Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page Field Moves and HMs

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Old July 23rd, 2013 (11:31 AM).
Xander Olivieri

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
So in the last video we were shown 2 things that haven been staples in the games since Generation 1. Field Moves (attacks which have effects upon the overworld) and HMs. Pokemon X and Y have shown us two Field Moves that are returning to the games leaving us to question if others are to follow.

Cut, Surf, Fly, Strength, Waterfall, Rocksmash, Flash, Dig, Teleport, Softboiled, Whirlpool, Headbutt, Sweetscent, Milk Drink, Dive, Secret Power, Defog, Rock Climb, and Chatter are the only known Field Moves so far.

There is the possibility of a new one being added in this generation, but which ones do you think will stay as Field Moves?

What new Field Moves would you like to see?
Old July 23rd, 2013 (11:53 AM).
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
My predictions are that Dig and Rock Climb would be returning to the games as HMs. There may be obstacles such as for example thin walls which can easily be be cut through by Dig (or Rock Smash). Rock Climb may be useful for climbing flat, vertical ledges (Works just like Waterfall without the water).

If there is a possibility of a new HM move coming up I'd guess it would be Float (A status move which works like Magnet-Rise). Float in adventure mode would glide the player gently down sheer drops.
Old July 23rd, 2013 (12:23 PM).
Voliol

Ride! Either a field move that only a few Pokémon like Rapidash, Gogoat and Rhyhorn can learn or a HM that a lot of more Pokémon can learn but is not neccesary to complete the game.

- Mewtwo
Old July 23rd, 2013 (01:06 PM).
Zylas
Dat Trains Kid

Nature: Docile
Well, of course, the basic cut, surf, fly, and maybe strength are returning, but I'm not so sure about the others.

|Black 2 FC| Best Song EVER|
|Platinum FC| Mah KI:U Neoseeker|
|Old Profile|VM|PM|Credit|

For an innovative, innocent, young boy once said, "I like trains."
Old July 23rd, 2013 (01:11 PM).
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
I think Ride will be an innate ability of a pokemon, similar to how pokemon could walk with you in HGSS but optional. The fact that they've been decreasing the amount of required HM moves, and that it's hard to imagine what Ride would do in-battle, are some reasons why. I could only imagine Ride being some sort of Helping Hand, if it was an actual battle move.

I think the HM moves will be similar to Black/White. They already experimented in 4th gen with having very many HMs, so I think they figured that they prefer the old formula better. Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength, Waterfall...

As for field moves that aren't required, I think the list can only grow.
Old July 23rd, 2013 (04:28 PM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by Shrew:
I think Ride will be an innate ability of a pokemon, similar to how pokemon could walk with you in HGSS but optional. The fact that they've been decreasing the amount of required HM moves, and that it's hard to imagine what Ride would do in-battle, are some reasons why. I could only imagine Ride being some sort of Helping Hand, if it was an actual battle move.

I think the HM moves will be similar to Black/White. They already experimented in 4th gen with having very many HMs, so I think they figured that they prefer the old formula better. Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength, Waterfall...

Uh Hoenn had the same number as Sinnoh (so the experimentation begun in 3 and continued) so they may have 8 for another generation. I felt Unova had too few but it made sense as we barely used them...they were just there...
Old July 24th, 2013 (05:32 AM).
Voliol

Quote originally posted by Shrew:

Well, Rock Climb, Fly and Surf are also strange moves. Maybe it would work like a stronger Quick Attack.
Old July 24th, 2013 (12:09 PM).
Rayquaza 97
Draco Meteor.

Nature: Modest
I really hope that defog isn't included, due to the fact that it was so useless and it felt stupid using it as I didn't really need it to see anyway. Rant over lol.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 24th, 2013 (02:31 PM).
The Dark Avenger
Vengeance is Vine

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to The Dark Avenger
Quote originally posted by Voliol:
Ride! Either a field move that only a few Pokémon like Rapidash, Gogoat and Rhyhorn can learn or a HM that a lot of more Pokémon can learn but is not neccesary to complete the game.
I was also thinking this, except maybe "Trample" or "Stampede" would be more fitting for an actual battle move.

