiddy.
Old June 15th, 2013, 08:35 PM
shubham2207
Metallurgy Master (Excadrill)

Nature: Naughty
Talonflame = tail on flame. :-P its a fire type so it sounds plausible this way..
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:24 PM
zdude18
Lone Wolf

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham2207 View Post
Talonflame = tail on flame. :-P its a fire type so it sounds plausible this way..
its supposed to be talon like the talons of a bird. i liked that one guys insight that Talonflame might be a placeholder name and that its actually Flarrow, that sounds freaking sick. as far as the other ones go i think theyre fine, i just hope they dont get lazy with the rest.
"No need to worry!" -- Dawn
SoulSilver: 4256 2377 0912
Platinum: 3483 1978 7658
White 2: 3397 3474 0556
Old June 22nd, 2013, 09:52 PM
Hikamaru
I have not had my teeth whitened!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliCliW View Post
Like most people I'm not really gone on the Talonflame thing, it just ruins the Awesome design! But for what I don't like there's nicknames so I'm not really too fussed... Heck, I can already see myself calling Litleo Squall or Leon!

Love love LOVE Vivillon, even though I'm going to pronounce it wrong all the time out of choice!

Helioptile, I'm not really a fan of either. I don't know why, it just really bothers me. Either way I don't think he'll be on my team so it shouldn't have to worry too much about it!

With reference to the GenV names, sure Nintendo/GF dubbers had a few Brainfarts creating the names, but imho there's still a pretty awesome few names there. Haxorus, Heidreigon, Braviary, Unfeazant, and Samurott to name some.
I basically agree with this lady here. I liked the names of most of these new Pokemon, especially Spewpa, Vivillon, Pancham, Skrelp, Clauncher and Noivern. The starters all have good names too (I do love the ring Chespin has, and Froakie's is cute too) and while some Pokemon names are basic hybrids of certain words (Fennekin = Fennec fox + Kindle for example) I do like some of the origins with them.

I did love most of the 5th Gen Pokemon's names, a lot of them were really creative, like Elgyem and Beheeyem being pronounced like "LGM" and "BEM" and the Deino line all having names based on German names for one, two and three, representing how many heads each member of the line had. And most of the Legendaries had pretty cool names as well.
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Splintey
Banned

I cant pronounce the legendarie's names
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:49 PM
pedrito3_poke
Banana

Well, this might help:
3DS Friend Code: 4957-3299-5204 (IGN: Pedro)
Friend Safari: Dedenne Stunfisk Zebstrika
Shiny Value: 2828
Feel free to add me!
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:50 AM
WishCookie
ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!

Nature: Jolly
I love all of the new pokemon name so far. I still have a hard time trying to make the names Talonflame and Froakie grow for me but I still hope that Talonflame is a placeholder for Flarrow. It doesn't mean I dislike the Pokemon tho which I'm not.

I absolutely love Vivillon, Sylveon, Helioptile, Noivern, Cluncher and Skelp tho! Awesome names

Diamond: 3782 4821 8857
HeartGold: 3740 9024 2026
Black: 3181 8256 6904
Black 2: 4599 8904 2318

Y: 1993 8202 9620
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishCookie View Post
I love all of the new pokemon name so far. I still have a hard time trying to make the names Talonflame and Froakie grow for me but I still hope that Talonflame is a placeholder for Flarrow. It doesn't mean I dislike the Pokemon tho which I'm not.

I absolutely love Vivillon, Sylveon, Helioptile, Noivern, Cluncher and Skelp tho! Awesome names
At this point there are no placeholder names. If the name is up on the official site, its its official name.
Old June 25th, 2013, 01:13 PM
WishCookie
ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
At this point there are no placeholder names. If the name is up on the official site, its its official name.
Like I said before, I hope it is a placeholder for some reason

Diamond: 3782 4821 8857
HeartGold: 3740 9024 2026
Black: 3181 8256 6904
Black 2: 4599 8904 2318

Y: 1993 8202 9620
Old June 26th, 2013, 04:00 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
I think that the names so far are pretty good (they should sound a bit mysterious, or catchy) like 'Sylveon' and 'Fennekin'. They seem realistic and creative, and official more than anything. I don't have a problem with Talonflame but it really detracts the 'Pokémonish' effect. It makes it sound like a type of flame, rather than a living creature. But I suppose the name sounds cool enough. But Xerneas and Yveltal are the best names ever created; I love them <3
~
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:53 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
thank god they're taking 10 months to have the concept of a new generation to grow on me.

That way, I can get all the hate out then and enjoy the game for what it is. Because Gen 5 kinda got ruined because I found out about it the day before I got it or something like that.

Although that was probably my fault. but anyways the point is I love all of them!!!!!asdf
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old June 26th, 2013, 06:38 PM
ballin'Blissey

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to ballin'Blissey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowpointQuincy View Post
Talonflame's Japanese name is listed as Flarrow on Serebii. That looks more like a pokemon name. Maybe Talonflame was a developed placeholder like "Skull Kraken" was for Gyrados.
Hmm, I never knew that actually. Gyarados was always a beast anyways. I always wondered how something so useless (Magikarp) could grow into such a beast, and in Feebas' case how something so ugly could become so beautiful. Hopefully, likewise, Froakie will evolve into something charming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
Well we have confirmation about the other names of the new Pokémon.

