The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

View Poll Results: Your fave Gen 4 Games?
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum 28 40.00%
HeartGold/SoulSilver 42 60.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Heartouch
Count the stars between us

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Heartouch
First we have Diamond, Pearl and Platinum which takes place in Sinnoh. And then there are HeartGold and SoulSilver, the remakes which takes place in Johto (and Kanto) region.

Which from these 2 series of games do you prefer, and why?
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:52 AM
Peitharchia
// and finite incantatem

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Peitharchia
D/P/PT were all right, but for some reason, the storyline was kind of tough for me to get into. Most of their locations weren't too fun to explore, either, because they were just similar to each other. HG/SS were better, in my opinion. They've had tons of exciting features (such as walking Pokémon and the Pokéathlon), they allowed you to capture all main legendary Pokémon from R/S/E and D/P/PT, and their music sounded more nice. Plus, you were able to train your Pokémon quite easily with the PokéWalker.

Old September 5th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Autumn Reverie
d a y d r e a m

Location: Above Singapore, below Thailand. Hm, you don't know where that is?
Nature: Modest
Honestly, it's really hard for me to choose :/ DPPt and HGSS have their own unique features which make me fall in love over and over again. I've had so many amazing and memorable moments in both games. Let me list down some: DPPt has the Poke Radar and the Distortion World. HGSS has the walking Pokemon feature and the Pokeathlons, as stated by Peridition Haze. Both of them have amazing storylines and amazing Pokemon. I...I honestly can't choose! But I have to choose... Oh, I think I'll go with HGSS as it includes not just Johto but Kanto as well! I love the idea that once you finish a region, there's another entire region for you to explore and conquer. Double the adventures, double the fun!
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Cat

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Cat
Very tough, I really enjoyed playing through Diamond & Pearl and then Platinum even more so. Then I really enjoyed HGSS much more than the original Gold & Silver, although I think Sinnoh has the edge over Johto for me.

Old September 5th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Crackle
A Rite of Passage

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Crackle
This is a very tough decision, but if I had to choose I would go with DPPt. While I do like HGSS because of the conveniences it has, i've played through DP several times, and Platinum a few, and HGSS has that stupid level curve (by FAR the worst thing about the game). Admittedly HGSS has much more post-game, but i've never really put in an effort to complete the Pokédex or get Battle Points in it or such.
Masuda Method #1 - Shiny Noibat, 2/12/14, 174 eggs
Credit to Lilith for the avatar!
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:30 PM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
I am always the fan of Johto games so I voted for HGSS even though I really like Sinnoh games too
Old September 6th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Aslan
B.A.M.F

D/P/Pt and HG/SS are both some of the best games in the entire series. When it comes to which one I enjoyed playing more, I think my vote has to go to HG/SS. I'm not saying D/P/Pt is terrible but HG/SS just outclassed it. I found it easier to enjoy and the beginning didn't seem to drag on. There was more to do, more to explore, I enjoyed the graphics and gameplay felt more interactive. With Cameron, the ability to chat on the Pokegear, Johto, Kanto, the follow me feature, what couldn't you do?

D/P/Pt itself had its ups and downs but HG/SS offered so much more. While I liked the Pokegear and how they made the evil team of that generation stand out, part of me moves to HG/SS more. Who doesn't love more things to do? HG/SS was one of those games that really drags you in and lets you be the adventurer. Each time I play through it, I feel different each time. Overall though HG/SS has fantastic features, good music, good storyline and a broad access to all sorts of Pokemon. Plus exploring two regions opened up so many more opportunities. D/P/Pt just can't compare. ):
Old September 6th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Attrage
I'm back. :3

I'd say HGSS, just because Johto > Sinnoh.
DPPt has a boring plot in my opinion.
Also in HGSS we can explore 2 regions which is great! :D
Old September 6th, 2013, 02:36 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin

Well, first of all I have to disagree with anyone who slags of DPPt's plot. It's decent enough - especially in Platinum where Cyrus has actually done his research and is aware of both Dialga and Palkia. Platinum is definitely one of the finest games in the series - the post-game is a massive improvement over Diamond, which before the Elite Four is still decent. The little graphical improvements and the speed boost are great too.

