The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Announcements
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Community Announcements Sometimes interesting things happen... it'd be a shame for you to miss them. Check here for new events and changes big and small around the community.


Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #101    
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:45 AM
Kevin's Avatar
Kevin
kevin del rey
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Age: 15
Gender: Male

Advertise here
Lol at how I joined this forum when I was 11.

/14 years young

I honestly don't know the point (it's a POKEMON forum) but oh well.
__________________
  #102    
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:33 AM
Azure Rathalδs's Avatar
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Nature: Serious
I joined when I was under 13 but I'm in my mid teens now so I'm okay. btw this is a ****ing stupid law that only stops perfectly fine people from interacting with the interact with the web.
__________________
| TuMbLr [X] | NoWpLaYiNg [X] | PoKéSpHeRe [X] |
  #103    
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:37 AM
Griffinbane's Avatar
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, US
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Nature: Lax
The original point was to prevent nasty grown-ups from getting friendly with younglings like you in order to steal information/meet up in RL to mug or kidnap or (insert other crime here)/use you as fodder against your family/etc. You guys realize that 10 years ago (when this was enacted) that the internet was a very different place, right?
__________________
Terriermon and Lopmon

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
  #104    
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:35 PM
Khrysta
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gender:
Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny Demon View Post
Lol at how I joined this forum when I was 11.

/14 years young

I honestly don't know the point (it's a POKEMON forum) but oh well.
This being a Pokemon site is a perfect reason for us to enforce it. Its a target site for adults with more questionable desires. They have internet prowlers that join sites like these just to entice the younger members. It may not be as common as the media usually blows it up to be, but it does exist.

The reason we are doing this is to protect members as well as the site as a whole. If we were not following the law, the site would be shut down if anything were ever questioned. Then what? You'd lose your community because the law wasn't enforced. They'd then move to all sites similar and shut them down as well.

Would you really like to lose the site or have your friends who are underage help us keep the site by following proper procedures. Its not that taxing to fill out the form, though the parents may or may not want to do it if they are also unfamiliar with COPPA law.

It seems like an unfair safety net, but really its one of those everyday choices where you have to make a sacrifice to keep yourself or others happy. I would definitely be upset if I lost a site I frequented, made a large number of friends on that site, and found out it was permanently closed down because someone didn't want to play by the rules and force a punishment on everyone else.

Then think about those who sunk money into here. You just wasted all of that money attaining a certain level of donorship and lost it because the rules weren't followed and some random child made you lose your investment. I know growing up I had friends that did this on purpose. I mean trolls exist to cause these kinds of troubles.
  #105    
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:38 PM
Jak's Avatar
Jak
i'll let you have it
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
I also want to point out that complaining about this law, calling it stupid, trying to call us out on just now enforcing it, and all this other stuff isn't gonna help the case. We're just going to roll our eyes. We know it's annoying. We know we're late. We get it. We've heard it. Just understand why it's being enforced and move on.
__________________
Bang bang!

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
  #106    
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Echidna's Avatar
Echidna
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vaniville Town
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
I personally see COPPA as a pretty reasonable law. A lot of stuff could happen that, aside from simply wanting to protect our site, would be horrible in terms of society/morality... etc.

I also pretty much support enforcing COPPA, despite being late on doing so, because protecting PC is the staff's main concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
This being a Pokemon site is a perfect reason for us to enforce it. Its a target site for adults with more questionable desires. They have internet prowlers that join sites like these just to entice the younger members.
This is sorta funny because I'm used to hearing adults complaining about some kids "doing something here and there". Now it's like "we the kids/teens/tweens will protect ourselves from the terrible adults", however specific we may be.

I'm going to hell.
__________________







Last edited by Echidna; September 15th, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
  #107    
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Cosmic Fury's Avatar
Cosmic Fury
Evil Overlord
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Someplace unimaginable
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Mild
Send a message via Skype™ to Cosmic Fury
So, I personally think that we've discussed the enforcing of this law pretty exhaustively. The matter at hand that demands attention though, is the matter of actually getting people under 13 to be able to actually stay and/or register here.

There needs to be a solid way to get proof of parental consent. If you haven't got any and you're under 13, NEVER reveal your age, your identity, nor any other sensitive information! That law (as stupid as we see it to be) protects you from identity theft, among other things that I will not mention.

So far, a good method is simply getting your parents to write a brief letter, sign it, and then scan it onto the computer. Send it to an admin and then wait for the green light to go through. Until then, sit tight and don't panic.

