Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 31st, 2013, 12:57 PM
bajuwa

Advertise here
Essentially, I'm making a program that will store information about the pokemon in the parties you want to create.

It's really early on right now, so it focuses on picking pokemon and their moves, and then analyzing the types in your party (both of the pokemon and the moves they are using).
With this information it will 'analyze' which types your party is strong/weak to, taking in to account the types of your pokemon (and what moves they are weak/strong to) as well as the types of the moves (and which types they are weak/strong against)

There is a LOT more planned, involving EVs, abilities, natures, breeding plans, etc, but I'm lacking a bit on the analysis part.

Can you guys tell me what you would like to see from an automated analysis?
What do you take in to account when making your party?
What calculations (if any) do you do, that you would rather have a computer automatically do for you?

Edit:
For more information on the program I'm talking about, which is called 'PokePP' for 'Pokemon Party Planner' have a look at these links to get an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish:
Progress Blog: pokepp.wikidot.com
Feedback Page: pokepp-feedback.wikidot.com

Last edited by bajuwa; August 31st, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:47 PM
Flushed
Tomato Soup
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
From an automated program I think maybe a couple results of Pokemon that can be particularly difficult for your team would be helpful. Obviously not every single Pokemon of a certain type, but perhaps Pokemon based on their moves, abilites, etc. that could be trouble.

When making a party I try to look for diversity. Trying to cover all the weaknesses and have a balanced team is, I think, essential in battling. And with a program like this, it'd be fun to try and find a "perfect" team.
Old August 31st, 2013, 04:39 PM
bajuwa

Thanks for the suggestion!
And it was that concept of 'the perfect team' that got me interested in this, hopefully it will actually work out that way XD

Also: I edited the first post to include a couple links to some of the online pages I'm setting up, hopefully these can be useful =P
(though you'll have to copy/paste as I'm too new to the forum)
Developing a program for Pokemon gamers, have a look and give it a try!
http://pokepp.wikidot.com
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:32 PM
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

Really when I am building a party I don't put much thought into it other than, "oh I like this Pokemon, so I'll use it on this playthrough". Yes, sometimes my teams are unbalanced, but it is just in-game so I can still be successful with a team of Pokemon that I just like rather than a team that I strategically planned.

"By force of will!"
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:39 PM
yeahhhboiii

Nature: Relaxed
Obviously well rounded teams, but I like to pick teams with members that have high Defense and SpDefense stats. Most of the NPC's pokemon are under leveled, so you can take them out easy even with pokemon that don't have too high of an Attack or SpAttack stat. Some examples of good team Pokemon(in my opinion) are,
Scrafty, Cloyster, Skarmory, Leafeon, Umbreon, Dusknoir, Mr. Mime, and Hitmonlee
If I were to re-do my 5th gen team, it would most likely contain:
Serperior, Skarmory, Dusknoir, Scrafty, Umbreon, and Mr. Mime.
Also, a wide variety of attacks (even ones that aren't STAB) is critical for facing the Elite 4 and the gyms.
White 2 FC: 3182 7820 3103
X FC: 3024 6153 4921
Always looking for Ditto of significant natures and 31 IVs.
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:41 PM
Hikamaru
I have not had my teeth whitened!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I mainly like to use Pokemon I like, but also ones that are good in battle by having good abilities, movepools and such. My teams were heavily unbalanced back when I first played Pokemon games especially Ruby because I doubled up on types too much. Thank god I learned that lesson when making teams in future games. I also like to try and get every strength and weakness covered.
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:56 PM
PokemonCollector-N
Pokemon Collector

Nature: Naughty
Honestly for me, it's mostly about aesthetics. I just pick Pokemon that I think look cool and go with them. Though, I do sometimes go by the Pokemon I like for their backgrounds/typing, etc. Normally I just like the cool looking ones on my team because I'm rather shallow in that sense.
"Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it is stupid." -Einstein

"What if Canada was real?"

Magikarp? More like Magiking.
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:03 PM
bajuwa

Haha, so a lot of people like aesthetics then? That's one of the reasons I included the sprites in my program for the visual appeal, but right now its only using the latest sprites. So an additional question for those going for 'looks':
If you were to use my program, would you prefer images that are from the latest game? or their 'original' game sprites?
For example do you want the original, pixel based charmander from reb/blue, or the newer, higher resolution sprite used in 5th gen games?
Old September 1st, 2013, 01:31 AM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
Types. Mainly.

Side factors include, Pokémon appearance and gender.
T!M
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:45 AM
Dark Zapdos
Arose from Darkness
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I never have the same type, but other than that I am not fussed
Add my FC: 2981-6333-4535 pm yours so I can add you back thanks
FIRE TYPE Safari with, Braixen Charmeleon and Ponyta
Old September 1st, 2013, 12:30 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
I just choose whatever Pokemon I feel like using while trying to have a balanced team. It doesn't work all the time (in fact more often than not I seem to have a big weakness in my team) but as long as I have fun in game I really don't care what my team ends up to be. Just means the game is a little more difficult and that's fine!
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:40 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
I usually start off with pokemon that I like the most, and then try to compliment their types with pokemon that I'm overall-okay with.

Example in White, I knew before playing that I wanted Samurott, Whimsicott, and Excadrill. I then balanced out my team with a fire-type, electric-type, and dark-type, none of which conflicted with my other pokemon.
3DS FC: 4914-3495-9756 (IGN: Shrew)
Tradelist
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:32 PM
bajuwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I usually start off with pokemon that I like the most, and then try to compliment their types with pokemon that I'm overall-okay with.

