The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:54 AM
BadSamaritan
Its time for overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmaniac View Post
Got some work done on my game. So what I've added is events which change depending on time. When it's night you'll find that people will go home from outside and some new people may appear depending on the area. You'll also find houses which require you to knock the door or find you can't get in at all.
I've still got quite a bit of work to do yet, adding in a couple of people, changing the window skins and the day/night tones.
That's an excellent idea! Gamefreak brought back the day and night system for D/P but didn't use it for didly squat, so it's nice to see a game using its full potential.

I think visually, I'd go just a tad darker. The saturation looks pretty good to me.
Old August 31st, 2013, 04:30 PM
desbrina
Lightning Yellow Creator

Nature: Quiet
Not a pokemon screenshot, just something i'm using to familiarise myself with vx ace
Attached Thumbnails
Elder Thorn.png‎  

A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Old September 1st, 2013, 06:48 AM
Amiasek

Quote:
Originally Posted by desbrina View Post
Not a pokemon screenshot, just something i'm using to familiarise myself with vx ace
You're using water tile wrong. The tile that you are using is to make rivers/lakes have depth. Ypou should try to combine normal water tile with this to create prettier water.
Here's a link to tutorial which shows what I mean.
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:12 AM
desbrina
Lightning Yellow Creator

ok, this is the same but with the other water tile

Click image for larger version

Name:	Elder Thorn.png
Views:	41
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	69484

A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:19 AM
Peaverin

@Rayd12smitty: That's an excellent menu, I like it a lot. Good job man!
@Saving Raven: Never seen that before, it's a good idea, but I would make just clothes, because changing a player outfit completely seems too strange.
@carmaniac: Nice idea, adding new HM's makes the game have more options like that you're showing. Also, I liked the mapping, but adding a fog will make it look better.
@Rickyboy: That's absolutely amazing! I love this new battle scene.

I'll post some images soon
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Click image for larger version

Name:	XP3d.png
Views:	84
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	69576

I've been working on a 3D wrapper for XP again, this is the results of it currently
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:10 AM
zingzags
Creator or Pokemon Serenity

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansiec View Post
Attachment 69576

I've been working on a 3D wrapper for XP again, this is the results of it currently
How is it resource-wise, and is it something you are going to port over to essentials? But it looks good, just a lot of polygons :/
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingzags View Post
How is it resource-wise, and is it something you are going to port over to essentials? But it looks good, just a lot of polygons :/
Explain by resource wise? I'm assuming you either mean what does it require to run (it uses Irrlicht, OpenGL, and my own wrapper), or how much system resources (which is not really to heavy)

It should work in essentials without any custom port (or at this stage before I do some serious modifications to it)
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:44 AM
Aamelo
Reality Bender.

Some Very Early Screenshots from something I am working on.

NOTE: Everything on these Screens is still a HEAVY Work in Progress and the content you see might not be the final content. Sprites, Environments and Events might change from these screens into the Final Product! For Instance, the Hero Sprite in these sprites is not the final one.

After a while here is finally a first batch of Screenshots from my work in progress Pokémon Fan Game - Pokémon: Dawn of Souls, as previsourly stated, these are still a very work in progress and they are not even close to what the first version of the project to be released is going to be - something that may still take a very good hand of months to happen.

Here is a list by screens:
First Screen - A Prototype Title Screen, the final tittle screen will be much more complete and will actually have a Version Number instead of "Prototype" in the bottom. Background will also probably change. Logo inspired in the latest Mystery Dungeon Logo.
Second Screen - Lumitron Town - "The White Town of Beauty" where you speak to a lady outside the laboratory that quickly tells you that Professor Pamila (Name most likely subject to change) is always a busy man. (Image contains a few errors that will be fixed)
Third Screen - Part of Route 601, with a PlaceHolder Youngester that isn't still programmed in.
Fourth Screen - A Work in Progress Battle Screen as well, with actual backgrounds.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:23 AM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aamelo View Post
Spoiler:
Some Very Early Screenshots from something I am working on.

