Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Reload this Page DCC Developers, developers, developers, developers

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Closed Thread

Old September 8th, 2013 (06:35 PM).
ModeratorCS

Nature: Jolly
I wish Bluetooth was available on my non-portable devices (including my laptops).. that way I could transfer files between my Nexus to my computer without the need of a USB connection.
Old September 8th, 2013 (07:21 PM).
A Scene In Between

Sometimes, I forget that Bluetooth even exists. xD It's a very advanced feature, and I know that I have it in my phone, but I never use it. If I ever want to connect my phone to the computer, I just take out the USB cable and do it the old-fashioned way. I've never really owned much things that utilize Bluetooth, either, such as a wireless keyboard or mouse.
Old September 8th, 2013 (08:48 PM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Hasty
Hehe, I'm used to Bluetooth being around. It's been there in basically every but the most basic of phones - I actually got into fooling around with Bluetooth stuff with a Nokia 6230 way back. I expect to be able to use Bluetooth well in most portable devices now.
Old September 9th, 2013 (03:44 AM).
ModeratorCS

I'm typically always reminded of Bluetooth's existence in that on my tablet there's a shortcut button to have it enabled or disabled. And Bluetooth would be nice to have if the usage of it in iOS wasn't so limited.. a lot of my friends from last school year had Android phones and they used Bluetooth functionality to transfer pictures around, while in iOS you aren't able to use Bluetooth for that function.
Old September 9th, 2013 (04:27 AM).
You idiot!

Bluetooth was a hit for us here cos we were able to transfer songs/gifs/pictures from our phones to others'. I still remember the bluetooth 'parties' I had with my class during excursions.

Haven't be using it recently due to this iPhone boom happening here (I am not using a iPhone, but most of my friends are) and also the lack of taking pictures. Anyway, nobody uses bluetooth to transfer pictures, they are now using Whatsapp via 3G/WiFi to transfer pictures now.

I never used bluetooth to transfer things from a device to my PC because I find it too unreliable and slow. Always used the good old USB cable because its reliable, fast and I just feel safe using it.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old September 9th, 2013 (09:12 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

I really like the simplicity of using a wire to transfer data these days. I kind of miss syncing my phone at this point - it's unable to sync for over a week since there is no real PC around right now.
Old September 9th, 2013 (09:53 AM).
Why do I beat the living hell out of myself?
Platinum Tier

I don't have bluetooth, but I used to have an earpiece that was bluetooth. I loved using it 'cause my phone was a POS and the earpiece looked really sleek and nice.

For file transfers I just use AirDroid, since my sister took my USB phone charger and gave me her Kindle charger, under some guise that her's "didn't work". Now I have to ask her to borrow the charger, and my computer doesn't ever want to recognize the drivers, so just screw it.
Old September 9th, 2013 (02:07 PM).
ModeratorCS

I really could use a longer-legnth USB cable to use with my Nexus 7, that's for sure.. but too bad it's the only mini USB cable in my house, and I'm not really in the mood to go blowing money on a USB cable. :p

Quote originally posted by AlexTheRose:
For file transfers I just use AirDroid, since my sister took my USB phone charger and gave me her Kindle charger, under some guise that her's "didn't work". Now I have to ask her to borrow the charger, and my computer doesn't ever want to recognize the drivers, so just screw it.
Out of curiosity, is this a Kindle Fire we're talking about or an OG Kindle? I'm not sure what interface they use but I'm sure your sister is better off looking for a new USB cable instead of just "borrowing" yours. Hopefully she finds her own cable soon, though.
Old September 9th, 2013 (03:58 PM).
Nothing of significance

Quote originally posted by ZachLMedia:
I really could use a longer-legnth USB cable to use with my Nexus 7, that's for sure.. but too bad it's the only mini USB cable in my house, and I'm not really in the mood to go blowing money on a USB cable. :p
I had the same problem. Bought a 9FT one off of ebay, they have loads of them sometimes called Micro USB cables. It cost about $3 shipped from Montréal, you could get it much cheaper if you don't mind waiting a few weeks and order from Shanghai or Seoul.
Old September 9th, 2013 (04:15 PM).
ModeratorCS

Oops, I meant to say micro >__> sometimes I just get over-confident in what I post I don't even proofread it

I'll look around for sure if I can find one.. because a longer cable would certainly help me with being able to use my tablet before going to sleep while lying down in bed
Old September 14th, 2013 (12:04 AM).
A Scene In Between

What are your thoughts on Ubuntu's phone OS, guys?

I personally don't know much about its features or what it can offer that other OS can't, but I really like their interface design. It looks very simple, stylish, and modern. I totally love it. (:

They were planning to make their own smartphone with this OS called Ubuntu Edge, but they had to drop the project since they weren't able to raise enough crowd funding, which is quite sad. I probably wouldn't buy this phone (I already have enough phones for now), but I'm sure other people would. If they had actually released this phone, then it would have been able to take Ubuntu to a whole new level in terms of popularity.
Old September 14th, 2013 (03:15 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Perdition Haze:
What are your thoughts on Ubuntu's phone OS, guys?

I personally don't know much about its features or what it can offer that other OS can't, but I really like their interface design. It looks very simple, stylish, and modern. I totally love it. (:

They were planning to make their own smartphone with this OS called Ubuntu Edge, but they had to drop the project since they weren't able to raise enough crowd funding, which is quite sad. I probably wouldn't buy this phone (I already have enough phones for now), but I'm sure other people would. If they had actually released this phone, then it would have been able to take Ubuntu to a whole new level in terms of popularity.
Same about being such a latecomer. Trying to go upmarket at this point is a waste of money when you have two entrenched opponents, all of the old guard falling apart, and Windows Phone being a distant third.

