The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 24th, 2013 (05:47 PM).
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
I've held the B button from the Gameboy Color to the DSiXL. It's become a thing ingrained in me. I know that it doesn't increase catch-rate but it's just something that makes me feel more secure when I throw that ball.

My strategy for catching is either A. Early to Mid game; Halve HP (till Yellow) then throw.
Late Game 3/4th their HP (till Red) then throw. or B. Quick Balls for days.
Old August 25th, 2013 (02:04 PM).
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Paralyze/Sleep (lately fond of Paralyze), bombard wild Pokémon with Dusk Balls (or another appropriate one), push B at every movement of the ball.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old August 25th, 2013 (02:22 PM).
A Sunny Moo

When I was a child, I had this habit of pressing B and up when I threw a ball in order to catch a Pokemon. I was about 8 years old, and I caught a Zapdos with one UltraBall using this trick, so I was determined that it worked. I even talked to people in Pokemon forums about it, even though I knew that most people did not believe it (which eventually got me into researching Random Number Generation to see if it was possible... I was a weird kid)

I still have the habit of pressing B and Up. Other people look at me weird when I do it, though. I also do it when I land a super effective/critical hit on someone and am hoping that it will KO them, while watching their HP bar go down (especially with high level Pokemon where you are watching the HP bar go down for 3 seconds or so). I'm really not sure where that habit came from.

As far as actual catching technique goes, I tend to paralyze Pokemon because it's long-term and also reduces the target Pokemon's speed. It also raises the catch rate the most out of the other status effects without possibly KOing the Pokemon. Moves that cause paralysis without doing damage are also quite common. Depending on the Pokemon, I might not use damaging moves at all, for example if the Pokemon knows a self-harming move like double-edge (KYOGRE, I hated that).
Old August 25th, 2013 (04:06 PM).
Dott

Nature: Timid
I just lower their HP as much as possible, then throw a ton of ultra balls. It's how I've caught most of my wild/legendary pokemon.

Funny story though, when I caught Ho-oh, I didn't realize there was only one master ball in the game so i used it without thinking o_o'

Old August 25th, 2013 (04:38 PM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
When I'm up against legendaries, I used to cycle between Poke Balls, Great Balls and Ultra Balls in a desperate attempt to catch it after weakening it (and statusing it if possible), but now I find that ineffective, so now I spam Dusk Balls (at night or in a cave), Timer Balls (after 10+ turns), or Ultra Balls (if none of the above).

Old August 25th, 2013 (05:05 PM).
SinfulGuroRose
Ignore me, I'm socially inept.

Nature: Bashful
I always get the Pokémon's health down to as low as I think I can get it without killing it. Then, I use Thunder Wave or a sleep move, and if I can, False Swipe. I then throw Pokéballs in trial and error until I catch it. Usually start off with a Pokéball, and if I don't have a lot of Ultra Balls, I'll use whatever ball is appropriate to the situation and location.

Old August 25th, 2013 (05:35 PM). Edited August 25th, 2013 by Playful_Weasel.
Playful_Weasel
can I have a Pokepuff?
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
First off I have to make sure I have enough 'balls' with me (Pokeballs, Great Balls, Ultra Balls, any other given or found along the way).

I save before legendaries too.

I try to lower HP as low as possible (except for my only shiny - instant master ball)

If its a Pokemon I really want, I'll have my Watchog (or equivalent in other earlier generation games) use Mean Look (another similar move to prevent Pokemon from escaping in earlier generations).

I'll use which ever ball seems most likely to catch the Pokemon if I have one (dusk ball, net ball, etc..) other wise I'll start with Pokeballs for common Pokemon or lower level Pokemon. Great Balls for mid level Pokemon (around 30 to 50), and Ultra Balls for legendary and higher level Pokemon.... I'll use the others too if I run out of a certain ball.

Guess I'm not different from many other trainers.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challengess
Random Challenge - Badges: 8/8 - game: X - Location: defeated Elite 4
Random Challenge - Badges: 7/8 - game: Y - Location: Route 19
50/50 Challenge - Badges 6/8 - Game Y - Location: Dendemille Town/Frost Cavern - haven't continued yet
Old August 25th, 2013 (05:53 PM).
KnockFan
Just a Beginner ...