However, despite the nostalgia from Diamond (The last game I went into knowing nothing about, well, before LeafGreen), I do think HGSS are much better games. I love all the new graphics, particularly the grass, and the ambient noises from water etc. are good too. The improved us of the touchscreen was good as well. Plus, two whole regions!. Yes the level curve is a bit rubbish - low levels right up until Red - but on the plus side we get both Johto and Kanto.
The post-game is particularly enjoyable for an almost complete lack of evil team, tbh. You just get to get on with the main business of being a trainer - catch pokémon, battle gym leaders etc. The rocket grunt being set up for BW is good too.
There's also the little screens you get entering an area such as Mount Moon, like in FRLG.
But the real thing that clinches it for me is pokémon following you. All 493! That's the real clincher that sets it apart from all previous games and, in my eyes, any future games too - HGSS did it first.

So yeah, HGSS all the way, even though DPPt aren't bad games.
Old September 6th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Aeroblast
웃웃웃웃웃웃웃

Nature: Serious
I'll have to go with HGSS. DPPt have their strong advantages, such as ost and world design, but sheer amount of content HGSS has, coupled with nostalgia factor, edges DPPt by a small margin.

Either way a tough decision because Platinum improved heavily on Diamond/Pearl.
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Arlo

I prefer DPPt, and honestly it's not even close. I've now tried Heart Gold three times, most recently about a month ago, and have yet to complete it. This time I made it through Victory Road (barely) and to the E4, but I'm done. My pokemon have been underleveled for half the game now and there's just no way that I'm going to waste however long it'll take to grind them up to decent levels on the low level garbage that's all that's available. There's nothing at all fun about that.
Old September 6th, 2013, 04:46 PM
EJ Nero
OshaPower!

Nature: Bold
DPPt of course. There'd be no gen four without them. HG/SS were a great return to Johto/Kanto, but the storylines in DPPt, Sinnoh, and the new pokemon in gen 4 >>>>>>> vs remake. I don't think there is a comparison really.
Old September 6th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Jill Valentine
Nexios Leader

Nature: Sassy
HG/SS first its a remake of my favorite pokemon game but also Im not much of a fan of the newer pokemon monsters
Old September 6th, 2013, 07:02 PM
curiousnathan
I will find you

HGSS are by far the superior games. Don't get me wrong, DPPt were fantastic games, I just don't think they offered as much as HGSS did. HGSS had stunning graphics, a wide range of Pokemon to catch, train, breed etc., the follow me feature, the PokeAthlon, Bug Catching Contest, Battle Frontier and that amazing feeling of nostalgia.

If I think about it though, in the end I think just that feeling of nostalgia I got from adventuring through Johto again, is what has got my vote. Both are great games, but HGSS take the cake for me.

moderator |
lovely pair | PC live
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Miss Fortune
Fortune doesn't favor fools!

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Miss Fortune
HG/SS by far. DPPt were just ok games imo because I felt they were slow and really limited on Pokemon. The new Pokemon that were introduced are great and all, but the games just didn't stack up. HG/SS were flawless. The follow me feature is really what won me over along with the countless other fabulous features.

Old September 6th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Elaitenstile
Sea turtles, mate.

Nature: Naive
I have to say DPPt because partly the nostalgia break and the new region part. HGSS had the advantage of technology, yet the whole Johto seemed duller than I remembered. I dunno, I seem to prefer DPPt. If I think of Johto, I go over to GSC, not to HGSS just because the remake wasn't... lively enough. It lacked certain elements that makes it a natural game. I'm totally not saying HGSS is bad, though. I personally loved the Pokémon walking behind, it made me much more into the game itself, it engaged me and made me go on. And the environment was amazing... just not the lively feel.

