The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Advertise here

Old September 7th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Le pug
Creator of Pokémon: Discovery
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fox View Post
The scripting looks well done, and the story definitely sounds alluring. I'm a bit worried about the mapping and the tiles though, the map you posted here has a number of no-nos, such as simple paths, blocks of trees and narrow pathways. The multicoloured tress also look off.

Wish you all the best, maybe consider some new tiles, and with it some edits to your current outside maps.
First of all, thanks for the feedback.

Could you elaborate a little more for me, giving a description of what you mean by simple paths? I am trying to add as much detail as possible to have it look more realistic, are you saying I should add more grass tiles? As for the block of trees, I can't really see what you mean because the entire map is pretty much just trees, simply because you arrive on shore, and you go into a forest where I wanted it to have a lot of trees and very little spacing for the pathways because it's suppose to be that no one has been there before. As for the trees, I agree with the colors looking a little off. Do you think I should change the colors of them or just use new trees in general?
• Check out the most updated Emereld Decapitalization Patch around by clicking here
Old September 8th, 2013, 02:29 AM
Magic

Hope this helps I've circled some things and been a bit more helpful, hopefully

Spoiler:

1. Something I didn't spot originally, your mountains are not level. If you look at the section I have circled it somehow overlaps the rest of the mountain, but meets the ground at the same place. When doing mountains the best thing to do is to map layer-by-layer, to help avoid this. You might also want to make the edge of the mountain more jagged, less uniform and straight to give it a more natural look.

2. I've circled some of the long grass, this type of grass does not match the map, imo. It's normally used in wet environments (so, near water) and should be used en mass rather than small patches. Stick with small grass for this map.

3. I've circled one of the pathways. If you look here you can see that (a) the path is narrow almost constantly 1.5 blocks, as the tops of the trees cover some of the bottom. The best thing to do would to make it more irregular and also one tile wider. (b) the majority of this map can be transversed by holding down a button - especially this circled big, it's one straight line.

4+5, on the right hand side, link back to these trees. For one thing, the two types of tree you have at the bottom do not mesh well together - one is a large tree, the other is a smaller, mangrove shrub thing. I would recommend sticking to the larger tree - another flaw with the smaller, R/S tree is how bad it looks when you have them linked together - it makes anything past the first layer look like a carpet of trees and exceptionally boring.

I'm afraid it's been a while since I've mapped, so I don't have any fresh examples, but this map kind of shows a less uniform tree line. Many of the trees are at different levels, there are also 'side' paths (such as a surfable area) and a ledge to mean the map is different depending on your direction.

I hope that this helps and isn't just tedious to read.
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:07 AM
dudebot
Glowing Yellow

Send a message via Skype™ to dudebot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le pug View Post
Any specific conditions you'd like to see?
Generally, I'm curious to see the gameplay's checkpoints. Normally, it's gym battles along with major storyline events. However, in an environment such as the Navy there's a lot to explore like going up in rank or deployment missions. Or, even becoming a SEAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoppy View Post
Hey, it's Tcoppy. Uh, I'm on Team Discovery and I thought (with the permission of Le Pug) I would let you in on a very important feature.

This feature is called Level of Will, we call it LOW for short. If you have played Darkcry: Legend of Giratina, it may remind you of Karma.

LOW is, well, throughout the game you will be making a lot choices. The choices you make will change the story a little bit but it will still lead to the same ending, and will give you a reputation. There will be perks. If you have a high LOW (highest level 10), which you get from good choices (usually will +.1 or so points), you will recieve a very special pokemon, you will get pokemart discounts in good villages (which are most of the villages), you will be battled constantly, and the Renegade Company hates you, . If you have a low LOW (lowest level 0), which you get from bad choices (usually will -.2 or so points), pokemarts from bad villages will give you discounts, you will not be battled constantly, and instead of a very special pokemon, you get very special balls that will allow you to catch other people's pokemon. You start out at level 5.

