The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:07 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Just a small discussion on who here thinks we need new tools and how we should integrate them.

Here are my thoughts:
  • A new RGSS player - This would be optimal because we can easily integrate new encryptions, handle window events, graphics, audio, ect. with more capability than current RGSS player can handle
  • A new map editor - one that is free, and maybe has the sole purpose of making pokemon games easier (This gives us many optimization possibilities)
  • PBS editor - Simple enough, it should Edit PBS files like the current "Editor.exe" but should have an easier interface to use.

State your thoughts on how you think these would be better/worse than our current set of tools.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:30 AM
joeyhugg

You would have to take this up with Enterbrain. Us here have no say whatsoever in the development of the RPG Makers.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:41 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
You would have to take this up with Enterbrain. Us here have no say whatsoever in the development of the RPG Makers.
You are mis-interpreting what I am saying, we are legally allowed to to create our own engines and legally convert rpg maker xp projects into a new format, and I was asking on the thoughts of what everyone thinks
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:40 PM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

The biggest issue, is a comprehensive base. Pokemon Essentials is the primary reason why RMXP is used. It cuts down a substantial amount of work for developers.

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
The biggest issue, is a comprehensive base. Pokemon Essentials is the primary reason why RMXP is used. It cuts down a substantial amount of work for developers.
See we can make a base that supports ruby as it's primary language, then it is only a matter of adding all the classes rgss supports and then we have our new engine base.
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

I guess.

You are wanting to fix something that does not exactly need to be fixed for (what seems like) the purpose of having a free option. Most developers at this point really have no need to switch as they either bought RMXP or acquired it through other means, and it functions just fine.

That being said, I am not opposed to the idea of new tools, I don't think anyone would be. But I will be sticking with RMXP as I see no real reason to actually switch at this point in time.

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Alexandre

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansiec View Post
See we can make a base that supports ruby as it's primary language, then it is only a matter of adding all the classes rgss supports and then we have our new engine base.
There are already open source implementations of RGSS in basic ruby (http://openrgss.org/), porting essentials out of RMXP to a regular ruby base would not be difficult at all. 'Tiled' is a great free map editor that supports importing rxdata format maps into its own format. Reimplementing tiled's map format in essentials wouldn't be that difficult of a task.

That being said, I don't think its very much worth it. RMXP acts as a centralised database for everything to make your game with. I don't think its a great idea to have multiple programs which you use to make a game, it gets cluttered. I do agree that the PBS editor needs an overhaul in the interface department though. A point and click interface with the mouse would be a lot more user friendly and would save a lot of time.
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre View Post
There are already open source implementations of RGSS in basic ruby (http://openrgss.org/)
I actually did not know this, I'll take a look
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links