The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 1st, 2013, 01:13 PM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em1ltje View Post
Okay Thanks a lot for the help , And also have a nice day (Actually..... It's night already here in the Netherlands =P)

Happy Gaming/Hacking/Helping
No prob bob! It's 5:14 here...

Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue

Join me in the chat! Get help or just talk, I really don't care :D | Click here: http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...omhacking,GoGo
Old September 1st, 2013, 02:02 PM
Le pug
la butt doit le sniff
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Since I'm doing FireRed now, I'm trying to import my tilesets and palettes and bring over the ruby tiles, which is working. However, I'm encountering a problem that I do not understand. For a particular map, I'll use tileset 6 for tileset 1 and tileset 4 for tileset 2. using 6 for tileset 1 gives me the ability to have more space, allowing me to have a height of 320 instead of 192. why wouldn't i want that? however, when i insert my tileset for tileset 6 and when i insert the corresponding tileset's palette, it looks great in the block editor. When I click save, and exit out of block editor and save, it reverts the palette back to its normal colors, in this case every color reverts to 7C00. Any way to fix this?
• Check out the Ruby rombase sound list I contributed by clicking here
Old September 1st, 2013, 03:23 PM
Rezordaxx
Asks many questions!

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em1ltje View Post
Okay Thanks a lot for the help , And also have a nice day (Actually..... It's night already here in the Netherlands =P)

Happy Gaming/Hacking/Helping
Hi,
(Mede nederlander)
I had the same problem I just recreated the map mine was real small
So i recreated the map and I putted the warps in again and voila.
It worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le pug View Post
Since I'm doing FireRed now, I'm trying to import my tilesets and palettes and bring over the ruby tiles, which is working. However, I'm encountering a problem that I do not understand. For a particular map, I'll use tileset 6 for tileset 1 and tileset 4 for tileset 2. using 6 for tileset 1 gives me the ability to have more space, allowing me to have a height of 320 instead of 192. why wouldn't i want that? however, when i insert my tileset for tileset 6 and when i insert the corresponding tileset's palette, it looks great in the block editor. When I click save, and exit out of block editor and save, it reverts the palette back to its normal colors, in this case every color reverts to 7C00. Any way to fix this?
Using advance map 1.9.5?
If so download 1.9.2!

thanks to Saturnus for helping me with the sig

My hack

Last edited by Rezordaxx; September 1st, 2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 1st, 2013, 05:35 PM
Le pug
la butt doit le sniff
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezordaxx View Post
Hi,
(Mede nederlander)
I had the same problem I just recreated the map mine was real small
So i recreated the map and I putted the warps in again and voila.
It worked.

Using advance map 1.9.5?
If so download 1.9.2!
god damn it lol i use 1.95 usually because it has features that i think are better than 1.92 but it seems that anytime i get an error i should just check out the other version for example, in 1.92, you can't use the pipette tool to select a tile on the map, or special fill can or greatblock...

Last edited by Le pug; September 1st, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old September 1st, 2013, 05:53 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
god damn it lol i use 1.95 usually because it has features that i think are better than 1.92 but it seems that anytime i get an error i should just check out the other version for example, in 1.92, you can't use the pipette tool to select a tile on the map, or special fill can or greatblock...
All of the tools in 1.95 are availble in 1.92 except the bucket tool. Try right-clicking and using the ctrl+click+drag method. You will be quite surprised.

Paired with Simba
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:49 PM
Le pug
la butt doit le sniff
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
All of the tools in 1.95 are availble in 1.92 except the bucket tool. Try right-clicking and using the ctrl+click+drag method. You will be quite surprised.
yeah i looked at the readme, the bucket or fill tool is in 1.92 also, you just have to click your middle button or scroll button
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:02 AM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
yeah i looked at the readme, the bucket or fill tool is in 1.92 also, you just have to click your middle button or scroll button
Good to know. Those tools (Except for more block editing features) are the only plus in 1.95. So, it really isn't worth it, haha.

Paired with Simba
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:04 AM
Rezordaxx
Asks many questions!

Nature: Relaxed
How do you change the Teamrocket grunt trainer sprite?

thanks to Saturnus for helping me with the sig

My hack

Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:39 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezordaxx View Post
How do you change the Teamrocket grunt trainer sprite?
NSE Classic or NSE 2.X, using each's respective trainer editor.

