• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[Discussion] RMXP Player for Android

Flameguru

Pokemon: Metallic Silver
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2024
A few days ago I came across an RMXP Player for Android and I didn't want to post about it until I had a chance to try it out. Well, it seems to work just fine for the most part. Some of the games based on Pokemon Essentials do not work such as Raptor EX for reasons unknown, but I'm sure things will be fixed eventually. I tried vanilla Essentials with no script edits besides a control scheme edit (the player doesn't seem to support the Enter Key) and it loaded up fine.

This is obviously a huge breakthrough and just another huge reason to use RMXP over any other language/game maker (such as VX/Ace) while developing games (especially Pokemon). This also indirectly allows games to be run on other platforms besides just Windows, as you can emulate Android on many devices. Emulating Android is far lighter than installing a Windows VM just for RMXP.

I have personally tested on a Nexus 4, Ouya, and Bluestacks (Windows). Your results may vary, but its interesting nonetheless.

You can download the Player from the Google Play Store and just follow the instructions to get it working. Here is a link: Neko RPGXP Player

I'm not sure how he wrote this and legality status but I've already contacted him to see if he would allow me to see the source or at least make a few edits to make hardware controls work and some other things to make it perfect for Essentials based games.

On a side note there is also a full speed DS emulator released for Android as well a few weeks ago called DraStic. It costs $7.99 on the Play store but is well worth it. Its a great time to be an Android user. Sorry iOS and WP8 users.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2015
Thats really cool I gotta try it out and I think there is a RMXP player for PSP too I dont have the link and stuff you can check it on google

Tamaska

[Oblivious]
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 27, 2013
Works great on the LG35G. DraStic, on the other hand, lags out.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
Nice find!
I tried it with my own game, but sadly didn't even make it to the title screen, haha.
It certainly looks promising though!

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I tested my game also but stopped on titlescreen cant press enter.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
I am guessing the reason why its crashing is because it does not have full support of RPG MAKER and its libraries.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
THere is new version, which fix error with Input.press? so now shouyld work in essentials i will check.

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2021
This also indirectly allows games to be run on other platforms besides just Windows, as you can emulate Android on many devices. Emulating Android is far lighter than installing a Windows VM just for RMXP.

I wouldn't go that far, emulating Android is quite expensive, and RPGMakerXP Games run fine with Wine so neither a VirtualMachine nor Emulation are necessary on MacOS/Linux and possibly any other platform that is supported by Wine.
Also, I am not sure how it works for others, but the last time I did Android development -- about a year ago -- the Android emulator's performance was downright dreadful and orders of magnitude slower than even a full blown VM.
Setting up Wine properly can be tricky but certainly not much more so than setting up an Android emulator on Linux. And unlike an emulator it gives the look and feel as well as the performance of a 'native app' for the most part.

I don't really see how adding Android support specifically is a good reason to use RPGXP over other languages/game engines. It's true that essentials is still the best choice for most people, but I wouldn't use cross-platform as one of those reasons when almost every popular language/game engine under the sun support a lot more platforms natively.

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
This sounds awesome, though I have three questions;

First; I also can't get past the "press enter" screen. What did you change in the code to actually change the controls here to make it work?
Second; The screen size seems to be a bit strange, as the game only uses the upper left corner (this also happens when pressing alt+enter on a pc). Is there any known fix for this, or a way to improve this?
Third; There is a huge difference between the actual size of the Pokémon essentials folder and the size on disc. Further research has shown that all files smaller than 32kb still take up 32kb of disc space. It could just depend on my phone, yet it is something to keep in mind. Does this also happen for anyone else?

Additionally I noticed from one of my previous projects that adjusting the screen tone doesn't work (or at least not yet). It would be useful to test all functions within rmxp and essentials to know what does and doesn't work.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Tired to see if Nova Luna, and shooting star worked on it. It crashes as soon as it opens. Oh well! :(

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
Apparently there is a new version available for download, which now also supports adjusting screen tone. Additionally there should also be support for keyboard, yet I'm not sure how this works. The bad news about the new version is that it can't run Pokémon essentials any more, thus probably also no games based on essentials.

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
Like the problem of the others.
I tested out the game and stopped at the titlescreen.
But I tested out on others, seemed to work just fine.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
From what I can tell the app was made by a Korean developer, I guess someone who is fluent in Korean is able to ask him to consider PE support.

RimasLT

My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
Years
My Huawei Ascend y200 specs is not good at all ( 800 Mhz processor,graphics chip 200 mhz ) only 256 MB RAM and screen 3,5 but RPGXP Player works just fine about 47-58 FPS :)

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Anyone tried pokemon zeta with this ? it gives a black screen and it crashes
i am using an s4 mini

H.Lecter

Two-dimensional
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2015
Did anyone contact the developper and asked for PE support?

H.Lecter

Two-dimensional
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2015
I contacted the creater of Neko RPGXP Player myself. I got help from someone who translated my message to the creater of NEKO RPGXP Player Now I got an answer:

"네 안녕하세요.
잘 읽어보았습니다.
저도 요즘에 RPGXP 게임을 Google로 퍼블리싱 일을 진행하고 있어서, 도움은 드릴 수 있을 것 같습니다.
그런데 Pokemon 게임의 시장가치 자체는 좋은데, 저작권 문제 때문에 문제가 생기지 않을까 하는데요.

Roughly translating, he is working on publishing RPGXP games, and he could help you.
And he's saying it would be hard to make a financial value due to copyright issues.

He sounds like he's interested, if you can objectively state your need and expectation of his, I think you guys can work together. Let me know if you are interested"

Now I need guys with more technical knowledge to help me, so that together we can realize playing ZetaOmciron (and other Pokémon games) on Android

Years
I remember asking about a starter kit / porting a game to android. This really is breakthrough and will alow non rom hack fangames to flourish on Mobile devices making Rom hacking almost completely obsolete.

Back