The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Old August 9th, 2013, 01:55 AM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
Pokémon: Azure Archipelago
Overview:
Azure Archipelago is a hack of Ruby featuring natural mapping, a non-linear map with plenty of side paths and bonus areas, an in depth plot surrounding Team Aqua's home territory, and the full new Azure Archipelago: A tropical island based region set near Hoenn.

Everything but spriting (and maybe drawing the map, we'll see how I do. lol) will be done by myself.

Story:
You are the son or daughter of Professor Maple: One of the top pokémon researchers in the archipelago. Unbeknownst to you, he has been contracted to research a mysterious orange stone, known as the Sunstone. This mystical stone was found in a cavern under the sea which should have been full of water, but was strangely dry. Only after removing the stone did they realize that it has some very troubling powers. While being researched in Mossdeep City, plants all over the island began to wilt, and there were no clouds in sight. Such a power could be very dangerous in the hands of Team Magma, and so it was sent to the Azure Archipelago, right in the heart of Team Aqua's home territory. A place Team Magma wouldn't dare enter... or would they?
Screenshots:

Full Mapshots:
Spoiler:
Videos:
Progress:
Progress To First Preview Release:

Original:
Spoiler:

#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon

Last edited by QuilavaKing; October 27th, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old August 10th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Koala

I don't have a lot to say other than, good luck with this.
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:26 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Looks very impressive so far! :) Are you planning on changing the tiles or sprites? I love your maps but ruby/emerald tiles are usually a big turnoff for me.
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:32 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
Looks very impressive so far! :) Are you planning on changing the tiles or sprites? I love your maps but ruby/emerald tiles are usually a big turnoff for me.
I've been thinking about changing the tileset, although I like emerald (switched to those instead of ruby) tiles quite a bit... I'll look at some of the options and see what I think.

I definitely want custom sprites for the player, dad(who wants professor birch as their dad anyway. :P), rival, gym leaders, etc... but I'm not artistic enough to create them myself, so that depends on if I can get help from others to make the sprites.

The Volcano Pokemon

Old August 11th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

Oh wow, I really love your mapping style. It just makes the R/S/E tiles pop out. I also really like the story. GL on this ~
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Dimebag
To the hell and back ...

Nature: Gentle
Looks pretty awesome !!! Nice mapping I really like it ( along with the R/S/E tiles ). Just a question though , What starters are available ? I saw squirtle in one of the pics does this mean there are Gen I starters or will they be mixed Gen starters ( I / II / III) ?

\m/ KYUSS \m/
Old August 11th, 2013, 12:19 PM
hashtag
king cook

If I was you I definitely wouldn't change the tilesets (at a push maybe the buildings, though) your mapping is beautiful and I think it fits wonderfully well with the tiles. Your maps definitely accentuate how great the R/S/E tileset actually is. Bravo.
The path of the righteous man is beset of all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil me. Blessed is he who, in the name of the charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Old August 11th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Magic

Your mapping is instantly recognisable I remember your maps from years ago when I was a more active member over here.

Just watched your video - very smooth. The opening feels very authentic, flows well - you don't try to include too much information (and just talk at the player) which is a definite plus point.

I look forward to seeing more videos! Are you planning and features/new ideas? I would suggest sticking to this tileset, with perhaps a few custom tiles that match the style, it suits your mapping so well.
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:16 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gam3r! View Post
Looks pretty awesome !!! Nice mapping I really like it ( along with the R/S/E tiles ). Just a question though , What starters are available ? I saw squirtle in one of the pics does this mean there are Gen I starters or will they be mixed Gen starters ( I / II / III) ?
It'll be using all three 1st Gen starters. The video I posted shows the entire intro, including picking the pokemon, if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
Your mapping is instantly recognisable I remember your maps from years ago when I was a more active member over here.

Just watched your video - very smooth. The opening feels very authentic, flows well - you don't try to include too much information (and just talk at the player) which is a definite plus point.

I look forward to seeing more videos! Are you planning and features/new ideas? I would suggest sticking to this tileset, with perhaps a few custom tiles that match the style, it suits your mapping so well.
Thank you! I'm glad people still remember me after all this time away from hacking. lol

As far as unique features go, I'm not experienced enough to know what is and isn't possible for most of my ideas, since I started scripting for the first time a little over a week ago. I've learned quite fast, and am comfortable with hex editing and all that, but what you see in that video is pretty much all I've ever actually done... so until I know for sure that I can do something, I don't really want to say that I'm definitely going to be doing anything in particular, but I have plenty of ideas for different minigames, and I'm wanting to have houses for sale to replace secret bases, among other things.

One major thing I want to focus on is side quests, since the main pokemon games kind of... don't have them. At all. It's always bugged me how by simply talking to people you get all sorts of unique, valuable items, when they could have made you pay for them, or do some sort of task for them. To go along with that, I'd like to have a quest log built into the PokeNAV, but I have absolutely no idea how to do that atm, lol. It involves ASM I'm sure, which I haven't looked into yet.

The Volcano Pokemon

Last edited by QuilavaKing; August 11th, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Eren Jaeger
Pianoist

Nature: Serious
Oh, this is very impressive indeed. the way you map is so.. so... amazing!
Like the others said, don't change the tiles but the building and houses will do.
(Sprite as well) I've watched your Game intro, what would happen if you pressed no
instead of yes? the events will be different? If it is, then I can't wait how will
your hack go, good luck with this! Also, the title screen is what I really wanna see.
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Falsever
Ayano

Nature: Jolly
Wow, this is amazing! You made the game pretty without new tiles! :D
I really like your mapping style, it reminds me of something epic.
I'm looking forward for more updates, best of luck!

