The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Stevemagegod

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternallyAnna View Post
Gonna merge this with the other Ash's age thread just because there's no reason to have a bunch floating around. ;x

But this theory still doesn't work due to the beginning of Best Wishes. It's clearly stated in both the Japanese and the English dub that Ash is 10 years old. Unless they retcon this by editing out the line for re-broadcast, Ash has not aged and everything has taken place in less than two months, due to him being 10 years and 10 months when his journey began.

I wouldn't mind them doing a significant time skip at some point though. Like we just skip out on about six years of Ash's life and he comes back as the group mother/mentor? That'd be interesting. Maybe they'll do that for Kalos, since it has plenty of kid characters to work with already.
Also i was watching the Hoenn Saga on Boomerang the other day and during that saga Ash definitely seemed older and more experienced than the Unova league.
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Of course he did. They actually had aged him up a bit unofficially. Like they matured him and then intentionally never mentioned his age. By DP his apparent age was 13 at the very least, but then they went and wrecked all that progression with Unova. The cut off the ambiguity and forced Ash back to being the absolutely dumb child he was but minus the sass and general progression that Kanto offered. They lost a whole lot of development and never seemed to remember how to write that.

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old June 20th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
That theory gets shot to hell and back too.

Watch the entire series - Every single episode. I'll guarentee you that you'll see about a years worth of nights. Proably more.

Still though, we don't really know how time progresses in that series - For them their weeks could be 10 days, their months 40 days, their years 24 months. Or any other random combo of numbers.

Come play Runescape
Old June 20th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Well logically and following an actual count, Ash should be older. We all know this and there is no dispute about it. But the problem completely lies In The Shadow of Zekrom, where is is stated clearly in both widely-watched versions that Ash is 10 years old, all while providing a shot of his room filled with mementos and trophies from the past.

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old June 21st, 2013, 10:37 AM
RMzKingify
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli97 View Post
There's an alternate theory to the whole Ash being 10 year old thing, because unless they just stop counting their age past 10, at least a year or 2 should've passed by now. One year can at least be confirmed, since in the Pikachu short for the third movie, Ash celebrated his 1 year anniversary of being friends with Pikachu.

Now, this other theory is regarding Ho-oh from the very first episode of the anime, where Ash wishes that he'd have a journey that'd last forever, just as Ho-oh flew by. Ho-oh's Pokedex entry in DPPt says the following: "It possesses seven-colored wings. It is said that those who see Ho-Oh are promised an eternal happiness." Some believe that Ho-oh may have granted his wish to give him the promised "eternal happiness", which imo, is a bit more believable than the coma theory, since it's mostly canon :p

So yeah, a good reason to why Ash is still 10 years despite over a year passing, however it doesn't really explain why other people still say that he's 10, since they wouldn't know that, unless Ho-oh actually implemented it into the minds of everyone.
Thats theory makes the most sense, good job dude! I hated the coma theory, for some reason it really triggered something in me. Maybe the fact that I grew up with Pokemon, always as I child I loved Ash as my VERY favourite cartoon character and ending Pokemon with him being in a coma is horrible. Your Ho-ho theory is just more believable
Old June 21st, 2013, 02:22 PM
Gleam Noiyam
Pop Goes the Gleamsel.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Gleam Noiyam Send a message via Skype™ to Gleam Noiyam
Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay. Ash's Coma theory got me thinking about the whole story, I do believe it, not really, but, in my mind, Ash is 12. But I think that his Journey isn't very long. Anna said that each journey could only be less than two months, but that makes no sense: you can't bond with someone that well in 2 months. So, I'm assuming he doesn't seem to age because it's the coma theory. He might not age because it's a kid show: kids don't age in kids show. So I'll call this the "Arthur Paradox." He's going to be ten forever--that's how kids want to see things. They don't want to see Ash a 27 year old man.

But I think he's 12. He must have aged a little--he seems older in Sinnoh despite saying he's ten.
Sheep and I fangirl about cute stuff too much. Current theme. Current obsessions.