Before playing Black, I generally throw any PokeBall (mostly Ultra Balls), and mash the D-Pad in random directions with A, B, X, and Y.
Old August 25th, 2013 (10:06 PM).
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I just lower their HP as much as possible, toss a ball and hope it's a critical capture. I also like using just plain Poke Balls, I'm not sure why lol. I even caught my Latias in White 2 in a Poke Ball and I'm rather proud of that o: I caught Reshiram in a Premier Ball, too.

As for technique, if it's a legendary I usually get all fancy with the status inducers and False Swipe.

Old August 25th, 2013 (10:11 PM).
Hikamaru
this is all yours
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I usually tend to weaken their HP to a decent level, and inflict status conditions like sleep or paralysis if necessary. Also, I usually tend to try different kinds of Poke Balls to see what works, but I also like to take the advantages of balls that have improved catch rates under certain conditions, like Dusk Balls if used at night/in caves or Net Balls on Bug and Water-types, and Timer Balls on those hard-to-catch Legendaries that take up loads of turns to catch.

Sometimes I may also carry a False Swipe user if needed.

battle server | tumblr | profile | supporter
pairs | the welcome lounge | fairy-type club

Old August 25th, 2013 (10:18 PM).
Fiery Dash

I used to have a hunter Parasect, it uses Spore + False Swipe combo to help me with my capture.

But since Parasect has terrible Speed and typing, there are some occassion that I'll use Roserade, Bellossom, Vileplume and/or Venusaur's Sleep Powder instead.
Old August 26th, 2013 (03:03 AM).
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Not much.
Lower HP, and throw.
Throw until it's no use.
Then... *dawning face*

Timer Ball.
Bouche.
Old August 30th, 2013 (10:03 PM).
tsubaki9
Send the dead back to dead!

Nature: Timid
I always lower its HP and give it a status condition.
Once I throw a Poke Ball, I press the A Button non-stop, and it turned out good.
I use Ultra Ball for evolved Pokemon and Poke Ball for a weak Pokemon such as Oddish.
Old August 30th, 2013 (10:17 PM).
Orifiel
Priestess

A quick ball from the start. I caught then success, if not then I'll lower the enemy's HP then catch it with an ultra ball, great ball, and poke ball. Well it depends if it's a legendary or not, usually I use a great ball or poke ball on a normal Pokemon but I use Ultra ball to a Legendary one. If through lowering HP still hesitate to be caught then I'll use status attack like Thunder wave and sleep powder.
Old August 31st, 2013 (02:09 AM).
Aslan
the pretender

I'm also one of the people that has gotten the habit of pressing B when catching Pokemon. Before you start ranting about how pressing one button will not alter my chances of catching 100 or so pixels, I just consider it as a good luck charm. Although I did used to think that it increased the chance until I came across an article on it. Generally though, my strategy is to get their HP as low as humanly possible, inflict status and then start chucking Ultra Balls or whatever seems the most fitting. :D
Old August 31st, 2013 (06:55 AM).
Lucky1Yena
Just some guy

I weaken them, paralyze, freeze or put them to sleep, then throw balls at the Pokémon. If I have more than one type, I cycle through them in the order they appear in the bag (minus the master ball (reserved for roaming legendaries) and balls designed for a specific thing like the Dusk Balls. Those only come into play at night and in caves)
Patiently awaiting final versions of these hacks: TheJohto Legacy series - starting with the most complete one, the Christmas hack, Pokémon Liquid Crystal, Pokémon Crystal Dust, Pokémon DarkViolet, Pokémon Prism
Old September 3rd, 2013 (12:43 AM).
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Nature: Careful
Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
If it's not a legendary, my strategy is to use False Swipe and make it fall asleep. If it's a legendary, I attempt that but it doesn't always work out.
Old September 3rd, 2013 (06:08 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
When it comes to a normal capture, I usually don't do anything more than your basic attack, weaken, and catch. For Pokémon more rare or for legendaries, I'm usually a bit more crafty. Inducing paralysis or sleep is my go-to strategy, and if I have it, I lower the HP down to one with False Swipe just to better my odds.