There may be other ways, but this in my opinion has been the best one so far. In the meantime, do not reveal sensitive information. This is a Pokemon forum anyway, so you shouldn't be showing off to the whole world that you're a kid. It's rather pointless and it only drags things down on all sides -- not to mention that there ARE people who seek to take advantage of you because of it.

So, just hang tight, and if you're able to get consent from your parents, do so. It's the best route to take, unless your 13th birthday is around the corner and you've not been ratted out yet.

This rule has been put in place for everyone's protection. Government fines aren't a joke. They're extremely expensive, and if Steve got fined, he would not be able to hold this site up after that -- especially since it's run in great part by donations from people like us.

I've also mentioned how under-13 people are protected from a mess by this. Get your parents to consent, as they likely will. Just take a screenshot of the letter and send it straight to an admin, as they're the ones who are sorting this out.

I'm just as upset by this as anyone else is, but unfortunately there isn't really an option but to play along, and do so with a level head.
__________________
The Tale of a Wanderer -- Reboot coming in the future

It's not all about the stats or the fight. It's all about who the characters are, and what they do.
  #108    
Old September 17th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Aeroblast's Avatar
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: My mom's basement. (not really)
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
This doesn't really concern me, but still, if it's required by the government then what else can you say. Plus, internet isn't exactly the safest place to be, especially for those younger than 13.
__________________

  #109    
Old September 19th, 2013, 03:29 PM
BillyTheBumGamez's Avatar
BillyTheBumGamez
Keep calm and FUS RO DAH!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Gamebum Manshion
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Well I'm twelve now but I'm turning 13 in November so am I safe from this law?
__________________

Its so true.

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicGameBums
  #110    
Old September 19th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Griffinbane's Avatar
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, US
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Nature: Lax
No... not until you're 13. /facepalm
__________________
Terriermon and Lopmon

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
  #111    
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Jak's Avatar
Jak
i'll let you have it
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
You just made yourself unsafe. :/ You'll have to get parental consent now. You were doing fine til you told us all your age, so...yeah. Should have just kept that under wraps and you would have been fine.
__________________
Bang bang!

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
  #112    
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Hikamaru's Avatar
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Sadly you need to be at least 13 or your account gets restricted until you either turn 13 or if you submit parental consent, which has to be a hand-written note by your parents, scanned and then uploaded. The admins should give you the all clear upon seeing the note. Read the OP by Razor Leaf for information on how to submit parental consent. When your account is restricted, it won't be able to receive PMs/VMs and your profile will be hidden from view to others.
__________________
keep moving f o r w a r d

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

  #113    
Old September 19th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Aeroblast's Avatar
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: My mom's basement. (not really)
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Well, he just has to wait until November whenever then he can ask the restrictions to be removed, right?
__________________

  #114    
Old September 19th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Jak's Avatar
Jak
i'll let you have it
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
He could provide parental consent or wait till then, yeah.
__________________
Bang bang!

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
  #115    
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:11 AM
shenanigans's Avatar
shenanigans
Staff Admin
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGameBums View Post
Well I'm twelve now but I'm turning 13 in November so am I safe from this law?
...nope. >__>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
Sadly you need to be at least 13 or your account gets restricted until you either turn 13 or if you submit parental consent, which has to be a hand-written note by your parents, scanned and then uploaded. The admins should give you the all clear upon seeing the note. Read the OP by Razor Leaf for information on how to submit parental consent. When your account is restricted, it won't be able to receive PMs/VMs and your profile will be hidden from view to others.
Hikari I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful but almost all of that is wrong. COPPA users can recieve PMs, we have a form of consent which is a bit more than a note now and much easier to use, and I removed information regarding consent from the first post. ):
  #116    
Old September 20th, 2013, 03:55 AM
ShinyNuzLover's Avatar
ShinyNuzLover
What're you lookin' at?
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Howell
Age: 14
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Para-Dox View Post
I joined when I was under 13 but I'm in my mid teens now so I'm okay. btw this is a ****ing stupid law that only stops perfectly fine people from interacting with the interact with the web.
I gotta agree with this ^
__________________

  #117    
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:16 PM
AnonygooseD's Avatar
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Africa
Nature: Jolly
What I don't get is why you mods suddenly thought of enforcing this law? Was it because you had no more laws of your own to make? LOL JK

But seriously, why? I've never even heard of this law anywhere or of this agency & I've been on the internet for almost 2 decades now...
__________________
  #118    
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:22 PM
donavannj's Avatar
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Minny, Minny, USA
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonygooseD View Post
What I don't get is why you mods suddenly thought of enforcing this law? Was it because you had no more laws of your own to make? {XD} LOL JK

But seriously, why? I've never even heard of this law anywhere or of this agency & I've been on the internet for almost 2 decades now...
Both of your questions have been answered repeatedly within the confines of this thread.