I wonder whether I'll even see them in stores here...
Old September 14th, 2013 (05:15 AM).
ModeratorCS

I heard that Ubuntu was wanting to make a smartphone operating system, but I have no interest in it.. and I'm not sure if they're still developing it or not, but there's no way it would see the attention like iOS, Android, or even Windows Phone OS.
Old September 14th, 2013 (07:21 AM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
but guys…………………………

what if they make it extra goodly

Old September 14th, 2013 (08:08 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by droomph:
but guys…………………………

what if they make it extra goodly
Case in point: Windows Phone

I don't really hold much hope.
Old September 15th, 2013 (05:33 AM).
ModeratorCS

Windows Phone does seem interesting and it definitely looks more different than iOS and Android in terms of its general layout. I also only saw one person across my entire school from last year as well that had a Windows Phone.
Old September 15th, 2013 (06:16 AM).
A Scene In Between

I've never owned a Windows Phone before, but I did try one out while I was at a local phone shop few months ago. It seemed to have an awesome call quality, which almost made you feel as if you were talking to the person face-to-face. This phone was extremely light compared to most other phones, and it felt really nice to have it on your hands. Also, you were able to charge the phone wirelessly, which was quite epic! n__n The only thing that I didn't like about it was its limited storage capacity.
Old September 15th, 2013 (06:39 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

I've never owned a Windows Phone before, but I did try one out while I was at a local phone shop few months ago. It seemed to have an awesome call quality, which almost made you feel as if you were talking to the person face-to-face. This phone was extremely light compared to most other phones, and it felt really nice to have it on your hands. Also, you were able to charge the phone wirelessly, which was quite epic! n__n The only thing that I didn't like about it was its limited storage capacity.
Sounds like the Nokia Lumia 920, with its built-in wireless charging.

The fun thing about said phone is that it's actually one of the heaviest phones around - over 180 grams, if I remember correctly. (Hm...)
Old September 15th, 2013 (05:59 PM).
A Scene In Between

Is Nokia Lumia 920 the only Windows Phone that has access to this wireless charging feature? o: If not, then it must have been some other model, because when I was holding it, it didn't feel too heavy to me at all.

I may buy a Windows Phone next year, because I've grown kind of tired of my iPhone. There are Android phones, but I already had one of those three years ago. ): Windows Phone don't have a great selection of apps, but the only apps that I really need are Opera Mini, Skype, and Spotify.
Old September 15th, 2013 (06:13 PM). Edited September 16th, 2013 by Tsutarja.
ModeratorCS

How about the new Nokia 1020 with the 43-megapixel camera? Do y'all have thoughts on that?

I'm kinda intrigued at the megapixel value of the 1020's camera, because how good will the quality be? Amount of megapixels ≠ quality of the photo.
Old September 15th, 2013 (09:34 PM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Is Nokia Lumia 920 the only Windows Phone that has access to this wireless charging feature? o: If not, then it must have been some other model, because when I was holding it, it didn't feel too heavy to me at all.

I may buy a Windows Phone next year, because I've grown kind of tired of my iPhone. There are Android phones, but I already had one of those three years ago. ): Windows Phone don't have a great selection of apps, but the only apps that I really need are Opera Mini, Skype, and Spotify.
Hehe. The 1020, 925, 820, 720, and if I remember correctly, 620 also has support, as long as you tack on a case. Still way lighter than the 920.

Good thing Nokia Xpress exists... but I hope you're getting a Nokia. The other two are already there.

How about the new Nokia 1020 with the 43-megapixel camera? Do y'all have thoughts on that?

I'm kinda intrigued at the megapixel value of the 1020's camera, because how good will the quality be? Amount of megapixels ≠ quality of the phot.
It also has a 2/3" sensor, which is significantly larger than the sensors found in most smartphones (1/3"-3.2" - 4x area difference at the very least)) Big sensors, big pixels in 5 MP (it uses the 41 megapixels for something), nice pictures.
Old September 17th, 2013 (05:48 AM).
ModeratorCS

I kinda figured this was going to happen, but it seems my fingers have gotten used to my tablet, and nowadays whenever I try to type on my iPod Touch I can't seem to type properly.. as much as I want to stop using my iPod, I can't because I use iMessage to stay in touch with my parents when they aren't home..
Old September 17th, 2013 (07:10 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

I kinda figured this was going to happen, but it seems my fingers have gotten used to my tablet, and nowadays whenever I try to type on my iPod Touch I can't seem to type properly.. as much as I want to stop using my iPod, I can't because I use iMessage to stay in touch with my parents when they aren't home..
Sounds like me with the split keyboard on Windows RT and my phone's software keyboard. Still, it's not as awkward as you think.

Good news: Laptop repairs are feasible and cheaper on another Toshiba service centre... in East Malaysia. Looks like I'll be able to keep using the laptop.

Bad news: Twelve. Freaking. Weeks. (worst case, yeah, but even then, I won't be looking at my laptop for 4 weeks at the very least, barring some miracle. The reason? Parts.)
Old September 17th, 2013 (04:21 PM).
ModeratorCS

Ouch, 12 weeks?! Well, at least you'll have the same laptop and not a different one, but that also means you'd be without a laptop for pretty much the remainder of the year. :/

I actually have some physical damage on my old Compaq laptop from 2008.. in the upper right corner by the speaker, there's a small chip of plastic that broke off, but at least it's still able to be put into place and it wasn't anything major at all.
Old September 17th, 2013 (04:39 PM).
Nothing of significance

Wow, 12 weeks hurts. Has Toshiba customer support been decent? I have a pretty decent Toshiba that just stopped booting to the BIOS screen one day, when I opened it up, I saw that the CMOS battery connector had bent and broken off. Wonder if that's covered... D:
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)