The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 9th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Moltres Rider
Banned

Nature: Modest

Advertise here
This isn't a debate on if Action Replay is right or wrong and please don't discuss that. I am just curious, what do you use Action Replay for in Pokémon games?

I ONLY use it to encounter certain Pokémon in the wild because there are Pokémon I cannot live without in a game such as Moltres. that's basically it for me.
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Darkroman

Nature: Adamant
I've used AR before to modify all wild pokemon's IVs to be set to 31. In addition to that, I kept it on because it also modified the NPC trainers' pokemon to have all IVs set to 31. It made for an interesting, fun, and somewhat new challenging twist to the game. All on level ground, besides EVs of course.
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Using cheating device adds new dimension to the game in my opinion, such as modifying Pokemon's stats, walk through walls, etc.

Old September 9th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Endless
& give nothing back

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
They do it for fun, they do it to get their hands on the Pokémon that they like, they use it modify their Pokémon, and hundreds of other reasons. I don't use Action Replay, but I don't have any problem with people who use them. The only thing that I don't really like is that when they try to trade their hacked Pokémon with me, which I never use. xD I use Pokémon only if they're legitimate.
Old September 9th, 2013, 03:07 PM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
I play for Pokédex completion, and only use AR to trigger events to get event-exclusive Pokémon in past generation games. That's pretty much it, all my other Pokémon are caught in a legit manner (even Feebas in Gen 3... that one almost drove me insane) .

Friend codes:
Electric-type Safari: 4468-2370-5617 (Electrode - Pikachu - Galvantula) | Dark-type Safari: 1134-8222-3179 (Nuzleaf - Cacturne - Liepard)
PM before adding. If you don't mention which code you added, I will NOT add you back.

PROTIP: If your "video game" can be replicated using only MS Word, then it's not a game, and you have no business calling yourself an indie game developer. Just saying... to no one in particular.
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Stargazer
This is the part when I break free.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Stargazer
I only used it with DPPt a long time ago for the Azure Flute (I never used it in Platinum, though) and other events.

Other than that, I haven't used the AR for anything else, because I can't really think of anything I would use it for, except things that are really necessary (like if I wanted to use it to unlock the Challenge Key from the beginning of the game, but I have the mechanics required to do that anyway).
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Harbinger of Pain

I did it with White so I can better train my teams by using stat boosters such as Carbos and Calcium and to use a near infinite number of Heart Scales saving me hours if not days of work.

This is the work of God.
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

I use cheat codes mostly to optimize my gaming experience. I've used max items like certain Poke Balls, Rare Candy, Lucky Eggs, Vitamins and Wings, etc. I use fast egg-hatching and cloning to aid in my trade stores. I have used codes to encounter final-stage Pokemon like Vileplume and Victreebel to speed up the EV training process. I caught a trainer's Milotic in one of the Gamecube games, traded it over, and bred it. It had some terrible IVs, lol. All of the stolen Pokemon did. D;
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
I use it to get max IV Pokémon (the norm since Subway and PWT opponents have max IVs), EV training, fast egg hatch, multiple exp for better training, instant shaking grass, and my favorite, the Missingno-style code that gives you 999 of an item in the first slot, because I hate that GF makes evolutionary items hard to obtain.

The line I draw is to beat the game the first time. After that, AR is free to use. I hope Datel makes one for 3DS because some games could really benefit from it, including Pokémon. I don't think it will ever be possible to make a legal hacked Pokémon in 6th gen, but using EV training codes and multiple exp, items would improve the game experience IMO.

One thing I hate about the AR DSi, though, is that, since DSi mode isn't hacked, the games are played in DS mode, and, since Pokémon Black and White are DSi-enhanced games, it means they don't use the extra processing power when you're using the AR.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Calamitastrophe
How do you even say that?

Nature: Lax
I used it to make the whole team-building process faster. Hatch eggs in a few steps, infinite money for vitamins to get those EVs faster, all TMs for movesets, etc. Things that just generally make things more efficient and easier.

Just to clarify, it's not like I directly hacked my Pokemon with it (like deliberately giving them max IVs, instant max'd EVs, etc).

Last edited by Calamitastrophe; September 9th, 2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old September 10th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Sven

Nature: Relaxed
I don't know what Action Replay is nor how to use it, but I might need it for exclusive Pokemon if I dont manage to get the from someone. Can this cheat thingy damage the game or Nintendo ds lite in any way?
Old September 10th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Juxapose

Nature: Jolly
I never used Action Replay, but I did use Game Genie back in Red/Blue/Gold/Silver.

Reason?

Just to have some fun. There was no Wi-Fi at that time, so it was harmless. Everyone I battled with know that I was using a game genie, and everyone else was using one too at the time. Now that Wi-Fi is around, I find it important to use only Legit Pokemon, and use your skills as a trainer as opposed to modding Pokemon. Even though Hacked Pokemon are common, and the usual RNG trainer, I still find it satisfying to beat those trainers with Pokemon that were raised with love and care.
Old September 10th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Tenth Doctor
God of Sassgard
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Tenth Doctor
I use it because sometimes it's easier for me. I can't really say the real reasons, but it's mainly just because well... it's easier. I hardly ever use my items I get through cheats though. I do use the infinite HP/PP, especially in Pokemon White 2. That game made it difficult to really level up your pokemon.

