The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 1st, 2013, 08:05 PM
TheChaosBlue
Jump On Box For a Free Life!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to TheChaosBlue

Advertise here
Woo boy this thing.

Personally, I can see why Nintendo would want to design this and who this appeals to. It's tablet-like look is good for kids and the physical design address to the mindset of those young children. I'll admit, at first I was 'meh' on the shovel/slice of cake shape of the console, but it looks much smaller than I thought.

As far as the 3D is concerned, yeah I know the argument for the 3DS's 3D feature is that you can just turn it off through parental settings. What I don't get is how much vemon is being spewed about this thing. I'm sure those same have 3DS/3DS XLs of their own, so why does it really matter to them?

One thing I think everyone can agree on for the most part is the price. At what it costing PLUS being released on the same day as Pokemon X and Y...that's a pretty good deal.

On criticism I'll agree somewhat over is how informative will this sell to parents? That's something Nintendo had a tough time doing with the general public with the Wii U.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:08 AM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
To be honest, I'm not surprised that Nintendo made a handheld console specifically for kids since that's their target demographic and it's a hell of a faithful one. If my daughter was a year or two older then I would definitely buy one for her because it's perfect for children. I'm actually really impressed with Nintendo for coming up with a solution like this to increase their sales because it's a really good move on their part. In theory, that is. There may be a chance that it might not sell, but personally I can't see it selling badly since this kind of console is a parent's dream.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
Denny Hamlin
The S o u l Survivor

Nature: Brave
I'm better off sticking with the 3DS btw, I mean...I don't see much of a point in buying this bricky thingy that only takes out the ability to view 3D. I'd rather shell out a few more bucks or so, and I'd rather keep the portability the 3DS already has. The 2DS just eliminates that.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:08 PM
\/
Grey Cat

For the target demographic, I think portability is not an issue as Nintendo handhelds only fit in teen/adult pockets anyway.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:54 PM
Morkula
Play the Game

Okay, so...I understand who they're marketing this toward (and it's not me). It's for little kids who are too young for the 3D features. I get that, and it's a decent value considering that market.

But here's what I don't get: why in the name of hell would you design a handheld for little kids and then leave the screens unprotected? Little kids break things. The clamshell design protects the screen from being broken. So why would you leave the screen out in the open like that to get smashed and scratched to hell and back? It boggles the mind.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Spinosaurus

Apparently they just announced a 1DS.

OK this is just pushing it. I'm done.

EDIT: No fun.

Last edited by Spinosaurus; September 3rd, 2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
Morkula
Play the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post

From the bottom of the page:
"*Not actually a real device or price. See dreams for details."

It's a fake site. A really impressive one, but fake.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:41 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkula View Post
Okay, so...I understand who they're marketing this toward (and it's not me). It's for little kids who are too young for the 3D features. I get that, and it's a decent value considering that market.

But here's what I don't get: why in the name of hell would you design a handheld for little kids and then leave the screens unprotected? Little kids break things. The clamshell design protects the screen from being broken. So why would you leave the screen out in the open like that to get smashed and scratched to hell and back? It boggles the mind.
The benefits of the clamshell design are largely negated by the weakness of the hinges. All it takes is one drop in a public location (specifically, anything with concrete sidewalks, concrete flooring, or concrete foundation directly beneath the tiles/carpet) to completely destroy the hinges. And if a screen is going to get cracked or otherwise damaged from a fall with enough force, the clamshell design will do little to stop that.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
awolfsquared
I like to do 'Garfield Mondays'
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
Quote:

Whoever did this made it convincingly real though. Well done to them I say. XD

"I have no idea what I'm doing. but I know I'm doing it really, really well."- Andy Dwyer
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:23 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
If you're 6 you probably don't have your own money yet, so your parents probably have some rules in place about playing it outside or taking it wherever you want. I bought my 3DS with my own money, I'm 16, and my mom still won't let me use it myself.

Then again, I was raised by "responsible" parents, so idk about everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
The benefits of the clamshell design are largely negated by the weakness of the hinges. All it takes is one drop in a public location (specifically, anything with concrete sidewalks, concrete flooring, or concrete foundation directly beneath the tiles/carpet) to completely destroy the hinges. And if a screen is going to get cracked or otherwise damaged from a fall with enough force, the clamshell design will do little to stop that.
Then again, that raises the question of why one would ever even consider going outside.

Old September 5th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Quote:

Wait until 0DS. Then it's just a hologram.

...Yes, I know that 1DS is a fake.
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:58 PM
pompayyy
Forever and Ever

Nature: Relaxed
Now here's what I think:
The concept is great, BUT it was executed poorly. I mean I don't own a 3DS so I'm kinda in a tight spot with X/Y coming out so soon. So a cheaper version of the 3DS that would only take away the 3D feature sounds great to me. But the true slap in the face here is the fact that it WON'T FOLD SHUT. I mean it's alright if a system like the Gameboy Color won't fold, since it has one smallish screen. But two large screens?!? You've gotta be out of your mind to think that was a good idea.

Pink Moon is on its way.

Old September 11th, 2013, 06:34 PM
sh1nyzorua
zorua♥&♥zoroark

Nature: Quirky
I kinda like it.
Money doesn't come easy to me, 3D gives me a headache (plus I've just never liked it), and I've broken the hinge on a DS Lite (or two. . eheheh ) before so the 2DS eliminates a bunch of problems for me, that the 3DS has. I mean, why pay the extra money for 3D when it's not even going to get used, that's silly. . .
Yeah, it's design is a little differerent. But what matters to me is the games I'll get to play, not what the handheld looks like that I'm playing the game on. :3

Gif by it-started-to-rain on Tumblr (:
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:49 PM
MKGirlism
3DS and Wii U Game Developer

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
I have a 2DS Panda Unit (aka, Test Unit).
I actually didn't want to get it in the first place, but it was a month before release, and NOA already started selling them on WarioWorld, so I thought, why not.
As soon as I got it, I started to love it.
Although I can't play any Retail 3DS nor DSi-Enhanced game on it, I can still play all DS games on it.
From what I've experienced, it plays pretty well, I finally use the Circle Pad in Mario Kart DS decently, the L and R Buttons are accessible and have a better grip, and it looks cute in real life.
In fact, I love it even more than my 3DS systems, I honestly think the 2DS is what Nintendo should have made at the very beginning of the entire 3DS genno, but then it'd lack their main USP: 3D without glasses.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:12 PM
C4
Explosive

Nature: Relaxed
Amazing idea, great for people who are short on money and still want to play that Nintendo 3DS goodness.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here