NOTE: Everything on these Screens is still a HEAVY Work in Progress and the content you see might not be the final content. Sprites, Environments and Events might change from these screens into the Final Product! For Instance, the Hero Sprite in these sprites is not the final one.

After a while here is finally a first batch of Screenshots from my work in progress Pokémon Fan Game - Pokémon: Dawn of Souls, as previsourly stated, these are still a very work in progress and they are not even close to what the first version of the project to be released is going to be - something that may still take a very good hand of months to happen.

First Screen - A Prototype Title Screen, the final tittle screen will be much more complete and will actually have a Version Number instead of "Prototype" in the bottom. Background will also probably change. Logo inspired in the latest Mystery Dungeon Logo.
Second Screen - Lumitron Town - "The White Town of Beauty" where you speak to a lady outside the laboratory that quickly tells you that Professor Pamila (Name most likely subject to change) is always a busy man. (Image contains a few errors that will be fixed)
Third Screen - Part of Route 601, with a PlaceHolder Youngester that isn't still programmed in.
Fourth Screen - A Work in Progress Battle Screen as well, with actual backgrounds.
I like the looks of everything - question, are you implementing all new classes? or are you planning on a different class as an alternative to "youngster"

as far as I can tell everything is a good start, the only problem is the shots with the big trees, they seem out of place; while everything has some sort of detail to it, the big trees look blurry and a different style than everything else

also in the top right shot, there is a lamp post (or w/e you call it) infront of a house, they tend to be near houses, not next to them, it would look better in a different position

I would also like to say I love your title screen, it is very appealing

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:17 PM
joeyhugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aamelo View Post

Is "Far From Finished a reference to VGA's A Hat In Time stream?
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:00 PM
JorgeAamelo
Reality Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
Is "Far From Finished a reference to VGA's A Hat In Time stream?
Yep, first thing that came into my mind while doing the temporary Title Screen. Fits better than "Prototype" or "Work In Progress" Only.

Proud Lover of the Brazilian Girl - Annaicat
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Heads up!! Non-Pokémon.

Part of a college project, we're learning C++ to make something, our choice.
I decided to go with a Text Based RPG, so here it is so far.

For this, I've decided on the story approach already.

You'll be playing a Demon from the Underworld. Gender and Element is your choice.
Your mission is to restore darkness and shadows to the world, ever since heroes defeated the darkness many years ago.
You'll be coming across many obstacles, and tough battle to restore darkness to the world.

I'm think , when this is complete, to release a public version here on PC, if people want a TBRPG that is... :l
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:38 PM
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varion View Post
Heads up!! Non-Pokémon.

Ooh another C++ user! With how complicated C++ can be, making anything with it is an impressive accomplishment. Feel free to ask me for advice with programming if you need it. And good luck!
Old October 30th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

THUD!

Happy Halloween everyone.

Credits
System:Maruno, Poccil & Flameguru for their starter kit.
Graphics: Dewitty, Minorthreat, Alucus, Kyledove, PrinceLegendario, Erma96, Pokemoneclipse, BoOmxBiG, teaddiction, niknaks93, Light-PA, Lotusking, Tyranitardark, SirAzria.
Special Thanks: Cilerba, Chesu, F.M.P, Wichu, ~JV~, The Calis Projects Team, Abnegation, Murcurysky and everyone who supports this game.

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old October 30th, 2013, 04:33 AM
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Quote:
Heads up!! Non-Pokémon.

You'll be playing a Demon from the Underworld. Gender and Element is your choice.
Your mission is to restore darkness and shadows to the world, ever since heroes defeated the darkness many years ago.
You'll be coming across many obstacles, and tough battle to restore darkness to the world.

I'm think , when this is complete, to release a public version here on PC, if people want a TBRPG that is... :l
cool man! I have a real soft spot for text based adventure games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
THUD!

Happy Halloween everyone.

