The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:55 PM
voltianqueen
WITH SEAWATER

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
When I was younger, I pretty much wanted only male Pokemon (with the exception of my beloved Scizor). Nowadays, I don't really care all that much, though many of my playthrough Pokemon are still male. For competitive, I actually seem to prefer to have my toughest Pokemon be female (Salamence, Durant, etc). In the end, though, it doesn't matter too much!

I actually find the idea of Pokemon who most people think look female, like Ninetales and Glaceon, being male really lovely. It's like they're elegant or something. I also find Pokemon that people seem to consider male, like Salamence and Manectric, to be really cool as females. I dunno, to me it's sort of like somebody saying that there can't be male Poodles or female Dobermans :P
Old August 6th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
I love female Pokemon you sexist jerk D: Oh God, please realize I'm kidding. I can never tell with this forum how people take things.

I like female characters outside of Pokemon in general, that's eventually the direction I went in growing up? *shrug* I was also sold after I had a mostly female team with attract, playing again my friend who had mostly males (for what I assume is the same reason most of you like males. "Eww girls" and all).

Having said that, I used to catch Pokemon with genders that I felt made sense depending on outward appearance (Machop - Male, Clefairy - Female), and if it didn't matter (Rattata, Poochyena, etc), whatever I caught I caught. Drawing, on the other hand, I default to girls. What can you do?

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old August 6th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Roh

Nature: Rash
I used to be like this. Not so much anymore. My Golem is a girl, though I won't lie, when Oddish searching, it had to be a girl. No way was I going to have a male vileplume, it's too cute.

I always thought of it like this.

If I was ever in a real battle and someone made a comment about my Golem, saying something like, "I bet he's too weak to defeat my argh blagh blargh," then I could say something in return like, "You're wrong, because she's going to kick your ass."

It was also just the fact that I had been catching Geodude left and right looking for the best nature and she finally had it. I wasn't going to complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
Honest question: why do you think you have this attitude? 'Cause I used to be like this when I was younger, but can't really explain to myself why I felt this way. Nowadays, I don't care in the slightest what gender they are, but for a while I definitely did and can't explain why at all. It's very, very weird.
I read that in Sid's voice .___.

Last edited by Roh; August 6th, 2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 11th, 2013, 03:11 AM
Fiery Dash

Is it really a problem to have male Bellossom?
Because I have two of them actually...

Last edited by Fiery Dash; August 11th, 2013 at 05:23 AM. Reason: punctuation fix
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:24 PM
*Icecold*
Bow down to Queen Meowstic

Nature: Hasty
I don't catch only male or female Pokemon. I don't see why I should...?

I like to think up proper personalities for every pocket monster I catch and gender plays a big part on imagining my Pokemon as individual beings and not just pixels.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Blastin'Tyruntz
No one can understand, the pain that's inside

Nature: Gentle
I am NOT POKE-SEXIST which led to theseresults:

M Lopunny
M Happiny
F Machamp
F Gollem
F Aggron
F Lucario
F Dugtrio
F Darmanitan

And my most loved crossdresser pokemon of all times:

F Skuntank i mean girl, get the **** out of my pokeball and go into a shower!

It's super-effective!
Paired to peopleZ
Old August 17th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Shizzable
The Derpiest One Of All

Nature: Jolly
I never really payed attention to the gender, on some playthroughs I end up having an all-female team which is kinda weird.
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:02 PM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
The only generation during which I wanted as few female Pokémon on my team as possible was Gen 2, because in those games the gender was determined by the attack stat, and males were stronger. Once Gen 3 made the gender its own characteristic, I stopped caring.

It also doesn't matter to me when it comes to breeding: in every game, I have a Ditto as a permanent resident at the daycare center.

Friend codes:
Electric-type Safari: 4468-2370-5617 (Electrode - Pikachu - Galvantula) | Dark-type Safari: 1134-8222-3179 (Nuzleaf - Cacturne - Liepard)
PM before adding. If you don't mention which code you added, I will NOT add you back.

PROTIP: If your "video game" can be replicated using only MS Word, then it's not a game, and you have no business calling yourself an indie game developer. Just saying... to no one in particular.
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Chocolate™
Awesome Dragon

Nature: Adamant
When I was a kid and was playing Fire Red, I had 110 pokemon all that were male. Back in the old grades we were all like 'Ew! It's a girl.' I was always scared that somebody would come to my house, see a female pokemon and then I'll be the laughing stock till the end of high school.

But right now I don't care about gender much but for some of my favorite pokemon like Alakazam I generally prefer them to be Male.
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Arca09

I admit I used to mind when I was younger.(there used to be rumors that males leveled up faster)

Now its mainly based on what makes sense to me. Like having a female machamp just seemed weird to me and a male jinx... Well you get what I mean. xD
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...

Nature: Calm
It's not so much my preference, but what kind of attacks they specialize in. If they're physical attackers, then they have to be male. If they're special attackers, then they're female. Except for Sceptile, for some reason I just can't see it being a female. Weird...

PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:28 AM
morrison

Nature: Quiet
i dont giove a poodoo.

i even name them neutrally or so...

Pokemon Hardmode Sapphire Comic
starts as b/w but turns colourful a couple of pages later
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:36 PM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Nature: Careful
Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
I nickname everything, and as you can imagine, some nicknames only work for a specific gender. And I nickname the same Pokémon with the same names in every Pokémon game I play. For example, my Bulbasaur has always been "Treetop" since I bought Yellow, but that's a gender-neutral nickname. I nickname my female Dratini "Yoyo" and huge props to you if you know where that character is from.

For aesthetics, there are some Pokémon I'll only catch in a specific gender. Like male Machop, or female Gothita.

