The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Trade Corner

Notices

Trade Corner Having trouble completing your Pokédex? Looking for a certain Pokémon or have a rare one to offer? This is your forum. Everything related to wireless trades can be discussed here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Kitori
[ ICE QUEEN ]
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
I'm really picky about my nicknames... but I usually only trade for breeders anyway. If I were trading for a pokemon I wanted to use competitively or in my game I would request a nickname that I liked.

Let the storm rage on....
The cold never bothered me anyway.

[ TRADE THREAD | FRIEND CODE | TWITTER | CHALLENGE | PAIR♥]

Old April 18th, 2013, 02:08 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I like nicknamed Pokemon as long as the nicknames are good or clever, or I personally nicknamed them. It gives them so much more personality and makes the game that more fun to me.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old April 21st, 2013, 07:06 PM
Necrum
The most dapper evil genius

Nature: Adamant
I don't mind when other people nickname Pokemon, but I don't generally. What does bother me is when people nn legendary Pokemon. I mean, they already have a name! It's not like other Pokemon where there are supposed to be tons of them, and that's their species. Legendary Pokemon are legendary, they are named as individuals. Theoretically, in the continuity of the series, there is only supposed to be one of that Pokemon in existence. That's just my take on it though.
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Sir Mister
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quirky
I nickname all my pokemon- I try to be clever with the nicknames of pokemon I intend to use in the game, I try a little less hard to be clever with the nicknames of pokemon who will sit in the box, though I do still try. I nickname pokemon who I will breed for an ability after that ability, and I name pokemon I'm going to breed for a nature after said nature. If I get a traded pokemon and I actually care about its nickname or lack thereof, I'd indicate as such before hand, but unless I was trading for a breeder ditto, I just don't see myself actually caring.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 05:23 AM
MIAU
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I never traded away nicknamed Pokemon, because I only give nicknames to Pokemon in my main team and HM slaves and my false swipers and the ones I breed; basically, any Pokemon that I use in one way or another. And I actually like getting nicknamed Pokemon, as long as it's not an offensive name. Also, when I get a Japanese or Korean Pokemon, I check online if it has its species name or a nickname. I actually have a Korean (I think...) Samurott, and it seems to have a nickname and I'm really, really curious what it means. I just hope it's nothing related to butts or anything like that Magnemite I got a while ago.
Old May 30th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Cinderkittyz
Foreverflame

Nature: Naughty
I LOVE nicknaming pokemon!
But if I get one with a rude name, its getting breed and deleted, and ill just keep the baby xD
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM
Quetzal

Nature: Calm
I've taken to giving my Pokemon nicknames lately, though I didn't always. Makes me feel closer to them. To the collection of pixels in the animated monsters on my DS screen...I may need to get out more My current team's nicknames (the ones in my sig) are:

Quorra the Blaziken, named after the character from Tron: Legacy.
Mistral the Jolteon, named after the .Hack character.
Rumor the Froslass, named after a character from a .Hack novel.
Nausicaa the Milotic, named after the Studio Ghibli character.
Elnara the Sawsbuck, slightly inspired by Inara the Firefly character.
Tiamat the Hydreigon, named after the multi-headed dragon god in DnD.

As for other peoples nicknames? I like them. It shows a little of who the previous owner was, even if it's something rude or in a language I don't understand.
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:34 PM
S7Kid

I'm probably just gonna breed it myself so I don't really care. I don't trade for Legendaries since I don't actually use them in battles. Though If I actually wanted it (Like Entei, Mew, Mewtwo or Lugia) because I like them, I guess I wouldn't mind.
As for mine, I don't nickname them at all. I prefer them having their actual name.
Old August 7th, 2013, 04:22 PM
ChipmunkGamingInc.
Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.

Nature: Lonely
The only time I don't nickname a Pokemon is when I trade them to Japanese people who probably have no idea what it says.

*~Maelstrom~*

Join the Poké Dance Party! Gen II at it's best!
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Fiery Dash

Only some of my Pokemon gets nicknamed,
These are some of those Pokemon that gets named: Roserade, Roserade and Roserade.
Rosaura, Rosie and Rosetta respectively, so unoriginal isn't it?

Last edited by Fiery Dash; August 14th, 2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:41 PM
atomtanned

I name all of my Pokemon, actually. I just feel like it makes the game a little more personal, you know?

I actually still remember the nickname I gave my very first Pokemon ever... when I played Pokemon Blue when I was a kid, I named my Charmander Matches. Since then, I always name any Charmander evolution line I get with that nickname, for nostalgia's sake.

Friend Codes
X: Serena {2638-0348-2480}
Y: Allyson {2638-0348-2480}
HeartGold: Lyra {3526-6386-3822}

Challenges:
Pokemon Y Wonderlocke

tumblr || backlog

Old August 12th, 2013, 04:55 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

I don't nickname my Pokemon. It really ticks me off when I get an event/legendary/etc. Pokemon via trade that's nicknamed and they didn't tell me. I have a Deoxys on White version, but I never use it solely because I really dislike its nickname.