Paired with Simba
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:22 AM
Le pug
la butt doit le sniff
Community Supporter

Spoiler:

I opened it again in advancemap 1.95 to see if 1.92 was the problem and the above image is from 1.95.
when opened in 1.92, all the maps that are in banks after 3 are completely gone but in 1.95, the connection list shows they are still there.

i created new maps by Insert Map > Create New Space > 1 Reserved map

and it would work. I could change anything on them and go back and forth between maps. Then I was working on a map, went to header and changed the height by like 4 units and every map went to "create new map" and now there is only 3 banks... and all the maps are apparently still there which is good because if they weren't, i'd quit for good lol. but however i can't figure why that happened and how to fix it.

don't see why people love fire red so much, it sucks imo. I can't even save a block tileset and and tileset 2 and the palettes for it and, yeah it'll insert the tileset 2 and palettes but when you insert the block tileset it just looks like a bunch of crap, even though all parameters match.

Last edited by Le pug; September 2nd, 2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:45 AM
Shiny Quagsire
Unexpectedly Gone until Aug 13

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Spoiler:

I opened it again in advancemap 1.95 to see if 1.92 was the problem and the above image is from 1.95.
when opened in 1.92, all the maps that are in banks after 3 are completely gone but in 1.95, the connection list shows they are still there.

i created new maps by Insert Map > Create New Space > 1 Reserved map

and it would work. I could change anything on them and go back and forth between maps. Then I was working on a map, went to header and changed the height by like 4 units and every map went to "create new map" and now there is only 3 banks... and all the maps are apparently still there which is good because if they weren't, i'd quit for good lol. but however i can't figure why that happened and how to fix it.

don't see why people love fire red so much, it sucks imo. I can't even save a block tileset and and tileset 2 and the palettes for it and, yeah it'll insert the tileset 2 and palettes but when you insert the block tileset it just looks like a bunch of crap, even though all parameters match.
For the whole map thing, Generally you want to stay away from creating new maps because it can cause things to get a bit screwy sometimes. Instead, just edit existing maps that you know you aren't going to be using.

Are these block tilesets the ones from Ruby (or another game)? If that's the case, then it won't work because Fire Red's block sizes are different than that of Ruby. I may be wrong though, I haven't done mapping in a while. :X

Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:41 PM
Le pug
la butt doit le sniff
Community Supporter

when trying to inserting tiles, what works?

if i use tileset 13 for tileset 1 and tileset 3 for tileset 2, and then i use tileset 4 for tileset 1 and tileset 13 for tileset 2 on a different map, do the two tileset 13s count as one or are they separate tilesets?
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:52 PM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

Quote:
when trying to inserting tiles, what works?

if i use tileset 13 for tileset 1 and tileset 3 for tileset 2, and then i use tileset 4 for tileset 1 and tileset 13 for tileset 2 on a different map, do the two tileset 13s count as one or are they separate tilesets?
They will glitch since they're not in the same slot, so they will not correspond. Just switch them around for one map. Plus tileset 0 should be the first tileset on every map, because some tilesets just glitch up without it.

Join me in the chat! Get help or just talk, I really don't care :D | Click here: http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...omhacking,GoGo
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:20 PM
Negix

Send a message via Skype™ to Negix
Hello, I have a question.

How do I insert new tilesets, and do I need another program to so?

I saw a tutorial and the person did it through Block Editor, but I get an error when inserting them.
This is the error:

"Access violation at address 0046719C in module 'Advance Map.exe'. Read address 0000042C."
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:25 PM
Le pug
la butt doit le sniff
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
They will glitch since they're not in the same slot, so they will not correspond. Just switch them around for one map. Plus tileset 0 should be the first tileset on every map, because some tilesets just glitch up without it.
well what i'm trying to do is have it to where most maps that i only need a few tiles on i'll use 0 but if i have a map where i'll need more, i'll use like tileset 2 and 3 then for another I'd do 3 and 4.

so far the only problem with that was when i used the same number for different tilesets and trying to overlap them with new tiles. if i use different numbers, but I'm careful to not overlap older tilesets then it is fine. i noticed the glitches when i used the same tilesets and today i've had to recreate my maps several times because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negix View Post
Hello, I have a question.