-Theme-
Ayano Tateyama

-Links-
Showdown!
Hack
Ayano no Koufuku Ririon
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:26 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaedearagaki View Post
I've watched your Game intro, what would happen if you pressed no
instead of yes? the events will be different? If it is, then I can't wait how will
your hack go, good luck with this! Also, the title screen is what I really wanna see.
What she says is different, but the events of the plot aren't. It was mostly just to introduce your rival's name before he actually shows up. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make a title screen worth using... I'd like it to be an Azumarill underwater with plenty of bubbles in the background though, if anyone wants to help out by making one.

The Volcano Pokemon

Old August 18th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Pinkish Purple
五代目水影

Nature: Naughty
I liked the video. It showcases more of your mapping skills and the intro was unique, unlike the traditional "you turned 10" stuff. What makes it more special is the original tiles and how they blend in beautifully with your mapping. Good luck on this! I'll be waiting for the release.
Old August 18th, 2013, 03:30 AM
KUi Klutch

Amazing job, I really love it!

I really can't wait for the game to come out!!!

Last edited by DrFuji; August 19th, 2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:39 AM
PokeReject
Great Pokémon Reject

Nature: Quirky
The map looks outstanding, the tiles look awesome as (insert profanity here) and I like that you plan on putting side quests in the game, I like to get off track once in a while . I want to wish you the best of luck, and I can't wait for a Beta
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:14 AM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Hey, so I think an update is in order. I just moved, and have been without a computer or internet for over a week now. The laptop I was working on died on me (I'm thinking it's a power supply issue, so hopefully easily fixable.) but I make frequent dropbox backups of the ROM, so the game is safe. Haven't been working on it in the meantime of course though, and I'm a little busy IRL still with school starting and finishing the move, so progress is going to be pretty slow for another week or two. Should continue like normal after that though.

The Volcano Pokemon

Old September 7th, 2013, 04:10 PM
MiniMinum
Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!

Nature: Calm
Wow, this looks amazing! Keep it up, because I really want to see this completed! Great Job!
Old September 7th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Orifiel
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
Wow, your mapping seems to stand out in your game.
It's better if you keep Ruby tiles, it should blend together with the game.
Old September 7th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Le pug
la butt doit le sniff
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I've very picky when it comes to hacks, especially those who, by looks of the original game, haven't changed. However, your hack helps me defy any judgement I usually have. First of all, I really love the professionalism in your thread's layout. Another big bonus is that you are apparently very literate and that comes a long way in a hack. Also, your example map stands out and makes me want to explore it, despite the trees being the default Ruby trees (not my favorite set of trees). I also like the bonus area idea. Your scripting, by your video, also seems to be done well.

If you need any help, let me know as I too am working on a Ruby hack.

Good luck!
• Check out the Ruby rombase sound list I contributed by clicking here
Old September 7th, 2013, 05:54 PM
~Andrea

good hack but change tile

setdooropened 0x 0x
doorchange

setdoorclosed 0x 0x
doorchange

for first script use this comand for open and close the door good luck "
Old September 8th, 2013, 09:45 AM
MiniMinum
Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!

Nature: Calm
Oh, and another thing. If you are the one who is mapping, you definitely should think about doing a tutorial or something of the like. Your maps look flawless!
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Winter Wonderland
Puts the fun in dysfunctional

I'm really digging your story and, as you already know, the mapping is superb. You're one of the only people that make R/S/E tiles look nice to me. However, my only concern is with towns. I feel that people who map naturally tend to make towns look way too natural to be a town. So, it ends up looking like a settlement. Towns are man-made and humans are more comfortable with squares and easy shapes, vs. the zigzags of nature.

Also, I am very curious to see what you have in store for this stone. I have a feeling that you'll be able to visit Mossdeep later in the hack, but a recovering Mossdeep. I also can't wait to see how you use the two teams in this story as Team Magma would be incredibly outnumbered. It's gonna be fun to see.

I wish you the best of luck with this, and I am looking forward to more updates.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost, Fire and Ice.

Play Me Casually | Project Leola

Old October 27th, 2013, 01:43 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Hey, it's been awhile since I've updated, but I've been working hard on the game. Mapping has been completed through the first city/gym and scripting is done up to Honey Forest, which is the first dungeon-y area.

So, updating the progress image, and throwing up some new screenshots/mapshots:

Screenshots:
Progress:
Progress To First Preview Release:

Original:
Spoiler:

And here's a full mapshot (well, it's actually two maps) of the first major city in the game. Ornata City:

This is the first time I've used these tiles (and one of the first cities I've made in general tbh) and I'm feeling like I definitely need some more building variety. I'd also like to put a a playground where the sign is near the top of the map (by the mart), but I'm no artist, so if any spriters are looking for work, PM me, and I'll let you know what I need.
Oh, and I've been timing my work lately, to help keep me on track... this map took 11 hours and 41 minutes over 3 days. lol

The Volcano Pokemon

Old October 27th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Shufflejoy
♀ not ♂

Nature: Timid
I like the look of this a lot, so far! After Winter Wonderland posted about the city mapping, I was just as concerned about the city map, but (barring the tileset's lack of building choice) your city looks fantastic! You might be able to get away with creating new blocks using different palettes for the roof tiles on the buildings. This way, you wouldn't have to add any new tiles, but you'd have a bit more variety. Of course, if you can get someone to create some for you, that'd be awesome as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. Keep it up!
Old October 27th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Winter Wonderland
Puts the fun in dysfunctional

Jeeez! Completely disregard everything I said about the city maps.

Let me make this perfectly clear: I. HATE. Hoenn. Tiles.

However, you make them look great! That map captures island life to a damn-near perfection!

If you're scripting is HALF as good as your mapping, we're looking at a real contender for Hack Of The Year.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost, Fire and Ice.

Play Me Casually | Project Leola

Quick Reply