Credits
System:Maruno, Poccil & Flameguru for their starter kit.
Graphics: Dewitty, Minorthreat, Alucus, Kyledove, PrinceLegendario, Erma96, Pokemoneclipse, BoOmxBiG, teaddiction, niknaks93, Light-PA, Lotusking, Tyranitardark, SirAzria.
Special Thanks: Cilerba, Chesu, F.M.P, Wichu, ~JV~, The Calis Projects Team, Abnegation, Murcurysky and everyone who supports this game.
Nice! great enviornmental detal :D

----

Got my new enemy working for my other project: Nax of the Universe

Im really liking how the game is shaping up. combat is fast and fluid and even the graphics are coming together.
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

That looks amazing DarkDoom!

SSStylish!!!

Old October 30th, 2013, 09:27 AM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Heads up!! Non-Pokémon.

This is a college project? This is all very basic.. cout and cin maybe a if/if else loop, some key press checks doesn't really seem college level, but anyways its a good start hope it works out for you

Looks really cool, love the tiles and the character sprite
Old October 30th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Java's Missingno.
The Electric Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDoom3000 View Post
Spoiler:
Got my new enemy working for my other project: Nax of the Universe

Im really liking how the game is shaping up. combat is fast and fluid and even the graphics are coming together.
I love the art style you've got going here, and gameplay looks nice and smooth. (Also, the "Damn!" and "Crazy!" indicators got me to grin for quite a while. )

Old October 31st, 2013, 08:51 AM
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
Happy Halloween everyone!

Last edited by Rayquaza.; November 2nd, 2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:34 AM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post
Happy Halloween everyone!

I like the idea, a lot of people are probably doing something like this, but I feel like the trees should be more orange, or something to set the mood and set it apart from normal every day run of the mill trees

other than that its a pretty cool little addition/idea/side quest/picture

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old November 4th, 2013, 02:53 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCharizard View Post
This is a college project? This is all very basic.. cout and cin maybe a if/if else loop, some key press checks doesn't really seem college level, but anyways its a good start hope it works out for you

Looks really cool, love the tiles and the character sprite
It was the first assignment of the year.
The idea was a make a basic text adventure with 6-10 different areas you can travel to.

So basically yes, couts and cins and if/if else.
Old November 9th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Menu WIP

Just a mock up of the menu WIP. I will be adding a section for a clock, and a bag quick view (current ball count etc) in the left and right. The clock will open up the options menu, and the other will open up the bag.

The center button with the player OW sprite, will open up a sub menu for options like Pokedex, Trainer Card, and Save.

I want to have the selected button be brighter and have the icon animated, maybe have the name of what option is selected written at the bottom of the screen, such as the name of the Pokemon, or "Player" if the center is selected as in the example above.

It is all subject to change, since this is a mock up I would love some feedback on what I could change, etc.

Last edited by Worldslayer608; November 9th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old November 10th, 2013, 01:53 AM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
Menu WIP

Just a mock up of the menu WIP. I will be adding a section for a clock, and a bag quick view (current ball count etc) in the left and right. The clock will open up the options menu, and the other will open up the bag.

The center button with the player OW sprite, will open up a sub menu for options like Pokedex, Trainer Card, and Save.

I want to have the selected button be brighter and have the icon animated, maybe have the name of what option is selected written at the bottom of the screen, such as the name of the Pokemon, or "Player" if the center is selected as in the example above.

It is all subject to change, since this is a mock up I would love some feedback on what I could change, etc.

IMHO That looks amazing, very new and different. I like how you thought outside the box somewhat literally.
Old November 10th, 2013, 03:00 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

I always thought the point of a GUI element was that you could see it. That first version in particular is really quite dark. Also, which two Pokémon are going to be going into a double battle? I'm assuming the one at the top is the lead Pokémon.

How are you going to access the party screen? Please don't say you're getting rid of it, because seeing the information panels for all the Pokémon in your team at once (without having to hover over them) is very useful. And if you're keeping it, is it going to be arranged in hex form too for consistency?

I'm not keen on the idea of having to press a button again to get access to the other pause menu stuff (Dex, Card, etc.).

Sponsored Links