The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 21st, 2013 (07:17 PM).
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Question time~

I am currently following a tutorial on adding new attacks into a Ruby ROM.
I am following Jambo's tutorial.
Things are going smoothly but, a question suddenly popped in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Now, navigate back to 0x250C04 and copy (12 * number of new attacks) worth of data. This should ensure that the new attacks you add inherit some sensible data which PGE can work with.
Since I am adding 157 new attacks, this step asks me to copy 1884 bytes of data (12 * 157).

And now my question: how can one actually know they copied 1884 bytes of data?

Do I need to...
(1)navigate to the address (e.g. 0x250C04) and just simply add 1884 to it (result would be 0x252488), and then copy the data from the address (e.g. 0x250C04) to the result (0x252488) or...

(2)do I first have to convert the address (e.g. 0x250C04) into decimal (result would be 2427908) and then add 1884 to it (result would be 2429792), and then convert back to hex (result would be 0x251360), and then copy the data from the address (e.g. 0x250C04) to the result (0x251360)?

Thankies~
Old August 21st, 2013 (08:09 PM).
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

The latter. Another way would be to convert 1884 into hex (you'd get 0x75C) and add that to x250C04. Never add decimal and hexadecimal values together without converting one of them if you want results that make any sense.

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
Old August 21st, 2013 (09:39 PM).
SpadeEdge16

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
What version exactly? I have an issue with a custom version of 1.7.2.2 where this happens. On 1.7.5.X, this is not an issue.
Where can I get 175X? I haven't been able to find it...
Old August 22nd, 2013 (05:06 AM).
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
Where can I get 175X? I haven't been able to find it...
http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachm...0&d=1292194929

That is the absolute latest version.

Paired with Simba
Old August 22nd, 2013 (12:48 PM).
zacharianinja

ok quick question. anyone know what this means?
"invalid pointer to map footer"
it appears when i try to load a map i have edited in advmap.
Old August 22nd, 2013 (12:54 PM).
TheTorraRegion

Is it possible to make pokemon follow you like in HG/SS in FireRed? Also, is it possible to put something similar to poke amie from X/Y in FireRed? (I'm thinking no, but one of us really wants to know)
Old August 22nd, 2013 (01:37 PM).
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharianinja View Post
ok quick question. anyone know what this means?
"invalid pointer to map footer"
it appears when i try to load a map i have edited in advmap.
This means that you have corrupted data. Do not use Advance map 1.95 since it's an unfinished beta and is extremely buggy. Use 1.92
Old August 22nd, 2013 (02:30 PM).
Teh Blazer
Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
Kind of a quick question for Fire Red here:

Is there a trainer battle number where even if you lose the script continues like normal? The closest I have found was the one below, but that has that whole little bit with Prof. Oak teaching you how to fight even though you've been playing the series for years now and I don't really want that.

Code:
 trainerbattle 0x9 0x(trainer number) 0x3 0x(pointers) 0x(more pointers)
Old August 22nd, 2013 (02:42 PM).
Le pug
Creator of Pokémon: Discovery
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTorraRegion View Post
Is it possible to make pokemon follow you like in HG/SS in FireRed? Also, is it possible to put something similar to poke amie from X/Y in FireRed? (I'm thinking no, but one of us really wants to know)

Mmmm.

sssshhhh.....
Le pug is talking.

I'm thinking no unless Copy Player [35] or something of the Movement Type in AdvanceMap can be implemented and even then it would look bad.

...okay le pug is done.
still sssshhhh.....

Check out some of my contributions:
• Check out my easy tile insertion tutorial, Inserting Tiles Into AdvanceMap For Dummies
Click here to find out how to remove clouds from the Emerald titlescreen
• Check out the most updated Emereld Decapitalization Patch around by clicking here
• Need help fixing a gross bug in your hack? Let me show you how by clicking here

Click here to view the PC thread of Pokémon: Discovery.
Click here to view the PC thread of Pokémon: Fat Kid.

Pokétch ROM Hacking Community Pokémon: Discovery Discovery Twitter Discovery FB IRC Chat
Old August 22nd, 2013 (03:03 PM). Edited August 22nd, 2013 by GoGoJJTech.
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Quote:
Use ASM, and you get a good result like Jambo51.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
Kind of a quick question for Fire Red here:

Is there a trainer battle number where even if you lose the script continues like normal? The closest I have found was the one below, but that has that whole little bit with Prof. Oak teaching you how to fight even though you've been playing the series for years now and I don't really want that.

Code:
 trainerbattle 0x9 0x(trainer number) 0x3 0x(pointers) 0x(more pointers)
There's a research and development thread on this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=204875
Old August 22nd, 2013 (05:53 PM).
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
I can tell you that it involves writing directly to the OAMT states. That is all Jambo51 told me.

Paired with Simba
Old August 22nd, 2013 (06:28 PM).
Jamlpr

I was wondering how I would insert a new font in to a game? Fire Red in specific. I would like to do a translation for Pashto speakers (native to Afghanistan). It's an Arabic script language with 8 more letters to the alphabet. Any idea how this would be done? Any attempt in the Advance Text Editor just gives me question marks instead of letters.