I also don't do battles or anything with any real people. So, I find it useful to have one.
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Flushed
down the drain.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Flushed
Back in the day I had no access to Lugia, Ho-Oh, or Deoxys. So I used AR for the purpose of catching these guys. Nowadays there are far easier ways to replicate the results of AR, i.e. Pokecheck off the top of my head. I never use it for in-game stuff though, just the post-game.
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:46 AM
BloodFrostX
I miss permaweather.

Send a message via Skype™ to BloodFrostX
I only use action replay once I've beaten a game. In Pokemon, I use the action replay to get certain Pokemon I couldn't get myself e.g. Chansey in White Version.
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:25 PM
WildEagle
Call me, Your Royal Freshness

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to WildEagle Send a message via Skype™ to WildEagle
I use AR to get the Challenge key right off the bat in BW2 & usually it to hatch egg faster, get 31 IV's, get hold items & tms.

The pokemons that aren't legitimately caught, I store in another box to make sure I don't trade it away. And by that meaning, I do wild pokemon modifier to catch pokemons that aren't in the wild or re-create my teams for Platinum/SS since I hated the capitalize name and since we can't change it (unless you do it on the game before you transfer), I decide just to re-catch my old partners.

^That's basically what I used my AR for
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:37 PM
TrollShammy80
Loved all Pokemon Since 98'

My only purpose of using an AR...is for breeding

Checking IV/EV's
Getting Eggs
Hatching Them Faster

I will never use it for any other purpose..I use to use it to get Pokemon I couldn't obtain on my own, but I do that no longer

Proud MLP Fan/NCIS/Ghost Hunters/Ghost Adventures/CSI and many others
RIP: Step Mom 7/17/53-7/2/13
RIP: Uncle Jesse ???-1/3/2014
"I do breed for IVs/Ev's...but I always remember to have fun playing Pokemon"
"I always play for fun on my emulators and Y version only"
www.youtube.com/trollshammy80
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:47 PM
PureAurorae
Comrade

Send a message via Skype™ to PureAurorae
I only use it to unlock old event items which I missed at the time (prime example would be the Members Card in Pokemon Platinum)

I don't see nothing wrong with using it to make the Pokemons IV's max though.
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:49 PM
CptSwaggerPants
Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to CptSwaggerPants
I have Aspergers so...I got hooked on N, wanting to be him and so fourth. Before Pokemon White and Black 2, when you defeated him and he fly off and his castle crumbled and you couldn't go back to it, I used the walk through walls cheat to try and find his castle...

Skuntank Pro

Almost always online. X/Y FC: 0189 9159 0185

LF: Arceus 5/6 IV or shiny Giratina Adamant 5/6IV.
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:40 AM
atomtanned

I use it to make the game faster, essentially, because I play SLOWLY. I play for Dex completion, and I train every Pokemon I catch. EXP codes to speed up the grinding process, instant egg/fast hatch, etc. I also use it to clone Pokemon and to trigger events that are impossible to get.

I used to use it to get Pokemon I couldn't get otherwise, but now I trade or download legit Pokemon from Pokecheck, instead of hacking. I like having Pokemon from other trainers, it's more fun.

Friend Codes
X: Serena {2638-0348-2480}
Y: Allyson {2638-0348-2480}
HeartGold: Lyra {3526-6386-3822}

Challenges:
Pokemon Y Wonderlocke

tumblr || backlog

Old September 11th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Arlo

I use it on the fourth gen and earlier games for extra TMs. There's a code for R/S/E that duplicates any item you use so you never run out, and that's the easiest way to do it. For DPPt, I just add extra TMs to my bag as I need them. I do that because I like to use lots of different pokemon through the course of a game, and there's no way that I can pick just one to get a TM move.

Since TMs are reusable in fifth gen, I don't need to do that any more so I stopped. Then I ran across the show IVs/EVs codes, which are great (I used to use an IV calculator to try to figure out IVs), so I've started using it again for that.
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:18 PM
OmegaTL
Time Lord

Nature: Timid
I use it to experiment with various codes and that's it. I don't use it to cheat.

Planned X/Y team so far: Fennekin evo, Charizard, Blaziken, ???, ???, ???
Like Doctor Who? Come join us at Peladon!
Old September 20th, 2013, 02:22 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

I use it for cloning, checking IVS, etc. I also use it to walk through objects, just for fun (particularly if you're on a new save file and can obtain DPBox).
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old September 20th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Lunarose
replaced by lies

Nature: Modest
I've only ever used it for getting unlimited items/potions. I used to use it a lot a long time ago but now I kind of see it as cheating. I would only use it after I completed the elite four and everything else. (Not saying that people shouldn't use it, just I don't enjoy using it in my game anymore)
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:59 PM
LyokoGirl5000
Lyoko Princess

I use it to get events that aren't available anymore, see an egg's contents and to level up faster for evolutions. I don't trade or go online with hacked Pokemon. It ruins the fun.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here