• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Development: The Follow Me Script

Kaphotics

♥ Quick Claw Guillotine ♥
Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2018
Figured out how to do it in B2W2; no shenanigans like adding the overworld to every map.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
About two months ago (before I even knew what "push {r1}" ment, lol) I read almost this entire thread to see what was going on here. At one point, Jambo mentioned looking into the unuesed createsprite command. For those of you who don't know, this command create an ow on screen that can only move in place. You can walk through it, but that is about it. This gave me an idea:

What if we modified the routine of the command to create a sprite that would just do your last movement, such as walking and running, in the exact same spot of the person you want to follow you. Then, hide the sprite of the that person, so now only the virtual sprite is on screen.

Now, warps: we could have the routine set a flag for being on, then a var for which Ow number is following, then make a small branch in the loading routine of the player after being warped that checks if the flag set by the create sprite command is active, then loads the correct ow from the var. This sprite would then appear after taking your first step and the modified createsprite command would take over, causeing them to follow you.

I don't know if this is possible, but it sure beats setting an OW on everymap.... Though, that is how GameFreak did secret bases....:p Let's be smarter than them, haha.

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2013
I am VERY new to making Pokemon edits... But I'd love for there to be a script that let's pokemon follow you in the overworld.

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2013
To do this with just scripting is impossible/it will look terrible. I'm currently researching a way to allow warps to work with this, but it will be some time before it is finished.

I hope this can be figured out though in the near future... When I was younger I didn't know you could make hacks of the GBA games (mostly because that was back in 2005) but I made stories and my own region. But I made maps on paint. But with Advanced Map I'm starting to make them and right a story with it. I was hoping it will be done by the time I'm ready to release a beta.

Can't wait. Keep working hard on it and if you need any help I may be of some assistance having some experience in the scripting world.

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2014
There's some impressive Follow Me scripts here O_o. It's too bad that the codes for some of them are bein' kept secret ; ;.

I tried making one myself about a year ago, and got it to kinda-sorta work.

You can watch a clip of it at youtube, but I can't link >.< Too few posts. Here is the end-trail of stuff for youtube: GHFzznDSjVE (youtube.com/watch?v=GHFzznDSjVE)

Unfortunately, it doesn't account for ledges, bikes or map changing =/. I was able to make up for the map changing by re-spawning and moving the sprite, but this would need to be done for each map >.<. This is why I don't use it much, since that is a huge pain D:.

If you want the scripts for this, I'll post what i have. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly how I set it up before >.<. Also, I had trouble getting it to work for anything other then the hacked firered engine.

- new user: Adura~

Last edited:

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Okay, so this is a shot in the dark, but there's probably a way to fix the surfing/bike issue. My idea is just to hide the follower's sprite, but keep it moving right behind the player. Person events can still move even if they are hidden, so whenever the player uses Surf or the bike, just hide the sprite but keep it moving at the same speed right behind them. Then, when they get off, have the sprite reappear behind them (this could screw up with Surfing because the Pokemon would appear over the water, so maybe have it reappear on the same spot as the player). This would be pretty hard since the scripts for those two things are not regular scripts so it'd probably be tricky to edit the hidesprite thing, as well as having the sprite automatically move to wherever the player is on every map). But that's my take on it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2013
That sounds like it could work. If you do a force the sprite to your tile it could work.

Years
I don't know if this will be useful since I know nothing about hacking or any of these stuff... But there is a game called Mother 3 (kick ass game btw).

In this game the whole party walks behind your main character, following each one of his moves.

Maybe somebody could look a bit into the game programing stuff and use it on Pokémon games for a follow me script. There's a team who made an english translation of the game (since it wasn't available outside of Japan), the game turn out with no problems, so maybe those guys can give some sort of help. One of them goes by the nickname Tomato...

Hope this helps...

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
I don't know if this will be useful since I know nothing about hacking or any of these stuff... But there is a game called Mother 3 (kick ass game btw).

In this game the whole party walks behind your main character, following each one of his moves.

Maybe somebody could look a bit into the game programing stuff and use it on Pokémon games for a follow me script. There's a team who made an english translation of the game (since it wasn't available outside of Japan), the game turn out with no problems, so maybe those guys can give some sort of help. One of them goes by the nickname Tomato...

Hope this helps...

If you knew anything about GBA programming you would know that just "looking" at the "code" (which all has to be researched first) doesn't work. Heck, we hardly know half of what the Fire Red code does, so picking up a completely unresearched game is pretty much pointless considering it's taken us years to figure out how the FR engine works (to an extent).

TLDR; No. Just no.

karatekid552

Years
If you knew anything about GBA programming you would know that just "looking" at the "code" (which all has to be researched first) doesn't work. Heck, we hardly know half of what the Fire Red code does, so picking up a completely unresearched game is pretty much pointless considering it's taken us years to figure out how the FR engine works (to an extent).

TLDR; No. Just no.

Jambo51 was the closest to getting this working. But now he is done with hacking, so I wonder if he will let me work on it.... Shinyqaugsire, the only issue was warping. Any ideas? Mine was to hack the almost useless createsprite command, which does have OAM data and work with that.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I'm glad this is still looked after, after all these years. Also, JPAN ended up reworking a huge portion of the game engine in a huge patch he made a while back... if only he'd do it... lol.

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
Years
I'm not sure how do it work, on BW was kinda funny xD
I know DPP have a "demo"for it on that park but just with a few pokemon, we can't do something like using the HgSs script and maybe the pokemon sprites to work a like?
(Also I'm thinking about like taking the maps from Pl, for example and putting everything on HgSs or BW engine XD but it's subject for another thread XD)

karatekid552

Years
I'm not sure how do it work, on BW was kinda funny xD
I know DPP have a "demo"for it on that park but just with a few pokemon, we can't do something like using the HgSs script and maybe the pokemon sprites to work a like?
(Also I'm thinking about like taking the maps from Pl, for example and putting everything on HgSs or BW engine XD but it's subject for another thread XD)

This is GBA, which had absolutely nothing to do with NDS. The coding is completely different. Mind you, it is hard coded into all of the games that have it, not a stand-alone script.

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
Years
oh I see. but the idea is to make only one "thing" follow you, like on the BW example or make it work like in hg/ss?

karatekid552

Years
oh I see. but the idea is to make only one "thing" follow you, like on the BW example or make it work like in hg/ss?

If you read this thread, or looked on Jambo51's youtube, you would see that he has already accomplished this. The only issue is we can't find a way to load the sprite on warp. Soon I will begin working on this.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Mind you, it is hard coded into all of the games that have it, not a stand-alone script.

That's because it HAS to be hardcoded, by definition. The GBA does nothing without code, and having a sprite "follow" you is among the more difficult things to achieve in ASM.

However, writing a new engine from scratch actually makes it relatively simple to achieve.

Anyway, technically, everything is hardcoded into the GBA games. Scripts are just combinations of pre-set pieces of code, after all.

karatekid552

Years
That's because it HAS to be hardcoded, by definition. The GBA does nothing without code, and having a sprite "follow" you is among the more difficult things to achieve in ASM.

However, writing a new engine from scratch actually makes it relatively simple to achieve.

Anyway, technically, everything is hardcoded into the GBA games. Scripts are just combinations of pre-set pieces of code, after all.

I tend to think of scripting as a higher level language, per se. I know how it all interlocks, but it just helps when thinking about how things work. What I was trying to say is that there is no way to do it with scripting alone and have it actually look good. ASM needs to be used.

Sending a pm to you, one sec...

Back