Another thing is that if you fight someone in a bad village and have a high LOW, you will be in transported to a good village. Vice versa if you have a low LOW.

So that's all I'm going to say about LOW so I won't make a mistake a spoil something. Any questions or comments about LOW?
Quite interesting.
Old September 8th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Le pug
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fox View Post
Hope this helps I've circled some things and been a bit more helpful, hopefully

Spoiler:

1. Something I didn't spot originally, your mountains are not level. If you look at the section I have circled it somehow overlaps the rest of the mountain, but meets the ground at the same place. When doing mountains the best thing to do is to map layer-by-layer, to help avoid this. You might also want to make the edge of the mountain more jagged, less uniform and straight to give it a more natural look.

2. I've circled some of the long grass, this type of grass does not match the map, imo. It's normally used in wet environments (so, near water) and should be used en mass rather than small patches. Stick with small grass for this map.

3. I've circled one of the pathways. If you look here you can see that (a) the path is narrow almost constantly 1.5 blocks, as the tops of the trees cover some of the bottom. The best thing to do would to make it more irregular and also one tile wider. (b) the majority of this map can be transversed by holding down a button - especially this circled big, it's one straight line.

4+5, on the right hand side, link back to these trees. For one thing, the two types of tree you have at the bottom do not mesh well together - one is a large tree, the other is a smaller, mangrove shrub thing. I would recommend sticking to the larger tree - another flaw with the smaller, R/S tree is how bad it looks when you have them linked together - it makes anything past the first layer look like a carpet of trees and exceptionally boring.

I'm afraid it's been a while since I've mapped, so I don't have any fresh examples, but this map kind of shows a less uniform tree line. Many of the trees are at different levels, there are also 'side' paths (such as a surfable area) and a ledge to mean the map is different depending on your direction.

I hope that this helps and isn't just tedious to read.

Yes, this is very informative and very helpful. Thank you for the time you put in to this and I will definitely be revising the map, possibly changing the ruby trees into new trees (don't really like the ruby trees anyways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebot View Post
Generally, I'm curious to see the gameplay's checkpoints. Normally, it's gym battles along with major storyline events. However, in an environment such as the Navy there's a lot to explore like going up in rank or deployment missions. Or, even becoming a SEAL.

Well I can already go ahead and spoil the fact that we aren't doing gym battles, in the sense that you're not battling just to get badges. Instead of badges, they will be apart of the story and something you NEED to get if you want to get off the land. The quest of the story is figuring out how to get off the land and overcoming any obstacles that are presented to you.

I'm not really sure about going up in rank, though it's a nice idea, but for the story I don't see how it would benefit the player when we already have a leveling system, Level of Will (LOW).
• Check out the most updated Emereld Decapitalization Patch around by clicking here

Last edited by Le pug; September 8th, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old September 8th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Fiery Dash

Playing as a sailor is unique and the plot seems to be different than the others out there!

I love the scenery, I hope the other screens will be better in actual game play.

I'm looking forward to this hack, don't disappoint us!
High expectations here!
Old September 8th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Tcoppy
W
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
However, in an environment such as the Navy there's a lot to explore like going up in rank or deployment missions. Or, even becoming a SEAL.
I do like the idea of going up the ranks, but like Le Pug said, we do not see it effecting the story in a way like LOW is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Dash View Post
Playing as a sailor is unique and the plot seems to be different than the others out there!
Trust me, there is so much more we are not telling you guys.

Just so anyone who views this thread, I have made a team recruitment thread for Pokemon Discovery and I am in charge of that thread with some help from Le Pug (NOT THIS THREAD!!).
So expect to see a team thread at team discussions when Dr. Fuji or Gira accept it.

Last edited by Tcoppy; September 8th, 2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old September 8th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Le pug
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Dash View Post

I love the scenery, I hope the other screens will be better in actual game play.

I'm looking forward to this hack, don't disappoint us!
High expectations here!
Thank you, I'm glad you like it. We are also constantly revamping the images, such as the one you listed so expect it to be brighter and more detailed!

