Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games
Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 11th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Dragon

Nature: Modest
Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0

Advertise here

How much do you value video game remakes? You know, the video games that are remade from an older system, to a more recent system, however, you're basically playing the exact same game, just in HD. Would you say, buy a game that you already own in an older system, that's coming out in a newer recent system? Maybe you would say that playing the same game in HD would seem like you're exploring an entirely different world?

What do you think? Share all thoughts if you wish~!

Video Games • Welcome Lounge • pair • twin
[credit] • [Super Smash Bros.] • [twitter] • [Hyrule Warriors] • [SHS Wife]
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Colfer
Up, Up and Away

Nature: Relaxed
If a game gets remade I feel it needs a little something else to keep me interested like the tom clancy splinter cell remakes they are okay just better graphics with the stuff I already seen. Just like Fable TLC HD Remake for Xbox360 just has some new paint and nothing new. So new features would be nice just not too much to where it seems like a different game.

Let the Blaze burn!
Coming Soon:
Pokemon Blazing Blue
Still need members to help with alot of the game.
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:09 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I'm a fan of remakes. They help games become known by a wider audience, instead of just the people who bought the game first time around.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Bayonetta 2 and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Pokémon X

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:11 AM
ShadowE
Got a whole lot of love
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
It depends... I love the remake of Age of Empires II, but i didnt like the remake of Medal of Honor: Frontline at all, there was no visible improvement in it.
Old September 11th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

If I play the remake of a game that I've never even touched before, then I will enjoy it. If I've played the original game, then I'll enjoy playing its remake as well, but sometimes, it just wouldn't feel the same. ): I've played a lot of video game remakes, and some of my favorites are Star Fox 64 3D, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, and Super Mario 64 DS.
for all distractions.

Last edited by Peitharchia; September 11th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
It depends on how well they are done, really. In general I liked all the remakes I've played off the top of my head, such as Super mario 64 DS and Pokemon HGSS, Especially latter with plethora of gameplay.
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:48 PM
UltraNerdtendo64
Retro Reviver!

Nature: Quiet
Not a big fan of remakes because sometimes they actually lower the the difficulty or just make it bad in general from my perspective. (Pokemon Heart Gold... 3=<) A good remake I can only think of though is Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (GBA).
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Azure Rathalδs
WOOP WOOP WOOP
Community Supporter

I like remakes especially console to portable ports like Ocarina of Time 3D. I only really like them when a game becomes hard to get due to it's platform being discontinued.

| TuMbLr [X] | ReViEwBlOg [X] |
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:47 AM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
I'm a fan of remakes because most of the time they bring something new to the table like a gameplay element or an area, but there are certain remakes that I'll buy simply because of the enhanced graphics or if it's being released for a portable console. Still waiting for a Donkey Kong 64 remake though.
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I don't really mind it, especially if I don't have the original hardware (or a copy of the game in question) to play the original version.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Jeremy
Sweetie
Community Supporter

I enjoy remakes for 2 reasons, sweeties:
1. A way to get people to enjoy the game if they didn't get to the first time around/
2. To see what they have changed since the first game.

Facebook Twitter

Old September 12th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

Nature: Quiet
Unless there are additional features other than simply graphic improvements such as additional quests, weapons, etc. I usually don't care for remakes no matter how hard I see it being pushed.

Gotta love the high life.
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:57 AM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
I am usually not interested in remakes, unless they add new features (Pokémon remakes come to mind) , or the graphical enhancements are really huge (for instance, I don't care about re-releases of PS2 games in HD on the PS3, but I'm really curious about those HD remakes of Castle of Illusion and Duck Tales) .

Friend codes:
Electric-type Safari: 4468-2370-5617 (Electrode - Pikachu - Galvantula) | Dark-type Safari: 1134-8222-3179 (Nuzleaf - Cacturne - Liepard)
PM before adding. If you don't mention which code you added, I will NOT add you back.
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Jet Pilot
I killed Spiderman.

Nature: Bashful
I'm still playing Windwaker to this day on my Gamecube, I only wish I had a Wii-U now.
I'd be willing to pay for that. Having a remake really depends on the game.. sometimes it's just not worth it. In this case though, it's worth every cent.

