• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Question

Who did you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Spr_1b_001.png
Spr_3f_001.png
Spr_4h_001.png

Spr_1b_004.png
Spr_3f_004.png
Spr_4h_004.png

Spr_1b_007.png
Spr_3f_007.png
Spr_4h_007.png

Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle? A question as old as pokémon itself...literally.

Who did you choose the first time? (Also the poll question)
Who would you choose next time you get this choice?
In which generation did you first encounter this decision? Gen I,III or IV?

Personally I find this to be the hardest out of all the starter choices. There's always clearly a favourite for me in the other generations - Cyndaquil, Mudkip, Piplup, Oshawott. But in Gen I it's always a three-way tie.
The first time I faced the original choice, in LeafGreen, I chose Charmander because, well, it turns into a dragon! I most often choose Bulbasaur though, due to ease of playing through. And when I play LeafGreen again (hopefully very soon) I honestly don't know whom I'll pick - although Squirtle is probably the least likely, due to the abundance of alternative water-types that I like.

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
Years
It was rather simple for me, as I had Blue version so felt obliged to get Squirtle. And since that makes it the first Pokemon I ever had, it had a distinct advantage over the other two (although I still love Bulbasaur and Charmander!)

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
Well, the first I time was faced with the decision of picking a starter was in LeafGreen. I picked Charmander, because eh... Fire type seemed the coolest to me. Next time I play the game I will probably pick Bulbasaur, because I like rotating the types when I play. (playthrough 1 - Fire type, playthrough 2 - Water type, playthrough 3 - Grass type, etc.)

And yeah, I definitely agree with you on Squirtle. There's just so many other good Water-types (Slowbro and Starmie are my personal favourites) that I restrict myself from catching because I already have a Water type, even though both of the Pokémon I mentioned are part Psychic as well.

Years
Bulbasaur would be a good choice because it can sweep the first two gyms well and because there arent many other good choices in the grass department. But most likely it will get the least votes because IMO its the least popular among the three. Venusaur is on the cover of Leaf Green, but I think people still bought Fire Red because I mean come on its a Charizard.

Charmander isn't bad at all. It and its evolutions ( Mainly Charizard) are iconic in the Pokemon franchize thanks to the Anime and because he was on the cover of two Pokemon games. But there are many good fire Pokemon, some even better.

Squirtle is the 2nd in popularity IMO. He is also famous because his last evolution is on the cover of Pokemon Blue and most people here probably grew up with the Red, Blue and Yellow games. His biggest drawback is that there are many good water Pokemons( Like Lapras and Dewgong and Gyarados).

I've played with all of them. My first playtrough IIRC was with Bulbasaur and I liked him a lot. My second was with Squirtle and I pretty much swept everything because he was overleveld, but I still felt a dent in my team and if I had a Lapras or at least a Dewgong it would have went easier/faster. But I still loved my Blastoise.
My playtrough at the moment is with Charmander. The first gym was a PAIN because I only had my Charmeleon and a Pikachu. At least I had Metal Claw. I finished the game, just trying to finish the Pokedex.

If I started a new playtrough I would go with Bulbasaur for old times sake.

I always had problems choosing my Hoenn and Kanto starters.

In the end my vote goes for Squirtle.

Years
I decided to go with Squirtle simply for it to get past Brock, and because back then I had a love of water Pokémon.

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
For me, playing Pokemon Blue, I picked Charmander. I nicknamed him Matches! I have no idea why I picked him, it was so long ago... I guess I thought he looked the coolest? Since then I've always liked Fire Pokemon as a type as well.

That is one nostalgic thing I will always hold on to... in every game, I obtain a Charmander and name it Matches. :)

Sirfetch’d

When I got my Pokemon Blue Version, I picked Squirtle because I though that I had to because Blastiose was on the cover, haha. I didn't regret it though because he was amazing throughout the game. I believe I picked Charmander the second time and then Bulbasaur the third. All 3 were really fun to use!

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I chose Charmander because it looked cool and was a fire type, in my young mind that meant it was tough! I played with Charmander in Yellow Version, then I chose it in FireRed. I like Squirtle as well, not too fond of Bulbasaur though.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
When I first got Blue I picked Bulbasaur every time because I absolutely loved its official art. Hell, I still do. Looking at it makes me really nostalgic. I can almost feel myself thinking that the old man in Viridian City was a Pokemon.

Nowadays I pick Squirtle though.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
I chose Charmander because I'm a huge fan of fire types, but even if you're not it's kind of hard to deny how awesome he/she is. Charizard, it's final evolve form, CAN FLY. I don't care what type it is, what its stats are, or what moves it can learn, the fact that it has wings and the power of flight automatically takes the WIN!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I chose Charmander in Red and FireRed the first time I played them (which I played them before their brother games, excluding Yellow since you don't choose anyway). In SoulSilver, I'm pretty sure I took Charmander, but I rarely play that far into HGSS to even get my Kanto starter.

It's safe to say I like playing with fire.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In Pokémon Blue, I chose Squirtle. I found it to be a very cute Pokémon, especially the way it made its noise and smiled at you. It just made want me want to give it a great, big hug and not let go of it, haha. In Pokémon FireRed, I ended up choosing Bulbasaur. Its sprite was just too adorable. I would've chosen Charmander, but since most of my friends chose this Pokémon, I decided to treat myself with something different~

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
In LeafGreen I choosed Bulbasaur. It wasn't even because Venusaur was the mascot, but I liked Bulbasaur when I first saw it.
I usually choose Squirtle other times.

KnockFan

Just a Beginner ...
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2013
When I played Red, I chose Bulbasaur. In fact, throughout playing Pokemon, I've always have chosen the Grass starters.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Who did you choose the first time? Bulbasaur.
Who would you choose next time you get this choice? Charmander.
In which generation did you first encounter this decision? Gen I,III or IV? Gen I.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
The first time I played Kanto games (both Blue and Leaf Green) I had picked Bulbasaur. Sadly, I never got too far when I had Bulbasaur in those playthroughs but I do remember that in Blue I picked him because I loved his sprite. Ended up with Squirtle the next time I played though because water type I guess?? I don't know. I've never picked Charmander though. I mean ... I do like Charmander but I suppose it's just not for me?? And if I have picked Charmander then I don't really remember very much about it. Perhaps that is who I would choose if I played a Kanto game again (after my current playthrough in which I chose Bulbasaur because Red).

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I only began playing Pokemon a couple of years ago, so that would be on Gen IV.
I chose Bulbasaur and went through several soft resets until I got a female that I liked. I still have her now, as a level 70-something Venusaur.

Back