Also

dat stress you put on me haha
Don't worry, it'll be great and you'll love it. Everything is being customized.
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:39 AM
dudebot
Glowing Yellow

Send a message via Skype™ to dudebot
Quote:
Well I can already go ahead and spoil the fact that we aren't doing gym battles, in the sense that you're not battling just to get badges. Instead of badges, they will be apart of the story and something you NEED to get if you want to get off the land. The quest of the story is figuring out how to get off the land and overcoming any obstacles that are presented to you.

I'm not really sure about going up in rank, though it's a nice idea, but for the story I don't see how it would benefit the player when we already have a leveling system, Level of Will (LOW).
Fair enough. You're right too. Being stranded on an island, there would be no power to ranking up or following a chain of command.

Quote:
I do like the idea of going up the ranks, but like Le Pug said, we do not see it effecting the story in a way like LOW is.
Once again, fair enough. I'm a little ticked. I'm a bit of a Navy enthusiast and love to see it in a Pokemon Hack, so it's a bummer.

However, I'm more so a proponent of good storytelling and I can't see its purpose in a stranded situation. But, I am definitely curious as to what those checkpoints will be.
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Bidoof
Doof

Quote:
Just so anyone who views this thread, I have made a team recruitment thread for Pokemon Discovery and I am in charge of that thread with some help from Le Pug (NOT THIS THREAD!!).
So expect to see a team thread at team discussions when Dr. Fuji and Gira accept it.

Are you looking for people to help with this or is it just a thread for discussion?
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Le pug
Community Supporter

Quote:
Fair enough. You're right too. Being stranded on an island, there would be no power to ranking up or following a chain of command.

Once again, fair enough. I'm a little ticked. I'm a bit of a Navy enthusiast and love to see it in a Pokemon Hack, so it's a bummer.

However, I'm more so a proponent of good storytelling and I can't see its purpose in a stranded situation. But, I am definitely curious as to what those checkpoints will be.
Well if it helps your Navy enthusiasm, I'm actually IN the US Navy so I have a lot of knowledge in that department. Yes, I will be implementing naval terminology every once and awhile and yes there will be naval events. Even more, there will be a lot of sailors you battle since they are stranded on the land too and will do anything to take your food rations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssj3 Pikachu View Post
Are you looking for people to help with this or is it just a thread for discussion?
The team discussions thread will be for those who want to apply to be on the team or who have questions unrelated to the story or information posted on this thread.
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Bidoof
Doof

Quote:
The team discussions thread will be for those who want to apply to be on the team or who have questions unrelated to the story or information posted on this thread.
Oh awesome. I'll probably apply, honestly I've never made one of these before, but its easier to start with some friendly people rather than being clueless alone. If you do accept my help I'll try my best to make it on par with all the other awesome stuff your doing.
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Le pug
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssj3 Pikachu View Post
Oh awesome. I'll probably apply, honestly I've never made one of these before, but its easier to start with some friendly people rather than being clueless alone. If you do accept my help I'll try my best to make it on par with all the other awesome stuff your doing.
Sounds good, the thread should be up sometime today (hopefully). There are several positions to apply for when it's up so I'm sure you can help with something and become apart of PDT :]
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Bidoof
Doof

Quote:
Sounds good, the thread should be up sometime today (hopefully). There are several positions to apply for when it's up so I'm sure you can help with something and become apart of PDT :]
Awesome, cant wait lol. Should be fun to help.
Old September 9th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Le pug
Community Supporter

Just gonna go ahead and throw it out there now, there will be some fakemon in the mix, after all.. Each region has their own Pokemon for the most part, and since this is the discovery of Pokemon, I'd feel anything is possible and so it is, but don't worry the Fakemon will look great. Also introducing some pre-evos and evos including: a pre-evo for kacleon, evo for snorlax, Evo for altaria, banette Evo, relicanth Evo, farfetch'd evo, and more to come.
Old September 9th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Santuga

This is promising, can't wait to see the development of this hack
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Bidoof
Doof

I usually hate Fakemon, but i would like to design one haha.
Old September 9th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Tcoppy
W
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=308176 - It is here!
Hey, me again!
I just wanted you all to know that the team thread is now here! Go check it out!
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:28 PM
MisterFrost

You have my support! Can't wait for the release.
Old September 14th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Semyaza
Lurker Extraordinaire

As plenty of others have expressed, I am also interested in seeing where you take this hack.