Example in White, I knew before playing that I wanted Samurott, Whimsicott, and Excadrill. I then balanced out my team with a fire-type, electric-type, and dark-type, none of which conflicted with my other pokemon.
I tend to do that too, I'll have my favourites that I'll just have to have (even if they aren't too good), and then I have to fill in the rest of the team to cover the holes.
That's one of the things I made my program do first as I noticed I do it manually a lot, get farther in the game to find I have a big ol' hole I missed that only appeared in Elite Four (or battle arena)
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:38 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Looks and stats.

Must have a Fire Pokémon (a good one, can't play DP without Infernape really).

Must have a Dark Pokémon if applicable.

I usually use offensive Pokémon.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:54 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I look for their looks and their movepool before deciding putting it on my team.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:01 AM
bajuwa

some ppl are mentioning movesets as a big factor. would abilities that pair with movesets be a big factor? for example I like to use an aggron with heavy metal ability(doubles aggrons weight) and heavy slam (power increases the heavier the pokemon). would this combo override a pokemon with a better moveset or movepool? (I have him in my party for other reasons too since steel is the best ranked defense so far and since his defensive skills are so high, but for the sake of this question assume that moves and abilities arethe only factor in choosing)
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:47 AM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Nature: Timid
I don't put too much stock into it, honestly. I just make sure that I'm using Pokemon I want to use and that it comes out balanced. Sometimes I might use two Pokemon of one type if there are some Pokemon I really, really want to use, but that's not too often. So yeah. It's basically just balancing out a team of Pokemon that I like and/or have wanted to use for a while.

paired to crono
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
Darkroman

Nature: Adamant
Since I don't really do competitive battling, I base my choices off of most advantageous types toward gym leaders and the elite four + champions (most of the time that leaves bug, grass, poison, and ghost type pokemon off my list). I'm mainly offensive so I can just the sweep the NPC's pokemon.

Fire, electric, water/ice, rock/fighting/ground, psychic, and dark are my usual choices. That leaves out flying, dragon, normal, and steel.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:47 AM
xxkaylabby
cake the cat
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
honestly, i never put any thought in. if it's a pokemon that i like or it's cute, i'll take them and train them to be powerful.

|Theme|
|My Gallery|
|Friend Code|
|Trade Thread|

Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:11 AM
Spinosaurus

In a casual playthrough

1)Must like the design - First and foremost. I'm not very picky when it comes to Pokemon, but for some reason I'm not into the usual...popular Pokemon. Their design bore me. Though they it's not limited to just them. I normally like the simplest designs (Pidgey, Krabby, Seaking, Pineco, Tauros, Surskit, Numel, Hippodown, etc) but I won't say no to creativity (Ludicolo, Hariyama, Dusclops, Tropius, Sharpedo, Trapinch family, Poliwhirl/Wrath, Farfetch'd, Dunsparce, Forretress, Croagunk etc) or plain goofy ones (Exeggutor, Weezing, Electrode, Garbodor, etc.)
2) Balance - What can this Pokemon do to my team? What support will it provide? Can it cover the others' weakness? Is their weakness a problem? Basically, it gotta provide a good balance. (But not necessarily.)
EDIT: I'd like to add that I don't plan my team ahead of the playthroughs. I assemble my team as the playthrough goes on. If I stumble across a Pokemon I'd like to use, I'll most likely will.

I don't battle competitively anymore but team building WAS my strength. Not anymore. I have a thread that includes my thought process while making a competitive team, so search my thread history for that. It's called Beauty in the Desert I believe.

Last edited by Spinosaurus; September 3rd, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
TheBlindedAdventurer

I take into account the typing of my Pokemon, and what moves it can learn to counter its weaknesses, for example my Ampharos knows Fire Punch, Discharge, Power Gem and Signal Beam. I also take into account what Pokemon other people use most often, and how to counter them, for example, I have no Dragon types on my team, but my high-Speed-high-Attack-Ice-Punch-Weavile totally decimates any Dragon type. I also take into account whether my Pokemon can inflict status ailments like Burn, Paralysis and Sleep (Using Toxic to inflict bad poison is annoying as well, after a few turns the poison starts inflicting massive damage.) To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, my current team consists of Emboar, Ampharos, Lilligant, Lucario, Gliscor and Weavile.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:58 AM
Hoenn
Elite
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I sometimes just go in blindly and if I encounter a Pokémon on a route that for some reason I suddenly want on my team, I'll just catch it and use!
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:08 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Type is the key one for me. If possible, I like dual types so that I can get two STABs, and no overlaps at all. I'd rather have a team of six single-type critters than a team of six double-typers with overlap. Partially it's because of me being anal, but I really like as much diversity as possible. After that comes base stats: I'd rather have stronger Pokemon than weaker Pokemon (except legendaries, which I don't really use at all). After that, I'm not really fussed, but a good movepool wouldn't go amiss, and though it's nice to like the Pokemon that I'm using from an aesthetic standpoint, it's not always a necessity for me.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:42 PM
Arlo

My goal is to have a party such that, for any type of opponent:
  • I have at least one pokemon that is offensively strong to it (preferably STAB) and at least defensively neutral, and preferably defensively strong.
  • I have no more than two pokemon who are defensively weak to it.
Beyond that, for an ideal party, I want a fast, powerful lead with a free switch move and at least one tank/wall/cleric. That's not as crucial though - type matchups are the most important part, by far.

At this point, I don't really stop and think about it. I've done it so much for so long that it's pretty much automatic. But the way I used to do it was to put together what I thought was a good party, then to just run through all the types and check to make sure that whatever I faced, I had at least one that was offensively strong and no more than two who were defensively weak.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:13 PM
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
It's difficult to choose an ideal party in a first run through, but I try to pick as much diversity as possible to not get doubled easily by one attacking type. I also have to pick a good Water and Flying type Pokemon for Surf and Fly, respectively.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here