I did nickname my Larvitar, but I seriously nicknamed it "Larvitar" (so it wouldn't say "LARVITAR"). I don't plan on evolving her, considering I only have used her for contests.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Usually I don't nickname pokemon, unless I'm carrying a 4th gen 'mon over to 5th, for consistency's sake. However there are couple I do nickname just because I like them as Pokemon, though I'll name it back if I'm trading.

Old August 12th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Shizzable
The Derpiest One Of All

Nature: Jolly
I'm really picky about having good nicknames, so when I see one I don't like I'm just like "NUU! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?"
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Mackenzie
Say Somethin'!

Nature: Careful
As Slenderman already pointed out, the only ever use i had for nicknames was with the advent of gen 5; it made using "STARMIE" obsolete, because an uncapped nickname "Starmie" that would be migrated seemed more fitting for this gen (i believe, it was a very effective solution to address legendaries that would otherwise remain with the horrendous all capped names; barring un-abused gen 4 wifi events).

I do admit I've had fun playing with nicknamed pokemon for the sole purpose of participating in the gen 3 contests, (because all my opponents had them as well anyway :p); and if only gen 2 had a remake on gba, it would seem better to use the in-game traded pokemon as well for those gen 3 contests. But that was it, i didn't transfer those nicknamed pokemon; i didn't find the gen 4 super contests to be as appealing. :/

chat
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Altair
Incognito

Nature: Brave
I don't mind nicknames as long as it isn't rude or offensive... I bought a used copy of Ruby the other week, all the Pokemon on this players team had really inappropriate nicknames! ;P
I only nickname Pokemon I use in competitive battling. I plan to use a Granbull called 'Canterbury' ...
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:28 AM
ilias_
I completed the Pokédex!

I don't like nicknames. I don't give nicknames to my Pokemon and if I trade with someone and the Pokemon has a nickname I will breed it and release it lol

Friend Safari:
Type: Fire.
Pokémon: Slugma, Magmar & Braixen.
Old August 24th, 2013, 04:01 AM
«Chuckles»
First of all, I'm not a "total psycho"

Nature: Brave
Hate nicknames that I don't give them, I always name my Pokemon after cool genie/demon names like: Djinn, Azazel and sometimes after the 7 deadly sins like gluttony is a snorlax and lust is a gardevoir

PairTumblrAnime ListFriend Code
Old August 28th, 2013, 10:23 AM
atomtanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer_Altair View Post
I don't mind nicknames as long as it isn't rude or offensive... I bought a used copy of Ruby the other week, all the Pokemon on this players team had really inappropriate nicknames! ;P
That actually happened to me when I bought a used copy of Ruby as well, weird! I felt bad for them because I'm a nerd, and I actually took them to the Name Rater to change them.

Friend Codes
X: Serena {2638-0348-2480}
Y: Allyson {2638-0348-2480}
HeartGold: Lyra {3526-6386-3822}

Challenges:
Pokemon Y Wonderlocke

tumblr || backlog

Old August 29th, 2013, 04:33 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Someone traded me a Mewtwo that is called TheRapist. I really hate that Mewtwo, lol....
Old August 29th, 2013, 05:25 PM
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Nature: Quirky
I don't like nicknames myself the only poke I NN is my starter cause he is always with me and his name is always "Babe" no matter which starter I choose.
My Thread Review ---> HERE
Old August 31st, 2013, 04:30 PM
yeahhhboiii

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama-Mamo View Post
MRS. PUFF. HAHAHAHA YES. THAT'S FANTASTIC.
I like it too haha. I often give Spongebob nicknames, i.e. Mr. Krabs for Kingler, Patrick for Staryu, Sandy for Pachirisu, and Pearl for my Wailord XD

I love nicknaming my Pokes! I give them funny or goofy nicknames, and sometimes with references to pop culture, some of my favorite original nicknames are:
Snoop Frog the Politoed
Pearl the Wailord
Off! the Charizard (it's Bug repellant lol)
Doppelle the Misdreavus
and my favorite, Trinidad the Hitmonchan (PM me if you understand this and i'll give you a cookie)

Last edited by yeahhhboiii; August 31st, 2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 8th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Seifonor

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Seifonor
I don't mind the nicknames as long as it fits the pokémon and isn't just a stupid name. Otherwise I barely nickname my pokémon unless I get a boost of imagination (namind bisharp Dark Link and Emboar Ganon )

3DS Friend Code = 2423-2660-2807
Old September 10th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Juxapose

Nature: Jolly
I always take traded Pokemon to breed, then trade it away to Yancy. Let her deal with them.
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:20 AM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
I Nickname all the pokemon I breed to keep track of them. The ones I EV train get upgraded nicknames and a Star mark on the PC.

Pig Mama, female Emboar
Hogfather, male Mamoswine

Sponsored Links