• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Age/Coma Theory

Lucreciatwo

A Mewtwo Lover
Years
I don't believe in the Coma theory.
I believe in the Ho-OH theory and that Ho-Oh granted
Ash's wish to catch tons of pokemon. Cause of that
wish, Ho-Oh grants Ash eternal youth and life.
Or maybe each Ash is the son of the previous ones of the series, with having the
name Ash be a traditional name for the sons born in the family.
I also have a crossover theory I did for fun of you wanna read it XD

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
I have thought about this so much, I couldn't even tell you. In the end, I came to one conclusion, there is no such thing as time in the Pokemon World.

Also:

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Does I'm the only one who noticed that Ash isn't the only one with agelessness !!!
All other character like Broke , Jessie & James didn't aged too !!!

Lucreciatwo

A Mewtwo Lover
Years
Here's my crossover theory for LOLs:
"I know people think Ash doesn't age in the anime because of the people want him to appeal to younger kids. But I think I wanna stick to the theory that Ash got his wish to not age by wishing his heart out to Ho-Oh.

Wouldn't it be weird though if that Ho-Oh in the first episode was really Tezuka's Phoenix that granted him that wish? Sure they are two seperate series, but wouldn't it be funny if they snuck that in there?

In the 80s anime, Hinotori AKA the Phoenix only had to fly over someone to give them eternal life and youth. Heck one guy got cursed to a point that he would age all the way to a baby and stayed that way for all eternity. Plus in the movie Phoenix 2772, she had the ability to change form.

The name Ho-Oh is also another name for the Phoenix in some literature as well. So could Pokemon's Ho-Oh actually be another version of Tezuka's phoenix?
Anyways that's my thought on the whole 'Ash doesn't Age' thing."

Years
Ash is 10 years old as long as the show states it, is it really hard to grasp that concept? Come on, really. It's just a TV Show.

Look at South park for example, the boys are in the 4th grade for like what, 12 seasons? You can say the same for almost any animated series.

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
My theory why Ash is still 10 in BW... I think after the horrible loss against Tobias he has fallen into a dream, between the struggle of fulfilling his dream and the countless mistakes, which carried into Unova. The final cake was Zekrom after Pikachu lost his electric powers for a while. And after the Decolora Islands he will finally wake up and realise it was only a bad dream (the trailer for the last episodes makes Iris and Cilian disappear as pictures towards the sun) and swears he will train really for his dream as a Pokémon master.

His Lapras was still young while in the Orange Islands, but in his cameo in Johto he is now leader of the Lapras group and also a bit older and wiser.

I believe there is aging in the Pokémon world, but it doesn`t appear to the main characters really, especially Ash - losing a league and going to a new region as a rookie (which should be impossible because of his experience) - it calls a time loop, which he can`t break (and isn`t aware of it).

This is my thought of "Not Aging" - Ash is stuck into a dream caused by Tobias` Darkrai or is stuck in a time loop.

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
Years
Look, the Pokemon Company wants the shows main protagonist to be the same age as the intended viewers. In all reality Ash should be in his teens. If the Pokemon Company guys were smart they would get rid of Ash and get a new protagonist. They could do what Digimon did in seasons 1 and 2, and have Ash come back older to help out the new guy every once and a while.
Ash is 10. If you go by anything the show says, go by the Japanese show, they are more ambiguous with time, and it is more canon then the dubbed shows.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Oh come on guys, we know that he's officially 10 and why he'll always be 10. Have fun with crack theories. He's had like three anniversaries of meeing Pikachu in various sagas and languages and was confirmed to be 10 anyway at the beginning of Best Wishes. Don't poop on the fun theories.

Years
Actually, before joining PC I never saw people complaining about Ash's age :) It's not a big deal. If Ash was going to age then so do all the characters and Prof. Oak would be too old to appear lol

Although the fan theories are interesting. I liked the Ho-oh one. The coma theory is not cool :|

Guy

just a guy
Years
Ash will always be forever 10. That's probably never going to change. He represents the demographic age group that the anime targets. I still don't understand why that should stop the writers from notching him up even just a couple years given how long the anime has been going on for, but I digress. At least there are fun theories to explore!

It's too bad there isn't such a thing as Forever 10 for him to shop at though.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Ash's age is same as Nobita's (Doraemon) age .
Difference is that , Pokemon is an Anime with Continuity & Doraemon is an Anime without Continuity .
That's why people notice Ash's agelessness But they doesn't notice Nobita's agelessness .

I just say screw it and declare he's at least 12.

If Pokemon writer had that much Brain then we would have watching the best Pokemon series by now .
But they so scared that they wouldn't even risk Ash being 12 year old .

Last edited:

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Ok so Ash looks a LOT older I am very confused:
Spoiler:

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Apparently in X and Y he will be 13 or 16 cannot remember it is either of those so he does age since he becomes considerably more tanned and he finally gets a set of teeth

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Apparently in X and Y he will be 13 or 16 cannot remember it is either of those so he does age since he becomes considerably more tanned and he finally gets a set of teeth

As far as I'm aware there has been no official statement on such claims. He really doesn't look any different other than the way he is being drawn. So he's still ten until officially stated. I don't really see him changing anytime soon.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
They're probably just starting the implicit ageing thing again. Which is wise. Post-Johto!Ash should always have been ambiguously 11-14 imo.

MrGriszell

Madara
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2021
Seriously ? After shows like the Simpsons , family guy , rugrats we are still wondering why he's 10? Lol he's ten because he's being marketed to little kids. He doesn't age because the anime is based on a game and not a manga where the writer aged the charecter lol

Back