I know a few people have said they want their teams to be like in-game trainers who have all of their Pokémon a specific gender. As a ROM hacker, I can tell you why. There's a byte that sets the gender of a Trainer within the game data, and the byte also affects the gender of all of the Trainer's Pokémon (unless he/she has a gender exclusive). This is no longer true as of 5th gen, where you can see NPC's with mixed gender teams. With some NPC's in 5th gen I think it's random what gender every Pokémon is.

As a little kid I used to worry what people (other boys, really) would think if I had a lot of female Pokémon. Same thing if I played any game with a female avatar. Long story short, I've played most Pokémon games with the female player character because I usually hate the clothes that the boy wears. In BW and BW2, to me it's the opposite, and I prefer Hilbert and Nate's outfits.

I preordered Y and I'll play that first before I buy X. I haven't decided what gender I will be for Y, but I'll be the opposite of that in X.

For most games I play, the specific skills can affect which gender I choose. For example, in Fire Emblem Awakening, the female avatar gets Galeforce, so I play as her. And I have an all-female team because of that one ability that breaks the game, and this game is ridiculously hard anyway. In Harvest Moon, I usually have two save files (one with boy, one with girl).
Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:37 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
There's only two - no, three - cases when I'll care about the gender of a Pokemon. One is that I need a specific gender to get an evolution I want (say male Ralts, or female Combee). Another is breeding purposes, although that's not too usual when Ditto is viable.

And the last case is with the Nidoran lines, given they're almost the same Pokemon in some sense. In a recent poison monotype run it occurred to me that I always went with Nidoking's line, so I actively went and got myself the female-only species.

Otherwise, I don't care about the gender for general play. Sometimes weird genders (for us anyways) can be amusing. =p I'm more likely to reject something if it say had the wrong ability.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
The BBS Forums!
Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!
Home of Wynaut? Webzine; looking for contributors!
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:32 AM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
I was once literally addicted to Dawn, so when I played Diamond for the first time, I wanted to have her exact Pokémon. My party needed to be exactly like hers; the moves, the nature, and the gender. As of today, I don't really care about the gender, except if I'm planning on nicknaming a Pokémon with a female name and I get a male Pokémon instead.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:09 AM
xxkaylabby
cake the cat
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
pokemon gender doesn't really matter to me. it seems harder to find female pokemon rather than male pokemon.

|Theme|
|My Gallery|
|Friend Code|
|Trade Thread|

Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:19 AM
Tsutarja

Pokémon gender doesn't matter to me either, but I did notice (and like) the fact that my starter Pokémon in Black 2 was female, I guess by the luck of the draw, and it's the only time I've ever gotten a female starter, too.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:28 AM
lineofdeath
...overuser of the ellipsis...

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to lineofdeath
imo females are better because of breeding
also in game i like to have it where as physical type pokemon are male and special type pokemon ae female(fore stuff like meditite, it dependson the first listed type)

peace is key...

hey guys... check my trading shop...
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=305409
..........................................................................................................................................they call me red.http://www.pokecommunity.com/signatu...ic362557_3.gif
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:42 AM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

To me, it doesn't really matter what gender my Pokémon are. Some Pokémon are supposed to have a certain gender, but I just don't let it bother me if they don't. Haha. To be honest, all that matters to me are their stats, abilities, movepools, and how well they're able to perform in battles. (:
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:30 AM
Flushed
down the drain.
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
When facing dat Miltank in HGSS, it matters haha.

I usually don't notice what gender my Pokemon is until I catch it. If you asked me the genders of all the Pokemon in my team at any given point there's no way I'd be able to answer correctly. So it doesn't really make a difference to me.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:55 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I tend to base the Pokémon I use around their nature and ability more than what their gender may be. The only time gender really has any importance is when it fits my needs, such as for breeding or evolutionary purposes.

I have been, and to some extent still am, guilty for gender-matching though. If a Pokémon looks more like a female, then I typically try and catch a female and vice versa. I've also noticed that I don't really like it when I have one gender dominating my entire party. Although, that doesn't necessarily mean I try to keep it equally balanced. for example, if I have four male Pokémon in my party, then I try and catch two female Pokémon to round it off.

So I guess while gender does still play a role for the Pokémon I catch, it's not so important as it might have been to me once upon time whereas natures and abilities are.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 06:47 AM
Denny Hamlin
The S o u l Survivor

Nature: Brave
I really don't see anything wrong with female Pokemon, or any gender for that matter. I used a female Samurott and it's extremely powerful. In my White team 4/6 of my team are female and I found them all to be very useful and stable.

Pokemon are Pokemon in my eyes. I don't like to discriminate Pokemon because of their gender roles. Attract does play a role in some cases but hey, it'll go away eventually. :P
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:21 AM
LardassEd

Just recently i started breeding to get a hippowdon. I wanted the female one because the females are black and look much cooler, kinda like a shiny version. So i breeded until i got the perfect nature female hippowdon egg.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:50 PM
Lucky1Yena
Just some guy

I only really care about a Pokémon's gender when breeding, using Attract or a Pokémon's ability with the same effect, facing an opponent I /know/ has such a thing, or when a gender-specific evolution is needed (Burmy and Combee, anyone?)
Patiently awaiting final versions of these hacks: TheJohto Legacy series - starting with the most complete one, the Christmas hack, Pokémon Liquid Crystal, Pokémon Crystal Dust, Pokémon DarkViolet, Pokémon Prism
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Isseubnida
I live for the applause

Yep, I get pretty annoyed when I have a "Masculine" Pokemon as female (Machamp, etc.), and the other way around (Male Gardevoir). I still only care about it for breeding, however.

Have you ever seen a chicken strip?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here