The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Announcements

Notices

Community Announcements Sometimes interesting things happen... it'd be a shame for you to miss them. Check here for new events and changes big and small around the community.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:09 PM
Vrai
can you feel my heart?

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
If it's going to continue to be affiliated with the site in the semi-official way it is now, then yes, it will have to.
PS! doesn't collect data about age, unlike the forums. there is literally no way that we are able to conclusively confirm or deny whether or not someone is of age from the server. this has been argued about a very long time ago on smogon, where it was implemented for a long time but ultimately reduced to a warning in the rules. it is unfeasible to actually implement coppa on the server. people have stated things like "i'm 12 and what is this" in a joking manner and have gotten banned, despite very clearly not actually being under the coppa limit. it is mentioned in the rules that people under the age of 13 should not be on the site. that is enough; we cannot justify any kind of ban legitimately, because there's no way we can tell if someone is younger than 13.

i refuse to ban people for saying "i'm 12 and what is this", or similar joking statements. i also refuse to ban people through implication that they are young (whether this implication is from the forums or not); there is no proof given on the PS! site, so i have no reason to ban them on said site.

you are not realizing the fact that we cannot determine whether or not someone is of age on PS!. there is no birthdate requirement, there is no other information taken; any bans would have zero logical basis and we should not ban willy-nilly because someone cracked a joke. it will be strongly suggested in the rules that people who are not yet 13 or older should not join. that is the best that can be reasonably done.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:17 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Nature: Timid
I'm not banning someone unless their age is actually less than 13 in their postbit or they explicitly state that it is and I see it. Not that I want to, but I'm obligated to now. We can't base age on actions, similar to how we can't base age on looks (I fall into that latter category, so I know how annoying it can be). I have seen 11 year olds on PC type and communicate better than people 18 and older. So unless there is proof, I'm not banning. Your crap typing, spelling, and actions may lead me to believe you're 12, but I'm not going to ban someone unless it's out in the open and I've seen it. Simple as.
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:46 AM
kuzronk

I find this rule to be really pointless. COPPA existed since 2003 or so and they took 10 years to use it. Most of the members there would have joined under 13 and his ban should just be until his 13th birthday and not permanent.
Most kids these days would have seen more worst things and will likely will just fake their age.

Am I fine(Joined when I was 12 if I remember correctly)?

Music|Anime
Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire.
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzronk View Post
I find this rule to be really pointless. COPPA existed since 2003 or so and they took 10 years to use it. Most of the members there would have joined under 13 and his ban should just be until his 13th birthday and not permanent.
Most kids these days would have seen more worst things and will likely will just fake their age.

Am I fine(Joined when I was 12 if I remember correctly)?
You're fine since you're now 15.
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
Once someone who was under 13 and was found out and banned actually turn 13 then the ban will be lifted from them if they contact us about it. I don't believe it was ever said that it was permanent.

To expand on Mac's post it only applies to those who are currently under the age of 13 and implicitly states that they are because none of us is going to take the time to hunt them down or anything. If you don't state it in public cool we'll never know. We honestly don't care if they fake their age as long as we don't find out their real one. Or something like that.
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:54 AM
kuzronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryPeaches View Post
Once someone who was under 13 and was found out and banned actually turn 13 then the ban will be lifted from them if they contact us about it. I don't believe it was ever said that it was permanent.

To expand on Mac's post it only applies to those who are currently under the age of 13 and implicitly states that they are because none of us is going to take the time to hunt them down or anything. If you don't state it in public cool we'll never know. We honestly don't care if they fake their age as long as we don't find out their real one. Or something like that.
Wouldn't it be better to unban with their birthdays they have on their profiles though?

Some people will also try to ask ages/Harrass users now as well (seen that on a ore site).

Music|Anime
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

The problem with that is that some people don't actually have their birthdays on their profile just their age. So while the admins can do that with some people they don't be able to do that with all.

