The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:35 AM
mucus
Moémon Master

Nature: Quirky
Catch techniques, we all have them.

From holding down A when you throw the ball to lowering your target's HP.
From putting your target to sleep to using cheats so all balls catch all the time.

My current technique, which I've been using pretty successfully for a couple years now, is to simply launch an assault of balls until one sticks.
This is especially true on legendary pokemon whom have ridiculously low catch rates anyway.
Yes, I will probably lower my target's hp by a bit, but this is not my aim.
And I might wind up paralyzing or putting my target to sleep, but that's more so my team doesn't have to take an assault to which they won't be fighting back.

My "throw all balls" technique is more than simply lobbing the same kind of ball over and over.
You must rotate the kind of ball you are using, the more variety, the better.
I've caught a full health Rayquaza with a net ball using this technique.
I've caught an Azelf with a repeat ball.

So there's my technique, what's yours?
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:48 AM
«Chuckles»
First of all, I'm not a "total psycho"

Nature: Brave
pretty Mich the same for me, it is easy early game cause everything is low leveled and a butterfree at level 20 is op for early game

PairTumblrAnime ListFriend Code
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Endless
& by looking through

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
When catching regular Pokémon, I lower their HP a little and start throwing Poké Balls toward them. I end up catching them in two to three turns, usually. If their level are a bit high, then it could take up to five turns. When I'm about to catch legendary Pokémon like Dialga, Palkia, Zekrom, or Reshiram, then I lower their HP as much as I possibly can and paralyze them (I like to make them fall asleep, too, but that doesn't happen too often). When everything's set, I throw Great, Ultra, and Timer Balls at them until they're successfully caught. n~n
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:05 AM
ShiningLust
Gym Leader of Ground Oden

Nature: Jolly
well idk if this is a style of how to catch Pokemon. I use Pokeball for all Pokemon even legendary but I make sure at all time I have over 600 Pokeballs and I like to use Pokeballs cuz it makes it more fun to catch the Pokemon to me but idk about anyone else

Egg Swap is back for GT10! Join us now and get swapping!
Pokemon White 2
Trainer Name: Oden
Friend Code: 4299-4642-0391
3DS Friend Name: Oden
3DS Friend Code: 3969-4646-3728
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Autumn Reverie
The world bores you when you're cool.

Nature: Modest
I usually lower the target Pokemon's HP to the lowest possible, paralyze, burn or make it sleep if possible, then spam Dusk Balls/Ultra Balls at it. Of course, Dusk Balls only work at night. During the day, it'll be Ultra Balls. Another technique which I assume everyone already is familiar with is to chuck a Quick Ball right at the beginning of a battle and hope for the best.
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Altair
Incognito

Nature: Brave
I lower the Pokemon's health to the red zone, paralyze or put it to sleep then just chuck my best ball (that suits the situation) at it. For legends, I try to use balls that suit their colour. An example would be a Great Ball for Azelf, Ultra Ball for Uxie and Zapdos.
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Aeroblast
"oh hi Mark"
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I just toss a quick ball before bringing out my catcher.
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I lower the health to the yellow then throw a pokeball at the pokemon.
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Castform
Fortune doesn't favor fools!

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
If it is a legendary, I save before the match so I can have another shot if I fail. I use the same technique though for all Pokemon. I will weaken them to the yellow or red health on the bar and then if possible status them with sleep or paralysis. I will then use Ultra Balls or Dusk Balls if in a cave or at night.

Old August 24th, 2013, 07:55 AM
mucus
Moémon Master

I think "Save before encountering legendary" is obligatory.
Except for the first time you ever meet a legendary... and don't realize you'll NEVER get a chance to see it again!
Old August 24th, 2013, 08:16 AM
adventure
trust your doctor

Nature: Naive
For topics that only refer to the pokémon games, please post in Pokémon Gaming Central instead. Read the rules of a section before you begin posting in it, to know where to post what :)

-moved
Old August 24th, 2013, 08:19 AM
mucus
Moémon Master

oops! my bad, thanks for moving it!
Old August 24th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Darkrai Lv.1000
The Ultimate Dark Pokémon...

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
I save before legendaries first.

First I'll toss a Quick Ball right at the start and see what happens. If it escapes, I'll get its HP as close to 0 as possible without taking it out, then I'll either paralyze it or put it to sleep (depending on which Pokemon I have in my party that can do it). Then I'll toss whatever ball that would suit the Pokemon's characteristics, such as a Dusk Ball on Darkrai (regardless of time of day), Net Ball on Volcarona, or Dive Ball on Kyogre. I'll do this, even if I have a ball that will get the job done easier. xD
Old August 24th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Foxrally
Torterra = Epic Private Island

Nature: Naive
When i'm about to get a really important catch, such as an epic-looking Pokemon or a legendary (which isn't the master-ball-one), I put the volume down, face away from the DS, close my ears and eyes, and count to 5.

