The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Advertise here

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Winter Wonderland
Puts the fun in dysfunctional

Advertise here

A Letter From The Editor

In keeping with the Progressing Hacks forum rules, I am required to include an introduction to this thread. With that being said, you can call me Winter. You do not need to know anything about me, since this thread isn't about me. If you want to know about me, you can post a Visitor Message--not a Private Message, as I'll delete it and consider it clutter. That is all. Thanks.

This ROM hack is a game of Fire Red. BPRE1.0 to be exact. I can't tell you where to find such a thing, as it is illegal. However, I have a friend who can help you. He goes by the name "Google." Use that information however you wish.

The Prologue

Often times, it is not he of noble blood that rises to greatness; or he of the direct opposite circumstances. It does not take a genius to uncover great, hidden truths, no. Sometimes, all it takes is a normal person to be at the wrong place at the right time.

Tale has been passed down, generation to generation of the two trainers, Mark and Leola who heroically triumphed over the band of the treacherous trainers known as the Abyssal Crusaders in days of forgotten times. Armed with their companions, they battled against hordes of these traitors to the nation that stood in the past, and ultimately lost their lives in the battle in one, final, grand moment of pure selflessness and sacrifice.

The site in which the battle took place, in today’s time, is known as the Highlander Pass and is a wonderful landscape of lush scenery and flowing bodies of water teeming with the life of several Pokémon that inhabit the area. It is left as a tribute to the two brave warriors who have been lost in a world in which treachery stuck its filthy fingers and tainted. Their graves are said to be somewhere within the Highlander Pass, but it has never been discovered and searches have long been abandoned.

Today, this story is nothing but a fairy tale, much like Jack and the Beanstalk or Cinderella and the Seven Dwarves—only used to entertain the mind of children. Today you are just a normal, young boy; at the wrong place, but at the right time.

The Story So Far

Summer

The world is alive with the songs of summer, created by the bright birds and carried by the soft, cheek-kissing winds. The sun’s comforting warmth, in addition to the blue skies and fully-bloomed flowers set the perfect mood for an adventure. Today, Sonny Kalen, an average teenage boy, is sent on a simple errand for his long-time friend, Harold. As with all plans, never do things go accordingly. What does Derek want? What is the story behind the peculiar Sinclaire family? What in the world did Ms. Delfin mean? By summer’s end, Sonny will have these questions answered. With his Eevee by his side, Sonny is at the start of his adventure; and whether he likes it or not, there is nowhere to go but forward.

Features

Non - Standard

Along with the typical new story, new maps, etc., here are a list of features I do hope to include:
  • A new fast-travel system to replace FLY. More of a taxi service, to make travelling mandatory in-game.
  • Rest by bodies of freshwater to rejuvenate your Pokemon on those huge journeys through the wilderness!
  • Not all Pokemon are catch-able in game. Approximately 147 are.
  • Rewards, such as HMs/the ability to use HMs are earned via doing quests, not gyms.
  • Play as Mark and Leola in memory sequences you gain through side-quests--see what their world was like!
  • Four installments to the hack, one for each season with a different plot, based on the central plot.
Typical Features:
  • New maps, story, region
  • Eevee starter
  • No trades needed for evolution

Media

Bugs Glitches and Oddities

• Still need to finish Oak's introduction.

The Team

• Winter Wonderland - Mapping, scripting, nit-pick things.
  • Full Metal - Anything I can't figure out. Go-to guy.
  • Teh Blazer - Scripting, graphics insertions, mapping on-call.
  • JNathan - CSS
  • Omega Zero - Scripting
  • Flandre Scarlet - World Map, Music, Graphics, Mapping
  • Shiny Quagsire - ASM
  • ep!c - ASM

Credits

• Game Freak
  • Diegoisawesome

Questions You Should Not Ask

• When is the hack coming out? We will release the hack when and if it's ready. We do not want to rush things as it could compromise the quality.
  • Can I be a beta tester? Everyone who posts on this thread is eligible to be a beta tester. However, if you ask, you then forfeit your opportunity to be one.
  • Can I help with this hack? If you think you can bring something beneficial to this hack, then you may apply here.
  • Will you include Pokémon from IV/V/VI generations? I will not.
  • What about Fakémon? Still no.

Download

Support

Want to support The Leola Project? Have a banner!

HTML Code:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7837400#post7837400"][IMG]http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/306/2/1/leola_proj__by_agous-d6spjmx.png[/IMG][/URL]

HTML Code:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7837400#post7837400"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/E5vEUed.png[/IMG][/URL]

HTML Code:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7837400#post7837400"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gGGMGD1.png[/IMG][/URL]

HTML Code:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7837400#post7837400"][IMG]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/311/5/3/leola_proj__ii_by_agous-d6tdq2v.png[/IMG][/URL]
Thanks to Countryemo and Agous for this banner!

Closing Notes

Well, we've made it to the first beta. Leave your comments and criticism below. It's a pleasure to work with all of you.

Enjoy.

[ Top ]

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost, Fire and Ice.

Play Me Casually | Project Leola

Last edited by Winter Wonderland; November 8th, 2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Update thread.
Old September 19th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Winter Wonderland

Updated thread with CSS.

In the progress of mapping about three cave maps.

Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Old September 19th, 2013, 05:06 PM
awipe1

This looks really good so far! Are you planning on changing the tilesets/OWs?

