• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Colosseum or XD: Gale of Darkness?

Which game was better?

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2013
For me, I would have to say Colosseum. XD was the first one I played, but I don't like the fact that you spend almost 1/4 of the game on Citadark Isle alone. Plus, Colosseum had a better choice of Pokemon IMO, and the ending was challenging.

You?

Sirfetch’d

I always liked Colosseum a bit more because of the original storyline, and the legendary beast being obtainable. XD had a bit more of a selection however.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Played and finished both.
I liked Colosseum more because of Wes & Rui and 'cause you had both Espeon and Umbreon from the start while in XD you could only have one.
Also because of availability of legendary beasts as they could have been used in game storyline.
This was missing in XD where XD001 and legendary birds were at possession of the last boss so you couldn't pretty much use them... :/
But XD001 was the main reason why I liked XD as well but Colosseum is better imo.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 2, 2013
Played only Colosseum and yes as said above liked the storyline. kept us in game all the time.

Years
I was glad to see the return of Miror B. in XD! Both games are nice, but there is more variety of locations in XD. With the coastal town, ect. Additionally, I like how I was able to choose which path of evolution for my Eevee, and that I didn't have two eeveelutions. I mean, I love my Vaporeon! Though the wild pokemon encounters were limited, it at least existed, plus you can catch a FLYGON! And, generally XD offered more pokemon to obtain. However, Colosseum offered a bit more as far as the storyline. At the end of the day, Pokemon is about Pokemon, and XD appealed more to me in selectivity aforementioned.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'll go with Colo, even if XD had more to do, more to snag, the Battle Sims and so forth. Colo just had more going for it with johto starters and a more interesting protagonist and the like. I suppose I am a bit biased, but oh well. It is an opinion poll. =p

Years
I have both, I have played both, and I like both, so I'm not sure why that wouldn't be a problem to have as a poll choice. :s

But I guess I could say I liked XD more because it has a wider variety in many ways, especially for the Shadow Pokémon..

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
There are pros and cons to each, and my preference is kind of biased because I played it first, but I'll have to go with XD. I guess I just became a spoiled brat with the purification machine doing all the work for me without needing to carry around all the shadow Pokemon throughout my entire journey, as well as the Orre Colosseum at the end of the game for an added challenge.

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
Years
I have only played Colosseum. It was fun for what it was. Gale of Darkness looked too similar to catch my interest, so I never picked it up.

blue

gucci
Years
I've played both Colosseum first and then XD and I gotta say as much as I love them both it has to be Colosseum for me.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Both were pretty amazing. I enjoyed the mechanical aspects of XD more, i.e. the battling and shadow mechanics, not to mention the graphics. But as said by many others, Colosseum had some dynamic characters and storylines. Overall XD wins, but not by much.

Microchip55

I'm a crumb.
Years
Colosseum had:
-Better characters with Wes and Rui.
-A very gripping storyline from the word go. It really was amazing the first time you played it.
-Espeon AND Umbreon were better starters. You also start a bit higher leveled so less grind time.
-A more mature theme overall good for teens/adults, XD seems more watered down and focusing on children.

XD had:
-Better graphics and animations
-More Shadow moves
-More Shadow and wild Pokemon!
-Anything you want bby girl ;)
-New locations and characters

I've only played Colosseum so i'm obviously biased but I think Colosseum looks like a better package overall, the setting, theme and story were nailed perfectly, I loved every second, XD still looks good with some gameplay tweaks and decent story but Colosseum all the way bby!

Basically, what he said ^ haha
I liked both but I played Colesseum first and loved it.

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
Years
XD: Gale of Darkness was poorly made.. I bought it for my Gamecube in grade 6. Honestly it was the most disappointing thing I had ever played. The whole storyline in general was completely awful. Colosseum for sure.

PhoenixSoul

I gain strength from my ashes
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I played them both but I have to say Colosseum appealed to me more for it's storyline and pokemon selection. Plus two Eevee evolutions are always better than one. :P

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
Played both but never completed XD, so far. I read XD was literally build on top of Colosseum (like, an official hack :P) and in some ways improved some of Colo's functions (Shadow moves, purifying, ect). Colo had a darker, more mature tone. Grateful they made XD though, for obtaining more Pokemon for 3rd gen games. :)

Back