Old June 21st, 2013, 05:23 PM
Ckbruin

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
Still though, we don't really know how time progresses in that series - For them their weeks could be 10 days, their months 40 days, their years 24 months. Or any other random combo of numbers.
Very true, their perception of age may be vastly different than ours. In addition, I don't believe it's explicitly stated that the world this anime takes place on is Earth. (It might be mentioned in movies, but those are filler for the most part)

Ash did progressively get more matured by the time D/P came around, but by the start of B/W I think that sign of aging began to disappear. Obviously, being an anime directed towards children, the creators didn't want things to get too serious, so they made Ash a "little kid" again in Best Wishes (as Iris mentions far too many times). Time rift?

Oh, and that Ash's Coma theory does make sense in a creepy sort of way (hence, creepypasta)...
Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:44 AM
xZSx Venom
The most symmetrycal

Nature: Brave
if the show went by him actually growing in age I would say he would be late 20s due to the fact this came out in 1995, but in the show he's 10 (I was just counting the years this has been out)
If you are counting by how in every episode it show that it was a whole days worth of action I would say between 12-15. This is just my best guess.

The Walking Dead Fan club

Last edited by xZSx Venom; June 22nd, 2013 at 04:48 AM. Reason: additional info
Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:11 AM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I think they made Ash to be 10 and back to being his old inexperienced self for the Unova series because, just like with the games, they wanted it to be a "new beginning" . Probably trying to appeal to the newer generation & all. Because, by Sinnoh, Ash would be like 13.
But I read somewhere that the devs wanted Black & White to give that "nostalgic feeling" Red and Blue gave. They made it a whole new beginning with new Pokémon and stuff to discover.
So guess they figured they'd do the same in the anime.

"We will kill your enemies. That will be fun."
Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:49 PM
SoraTheTruth

Nature: Naive
He's still currently 10 although it feels like he should be about 15 because the PL takes place once every year
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:53 PM
demonta4
President of Demonta Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraTheTruth View Post
He's still currently 10 although it feels like he should be about 15 because the PL takes place once every year
Yeah, but it could take place at different times in different regions.
Old July 16th, 2013, 07:21 AM
QQQQQQQ7777777

Here is my theory: If we are to believe that the Anime Pokemon Universe and the Video Game Pokemon Universe are the same then when Ho-oh flies over Ash in episode 1 the save file that Ash was using got corrupted and his character data was corrupted with it because Ho-oh isn`t supposed to be in the game. therefore he is forever 10 and occasionally suffers from massive brain damage. just like missing no. JKJK
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

In some interview by some important guy, it was revealed the reason why Ash is still the main character because they need to keep Pikachu, the series mascot. Yet they still want new viewers to be able to relate to the 10 year old Ash the same way we did. This is why Ash will never age or have his character changed.

Which is a horrible idea for a show dedicated to a journey and personal growth. The fact that he forgets how to catch wild pokemon in the beginning of Unova proves that any character "development" Ash has means nill.
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Gogofreak
Touhou and Pokemon Fanatic

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by KagamiChan View Post
I think they made Ash to be 10 and back to being his old inexperienced self for the Unova series because, just like with the games, they wanted it to be a "new beginning" . Probably trying to appeal to the newer generation & all. Because, by Sinnoh, Ash would be like 13.
But I read somewhere that the devs wanted Black & White to give that "nostalgic feeling" Red and Blue gave. They made it a whole new beginning with new Pokémon and stuff to discover.
So guess they figured they'd do the same in the anime.
I was going to say that! But, I do agree with that. They reboot the series and the anime.
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:55 PM
vexer6

To me Ash always looked way older then 10, did they ever say how old Iris is? It's weird how she always calls Ash a "kid" when she looks the same age as him.
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:07 PM
TheFuturePokemon
Natural.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexer6 View Post
To me Ash always looked way older then 10, did they ever say how old Iris is? It's weird how she always calls Ash a "kid" when she looks the same age as him.
Iris is 10 just like ash.
Old September 15th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Lucreciatwo
A Mewtwo Lover

Send a message via AIM to Lucreciatwo Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lucreciatwo Send a message via Yahoo to Lucreciatwo Send a message via Skype™ to Lucreciatwo
I don't believe in the Coma theory.
I believe in the Ho-OH theory and that Ho-Oh granted
Ash's wish to catch tons of pokemon. Cause of that
wish, Ho-Oh grants Ash eternal youth and life.
Or maybe each Ash is the son of the previous ones of the series, with having the
name Ash be a traditional name for the sons born in the family.
I also have a crossover theory I did for fun of you wanna read it XD
Old September 15th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

I have thought about this so much, I couldn't even tell you. In the end, I came to one conclusion, there is no such thing as time in the Pokemon World.

