The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Scripts & Tutorials

Notices

Scripts & Tutorials This forum is for scripts and code, as well as all kinds of tutorials, software, tools and so forth. Remember to give credit!
The thread revival limit does not apply here.

Advertise here

Old September 6th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Alexandre

Nature: Lonely

Advertise here
Hey everyone, some of you might remember a few years ago my project Pokemon Essentials: Online which combined Netplay and Essentials to allow people to make an MMORPG. The kit was buggy and hard to implement into existing projects. I decided to complete the project but in terms of plug and play scripts which add only necessary online functions such as trading and battling. The scripts included have the following basic features implemented:
  • Register
  • Login
  • Trade
  • Battle

These scripts are beta, bugs are to be expected, if you encounter one, please report it

Download
Beta 2
Beta 1

Known Issues:
  • Certain items used in battle do not sync their animations, such as the throwing of pokeballs

Future Plans
  • Get some better graphics for the trade screen, they're very ugly. I'm no graphics designer, anyone want to do some?
  • Add wait message in battle system when waiting for other player to choose
  • Add a proper request system when requesting trade and battle, the current one is a very poor implementation although it works
  • Optimise and streamline trade, battle and server code
  • Add debugging to server, was present in original RMX-OS code but didn't add it when I rewrote the server line by line

Thanks
  • Blizzard - big thanks to him for all his work on RMX-OS, without it, none of this would have been possible. Server based off his code.
  • Maruno - advice on how I can implement the battle system
  • Luka S.J - inspiration

Misc

By the way, I recommend using the script found here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307989. It will allow you to run two clients at the same time which will make testing a lot easier.

And another heads up. The battle system has 0 modifications to the actual scene so if I'm playing my cards right, your game's battle graphics will be used even in the online scene.

Hit me up for feature requests and I'll see what I can do.

Bugs fixed in the next version
  • None so far

Donations
I don't accept donations but if you wish to support me then please send some money towards the Children of Syria appeal here: http://www.warchild.org.uk/donate.

I come from Lebanon and the country is deteriorating under the huge pressure of 800,000 Syrian refugees. If you do choose to donate, PM me here with a screenshot of your donation, it will really make my day.

Last edited by Alexandre; September 11th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:11 AM
venom12
Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to venom12
Great you back with online project, and those features man, it is so great. I hope it will be bigger :D

Old September 7th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Peaverin

Excellent Script, Alexandre! I've tested it and I've got a bug and a suggestion:
-(bug) You can connect the same account with two different clients.
-(suggestion) I think that instead asking for trading and battling and then for a name, there should be a list of all players and you can select a player and choose between battling or trading. Then a message will appear in the selected player asking for the trade or the battle.

Anyways the system looks very good, I would like a lot to use this feature into my game.
Thanks
Old September 8th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Alexandre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaverin View Post
Excellent Script, Alexandre! I've tested it and I've got a bug and a suggestion:
-(bug) You can connect the same account with two different clients.
-(suggestion) I think that instead asking for trading and battling and then for a name, there should be a list of all players and you can select a player and choose between battling or trading. Then a message will appear in the selected player asking for the trade or the battle.

Anyways the system looks very good, I would like a lot to use this feature into my game.
Thanks
The bug is something I thought I fixed. I'll have a look at it again.

Your suggestion is exactly what I want to implement, my only problem is I'm not sure yet how to handle the receiving of requests. Do I put them in a list and you can choose which request you respond to? How do I handle requests that have died, how do I notify the player that they have received a new request? All these things are what made me implement requests as they are now.

And please feel free to use it in your game, remember to credit Blizzard

Edit:
So I looked at that bug and for some reason the fix isn't there. I must have modified one of my backups instead of my working directory by accident, it will be fixed in the next version, cheers!

Last edited by Alexandre; September 8th, 2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old September 8th, 2013, 04:14 AM
Peaverin

-I think that first you have to show the options battle or trade, and create two separate lists for those who want to battle and for those who want to trade. Then, when someone requests for battle/trade other player, it appears the message on the other screen player, and he/she has 20 seconds to answer. A player cannot be requested by other players if he is already being requested.

-Other option is create the 2 separate lists, and if a player requests other player, its name appears in blue color in the other player list, so you'll se blue the name of those who sent you a request. Then if you select some of those with blue name, the battle/trade will automatically start.

I don't know what will be easier to you for do, I'm just giving some ideas.
Old September 10th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Alexandre

I really thought this would generate more interest...

Anyway an update for you guys who are following. Tomorrow I will be releasing beta 2 which fixes some bugs and includes account management such as changing password, forgot password etc.

Along with this I will be offering a service to people who want to implement PE:O in their games but don't want to have their computer running all the time for the server. I have the server running on a webhost online and it works perfectly. Please PM if you would like me to run a server instance for your game and we can organise something. I will be working on an administration panel for you to be able to manage your server.

Cheers.
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:56 PM
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

Nature: Calm
Well I think it's a pretty cool feature! Here's hoping the beta 2 release goes well.
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Alexandre

Beta 2 released! Contains bug fixes and account management features.

Beta 3 planned features:
-Admin control panel to do things such as restart server, ban users etc
-Mystery gift implementation - place a file on the server which it will load, probably just to set a switch/variable on the client
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:04 PM
tylerab01
Pokemon AquaHarmony

Nature: Bold
Nice seeing you back Alexandre, I am glad to see that you are working on this project again and I will be keeping an eye on this for sure!

