The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:31 PM
zingzags
Creator or Pokemon Serenity

Nature: Adamant

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxysoft View Post
Move the pokecenter up by one tile.
You are just in every forum I go!
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old August 11th, 2013, 12:42 AM
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
Achievement Get: First map!

Ok, that was a lie. This isn't my first. But it IS the first one that isn't the worst thing ever! This isn't for a game, I just wanted practice on my mapping. so, critiques? Be as harsh as needed!

Spoiler:

The house on the hill is the Player's house, Red roof is main rival and Green roof is someone else's house. Either a useless NPC or a second rival.
Make the Lab one tile less wide, so it is the original size, move the left wall of the mountains one tile to the right. Fill up the gap that is left to the left with trees, all the way to the bottom, so the border is 6 tiles wide.

Move all the houses so that the paths leading to them can all be 3 tiles wide. Don't mix path sizes.

Fill up the gap behind the Rival house with trees. Don't leave empty space behind houses. It looks terrible.

And also: Like the others said. Move the PC so it doesnt stand ON the path. Make a little outsticking part from the road, only 1x3 tiles big that leads into the PC.

Like this: (The X's are the path, and the O's the PC)

OOIOIOO
__XXX__
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX

You might want to use normal treemapping aswell. The style you are using now, where you have them aligned diagonally, is very advanced and can be very hard to get to look good. Since you say you're pretty new at mapping, I recommend using the normal style, with straight rows and lines, instead.

Last edited by tImE; August 11th, 2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old August 11th, 2013, 07:13 AM
lauerolus

Route 1 updated, with Mom's Berry Farm

Spoiler:

Last edited by lauerolus; August 11th, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old August 11th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauerolus View Post
Route 1 updated, with Mom's Berry Farm

Spoiler:
Excluding the tile errors, it's a pretty good map... Good idea with the berry farm, but on Route 01 seems weird... I dunno, could fit I suppose... What's the random bird house thing for?! ;)
Pretty straightforward, Pokémon are low level at this point (I assume), so few grassy patches, nice touch, but, probably should add some unavoidable patches, on the way to next town/area, but avoidable by jumping ledges on the way back.
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:08 AM
lauerolus

Your Mom runs the berry farm for Oak, as he likes fresh natural berries and foodstuff for the pokemon on his reserve. So it's close by.

The birdhouse?
Spoiler:
Victini in an event I'm thinking
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM
joeyhugg

I updated the town based on critiques. Unfortunately, the varying path sizes are a problem if I want to keep the same map size. So, other than that, anything else?

Old August 11th, 2013, 11:43 AM
tImE

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
I updated the town based on critiques. Unfortunately, the varying path sizes are a problem if I want to keep the same map size. So, other than that, anything else?

There's no problem to make the path the right size? =S

Here, I tried remaking your map with the same size, using almost exactly same layout.
In this map, I filled out the trees behind the red house, repositioned the lab and PC to fit better and used more flowers to fill out emptiness.

And like I said, when mapping as a beginner, use the normal tree-style it works a lot better and looks better too, in most cases.

Old August 11th, 2013, 12:15 PM
lauerolus

Wow time, you made that seem effortless... Although a cave in the first town would be pretty cool joey.

Rough Viridian City
Spoiler:
Old August 11th, 2013, 12:22 PM
joeyhugg

Wow. A major improvement from mine. Thanks!
Old August 11th, 2013, 12:52 PM
tImE

Just try to study what I did differently from you, and try to apply it in the next map you make.

Try to really work with the layers. Place the roads beneath the roofs of buildings, and you can fit them a lot better.

It's all about depth.
Try to make the game look 3d without it actually being 3d. Place trees beneath the roof of the house so it looks like it's really close to the building, instead of just placing the tree behind the roof.
It can make a LOT of difference.
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Harvey_Create
Tried out a different Mapping style. Do you like?

Spoiler:

Old August 16th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey_Create View Post
Tried out a different Mapping style. Do you like?

Spoiler:
The main thing bugging me is the entrance to the north, that looks like it goes into a forest of some sort? It just doesn't look natural, it's way too dark. Make it like, a dark green or somehting. Also, how do you get there? Is there a one tile path to it? Because other than the thin path a tile north of the cliff, it doesn't look accessible.

The rest of it looks fine, NPCs may help it look more alive. I like the depth it has with the cliff tiles and such.

EDIT: I suppose it could be an exit, and be like, a secret area you get from a different entrance? That's probably what it is. If so, very intriguing.
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
The main thing bugging me is the entrance to the north, that looks like it goes into a forest of some sort? It just doesn't look natural, it's way too dark. Make it like, a dark green or somehting. Also, how do you get there? Is there a one tile path to it? Because other than the thin path a tile north of the cliff, it doesn't look accessible.

The rest of it looks fine, NPCs may help it look more alive. I like the depth it has with the cliff tiles and such.

EDIT: I suppose it could be an exit, and be like, a secret area you get from a different entrance? That's probably what it is. If so, very intriguing.
:L I actually just realized I forgot stairs. And I dont like the idea of forests, but I wanted 3 different Entries, so yea. As for the Shadow for the foresxt, It needs a TON of tweaking. But, once again, probably not happening. I think I need to sit down and actually sprite some decoration and stuff for routes. I am literally using grass, Mountain, Tree, Tall grass and flowers.

Old August 17th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Loving the map, Harvey. However, the small trees you used to fill up space look unnatural and ugly, imo.
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elarmasecreta View Post
Loving the map, Harvey. However, the small trees you used to fill up space look unnatural and ugly, imo.
Yea, I wasnt really likeing them after showing the Screenshot. I use them less frequently on my InGame maps.

