• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Final Days Of Dream World

Years
I just began playing Black, and was saddened to learn that I will only be able to enjoy the game fully for the next five months.

According to the Global Link website, the current Dream World feature for Gen 5 will be shut down on Tuesday, January 14, 2014, shortly after the release of
X and Y. A new Global Link is scheduled to be launched in October, along with the release of X and Y. Achievements and records are promised to be transferred over to the new system.

My question is, are people still using dream world? I would like to get as many berries and dream world pokemon as I can over the next few months. I'm looking for people to add to my dream world map so I can water berries, get more dream points, etc. I literally just started playing the game so I'm still learning how to do everything. Also, I'm sorry if there's already a thread covering this! I did check and wasn't able to find one.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
they shouldnt shut it down. they make millions and millions of dollars from the pokemon franchise.. and leaving the dreamworld open for older generation players would be really nice. there closing it down so people WILL go and buy x & y.. not like we wont anyway. and its not like keeping the server open for us would leave them out of pocket.. just seems a little unfair IMO.

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2021
they shouldnt shut it down. they make millions and millions of dollars from the pokemon franchise.. and leaving the dreamworld open for older generation players would be really nice. there closing it down so people WILL go and buy x & y.. not like we wont anyway. and its not like keeping the server open for us would leave them out of pocket.. just seems a little unfair IMO.

I strongly doubt that shutting down the server has anything to do with trying to increase X and Y sales. It simply has to do with having to maintain (i.e. pay) a server infrastructure for just a small subset of people who will continue to play Generation V _AND_ like doing the dreamworld.
Yes, it kind of sucks for those that don't wish / can't upgrade to XY, but the vast majority of customers won't be affected.

My suggestion to the OP is to 'enjoy' the dream world while it is still there. It's quite likely that you'll get tired of it's tedious repetitive nature and shallow mini games long before it goes down.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
I think the reason that they have to shut down the Gen V DW server,
that is because of expensive maintenace;
Computers and servers are mostly kept in cold areas,
to keep it from overheating etc...
These servers have to be powered for twenty four hours,
because DW is for the whole worldwide and different places have different timezones.
So that certainly is a huge budget.
Don't forget that they also have to maintain servers for GTS for Gen IV and V.

So if Gen VI's DW and GTS are online together with the aforementioned servers,
it will cause GF a lot of money. Therefore they have to close the DW for Gen V.

I understand it, though I think it's still quite unfair for non-Japanese versions BW2 players,
since our access for BW2 DW were (at least) three months later than those who play the original Japanese versions.

Years
I too just started playing round December and only just last month connected my ds to WiFi main reason I didnt want to was because I would have to Lower my security to WEP which I don't like to do but I really wanted to use the full features of the game and now its closing down, oh my luck.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
I've already milked the Dream World for all it is worth, So it doesn't bother me in the slightest whether they keep it up after X/Y come out or shut it down for good.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Sad news. This means all specials are going to disappear soon. Tough luck for future Pokémon fans. I do hope the Dream World for X & Y is pretty cool, though.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I'm glad it's going because I'm sick of these DW specific trades on the Trade Thread. I don't have the time to trade to picky people. >_>

Years
I've utilized the Dream World before, but most of the time it was to get the awesome C-gear skins that came out, though I have used it for other reasons as well, such as to collect new Pokémon and to play minigames.

Years
Given my wifi and DS Lite were incompatible, I never got to use this thing so it won't hurt me that much. Can't wait what the Dream World or whatever 6th Gen has will have in store for us.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've used this feature maybe once or twice before, but didn't really use it after that. It's quite a hassle to go on the computer just to utilize the Dream World. It would've been much better if they allowed us to experience it from the DS directly, somehow. It's kind of sad to see this go, but I don't think I'll miss it too much. They'll probably replace it with something that's equal, haha.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I have used it a few times...but seeing as there was only two routes available at the time for catching pokémon and I didn't like most of the ones I found, I never fully utilised it. I am however, sad that I'll never be able to get a Blaziken with Speed Boost on my own. The fact that I needed a new account every time I replayed Black also irritated me to no end.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Whilst I don't like the Dream World at all, I am upset that it's closing down simply because it's cutting off a relatively big feature of the Gen V games from the people who still play and enjoy them. It's also making me wonder where we'll get new hidden ability Pokémon from for Gen V battles, but I assume they'll have thought about that when deciding to shut it down... hopefully? I'm not bothered about not being able to play it myself, but I am disappointed on behalf of the people that do use it.

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
actually, if there going to shut it down, they need to give out dw unova starters, I NEED CONTRARY SNIVY

EJ Nero

Water forever
Years
I've never really used the dream world. I may check it out to see what the fuss is about, but it is somewhat sad that it'll be closing down. Oh well.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
As long they make a successor to the Dream World feature for Pokémon X and Y with more content or mini-games, I don't really mind at all - it's a bit sad for the people who still play the B/W games or just starting playing those games and find out that'll be shut down. It was a great feature overall but I didn't really like the idea of special ability Pokémons included with it - I don't have Wifi myself but I can see some people getting annoyed or irritated by picky people over these kind of trades.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
To be honest, I only used the Dream World to obtain new Pokemon just to complete my dex. It wasn't anything special, but it was nice to bond with your Pokemon. I'm kinda sad to see it go, but I'm actually looking forward to what they have in store for Global Link in XY. I'm actually curious about that.

Back