Pairs - -
Old August 24th, 2013, 09:39 AM
morrison

Nature: Quiet
I use mostly speciality balls, i cant be bothered to get low levelled pokes in my team.

Pokemon Hardmode Sapphire Comic
starts as b/w but turns colourful a couple of pages later
Old August 24th, 2013, 09:57 AM
macguyver16

Nature: Relaxed
1. Use quick ball
2 If quick ball is ineffective, bring out pokemon with either paralyze or sleep attack
3. use said attack
4. try to attack weaker-ish pokemon to whittle down HP
5. Use timer ball
6. If timer ball is not effective, put pokemon back to sleep and keep spamming ultra balls until caught.

Have any of you guys noticed that the higher level pokemon you have out in the field, the easier it is to catch the wild pokemon?
what's the same instead of
always looking at what's different,

...well, who knows?”

― Meowth

add me FC: 5386-8241-4622
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

I throw the ball and rapid click B. Always works for me. I only lower legendaries HP and most of the time I use specialty balls like Dusk Balls because most legendaries are usually in caves.
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:00 AM
mucus
Moémon Master

Might be true for a level ball . . .
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:09 AM
ImBlue
dabbadeedabadai

If it's a legendary: save beforehand, paralyze, get down to red, spam ultra balls, hold B and Down as soon as ball closes and keep holding until either caught or broken out.

For everything else, it's spam ultra balls while doing the same B+Down thing. If that starts taking a while I might try whittling down HP, but otherwise it's just keep throwing ultra balls.
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Elixir.
Fly Away

Nature: Calm
I don't really bother with status affecting moves unless I'm dealing with a legendary. Normally I just lower its health into the red zone and start throwing Ultra Balls.
Old August 24th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Arlo

Serious catching:

At least one open slot on my team, so that whatever I catch is added to the team and I can check its nature and stats right on the spot.

A Synchronize lead.

A catcher - something bulky with a sleep or paralysis move and some combination of weak and/or limited moves. False Swipe is best and Sonic Boom, Seismic Toss, Dragon Rage and those sorts of moves with set damage are pretty good.

Save before I go into the grass/water/sand, or before I face a legendary.

As soon as they become available, I start using Quick Balls, and almost always lead with one. If it works, then I check the pokemon's nature and stats and if they're good, I keep it and if they're not, I reset and try again.

If the Quick Ball doesn't work, then the catcher goes to work. I tend to prefer paralysis over sleep, just because it doesn't wear off, but either one will work. I chip the pokemon down however far seems necessary (all the way to 1 if I've got False Swipe, but just down as far as I think will work if not, since I really hate fainting stuff that I'm trying to catch), then use mostly Ultra Balls, Dusk Balls or Dive Balls, though I do use other balls, particularly if it's a really distinctive pokemon that I think will look especially good with a particular ball. I like to match the ball or the shader to the pokemon - Gardevoir and Reuniclus in a Nest Ball, Cinccino in a Premier Ball, Audino in a Heal Ball, Tentacool in a Great Ball, Pawniard in a Timer Ball, Zubat and pretty much any Ghost in a Dusk Ball - that sort of thing.

At this point, with legendaries, I can't be arsed to fight them and chip them down and throw a bajillion Ultra Balls at them. I only catch them if it's necessary to advance the story, and in that case, I just throw one Quick Ball and if it doesn't work, I reset and do it again. I just keep doing that until I catch it. I never use legendaries anyway, so it really doesn't matter.
Old August 24th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

1. Status
2. Red/False Swipe
3. More status if necessary
4. Toss ball according to catch rate and cost/rarity: dusk -> ultra -> great -> poke
5. Capture!

I don't stock up quick balls
Old August 24th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

1. Status
2. Red/False Swipe
3. More status if necessary
4. Toss ball according to catch rate and cost/rarity: dusk -> ultra -> great -> poke
5. Capture!

I don't stock up quick balls
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I usually try to lower their HP as much as possible and/or use sleep/paralyze inducing moves then I use my Pokéballs.

"We will kill your enemies. That will be fun."
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:37 PM
mucus
Moémon Master

Poke ball is my good ol' standby.
And buy them in tens so you get the bonus ball.
Dusk balls work pretty well too.
But the rest from greats to timers I rarely purchased because they don't seem to give much of an advantage.

Sponsored Links