How do I insert new tilesets, and do I need another program to so?

I saw a tutorial and the person did it through Block Editor, but I get an error when inserting them.
This is the error:

"Access violation at address 0046719C in module 'Advance Map.exe'. Read address 0000042C."

if you're inserting your own tileset, make sure it's the right size ( height x width ) which is different between FR/LG and R/S/E. if you don't have the correct palette also, your images might look like big square images filled with the transparent color. If this is a problem just open up Show Palette Editor under Palette in block editor and edit the colors to exactly the same 16 colors of your tileset. You usually have up to 12 palettes to work with so you can have all different color schemes for your tileset as long as you match the tileset to it's palette.

as for the access violation, it might be the version advancemap you're using. If you're using AdvanceMap 1.95, try switching to AdvanceMap 1.92. That or you might have accidentally broken something. Try restarting the program in this case. Sometimes there are things we do that can corrupt the file, which is why you should always have a backup file and just like a game, save often to your backup just in case you hit a wall.

Last edited by Le pug; September 2nd, 2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:04 PM
Negix

Send a message via Skype™ to Negix
Quote:
if you're inserting your own tileset, make sure it's the right size ( height x width ) which is different between FR/LG and R/S/E. if you don't have the correct palette also, your images might look like big square images filled with the transparent color. If this is a problem just open up Show Palette Editor under Palette in block editor and edit the colors to exactly the same 16 colors of your tileset. You usually have up to 12 palettes to work with so you can have all different color schemes for your tileset as long as you match the tileset to it's palette.

as for the access violation, it might be the version advancemap you're using. If you're using AdvanceMap 1.95, try switching to AdvanceMap 1.92. That or you might have accidentally broken something. Try restarting the program in this case. Sometimes there are things we do that can corrupt the file, which is why you should always have a backup file and just like a game, save often to your backup just in case you hit a wall.
I'm using the version 1.92 of Advance Map and yes, by restarting the program it goes back to how it was originally. The problem is inserting the tileset into the Emerald ROM. I didn't touch the width at all but I made the height just a little bit longer because I need space to insert a few new trees. But exactly when I insert it, I get that error.

Edit: Ok everything didn't crash now the only thing that did pop up was something about the dib being invalid.

Last edited by Negix; September 2nd, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:35 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Hello and good day. I am here to ask a question.
I am following Jambo's tutorial on adding new attacks without replacing old ones.
I am aware that he's using FireRed as a base, however, it's easy to follow since there are tools that lets me see the pointers that I needed in Ruby, however...
I am stuck in the step wherein I'm going to repoint the pointers to my new assigned offset.
Specifically, the attack names in Ruby.

From what I gathered, Ruby's attack pointer is 0x1F8320, so naturally, I'll just search for the reverse of the offset, which would be 20831F, but here's the problem.

In Ruby, all those pointers are 20831F83, not 20831F08 that I was expecting.

Long story short, I wanna ask what's the correct attack name pointer in Pokémon Ruby. =/
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:04 AM
Branellope
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Branellope
There are two things I want to do in my hack.
1. Add a new type (Fairy)
2. Make it so you get the National Dex from Celio when you get to One Island, instead of Professor Oak after the Elite Four.

How?
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:35 AM
awipe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branellope View Post
2. Make it so you get the National Dex from Celio when you get to One Island, instead of Professor Oak after the Elite Four.

How?
1) I'm assuming you are a new ROM hacker since you are asking these questions. Adding a new type would require a lot of ASM knowledge. It's not something a hacker that is starting out can learn to do. What I would recommened is just forget about doing this right away, get some experience with ROM hacking, and return after you have had practice with ASM and such.

2) Just open the script for Professor OAK in advanced map. Find the part of the script where Prof Oak gives you the national Pokedex, and just rewrite that script and complie it, and put the script offset in Celio's Script (If that makes any sense). If you didn't understand that, you can PM me and I can explain in more detail.