Old September 12th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Tayuya of the Sound Four

Oh My Gosh you have no idea how wonderful this is to me. I've spent countless days trying to take apart old Pokemon Essentials Online to adapt it with my game and now my hours off work...don't really pay off but they're over at least! o u o. Anyway the real point of this post was to point out a few bugs I noticed while testing:
1. After a trade you are sent back to the login page as opposed to the Battle/Trade/Account page, which isn't bad in and of itself but you can't log back in once your sent to the login page. Nothing major, it can be fixed by leaving the login and then reconnecting to the server.
2. After a trade the game doesn't force a save (I'm going to look in to the code and see if I can't add that in myself) So if one person saves and the other person doesn't the pokemon is cloned and not traded. Again nothing big just pointing it out.
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:55 AM
orcywoo6

I must say great work on your system, unfortunately I can't seem to get the mysql server working though. I get an error along the lines of 'Table storage engine for '' doesn't have this option' and if I try to run main.rb it appears and disappears in a split second.
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Alexandre

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcywoo6 View Post
I must say great work on your system, unfortunately I can't seem to get the mysql server working though. I get an error along the lines of 'Table storage engine for '' doesn't have this option' and if I try to run main.rb it appears and disappears in a split second.
That error is normal when importing the database, not quite sure what causes it. Are you sure you entered the correct details for the MySQL server in main.rb?
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:37 AM
orcywoo6

Hmm, positive the details are correct, followed the guide to the letter.
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Alexandre

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcywoo6 View Post
Hmm, positive the details are correct, followed the guide to the letter.
And you're perfectly able to connect with HeidiSQL or another database manager?
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:42 AM
orcywoo6

Yeah it lets me put the details in and execute the database and etc.
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Alexandre

For the few people following this, I'm sorry for the lack of updates recently. I just started university again and I'm busy with some other commitments. I don't have anything to release apart from some bug fixes which don't warrant a new beta. Please do keep submitting feature requests and bug reports, I will get to them eventually.
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:43 AM
zingzags
Creator or Pokemon Serenity

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre View Post
For the few people following this, I'm sorry for the lack of updates recently. I just started university again and I'm busy with some other commitments. I don't have anything to release apart from some bug fixes which don't warrant a new beta. Please do keep submitting feature requests and bug reports, I will get to them eventually.
I feel you, I am working on a MapleStory project in a different forum and I cannot update as quick as I want to because of school.
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old September 27th, 2013, 01:30 AM
khkramer

Are savegames stored in the mysql database like rmx-os or are they stored locally?

Check out the MMORPG I'm developing:

• Trading • PvP • Co-Op
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Alexandre

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkramer View Post
Are savegames stored in the mysql database like rmx-os or are they stored locally?
Locally stored. I was thinking of storing them on the server but that would force people to be connected to the internet to play. I guess I could have it so you can upload and download your save to the server.
Old September 27th, 2013, 10:47 AM
ShadowFiendZX
Gym Leader

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to ShadowFiendZX
Would there be a way to have all these files off a website so I wouldn't need to use my computer? There's several reasons why I can't use my computer, My dad wouldn't even consider letting me port forward, he frequently shuts off the wifi, executing the SQL in HeidiSQL gave several errors, and after running Main.rb it crashed in like 5 seconds.

I followed the instructions word for word.

Old September 27th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Alexandre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFiendZX View Post
Would there be a way to have all these files off a website so I wouldn't need to use my computer? There's several reasons why I can't use my computer, My dad wouldn't even consider letting me port forward, he frequently shuts off the wifi, executing the SQL in HeidiSQL gave several errors, and after running Main.rb it crashed in like 5 seconds.

I followed the instructions word for word.
Please let me know which errors appeared so I can help you.
Old September 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM
ShadowFiendZX
Gym Leader

It does this every time I press the blue play button.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Error.png
Views:	16
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	69729

I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen, or if anything happens after that, but I press Ok, and nothing happens, and pressing the blue button again ends with the same result.

Not knowing if the above was supposed to happen, I tried Main.rb and it shows this, then closes after a few seconds.

Name:	CMD.png
Views:	13
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	69730
Old September 27th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Alexandre

Those warnings are normal, not sure what is causing them.

The server isnt starting because it can't connect to the SMTP server. Make sure your SMTP settings are correct.

And with regard to hosting the server online, it is very possible to do. I can host one for you if you like and give you the IP and port for you to put in your client. I can't do that now though, I'm very busy.
Old September 28th, 2013, 11:08 AM
ShadowFiendZX
Gym Leader

I opened Main.rb again, and realized I typed my password wrong. lol sorry. I'm about to test it now on my game, although if you could still tell me how to host it on my website, that'd be great. Also, if it is possible to host this on a website, would it be possible for some sort of GTS, where you "upload" your pokemon for everyone to see, and you choose what you'd like in return for that pokemon? Thanks

I just battled myself by using 2 windows, and the two windows had 2 different things happening, I won on both screens...

Name:	winwin.png
Views:	41
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	69746

Also, clicking "pokemon" opened bag, and clicking "bag" opened pokemon

Last edited by ShadowFiendZX; September 28th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old September 28th, 2013, 01:16 PM
rescuecp

My server CMD stops at connecting to SMTP server and yet all my information is correct...Also how do you make it so when you launch your game it goes right away to a login/register window?

...So let's put our faces in the snow!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here