Artwork by Fairy+
Old July 24th, 2013 (03:25 PM).
zoroarkrules25

It appears dive is back, but i also see a riding themed move.
Old July 24th, 2013 (04:29 PM).
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
Zoroark, is this what you're referring to? It could be a dive zone, or perhaps this is there new way of showing the boundaries of water, as opposed to rocks. But yeah, I think Dive is very likely.

I did not know that Hoenn had 8 HMs. With that said, I enjoy having a lot of HMs, too.

If Ride is to be an offensive move, then a name like Stampede would make for a better name.
Old July 24th, 2013 (04:32 PM).
Xander Olivieri

Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
That buoy signifies that it may very well be a new boundary marker.
Old July 24th, 2013 (08:12 PM).
Hikamaru
modern life is rubbish
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by XanderO:
That buoy signifies that it may very well be a new boundary marker.
^ Basically what he said. Most sea routes tend to have something like that such as the rocks.

I'd definitely see Fly and Surf returning as HMs, Surf has probably been confirmed already but Fly is handy because flying around is more convenient than walking in some circumstances. What I am hoping to see is less obstacles and therefore less need to use HMs like in 5th Gen.
Old August 11th, 2013 (11:20 AM).
Calem
Water Pokemon Master

Nature: Bold
I just hope that they make the HM a little bit Stronger than before and maybe a HM that can Sharply lower the opponent stats or Sharply increase the user stat.

Old August 11th, 2013 (02:21 PM). Edited August 11th, 2013 by ballin'Blissey.
ballin'Blissey

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to ballin'Blissey
Quote originally posted by Voliol:
How can you ride on Rapidash when its back is covered with flames haha?

I don't think riding would be an HM unless Nintendo shocks us by having your actual partner pokémon in battle hop on another one but that's still unlikely as a Snorlax on a Gigafarig ... poor Gigafarig.

They could just make a whole new idea called "field abilities" in addition to a pokémon's battle ability that can only be used outside battle. Some can ride on water, get you past whirlpools (like clampearl from HG/SS), dig underground, ride, etc. and just make the HMs like Surf and Waterfall regular attack moves.
Old August 11th, 2013 (03:08 PM).
MarinoKadame

Quote originally posted by ballin'Blissey:
How can you ride on Rapidash when its back is covered with flames haha?

I don't think riding would be an HM unless Nintendo shocks us by having your actual partner pokémon in battle hop on another one but that's still unlikely as a Snorlax on a Gigafarig ... poor Gigafarig.

They could just make a whole new idea called "field abilities" in addition to a pokémon's battle ability that can only be used outside battle. Some can ride on water, get you past whirlpools (like clampearl from HG/SS), dig underground, ride, etc. and just make the HMs like Surf and Waterfall regular attack moves.
Rapidash will not burn the people it trust, even in a Pokemon episode and I think the only one with Rapidash in it the girl is on Rapidash back and Ash try to touch it and get burned.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old August 12th, 2013 (09:58 AM).
Jumpleet
Rise Above The Rest

Nature: Relaxed
I'd live for cut to be a more useful move, like maybe increase the power and make it a different type.
Old August 12th, 2013 (10:17 AM).
*Icecold*
Bow down to Queen Meowstic

Rock Smash is most likely not coming back. Generation 5 actually did something right and turned it into a normal TM.

I think Waterfall and Whirlpool are illogical. Waterfall means you create a waterfall and Whirlpool creates a whirlpool. There's a different between being able to swim up/completely avoid and creating it yourself... So they shouldn't return either.

Cut, Strength, Fly and Surf and literally required. However, I would rather have key items that cut and move rocks instead of having to waste a slot of your Pokemon's moveset for a weak, basic move instead of something worthwhile.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links