Also:

Old September 15th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Famon

Does I'm the only one who noticed that Ash isn't the only one with agelessness !!!
All other character like Broke , Jessie & James didn't aged too !!!

Old September 16th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Lucreciatwo
A Mewtwo Lover

Send a message via AIM to Lucreciatwo Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lucreciatwo Send a message via Yahoo to Lucreciatwo Send a message via Skype™ to Lucreciatwo
Here's my crossover theory for LOLs:
"I know people think Ash doesn't age in the anime because of the people want him to appeal to younger kids. But I think I wanna stick to the theory that Ash got his wish to not age by wishing his heart out to Ho-Oh.

Wouldn't it be weird though if that Ho-Oh in the first episode was really Tezuka's Phoenix that granted him that wish? Sure they are two seperate series, but wouldn't it be funny if they snuck that in there?

In the 80s anime, Hinotori AKA the Phoenix only had to fly over someone to give them eternal life and youth. Heck one guy got cursed to a point that he would age all the way to a baby and stayed that way for all eternity. Plus in the movie Phoenix 2772, she had the ability to change form.

The name Ho-Oh is also another name for the Phoenix in some literature as well. So could Pokemon's Ho-Oh actually be another version of Tezuka's phoenix?
Anyways that's my thought on the whole 'Ash doesn't Age' thing."
Old September 17th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Ash is 10 years old as long as the show states it, is it really hard to grasp that concept? Come on, really. It's just a TV Show.

Look at South park for example, the boys are in the 4th grade for like what, 12 seasons? You can say the same for almost any animated series.

Old September 18th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Feroniamon
Harmony of Storms

Nature: Modest
My theory why Ash is still 10 in BW... I think after the horrible loss against Tobias he has fallen into a dream, between the struggle of fulfilling his dream and the countless mistakes, which carried into Unova. The final cake was Zekrom after Pikachu lost his electric powers for a while. And after the Decolora Islands he will finally wake up and realise it was only a bad dream (the trailer for the last episodes makes Iris and Cilian disappear as pictures towards the sun) and swears he will train really for his dream as a Pokémon master.

His Lapras was still young while in the Orange Islands, but in his cameo in Johto he is now leader of the Lapras group and also a bit older and wiser.

I believe there is aging in the Pokémon world, but it doesn`t appear to the main characters really, especially Ash - losing a league and going to a new region as a rookie (which should be impossible because of his experience) - it calls a time loop, which he can`t break (and isn`t aware of it).

This is my thought of "Not Aging" - Ash is stuck into a dream caused by Tobias` Darkrai or is stuck in a time loop.
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Water Gym Leader
Arlyn Aquos
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Water Gym Leader
Look, the Pokemon Company wants the shows main protagonist to be the same age as the intended viewers. In all reality Ash should be in his teens. If the Pokemon Company guys were smart they would get rid of Ash and get a new protagonist. They could do what Digimon did in seasons 1 and 2, and have Ash come back older to help out the new guy every once and a while.
Ash is 10. If you go by anything the show says, go by the Japanese show, they are more ambiguous with time, and it is more canon then the dubbed shows.

3DS FC: 0903-4056-8403
3DS XL FC: 0404-6887-6558
~~DIVING DEEP~~ (A Water Pokemon Fan Club)
Old September 18th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Oh come on guys, we know that he's officially 10 and why he'll always be 10. Have fun with crack theories. He's had like three anniversaries of meeing Pikachu in various sagas and languages and was confirmed to be 10 anyway at the beginning of Best Wishes. Don't poop on the fun theories.

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old September 18th, 2013, 07:45 AM
ilias_
Float like a Butterfree, sting like a Beedrill!

Nature: Calm
Actually, before joining PC I never saw people complaining about Ash's age It's not a big deal. If Ash was going to age then so do all the characters and Prof. Oak would be too old to appear lol

Although the fan theories are interesting. I liked the Ho-oh one. The coma theory is not cool

Friend Safari:
Type: Fire.
Pokémon: Slugma, Magmar & Braixen.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here