Thank you very much!
Old August 22nd, 2013 (06:33 PM).
TheTorraRegion

One more quick question: what is ASM (sorry. New. Ugh....)
Old August 22nd, 2013 (07:08 PM). Edited August 22nd, 2013 by awipe1.
awipe1

Quote:
I'm sure this can answer all your questions about ASM (except for actually doing it )
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=299696

Also I'm currently looking for a spriter for my ROM. Someone who can make OWs and possibly trainer sprites (I might make those myself). Message me if you would like to be a part of Pokemon Battle Brown!
NOTE: You wouldn't be designing your own sprites, I would be telling you what I needed, and you would make it for me ... as appealing as that sounds. I know it doesn't sound like a fun task, but if you want to be a part of this ROM, then that's what will happen. Also I would like to see some stuff you have made before I accept your offer.
Old August 22nd, 2013 (07:28 PM).
Le pug
Creator of Pokémon: Discovery
Community Supporter

I searched for this and could not find the answer.

I'm using the Pokemon Ruby rom.
I am not looking to a Safari-styled zone but merely a ONE TIME safari-styled battle

i.e. you click on a rock that is in front of an eevee and it asks if you want to use it, then you proceed to a safari-styled battle with the Throw Rock, Bait, Throw Ball options.

Anyone have any idea on if this is possible or?

Check out some of my contributions:
• Check out my easy tile insertion tutorial, Inserting Tiles Into AdvanceMap For Dummies
Click here to find out how to remove clouds from the Emerald titlescreen
• Check out the most updated Emereld Decapitalization Patch around by clicking here
• Need help fixing a gross bug in your hack? Let me show you how by clicking here

Click here to view the PC thread of Pokémon: Discovery.
Click here to view the PC thread of Pokémon: Fat Kid.

Pokétch ROM Hacking Community Pokémon: Discovery Discovery Twitter Discovery FB IRC Chat
Old August 22nd, 2013 (07:50 PM).
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
This link will help you understand what it is. :3
Old August 23rd, 2013 (05:07 AM).
TheTorraRegion

Thank you! I'll be reading those right away!
Old August 23rd, 2013 (06:52 AM).
SpadeEdge16

Quote:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachm...0&d=1292194929

That is the absolute latest version.
So, I downloaded this version and I used it to try and expand the hero sprite, but for some reason the option to uncheck the box under the secondary tab is not available, so I skipped that step and moved on to expanding the canvas and changing every offset of each frame, but when I made my sprite, it still ended up bleeding into the next frame. After I tried editing a normal trainer sprite and followed the tut exactly, even unchecking the box, and the same thing still happened. Is there possibly a different process I could use to do this?
Heres the tut. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=302814
Also, KarateKid, I saw your tut about this, and looked at the part for extending, but other than editing the size in the hex editor, the process seems to be the same. Although I haven't tried it yet, ill still give it a shot.
Old August 23rd, 2013 (07:10 AM).
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
So, I downloaded this version and I used it to try and expand the hero sprite, but for some reason the option to uncheck the box under the secondary tab is not available, so I skipped that step and moved on to expanding the canvas and changing every offset of each frame, but when I made my sprite, it still ended up bleeding into the next frame. After I tried editing a normal trainer sprite and followed the tut exactly, even unchecking the box, and the same thing still happened. Is there possibly a different process I could use to do this?
Heres the tut. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=302814
Also, KarateKid, I saw your tut about this, and looked at the part for extending, but other than editing the size in the hex editor, the process seems to be the same. Although I haven't tried it yet, ill still give it a shot.
The process in darth's tut is the same, only it deals with the raw hex instead. Now, if you don't repoint frames, it will bleed. That is because these are uncompressed frames. Just force the program to repoint all frames to free space so that they are all black (or transparent color) when the program loads them next time.

Paired with Simba
Old August 23rd, 2013 (07:28 AM).
SpadeEdge16

Quote:
The process in darth's tut is the same, only it deals with the raw hex instead. Now, if you don't repoint frames, it will bleed. That is because these are uncompressed frames. Just force the program to repoint all frames to free space so that they are all black (or transparent color) when the program loads them next time.
For me, when I edit the frames, I use the "FSF" on NSE to get my offset, but then when it changes, the canvas is black (not my transparent color). So does that mean its not using free space?
Old August 23rd, 2013 (08:21 AM).
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

It's black since you repointed. So now it's loading a bunch of FFs, and now you are free to either draw or import.
Old August 23rd, 2013 (08:33 AM).
SpadeEdge16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
It's black since you repointed. So now it's loading a bunch of FFs, and now you are free to either draw or import.
Yeah, I understand that and I know it should be working. its a very simple process, yet its not working for me and im not sure if im overlooking something or not. I have noticed that when I click the magnifying glass to find a new offset for me, it finds one that's currently being used by another sprite, so I thought maybe I would have to get rid of the offset in both places, but then realized it overwrites it, so it shouldn't matter. I cant think of what the problem might be.
Old August 23rd, 2013 (08:34 AM).
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Well you could use a hex editor and search for free space yourself, that way you're never wrong. I do that.
Old August 23rd, 2013 (08:39 AM).
SpadeEdge16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
Well you could use a hex editor and search for free space yourself, that way you're never wrong. I do that.
Could I also use a FSF? instead of the one in NSE? and search for the bytes? Im not too skilled with using my hex editor yet. How many bytes would I search for if im doing that? is it 8 ofr each frame?
Old August 23rd, 2013 (08:40 AM).
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

No, just look for a bunch of FFs. Like about 400 bytes worth, even though a frame is only like 200. Just be sure it's after 720000 in FR and Ruby, and F00000 in emerald.

Sponsored Links