• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Survey: Favorite GBA hack game!! ? (your opinion)

xboxmandude

Rom Hacker
Years
Well at first it was LIGHT PLATINUM... Until I found that I couldnt Battle Trainers again :P
So... I searched through hacks... looking for something that has the VS seeker.
Now Its ULTRA VIOLET... it Sticks to the ORIGINAL FR story...
With a few new things...
plus Im working on Updating the Graphics check my albums for Pics

Bug.Catcher.Nakata

Alert but not Alarmed
Years
It has been said already, but I really loved Pokemon Snakewood. I suppose that Pokemon games are often targeted to children, which is fine, and a lot of the hacks seem to be made by teenagers and stuff. Who knows, maybe Cutlerine is twelve years old, or a hundred, but either way the game was tricky, funny, weird, and very very interesting. It definitely renewed my interest in Pokemon.

xboxmandude

Rom Hacker
Years
In my opinion
There are many great hacks... Some better than others...
Most lack something...

Here are my picks...
FYI R/S/E sucks without a vs seeker... Just saying.

TOP HACKS...

Flora Sky
Possibly the best hack... All pokemon available, Day night effects, great tiles, good story, overall well made, supports trading...
Only the door sprites are to be fixed.

ULTRA VIOLET
If you ever felt fire red or leaf green was Incomplete, then this is the game for you...
With all Gen 3 pokemon available... Some new events, some new maps and new items makes the game
Feel complete...

LIGHT PLATINUM
best storyline I've seen from any hack... Lacks multiplayer... I haven't been able to fight trainers again either...

LIQUID CRYSTAL
GREATEST REMAKE Hack... If only it had the VS Seeker and Trading...

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
Ash Gray is my favorite. It wasn't completely finished when I played it (I'm not sure if it has been completed since) but it still was a great experience. It's everything that Pokemon Yellow should have been. The scripted events followed the plot of the anime very well, and overall it was the rom hack that I had the most fun with.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 10, 2018
You should play both Pokemon Fire Red Generations and Pokemon Furious Flames and both of them come from Pokecommunity's own
Suicune!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 13, 2024
Pokemon Flora Sky and Light Platinum are my favorites though I do like Dark Rising too

Years
For Me My Favorite hack in all is Pokemon Ruby Destiny Trilogy , Pokemon Flora Sky , Pokemon Light Platinum and Pokemon Snakewood (is i am right) Reason best graphics , Awesome Fakemons (in Ruby Destiny Trilogy), Storylines , best tile sets , Originality and The Music (for Ruby Destiny Trilogy)

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
There sate really only six hacks I can say I've completely enjoyed to the fullest, because the intelligence is put where it counts and it equals challenge and fun for me:

Yet Another Fire Red Hack
Touhoumon Emerald 1.8
Pokemon Vega (I can't even read Japanese either.)
Fire Red Omega
Scorched Earth
FireRedwood (no, not snakewood.)

Years
In order
1. Pokemon Flora Sky
2. Pokemon Dark Rising
3. Pokemon Glazed
4. Pokemon Shiny Gold
5. Pokemon Victory Fire & Resolute
6. Pokemon Ruby Destiny Series
7. Pokemon Fuligin

Years
I've played quite the variety of them, but these are the ones that I consider the best on my list:

Pokemon Identity
Pokemon Chrono
Pokemon Fulligin
Pokemon Liquid Crystal
Pokemon Life Guardians
Pokemon Glazed
Pokemon Snakewood

Bidoof Overlord

All hail Raticate
Years
My favorite would probably be... Pokemon Brown.
I respect coolboyman for Pokemon Prism too.

Pokemon Brown had an impressive Pokedex AND it could trade with Gen 2 games more than the other Gen 1 games. It had some great maps too.

Pokemon Crystal Dust feels like an actual remake of the actual Crystal. And it also has a great Pokedex. diegoisawesome really proved his reputation lived up to his name.

Pokemon Flora Sky, Light Platinum and Lilac were other favorites but just because of graphics.

Still waiting for a complete Liquid Crystal. That will be my favorite hack after it is completed.

Waiting for : Dark Violet, Red's Adventures, Skyblaze (not a hack)

Espeonage

Ninja Espeon
Years
I haven't been able to play Light Platinum, designwise, it gave to much too quickly and left me feeling daunted, because of the lack of simple linearity in the first half hour or so.

Flora Sky is pretty good, definitely well rounded. It had the opposite problem to Light Platinum in that there was very little variation in the way it played early and everything was explicitly told. That said it's the second best completed hack I've played.

Sienna was pretty decent of what I've played of it.

Fuligin could have very easily been my favorite hack ever, if the route design was better. I found that avoiding grass felt too easy and there no balance in level progression, kind of like trainer's pokemon were incredibly arbitrary in level and it didn't pace well. Those are minor details and the second problem goes in part to fix the first so I don't mind it too much.

Pokemon Brown is pretty epic, but as a mainstay (and the goto example for scholarly work on the rom hacking movement in academia) it should be very good.

My favorite completed hack is Snakewood. That said it incredibly arbitrary, yet, from a writers perspective it is incredibly well paced and made. There are very few loose ends which is a common trap in that type of game as it is explicit in what is required and what isn't. Anything that would be a problem adds to the charm of what is a quite snatch and grab hack. I find that I love it though.

However, and this is amazing considering it is only a single gym long, by far the best hack I have ever played is Pokemon Identity. And I am so sad that it will never be finished. This hack had me in the feels. This is the type of hack I'd love to be able to say I had the skill to make. And this is the type of experience I want to create in my games. It takes about two hours if you do everything you can in it, and about 40 minutes otherwise. But it is time very well spent.

Back