Kofukimushi will be known as Scatterbug.
Kofuurai will be Spewpa which we already knew.
Shishiko will be known as Litleo, Little Leo.
Lastly, Furabebe will be called Flabébé.

Again, all pretty simple and easy to remember. My favorite has to be Flabébé though. That's so cute!
Flabébé is actually great! I've never had a problem with the names though, I just kinda accepted them and thought they were mostly creative. Alomomola was ridiculous though.
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:18 PM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

No, I don't really think so. The names are strange and they always will be in my opinion. I like of the names though, a lot of them are unique. My favorite is fennekin the water froggy!
Old July 30th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I don't really mind about the Pokemon names. Initially, the starter names were less than impressive, but over time, I've grown to them. It's really the same with any other Pokemon that this generation has presented us so far. At first it can be awkward, but I've learned not to have high expectations with naming, nor does naming have any significant bearing on whether or not I like the Pokemon as a whole, so it doesn't really bother me.
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:54 AM
L0RD G3NGAR
Community Supporter

They are just names. For all I care Pokemon could have human names. I would still play it.

My Pokemon Y friend code:1521-4183-4396
In game name:Kylee
Timezone:Eastern
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:36 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

I didn't like Yveltal's name much, at first I misread it as Ylvetal (eel-ve-tal) which I thought was a nice name, but Yveltal doesn't really sound like a name to me :/
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:40 AM
BluuArrowz

If you dont like them change them... They allow you to give nick names for such a reason... Dont see why you complain.
Twitter: @MrDarkoness
Nintendo 3DS: Bluu 2148 8149 0860
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:39 PM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluuArrowz View Post
If you dont like them change them... They allow you to give nick names for such a reason... Dont see why you complain.
Erm.
I thought that was the point of this thread???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaiImNate View Post
My favorite is fennekin the water froggy!
You obviously meant Froakie, riiiiiiiiiiiiight???

Last edited by AnonygooseD; August 2nd, 2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:43 PM
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Although I don't mind most of the Pokemon names revealed so far, Talonflame just doesn't cut it for me IMO. Not only does it just sound like mesh of two unrelated words together but it's also awkward to say with the rough translation from the n sound to f sound. Other Pokemon names for example, like Voltorb, Snorlax, and even the same generation's Honedge doesn't suffer from the same problem.
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
Fletchling and Talonflame could have had more creative thought put into their names. Overall, the current names are still been than most of the gen1 names.

Does anyone know the name origin of Pangoro? Otherwise, I don't like his name much either.
Old August 10th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Jumpleet
Rise Above The Rest

Nature: Relaxed
Skrelp and Clauncher are the greatest names ever invented ever. I am thinking of naming my kids those names.

Talonflame sounds scary. Who would fight anything if all you knew about it was that it's name is "Talonflame"

Scatterbug seems a little unoriginal, but Spewpa made me laugh, and Vivillon sound epic.
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
It will take me a while to get used to the new names - I will probably be embarrassed to say a few of their names. It was the same way since 1st gen, and every generation after that where Pokemon got introduced I didn't like the names at first, after a while it was no problem.

Talonflame, Skrelp, Scatterbug, & Helioptile. I didn't really like their English names, in a way I wasn't expecting them that way. I wish it was much closer to its Japanese names.

[Not sure if off-topic, so I'll leave it in a spoiler tag - about my accent]
Spoiler:
Typical, I'm going to struggle with the names. I'm a Spanish speaker (my accent is the Mexican Spanish, because of my family being from Mexico, and me from California) I already struggle enough with the English pronunciations. Read a few replies back some Pokemon are supposed to sound easier with the French accent - going to struggle with that as well. I find it easier with the Japanese names. I just wished that Latin American dub changed certain Pokemon names to make them easier for Spanish speakers, like the French, German, and Korean did.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenges - sorry for no updates, been reorganizing my room
Random Challenge - Badges: 6/8 - game: X - Location: Route 15
Random Challenge - Badges: 2/8 - game: Y - Location: Geosenge Town
50/50 Challenge - Badges 4/8 - Game Y - Location: Lumiose City
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:17 AM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Fletchling and Talonflame could have had more creative thought put into their names. Overall, the current names are still been than most of the gen1 names.

Does anyone know the name origin of Pangoro? Otherwise, I don't like his name much either.
It's Panda and Goro, Goro is Japanese Onomatopoeia for "Rolling" (Hence why Gorons in Zelda are called Gorons, cause they roll)
What Pangoro has to do with rolling, I have no clue.

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Azure Rathalδs
WOOP WOOP WOOP
Community Supporter

I like the names so far actually, especially Xerneas and Yvetal. The names are very good when you compare them to such classics as Seel, Muk and Roggenrola.

| TuMbLr [X] | ReViEwBlOg [X] |
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here