I also like to use Pokéballs that are beneficiary to my surrounding, time of day, or to the Pokémon m trying to catch. This is usually a big help in most cases, if not the most useful.
Old September 3rd, 2013 (06:35 AM).
mucus
Moémon Master

Nature: Quirky
i've made nearly a million pokebucks now.
i use tons of duskballs now because they are cute.
Old September 3rd, 2013 (06:42 AM).
Axeliira
we all got the spark

Nature: Brave
I throw a Pokeball first. If I'm lucky enough I might catch it on the first try. If not, then I attack with lighter attacks such as tackle or double-edge, which does help lower the HP. If I get the HP to lower itself, I'll be able to catch it.

Ever think that you could lose your mind, could it be the big d r e a m you'll find.
No more waiting cause it's almost time, everything is gonna be a l r i g h t.
moderator of fan clubs & groups ~ paired to buoysel & kanzler
Old September 3rd, 2013 (06:45 AM).
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
I use duskballs as well, and I usually set the season to Winter when the nights get longer, so therefore I have more time to catch the Pokemon I want. Watchog is my preferred Pokemon, as it has two great moves in Super Fang and Hypnosis to reliably get the wild Pokemon down to low health.
Old September 4th, 2013 (10:05 PM).
Brendino
Strike that. Reverse it.

Nature: Quiet
My fairly basic routine of catching Pokemon is trying to lower their HP as much as possible (or down to 1HP if I have someone with False Swipe), then I either put them to sleep or paralyze them. Then, depending on what point of the game I'm at, I'll either use the best Poke Ball available to me at that point, or a Dusk Ball once I have a good stock of them (since a majority of my Pokemon gaming is at night). Generally I'll just keep throwing balls or put it back to sleep/paralyze it until I catch it, sometimes using a random ball at some point just to see if I'm lucky.

One thing I've always done though, is hold up+B the moment the Pokemon goes into the ball, even though I've known for years it doesn't do anything. Just more of a habit at this point, I guess.

Moderator of Pokémon General
Old September 4th, 2013 (10:50 PM).
Shrew
is a shrew

1. Always lower the pokemon's HP as low as possible, unless if a crit would be too risky.
2. Use a ball that fits the pokemon's design. Heal Balls for girly pokemon, Dive Balls for water pokemon, Nest Ball for grass types, Premier Balls have a burst of red light suitable for fire types, etc.

3. Use the touch pad or analog stick to follow the pokeball's shaking pattern, and tap the screen right when the pokeball clicks.
Old September 5th, 2013 (03:57 AM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

For any pokémon in Sinnoh I throw a Fast Ball first. For legendaries I then weaken it, throw Ultra Balls (Around 20) or Dusk Balls (Same numbers, if in a cave or at night), then alternate around every 10 between Ultra / Dusk and Timer Balls.

If I have a pokémon with a sleep move i normally only weaken to about 1/2 hp then put the wild pokémon to sleep. I've been doing this in LeafGreen with Butterfree (and normally do it with Bulbasaur if I chose that as a starter - at lv. 70 Venusaur will still have Sleep Powder and Leech Seed xD), or paralyzing with Pikachu if Butterfree isn't an option.

Or if I have a pokémon that's a lot weaker than mine, doesn't matter if its lv. 40 and its only weak because I'm using lv. 80s from my last HeartGold / Platinum saves, its Quick Ball then Nest Balls all the way.

I've only just kicked the habit of holding down AB when the ball opens up to the end of that turn on Gen III, and alternating between that and going A when it opens, B, L+R when it closes (All held down) from Gen IV. Obviously I knew they did nothing, but it was just a habit.
Old September 5th, 2013 (05:12 AM).
Falsever
maybe i'll come back

Nature: Jolly
I always lower its HP by False Swipes first.
Then throw a Ball, I used Poké Balls for weak Pokémon and Ultra Ball for strong Pokémon.
Once I throw a Ball, I always press A and B repeatly, because I think it'll increase the chance to capture it.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links