The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Today, Nintendo announced the 2DS which will be released on the same day as X and Y, 12th October.

Read here.

What are your thoughts?
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:37 AM
A Shadow's Soul
Waaaaaaaaaat?
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Looks like a failed Tablet, or what the nintendo DS was going to originally be until they all got of the effects of meth and fired the guy for the design.

In a nutshell, only stupid people would buy this.

(IT'S NOT EVEN PORTABLE)

~ Mell - Red Fraction ~
Hi I'm Adam ~ Showdown ~ VM ~

Old August 28th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
It looks absolutely useless. It's not portable, and it can't even fold shut. They have a pouch for it, but what can that do? I think Nintendo is starting to go downhill now.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
And before you ask guys, this is legit.
I'm.. honestly trying to bask in this information so far... XD

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Starry Windy
Bring your melody to life
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
I think it's one nice attempt from Nintendo that they decide to bring in non-3D version of 3DS in form of 2DS, since maybe Nintendo figured some child would activate 3D mode by accident because of their curiosity. And for some reason 2DS reminds me of Wii U's controller but bigger, which sadly is unlike 3DS and DS's fold-to-open handheld, which is why I favored them more than 2DS.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr

Last edited by Starry Windy; August 28th, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Basically a pocket extender, in my eyes. Will probably still sell millions because it's a DS and kids will ask their parents and their parents will say yes because it's cheaper.
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Heart View Post
I think it's one nice attempt from Nintendo that they decide to bring in non-3D version of 3DS in form of 2DS, since maybe Nintendo figured some child would activate 3D mode by accident because of their curiosity. And for some reason 2DS reminds me of Wii U's controller but bigger, which sadly is unlike 3DS and DS was (the fold-to-open handheld), which I favored from these lines.
Don't forget the 3DS has parental locks to prevent 3D from even turning on, regardless where the slider is.

Oh and this:

credits: linkandzelda

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I've just had the biggest PSP GO flashback of my life. Seriously, what the hell is this thing?

If you have a young child playing on a 3ds just turn the 3D off using the parental controls. I will say that it is nice to see a 3DS without crap L and R keys.
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
I like the idea--I love the idea. I have never really used the 3D setting on my 3DS because it's a pointless battery waste and it washes out the colours when you use it. So I'd consider myself the prime target for something like this but... it's so bulky since it doesn't close. :/ I've even got a purse so it's not like carrying something that size is a big deal for me but the design is so gross.

I'm gonna be really upset if they start pushing this and neglect to continue releasing colours here. :( I want my hot pink NA 3DS already!

I'd buy one of these if it were region-free but alas...

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old August 28th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

I can see why they made it and there certainly is a market for it, but they've gone about it in completely the wrong way. It's so bulky and doesn't look at all comfortable to hold, and it doesn't even look particularly pleasant. The idea of having a non-3D 3DS is perfectly suited for a lot of people who are looking for a cheaper way to play the 3DS games without having to bother with the 3D, but was this the way to do it...? I'd say no. I certainly won't be buying one, at least.
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:00 AM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
Even if it's way cheaper than the other 3Ds system , I'm still set on getting an XL instead. It's not really attractive look and I prefer a system that can fold cause it's easier to find in a pocket. A non-folding system only looks aesthetically pleasing on a system with one screen. This looks like a freaking door stopper.

It's being marketed towards children under 7 (or people who get motion sickness from the 3D) and I can see it selling well in that target audience. The system is safe for their eyes, bulky so likely durable so if they toss it around (like what a lot of kids at that age do with electronics/other things) it won't break, and cheap enough for many parents to be willing to buy it for them. But I don't seeing most other people not in that demographic getting it unless they can't afford a normal 3DS or XL.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Autumn Reverie
wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Ugh. The 2DS is......ugly. It looks too stiff and bulky and doesn't have the flexibility of the DS and the 3DS's clamshell cover. Having to hold the device upright all the time in a stiff position makes it look so uncomfortable. I mean, a 2DS is all fine and well and marketable, but why make its design that way?! I think people who dislike 3D graphics would probably just go ahead and buy the 3DS anyways after looking at that...thing. Ugh.

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:07 AM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I feel like this will be like the PSP Go, a huge flop. Why not just buy a regular 3DS and turn on the 2D function?