Harassing members in any sort of way is against the rules. If someone is harassing them about their age they can report it. As for simply asking it's always up to the other person whether or not they want to answer the question.
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:59 AM
kuzronk

Some people do which would help this forum rep(some people would be ranting about how they are permanent banned despite them being a member for years.

Wouldn't staff ask people if they were under 13 due to bad typing though?

Music|Anime
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

It would be up to the admin's discretion then.

No because we've seen 20 yr old members with horrible typing. And vice versa we've seen 13 yr olds and such with amazing typing. Someone's typing ability isn't that great of a way to tell whether someone is under 13 or not.
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:05 AM
kuzronk

Quote:
It was be up to the admin's discretion then.

No because we've seen 20 yr old members with horrible typing. And vice versa we've seen 13 yr olds and such with amazing typing. Someone's typing ability isn't that great of a way to tell whether someone is under 13 or not.
It is great in some cases but I understand that teens/adults can type pretty bad sometimes.

What is the point of COPPA and why does it apply to non US users?

Music|Anime
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Hikamaru
it's too cold for you here
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
PC is run on a US-based server and therefore has to comply with US law. That's why it affects members who aren't even from the US.

Paired with AWsquared, Isaac and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
It is great in some cases but I understand that teens/adults can type pretty bad sometimes.

It's the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childre...Protection_Act

It applies to non US users because PC is hosted in the US.
Zach
Sniiiii~

Nature: Jolly
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
Hi PokéCommunity,

the staff have recently been discussing this forum's stance on COPPA, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. As a website hosted in the United States of America, we are by law required to enforce this.
I think that about sums up why it's getting enforced.
Fairy
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:46 PM
kuzronk

Why did COPPA just get used from now and not from the start though and will this forum be a bit more mature?

Music|Anime
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
No because we've seen 20 yr old members with horrible typing.
Is it bad that I can think of examples of this?
Quote:
Why did COPPA just get used from now and not from the start though and will this forum be a bit more mature?
They took it lightly because it wasn't as much enforced, but that was then, and this is now, and a lot can happen in 10 and a half years.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:07 PM
kuzronk

Did the govement contact the forum or did they just did it to be safe?

Music|Anime
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:21 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
The higher staff decided it was time to enforce COPPA to prevent us from getting into any serious trouble if it ever arises.
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

I don't recommend running around with your age set to 9, by the way. Someone will probably report you and if a staff member that doesn't know you're not 9 sees that report, they'll ban you and then that'd just lead to unnecessary complications.
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:46 PM
kuzronk

I thought that would be the case.
Just changed my age then but I'm likely not the only one who will change their age as a joke.

Music|Anime
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Well, then the joke will be on them if they get banned. lol I don't recommend it. It's one thing if you're an older well known member, like Logiedan, and you have the wrong age set. We know Logie isn't really 2, even if he wants to be. But someone we're not accustomed to seeing everyday or who is/has been on staff where staff would actually know their age, it'd be wise to just use your real (hopefully above 12) age.
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:11 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
Note also, that even if one jokes about being under 13 we're technically supposed to ban them.

So don't joke about your age, guys!
Old August 31st, 2013, 09:48 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
SO case in point unless you're 13 never ever ever touch the "year" option on the birthday thing.

Old September 1st, 2013, 06:18 PM
Progressive House
Macgyver Trainer

Nature: Calm
Is this per result of the new internet privacy doctrines that have recently been accepted.
Things like SOPA etc.?
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:43 PM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progressive House View Post
Is this per result of the new internet privacy doctrines that have recently been accepted.
Things like SOPA etc.?
As far as I know, SOPA, as the name suggests, refers strictly to online piracy and assorted activities, our policy shift pertains more to COPPA. Different legal jargon for different areas of concern. So no. But I'm not an Administrator, I could be mistaken.
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:20 PM
kuzronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progressive House View Post
Things like SOPA etc.?
SOPA didn't go though at all and COPPA has exicted due to 2002.

Music|Anime
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links