Out of curiosity, however, and if it isn't too personal, what part of the Navy are you in? I am actually a Boomer vet (King's Bay, GA; USS Rhode Island [Blue]) and it is always interesting to see other service members around these parts.
Old September 15th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Hound of Justice
Banned

Nature: Naughty
Good pics and some unique features i cant wait for a beta or alpha
Old September 15th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Le pug
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semyaza View Post
As plenty of others have expressed, I am also interested in seeing where you take this hack.

Out of curiosity, however, and if it isn't too personal, what part of the Navy are you in? I am actually a Boomer vet (King's Bay, GA; USS Rhode Island [Blue]) and it is always interesting to see other service members around these parts.
I'm a Nuclear Electronic's Technician currently in Prototype school stationed in SC. Almost done with my training and then I'll be heading out to subs, hopefully I get King's Bay too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFrost View Post
You have my support! Can't wait for the release.
Well, production is kind of slow but I'm pushing as hard as I can, especially since I'm the only one working on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElitePokes View Post
Good pics and some unique features i cant wait for a beta or alpha

Thanks. I have about 35-50 minutes of gameplay including if you talked to every talkable object. Otherwise if you just did the main objectives, I'd say I have about 15-20 minutes of gameplay up to and including your first battle to get your starter Pokemon. My main objective is to get at least 2-3 hours worth of gameplay before I release an alpha. Working in great ideas for the story that I'm doing, as I work 4 hours a day Mon-Fri and in my free time at work, I'm brainstorming and story writing so. I'm hoping you enjoy the story!

Last edited by Le pug; September 15th, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old September 17th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Le pug
Community Supporter

It's a hard concept by many thinkers, but I have introduced evolutions to the eeveelutions. If you haven't guessed by now, your first encounter will be with an eevee. Since it'll be a starter, I have decided to give it a third evolution, mega evolution, which I have created for Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Vaporeon, and Flareon. I've decided to keep the ice eevee out of the game, because I'm sorry but water is good enough. They will ALL then have a fourth uniform evolution which can only be obtained through a long legendary questline. Let me know your thoughts on this.
Old September 17th, 2013, 05:49 AM
chaos_envoys

Nature: Modest
I love eevee and its evolution!! I'm interested in your concept about the 3rd and 4rd evolution of eevees, but I hope the sprite and the design stays true to the series..

Pokemon Glazed,Pokemon Dark Violet, Pokemon Flora Sky, Pokemon Ruby Destiny Series

Waiting For: PLATINUM RED & BLUE, Pokemon Voltage, dark violet, and liquid crystal
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Le pug
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_evoys View Post
I love eevee and its evolution!! I'm interested in your concept about the 3rd and 4rd evolution of eevees, but I hope the sprite and the design stays true to the series..
I had the sprites professionally done. So they will be true and they will (they DO) look amazing. If you're interested in the types: Leafeon becomes grass/bug, Jolteon becomes Electric / Fighting, Espeon becomes Psychic / Poison, Umbreon becomes Dark / Ghost, Vaporeon becomes Water / Ice (think it fits better than Glaceon), and Flareon becomes Fire / Flying (it'll work, ill buff it). The fourth evolution is a surprise and no, it's not going to be the fairy type sylveon
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:33 PM
CoolTrainer_J

Looks great, love the story, and sprites look good. I wish I could get my game up already.... GRRRR. I am just unlucky Dx lol good luck man!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here