Yes, people with money issues would buy this, but would they prefer having this over a 3DS? I don't think so. It's too bulky and I don't even think it could fit into certain pockets. I don't know if it was necessary to make it that huge, but the design is just horrible ;~;

Last edited by LilJz; August 28th, 2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: I miswrote a sentence :C
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
It's horrible, pointless and made for little kids who want a new cheap console to play Pokémon.

On the other hand, I may be replacing my DSi with this for the purposes of trading with self. But only after the third game comes.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

What I want to know is why the system isn't even portable.. that was a major mistake from Nintendo there if you ask me.
Fairy
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/new/

From what I understand, this system will aim towards people who will appreciate it's lower pricing @ $129.99. Which, you know, I can understand that, but, I don't understand why they have to completely change the design, when they can just pust the 3Ds on a lower price. @__@ Honestly, to me, according to them, they're saying that the 3Ds might be too expensive (even though it's kinda not). :x

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachLMedia View Post
What I want to know is why the system isn't even portable.. that was a major mistake from Nintendo there if you ask me.
The 3DS XL isn't exactly portable either in my opinion. I like to put my 3DS in a pocket as my clothes usually have big pockets. Not to say the 3DS XL is bad; it's probably a better experience than the 3DS.

They really should just release a 3DS lite now, I'm sick of waiting as my 3DS has lots of wear and tear.

EDIT:

They. Didn't. Even. Give. It. Good. Battery. Life.
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Nathan
too lazy
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I'm so disappointed by that. I mean the 2DS isn't a bad idea but the design is so bulk and ugly. It isn't even portable. What's the meaning of having a console for kids if they can't even go with it wherever they want? If they desperately wanted to make money, why not remove the 3D function in a 3DS console and make a cheaper version of it?

no, you gotta get it inside
you push it back down, you push it back down

Old August 28th, 2013, 08:31 AM
reshilegend
Let's find the key we've lost

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to reshilegend
At least it comes with a charger, unlike European XLs

Seriously though, the design is horrible.
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Moogles
better than u
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I hate the design but it's obviously one that's meant for little kids and casual gamers so I don't think it's a bad move at all actually.

Lower income families can buy a much more durable system for less money. What's not strong about that?

Quote:
Honestly, Moogles, your posts are so nigh impossible to understand that I cannot help but just scratch my head. I know you’re trying to be clever and cute with your outright… pitiful writing style, but I’ll… try to tackle whatever drivel you said.
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:38 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I honestly don't mind it. I like the design (please don't kill me) and I do think it's a good idea on Nintendo's part.
It's pretty much a 3DS made for children; no 3D images, no hinges to snap, and a big bulky design.
It's releasing on Pokemon X & Y's release date too... which is also proof of Nintendo's plan. Releasing a very kid-friendly gaming console, with kid-friendly games, at adult-affordable prices in time for the holiday season of 2013 is definitely an ingenious idea.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Dter ic
(=^ェ^=)

So this is what happens when you get a 3DS and squish it down to essentially one little rectangular brick.

This will probably go down well with younger children whose parents might not want to get the slightly more expensive 3DS and might be concerned about it's sturdiness. This is the kid proof 3DS!

I don't think it'll be comfortable playing on that for probably more than 30 mins when your hands will be tired playing a game like Mario Kart 7.
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
I'd like a sleeker design, more of an actual tablet, like say, a Kindle Fire or something, but it's not that bad. It's a $40 cheaper 32DS, so if you don't like the 3D, it's the same thing really. Not getting one, though.
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogles View Post
Lower income families can buy a much more durable system for less money. What's not strong about that?
It's only $40 cheaper than the normal 3DS. If it was about $89 then I feel it would be different. When the 3DS is already fairly affordable, releasing this seems to be pointless.
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Sheep
foxy foxy whats it gonna be

Nature: Timid
If I didn't already have a 3DS I'd look into one getting one of these. I never use the 3D function on my XL so something that removes said function while making the system cheaper doesn't seem too bad. Looks a bit sturdier, too! If my 8 year old brother were to get his hands on a 3DS I'm sure he'd rip the top half off within a few months, haha.

Just curious about how it feels like to hold it because from the image it looks quite uncomfortable. Read otherwise, though.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links