Do YOU want a spam section?
Vote for POKESpam2014.
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Nathan
prince
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
It depends. If they only improve the graphics, I see no need in buying it. However, if they improve the gameplay, add some new features/quests then I'll gladly buy it.
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Airhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNathan View Post
It depends. If they only improve the graphics, I see no need in buying it. However, if they improve the gameplay, add some new features/quests then I'll gladly buy it.

I share this response. But I won't buy another version of the game if it's only offering one more feature, like a new map or something, haha. xD
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Tsutarja
Happy Halloween!

Nature: Jolly
I love video game remakes! It usually gives me a nostalgic feeling, especially if it's a game I've already played that's getting remade, with more modern graphics and sound.

Happy Halloween!
mod pairs family tumblr twitter pc social sites
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Lamp
Show me your Moves! :P

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Lamp
I only like Remakes if it's like a Game i never Played before or a Game that has a Change in it. :D
Lamp Shall Conquer the Galaxy! For those Who believe Lamp is there New Lord then Post this on your Sig and I Shall give you Pennies oh wait...They're Extinct! Hah! XD
Old September 25th, 2013, 07:39 PM
90FC3C
original character, do not steal

I like that Sonic 2 HD Remix thing or whatever it's called, they pulled it off really well. Plus the Pokémon remakes. The EA|HD ports from Xbox to 360 are nice too, even though not strictly remakes; plus I get to use a nice controller with them and not the crappy old Xbox controller.
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Depends if they keep gameplay mostly intact with a few additions here and there. Star Fox 64 3D was the same game as SF64, which put some people off, but I liked it because it was great to see the game I beat so many times with better graphics. Another example of this is Perfect Dark. It was brought up to date for release in the XBLA, and it didn't need anything other than improved graphics because the original game kicked so much ass it could stand by its own as a separate release.

There are remakes, like XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which are almost a different game due to the approach the devs made. I'm not very familiar with the new game but the only thing that seems to have remained is the turn-based strategy element. The rest, they had to rebuild from the ground up.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:09 AM
KriegStein
Nuclear Reactor

I like remakes...if they are worth making. What I mean is that turning a 8-16 bit game to hd 2d-3d is great. But just polishing a game that came just a few years ago is pointless. In my opinion. Id like to see old classics remastered and maybe given new game mechanics etc.

Old September 28th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Darkwing Ducklett
Let's get dangerous

Proper remakes - that is, re-releases with additional content - I will buy most of the time if I enjoyed the original. It depends on what the new content is, as well, and how much of it there is; if I'm going to be paying for the same game again, I like to get my money's worth. A graphical overhaul and maybe a couple of extra costumes or additional scenario or whatever, if I've played the game before, just won't cut it for me if the game wasn't that exceptional to begin with.

Remasters, which are essentially the same game with a shiny new coat of paint...not so much. Really it depends on the system for me, and how recently it's been since I've played the game. As an example, I played OOT on the Gamecube, and I can easily put the disc into my Wii, so I avoided the 3DS remaster; it didn't offer anything substantial for me that I hadn't already seen before. But it's been several years since I played FFX and X-2, and digging up my PS2 would be a royal nuisance, so the second the remasters get released (if they ever do...) I'll be all over them.

I do wish that companies would use remasters and remakes as a way of making their lesser known or harder to find titles more readily available, though, rather than as cash cows. Games like God of War and The Legend of Zelda don't really need HD remasters - they're everywhere. You can buy a second-hand console and the game for about the same price as the remaster if you go to the right place. Titles like Zone of the Enders and ICO/Shadow of the Colossus, which are hard to find and/or painfully expensive, however, definitely benefit from the treatment, because I know I'd never pay more than retail price for a game several years old, no matter how good it is.
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

I don't know why I purchased Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and Sonic CD again in HD. I can easily access the games on my Gamecube still. I still haven't beat two of those! I guess I like getting the PS3 trophies and raising more Chao.
Even if it's a short life, burn hot and bright and overtake the moment. That's my way of life.
Old September 28th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Ari Niko
Sincerity

Nature: Bold
I'll usually get them if I liked the game. Its nice to experience them all over again, and why not in a higher resolution!

I just hate using different controllers though
5026-4431-0126 - 3DS FC | Soundcloud
Old October 24th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Bruce Banner
Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Banner
Under two circumstances do I get remakes:

1.) If I don't have the game in the first place

2.) If the game is part of a collection.

The only exception would be Ocarina of Time for 3DS.
Sisters | Brother | Pairs
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here