1. The administration of the site had been discussing the site's COPPA stance, and realized during that discussion that PC does meet the criteria that requires PC to enforce COPPA.

2. The server is a .com domain and is hosted in the US, both of which cause the site to fall under the jurisdictions of US law. That you've never heard of the law is to be expected, as non-residents are not expected to know every US law unless they are living within or visiting the United States or one of its territories. That you've never heard of the law does not make it any less relevant, either, since on most sites joining whilst under the age of 13 was cause for a ban to begin with, since they had decided long ago that they met the COPPA enforcement criteria outlined in the COPPA law, which is likely the reason you haven't heard of the law before. The fact remains that COPPA is an old enough law to have been applicable to me for 5 years after it was made into law in 1998.
__________________
  #119    
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
mzmingle
Okay What?...
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hoenn
Age: 13
Gender: Female
Nature: Relaxed
I really don't like this rule, but I understand it. My mum signed me up to this website in the first place and she knows I use it. I don't know how I could show you written consent due to the fact that I don't have a scanner.
  #120    
Old November 8th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Airhead
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Nosferatu's House
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
I understand COPPA's principals, but still...

PokeCommunity is moderated, doesn't allow swear words (only minor ones) and everyone who is requesting indecent stuff from kids will sooner or later found out, and a lot of people here are smart enough not to give out private information. Plus there are a lot of people out there who aren't too keen of sending a stranger their picture and private details so they can be un-banned. Almost every site has this law, which is annoying for the kids, since all they wanna do is talk Pokemon, shed some light on some matters and just stop be treated like a kid.

Last edited by Airhead; November 25th, 2013 at 02:55 AM.
  #121    
Old November 28th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Majora's Wrath's Avatar
Majora's Wrath
Dingle Dongle
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Littleroot Town
Age: 14
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Question: Am I okay? I feel like I might be in a "gray-area".
__________________
"Try to imagine life without timekeeping. You probably can't. You know the month, the year, the day of the week. Yet all around you, timekeeping is ignored. Birds are not late. A dog does not check his watch. Deer do not fret over passing birthdays. Man alone measures time. Man alone chimes the hour. And because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures. A fear of time running out." -Majora's Mask

Add me! FC: 0301-9781-3050
NintendoNetwork: Majora Wrath
  #122    
Old November 28th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Zach's Avatar
Zach
Sniiiii~
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyOperations View Post
Question: Am I okay? I feel like I might be in a "gray-area".
Unless you're faking your age being 13, you should be fine :3
__________________
moderator #tradecorner Showdown!
Cadance Endless Pepperton Sheep
skyluigi2 Slayr231
Fairy
  #123    
Old December 14th, 2013, 03:57 AM
bitelaserkhalif's Avatar
bitelaserkhalif
BITE LASER wants to fight!
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indonesia || Jakarta
Age: 13
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Unless you're faking your age being 13, you should be fine :3
Oh thank you Zach!You're also answers my questions!:D
__________________
I'm active only in holiday.
Rarely I will
respond for PM's.
  #124    
Old December 15th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Savordez's Avatar
Savordez
HELLO HELLO EVERYBODY HEY
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: dunno
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Honestly, I don't get the idea. I am over thirteen years old, yes, but I know many kids under 13 who are more mature than me, and hell, even half of the whole Internet. And then of course there's those idiots who spam Fluttershy everywhere.

And, like someone mentioned, this is a Pokémon forum. There are kids out there who want to discuss about Pokémon, and will google "Pokémon Community". Once they figure out an age of 13 or above is required, chances are, they will fake their age. It doesn't really help. But oh well. It's just my opinion, I have had bad memories with COPPA so I guess that's why I dislike it. Thug life.
__________________
  #125    
Old December 15th, 2013, 03:36 AM
curiousnathan's Avatar
curiousnathan
a hero can be afraid, too
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
I just want to emphasise that we are are not enforcing this now just so we can wreak havoc and be the evil people of pc muahaha etc. We're actually enforcing this because (as stated many times within this thread), it's US law. Whether we like it or not the law is still applicable and so we must comply with it.
__________________
moderator | lovely pair | PC live
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 02:21 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.