• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen If you could add one thing to B2/W2, what would it be?

Years
Since there are quite a few people that think B2W2 don't have much that separate them from the original BW, I figured i'd make this topic to ask if there was something you would have added to it that you think might have helped. So i'll start it off.

What I would have added was making the Gym Leaders and Elite Four tougher from the get-go. They could have easily gave them four Pokémon with the New Unova Dex. It would have been more productive to give them the Challenge Mode teams right off the bat (even with the same levels as on Normal Mode) then give them five on Challenge Mode. That would have let them take advantage of the new Pokémon added in.

In addition, some of the levels in the later area are kinda low. For instance, you battle Colress and his team is Level 50/52, then Ghetsis afterward is the same. I would have made him at least 52/54 like he was in the original BW (especially considering in those games you battle him after N). Also, I would have gave him a mixed Hydreigon. I get why they gave him a physical attacking Hydreigon, because Iris has a special attacking one, but they should have gave it something to hit Steel-types with, like Fire Blast, Earth Power, or if nothing else, Earthquake. I mean, Frustration? Really? With that Life Orb, it could have been as much of a challenge as ever if it could do something against Steel-types.

And the Elite Four, since the trainers in Victory Road are so high level you can easily end up over leveled above them (I was Level 60+ first time when I did because I abused the Lucky Egg, and that was with a full team).

Speaking of the Elite Four, they only had four Pokémon in the original BW, but that was because of how small the Unova Dex was. But here, they could have easily given them five Pokémon (six on Challenge Mode), and made them at least Level 58/60 and made the Champion more than one level above them. That would have made it much more interesting.

So yeah, that's what I would have added to B2W2, give the Gym Leaders more Pokémon and make the levels near the end not so close to each other. How about you guys? Discuss.

Last edited:

Whitney's Shaymin

Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Years
FREAKING FOLLOWING POKEMON!!! After HGSS was released everyone was hyped up because well the Pokemon could follow you. Then Nintendo messed it up and got rid of that. They with the reveal of BW2, we hoped this feature would return, and of course it didn't. This is what we needed... and we now know it's not gonna be in X/Y either! HGSS WHY U TROLL US?!

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
In my eyes, BW2's feature are close to perfect.
They should add a Jukebox in the same fashion as PokeGear,
a Jukebox that one can listen to all soundtracks from Gev I to Gen V!
Secondly I'm a huge fan of Hoenn Contests,
collecting Ribbons are one of my Hobbies from Gen III and IV!
I once had a Blastoise who had 25 ribbons on him,
it's not many but it's great to one's hardwork getting commemorate!
They are not just average Ribbons, they contain memories of that effort and hardships!
I was a little disappointed to see Ribbon not returning in BW2.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I think bw2 are awesome :( , I think the levels are perfect for a more casual player like me :D. Although I do like the idea of having contests, as I am not a fan of the inactivity of the musicals. but I think it is quite a well rounded edition, and not at all just like b/w. (the order of towns to visit is totally different.)

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I think there was some preliminary data found in Black/White suggesting that walking with pokemon was originally going to be added, but then scrapped. Black/White 2 would have been a good opportunity to add it in, agreeing with pokemoner2500.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I would add the lines of Pikachu, Gastly, Togepi, Scyther, and Shellder to the Unova dex.

However, if this would make the Unova dex too full, I'd take out Dunsparce, the Slakoth line, the Jigglypuff line, and maybe the Rattata and Croagunk lines.

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
In my eyes, BW2's feature are close to perfect.
They should add a Jukebox in the same fashion as PokeGear,
a Jukebox that one can listen to all soundtracks from Gev I to Gen V!
Secondly I'm a huge fan of Hoenn Contests,
collecting Ribbons are one of my Hobbies from Gen III and IV!
I once had a Blastoise who had 25 ribbons on him,
it's not many but it's great to one's hardwork getting commemorate!
They are not just average Ribbons, they contain memories of that effort and hardships!
I was a little disappointed to see Ribbon not returning in BW2.

I agree with the above statements. The only thing I would add to this list is an expansion to the side quest with Curtis/Yancy. After completing their side quest, I kinda wished there was more, like make Curtis/Yancy and your character an official couple or something.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'd add the ability to transfer Pokémon directly from the third generation games. It would make things a whole lot easier for people who still own R/S/E and FR/LG. I'd also add the ability to have my Pokémon follow me around just like in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver. It's a great way to develop bond and friendship, and it's always fun to see the expression on their faces whenever you interact with them. n__n

Altair1

Willpower
Years
FREAKING FOLLOWING POKEMON!!!