Sinnoh, on the other hand, was different. It gave a new look to the franchise (like every new generation) and probably had the element of surprise (and the nostalgia break) so I was totally into Pearl as well. But the whole legendary Pokémon part of the story wasn't quite as I hoped it to be. Oh well, I'm still all over Pearl.

So Sinnoh mostly due to the nostalgia break, as I had mooned over Pokémon Gold for quite some time before playing HGSS.

I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Savvy?
#johnnydeppjacksparrow
Previously known as ★Hoenn★

Old September 7th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Terabyte

Nature: Jolly
I prefered HeartGold/SoulSilver.. not for nostalgic purposes, but I felt that the game had a lot more features, such as the Battle Frontier for one, and the Bug Catching Contests.
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Jamais
«c'est presque temps»

I tried really hard to get interested in Platinum, but other than the region itself, nothing really stood out to me in the game. HG/SS on the other hand, brought about things like the Pokeathlon, following Pokemon and the auto-sprint button. Jus simple additions like that plus the nostalgia factor really made me prefer HG/SS to the Sinnoh games.

Old September 16th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Rizardon

Send a message via Skype™ to Rizardon
Soulsilver mainly because of nostalgic feelings.
Old September 17th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Heartouch
Count the stars between us

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Heartouch
I think I'll choose HeartGold and SoulSilver, not because of nostalgia, but because vast of features that won me over, like the walking Pokemon feature, and auto-running feature.
Old September 17th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Typhon
W a v e ~

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Typhon
I'll choose HG/SS. There were many features added such as the walking etc. It also had some better sprites then D/P/Pt, and it had 16 Gyms. Moar gameplay :D
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Decimosoma
Free to dream, free to smile

Platinum is it for me. The only thing I liked about HG/SS was the unique system for catching Hoenn Pokémon and the walking with your Pokémon feature.

The overall storyline, plot, character cast, challenging E4 and Battle Tower was amazing in Platinum enough to re-play it multiclip times. I finished SS just once and didn't even bother to catch the legendaries and such it was quite unsatisfying, but I never liked the original G/S/C anyways that must be it.
Old September 17th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Negix

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Negix
Definitely Platinum. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every single moment of HG/SS because of all the options presented to me. I had the bug catching contest, having rematches with gym leaders, Pokemon following you around, and even a second region to explore. Even with all that, I still picked Platinum. To me, Sinnoh had the best storyline up to that date and many post story stuff that you could do. I could even buy furniture in put it in my house for crying out loud! I felt the legendaries were top notch and were pretty powerful.
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Gigabyyyte
Exploring the world of Kalos!

HGSS all the way! Even with X and Y coming out in like, a little less than a month or so, Gen II has this special place in my heart (WAT) and Gen IV kinda made that blossom (LOL. WAT). My old Gold had always been my very treasured game (before the data got corrupted and I switched to Ruby, then LeafGreen, then Emerald), but HeartGold/SoulSilver kinda ignited that old spark again. c:

Walking Pokémon, Oak and Elm, a bunch of references to everywhere, and Red?! (OMG RED) The perfect games, imo.

Now, only if they made a SpiritCrystal type of game... but no. Nintendo doesn't do that with remakes. *sob*

Hey, I'm on NLSC! Yup, right heeere: http://forums.nba-live.com/memberlis...rofile&u=75053

Last edited by Gigabyyyte; September 19th, 2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Wrong formatting. (:
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:09 PM
OmegaTL
Time Lord

Nature: Timid
My vote goes to D/P/Pt. I think they're very underrated.

Platinum was the first Pokémon game I got that wasn't second hand and I have good memories of playing it for hours on end on holiday when it first came out.

I got more playtime out of HG/SS and I learned about competitive battling because of them, but the storyline wasn't new to me and I ended up not caring about them as much.

Planned X/Y team so far: Fennekin evo, Charizard, Blaziken, ???, ???, ???
Like Doctor Who? Come join us at Peladon!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links