Also I'm currently looking for a spriter for my ROM. Someone who can make OWs and possibly trainer sprites (I might make those myself). Message me if you would like to be a part of Pokemon Battle Brown!
NOTE: You wouldn't be designing your own sprites, I would be telling you what I needed, and you would make it for me ... as appealing as that sounds. I know it doesn't sound like a fun task, but if you want to be a part of this ROM, then that's what will happen. Also I would like to see some stuff you have made before I accept your offer.
Old September 5th, 2013, 04:19 AM
xGal
du bist n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branellope View Post

How?
- If I am not wrong, you may replace the "???" type with the Fairy type. Make sure you change Curse's type, so as Struggle's. After that, change the "???"'s text string with "Fairy" or whatever type.

- Setflag 0x16F?
Old September 5th, 2013, 05:55 AM
niall3mc

Hi guys, I downloaded advance map 1.92, XSE (not sure what version), FSF and a fire red rom. I followed all the steps in opening advance map, choosing xse as the script editor in it. I used fsf to find free space, opened XSE, loaded the fire red rom and created a simple speaking script using the located dynamic offset. I compliled and copy/pasted the given offset into the 'script offset' box in advance map for a person event. As far as i can tell the script i wrote should work perfectly but it dosent. I load the rom, walk to the person the script was added to. Press A and nothing happens, if i press A a second time, there is a small beep and they look at me, but no text box and the game dosent lock as it should. Below is my script. Im running windows 8.

#dynamic 0x(FSF Offset)
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Hi.\nMy name is Diego.

Last edited by niall3mc; September 5th, 2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old September 5th, 2013, 08:30 AM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by niall3mc View Post
Hi guys, I downloaded advance map 1.92, XSE (not sure what version), FSF and a fire red rom. I followed all the steps in opening advance map, choosing xse as the script editor in it. I used fsf to find free space, opened XSE, loaded the fire red rom and created a simple speaking script using the located dynamic offset. I compliled and copy/pasted the given offset into the 'script offset' box in advance map for a person event. As far as i can tell the script i wrote should work perfectly but it dosent. I load the rom, walk to the person the script was added to. Press A and nothing happens, if i press A a second time, there is a small beep and they look at me, but no text box and the game dosent lock as it should. Below is my script. Im running windows 8.

#dynamic 0x(FSF Offset)
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Hi.\nMy name is Diego.
This XSE will make that dialogue appear: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t2wylmh4j...ficial_XSE.zip

Old September 5th, 2013, 11:21 AM
bigmac909

Help applying the physical/special split to roms?

From what I understand, you need the patch for FR/Emerald, then you have to use a hex editor to change the values of a certain byte. That's all good and well, but has anybody made a guide for doing this? I know a few hacks have incorporated it, so there must be some method to it all...

I finally found a move list on Bulbapedia, that I can only pray is indeed in the right order. So I have to find pound in the hex editor, but then... I would have to find a move that needs to be changed, then count down the rows from pound until I'm at what I believe to be the right row, and change the byte?

Please tell me there's a list out there of the moves that need changing and what their addresses are.

And just to be clear, this is something that's absolutely necessary, right? I need to do this so that the moves have the right physical/special characteristic? This isn't just to make the menu say how it's physical instead of special, or vice versa, right?

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated, because this is something I've been looking into on and off for at least a year.
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:23 AM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac909 View Post
Help applying the physical/special split to roms?

From what I understand, you need the patch for FR/Emerald, then you have to use a hex editor to change the values of a certain byte. That's all good and well, but has anybody made a guide for doing this? I know a few hacks have incorporated it, so there must be some method to it all...

I finally found a move list on Bulbapedia, that I can only pray is indeed in the right order. So I have to find pound in the hex editor, but then... I would have to find a move that needs to be changed, then count down the rows from pound until I'm at what I believe to be the right row, and change the byte?

Please tell me there's a list out there of the moves that need changing and what their addresses are.

And just to be clear, this is something that's absolutely necessary, right? I need to do this so that the moves have the right physical/special characteristic? This isn't just to make the menu say how it's physical instead of special, or vice versa, right?

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated, because this is something I've been looking into on and off for at least a year.
Apply this patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpvmw8m80x...DO%20FIRST.ips
Then this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6l3s0pjt1...ER%20FIRST.ips
Note, these are for FR. Then use PGE to edit whether the moves are physical/special.

Old September 5th, 2013, 01:06 PM
bigmac909

OK, that's much more straightforward, thank you!

However, I'm in PGE and all of the moves are already under the correct category. Why's that?

Lastly, I just want to confirm: I can then patch this rom with a hack, right?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links