You can actually go ahead and see how it looks to have a mienfoo follow you if you go to a certain house in Humilau City. You have to walk this socialite's Mienfoo around her house...

Not much to say about what to add, it's got plenty enough for my liking... But I do agree with the OP, they should make Pokemon games more challenging, I found only HG/SS challenging.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I'd not add anything. Rather replace something. Iris as Champion is the only flaw of B2W2. I wish they had chosen someone else. Like Drayden. Marshal would've also been a good choice, a black Champion (Iris isn't black but Southern Asian or Indian looking IMO) could be pretty interesting, and he has a pretty good team as well. A Fighting-type Champion would be a pleasant change from the Dragon-type we're all bored to see.

The Champions were the low point of 5th gen IMO. Alder was a good character, but as a Champion he was really weak, being easily defeated by N and not having any competitive spirit left in himself ever since he lost Volcarona the original. His theme song wasn't cool either. I think, as a final challenge, the Ghetsis from the first game surpassed both Alder and Iris. The song was epic, his team was epic and suited him perfectly. I wish they had given him an even stronger team in B2W2 instead of downgrading him to Cyrus level. Not that Cyrus was weak, but he wasn't that strong either.

Last edited:
Years
I would certainly add a feature for Pokémon to follow you as well, simply because of the fact that if it was implemented in HGSS, it could be done in BW/B2W2 as well. I would also probably implement the feature where you could lock in running shoes as well, just like in HGSS.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Contests.

Super-Awesome sidequests that totally hypes all concerned. What's better? I mean, it gives the game more than just a "beat the gyms & elite four then boo-yeah" look.

Nuff said.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
I would certainly add a feature for Pokémon to follow you as well, simply because of the fact that if it was implemented in HGSS, it could be done in BW/B2W2 as well.

Ditto.

Especially with a lot of the Pokemon designs being really nice in Gen. 5, it would be epic to have your little emolga jump-fly behind you.

Apart from that, I would do anything for a Poketch (Poke-watch) in X and Y, or in any other game, it's fun, useful, and a really good way to find hidden items, check friendship, remember berries planted, etc.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Like many others, I would want the follow-me feature to be implemented. When I learned that it wasn't in B/W I was disappointed. The fact that it wasn't in B2/W2 was even more disappointing. Also auto running shoes. having to go back to always pressing 'B' again was a pain.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Contests.

Super-Awesome sidequests that totally hypes all concerned. What's better? I mean, it gives the game more than just a "beat the gyms & elite four then boo-yeah" look.

Nuff said.

For those who like contests, the Hoenn ones are the best, but I believe GF felt the contests were sort of uninteresting to hardcore players and nerfed them already in Emerald - notice how they moved all to one city instead of being widespread and giving some utility to cities without gyms.

I think that, if they're going to implement contests again, there should be a bigger reward for winning them all. The way they were in RSE and DPPt, there was hardly any incentive to winning them.

Like many others, I would want the follow-me feature to be implemented. When I learned that it wasn't in B/W I was disappointed. The fact that it wasn't in B2/W2 was even more disappointing. Also auto running shoes. having to go back to always pressing 'B' again was a pain.

This isn't directed only at yourself, but why do people want this feature to come back? It was almost useless in HGSS and well, it wasn't implemented the way I think it should have. Before playing the game, I thought you could choose any Pokémon in your party to follow you, not just the lead. I didn't want my following Pokémon to change with my lead.

That, and Honchkrow's sprite wasn't a flying one, which I can't forgive GF for.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
Free roam flying; just like the Ranger games.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 17, 2019
In my opinion, these games were fantastic, so there is not a lot I would change, rather add on. The first thing that I would have been happy to see is the return of the battle frontier. I don't think the battle subway is that good. Unlike the battle frontier, they are all in the same place, so there is no variation in the places you battle.
My second thing that I would add is a battle with you from white/black. With the memory link, I thought that this was a given. You would get subtle hints about your character, but would never see him. When they said that he went far away looking for N, I thought that they meant the nature preserve, so I was disapointed to not have the chance for this to happen.
I'm still holding out hope that they will make Kalos the far away region, that he/she went, and you battle them there.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 4, 2013
I agree with the saffi zone notion, it would have been really cool. i used it a lot in diamond and peral

Back