Old August 17th, 2013, 06:12 PM
jim42

I have to make a point that, when using vertical cliffs like that, that north-facing and south-facing stairs need to be longer. Pythagoras and all. See how the east- and west-facing stairs have height and length? Same thing. Given those cliffs are two tiles high, the north-facing stairs should probably extend to fill a whole tile in length while the south-facing stairs should be three tiles long.
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim42 View Post
I have to make a point that, when using vertical cliffs like that, that north-facing and south-facing stairs need to be longer. Pythagoras and all. See how the east- and west-facing stairs have height and length? Same thing. Given those cliffs are two tiles high, the north-facing stairs should probably extend to fill a whole tile in length while the south-facing stairs should be three tiles long.
Another reason why I stick with gen 3 tiles. XD
Old August 18th, 2013, 03:09 AM
ppooookkkkkkk
Banned

Nature: Gentle
Hey just finished some indoor map here:

Opinions appreciated.
Old August 18th, 2013, 04:10 AM
SinfulGuroRose
Ignore me, I'm socially inept.

Nature: Bashful
Could I get some critique on the home town? Hit me as hard as you can. (Also, is the grass too bright, or is that just me?)
And while I'm here, may I ask if anyone knows a way to make the view so you can't see off the edge of the map when you approach it? It takes 8 tiles on each side to keep the edges away from the camera, but that takes up a lot of space. ; v;

@ppooookkkkkkk:
If you don't mind my saying, the style of the beds, TV, and... whatever that red/brown thing is in the upper right room don't really match the styles of the other furniture. And there's some kind of blue pixely thingy in the middle room? It appears to be attached to the plant tile.
Attached Thumbnails
pe6.PNG‎  

Old August 18th, 2013, 05:10 AM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

Nature: Quiet
I'm back, and ready for more criticism.

Route X5 from Neo Destiny. Still not sure how I'm feeling about the general layout of this Route. The southern exit leads to Route X3, the northern gate-exit leads to a forest, the eastern exit leads to a city.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Route X5 V1.png
Views:	42
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	69323
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmarkXalanX View Post

Route X5 from Neo Destiny. Still not sure how I'm feeling about the general layout of this Route. The southern exit leads to Route X3, the northern gate-exit leads to a forest, the eastern exit leads to a city.

Attachment 69323
I like where you're going with this, but it needs some work - it just looks sort of box-like (even the lake does, but its not so bad, as it is a lake, you can fix probably both problems by making it more rounded)

on the path towards the lake, you have those random trees all lined up, they sort of dont match the rest of the map(in any of their places) however, there they are being poorly used, anyone seeing it knows why they are there, and it's only for that sole purpose, instead it would look better if you had the trees in a zig-zag line like so:

-TT-
--TT
-TT-
--TT

you may want to reduce the amount of cluttered flowers - other than that is a pretty cool map

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulGuroRose View Post
Could I get some critique on the home town? Hit me as hard as you can. (Also, is the grass too bright, or is that just me?)
And while I'm here, may I ask if anyone knows a way to make the view so you can't see off the edge of the map when you approach it? It takes 8 tiles on each side to keep the edges away from the camera, but that takes up a lot of space. ; v;
It seems pretty empty - while there isnt a lot going on in a starting town, it looks lifeless and boring
the pond makes no sense to be there so small and oddly placed - maybe if it was in the corner, and extended to the ends of the map curving from the left down to the bottom, it would look cool, and you could block off some stuff with rocks

there is a huge pile of light grass path with nothing there, its almost done for no reason and looks weird like that, not to mention there is a tiny patch under the professors lab - move the lab up a few tiles, and connect the paths together (I assume thats why you didnt) and it should look fine

finally, just add some decorations, maybe a fence too and make it look lively

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Last edited by Saving Raven; August 18th, 2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:09 AM
pkmn.master
Hobbyist Game Developer

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmarkXalanX View Post

Attachment 69323

Your maps are slowly starting to improve!

I'd like to say, on top of Saving Raven's suggestions, that you still leave some open space. The area around the lake is a large open space. Spruce it up with a tree or two, or even a ledge. You also don't have to have your entrances and exits to the map so wide. Try to close them off some more with trees. Also, try and spread your flowers out some more. Flowers are great to use since they fill voids, just try and keep them spaced some. Finally, perhaps you should place a little piece of land in the center of your lake and put a hidden item or even a Pokémon there so that the player would find something when he/she surfs it. Lakes need a purpose most of the time, and it is usually to block off a path that requires surf to pass, or to hide item or cave. You usually want to give the player reason to explore it.
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:59 AM
carmaniac
Where the pickle surprise at?

Testing out a different mapping style. No idea if I like it.

Pokémon: Lost Souls.

Developed by Carmaniac.
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmaniac View Post
Testing out a different mapping style. No idea if I like it.
it really depends on how it's used, if its late in the game, or even half way into the game it seems pretty boring, there isnt much to do at all, and you would easily get through within a minute or 2, if its one of the first few routes though it's pretty good

everything is laid out very nicely and looks good, except at the bottom left near the sign, the mountain looks really weird jutting out in such a way, maybe if you remove the tiny tree and extend it 1 or maybe even 2 tiles it would look better

overall its a good test, I like how hilly it is, but it feels kind of tight

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old August 18th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elarmasecreta View Post
Another reason why I stick with gen 3 tiles. XD
I hate Gen 3 tiles. Over used and boring. I have been trying to make my own tiles for my game. So it was morte original. As for the stairs Jim42, Ill see what I can do. I thought the ones leading up to the north were good, but I cant seem to get the Going down ones right(A bit harder to sprite)

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here