Also I'm currently looking for a spriter for my ROM. Someone who can make OWs and possibly trainer sprites (I might make those myself). Message me if you would like to be a part of Pokemon Battle Brown!
NOTE: You wouldn't be designing your own sprites, I would be telling you what I needed, and you would make it for me ... as appealing as that sounds. I know it doesn't sound like a fun task, but if you want to be a part of this ROM, then that's what will happen. Also I would like to see some stuff you have made before I accept your offer.
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Winter Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by awipe1 View Post
This looks really good so far! Are you planning on changing the tilesets/OWs?
I fully intend to, yes. Once I find a good tileset to use(you're free to recommend one) and a full set of OWs/trainer sprites to accompany them.

Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Old September 19th, 2013, 05:28 PM
mikethepokemaster

Nature: Jolly
This look nicely done and can't wait until you put out a beta. I like how everything arranged too.
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:29 PM
awipe1

I've currently been making a tileset for my ROM. The tileset is just for the outside world, So I only changed tileset0 right now. You can go to my ROM page and check it out and if you like it, I will send you just parts of the tileset that I used.

Also I'm currently looking for a spriter for my ROM. Someone who can make OWs and possibly trainer sprites (I might make those myself). Message me if you would like to be a part of Pokemon Battle Brown!
NOTE: You wouldn't be designing your own sprites, I would be telling you what I needed, and you would make it for me ... as appealing as that sounds. I know it doesn't sound like a fun task, but if you want to be a part of this ROM, then that's what will happen. Also I would like to see some stuff you have made before I accept your offer.
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Winter Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethepokemaster View Post
This look nicely done and can't wait until you put out a beta. I like how everything arranged too.
Arranged? How do you mean? Thanks for your compliment, and we are steadily working on a playable product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awipe1 View Post
I've currently been making a tileset for my ROM. The tileset is just for the outside world, So I only changed tileset0 right now. You can go to my ROM page and check it out and if you like it, I will send you just parts of the tileset that I used.
I will certainly check that out. And yeah, Tileset 0 is my main concern. Also a secondary outdoor tileset that would serve as a snow outdoor set.

Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Old September 19th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Natsu Dragneel
Fire Dragon Slayer
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Since eevee is the starter pokemon, will sylveon be included in this hack?

Name: Drakath
3DS Friend Code: 2723-9635-5698
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Winter Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakath569 View Post
Since eevee is the starter pokemon, will sylveon be included in this hack?

Questions you should not ask--number four: Will you include Pokémon from IV/V/VI generations?

No. No, I will not.

Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Old September 25th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Holy... that story though. O_O

I read that twice, and hold up Ima go read it again.

WOW GIRL. I will play the hell out of this for the story alone. Simply wonderful. <3 I'll post a more in-depth critique when there's more material to work with, though. Good luck, and may the odds be forever in your favor.

Old September 27th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Semyaza
Lurker Extraordinaire

Hmm. This hack looks promising. I will be keeping an eye on it for further updates and developments, as I am sure you and your team won't disappoint.
Old September 28th, 2013, 01:47 PM
NurseBarbra
くら くら?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NurseBarbra
*Nerd voice* So when is it coming out hurrhurrhurr.
I have to say that for the first hack i've checked in a while this is nice. I like the lore behind it as well as the fact that it doesn't give much away. Needless to say I am excite.
Old September 28th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Pinkish Purple
五代目水影

Nature: Naughty
Undoubtedly, this is possibly one of the best storyline I have ever read. Your mapping seems to work with the FireRed tiles beautifully, and I wouldn't have minded it if you were sticking to using the Fr tileset. Some tilesets that have impressed me are the Calis Projects tiles (although they are beginning to get overused) and the Dawn tileset. Good Luck!
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Winter Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semyaza View Post
Hmm. This hack looks promising. I will be keeping an eye on it for further updates and developments, as I am sure you and your team won't disappoint.
Stay tuned, updates to come soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseBarbra View Post
*Nerd voice* So when is it coming out hurrhurrhurr.
I have to say that for the first hack i've checked in a while this is nice. I like the lore behind it as well as the fact that it doesn't give much away. Needless to say I am excite.
Thank you, that's what I was aiming for. I noticed all too much that when a ROM hack thread posts their story, it's not much of an introduction to their hack, it's more-or-less a guideline of what you'll be doing. Spoilers everywhere! That's no fun. So, I decided to read the back of books and games, and stuff. I realized the best method--in my opinion--to go about it is to set up a prologue: something that the potential players can read and say "Oh man... I gotta know more."

Thanks for noticing. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkish Purple View Post
Undoubtedly, this is possibly one of the best storyline I have ever read. Your mapping seems to work with the FireRed tiles beautifully, and I wouldn't have minded it if you were sticking to using the Fr tileset. Some tilesets that have impressed me are the Calis Projects tiles (although they are beginning to get overused) and the Dawn tileset. Good Luck!

Thank you. I appreciate your comments.

No worries about changing the tiles, it's pretty unlikely it'll happen. If you ask my team members, I'm pretty persnickety about what goes into this hack/series/installments/whatever you want to call it. So, in order for me to even put in some new tiles, it'd have to be some amazing tiles, and literally every detail had to be taken care of before they went in. All tiles to match new buildings/they have to match in style, combine nicely with palette; all the animations must be available, the OWs has to be able to match with the style of the tiles in order to blend well, then I'd need trainer sprites for all of the replaced OW's including back ones for the main character.

It's a lot to get into, but I try to be somewhat thorough.

However, I was toying with the idea of that being the general prologue, and having a prologue to each season, as I intended each season as separate ROM hacks, combined into one thread.

Thoughts on this?

Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Old September 28th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Dark Sneasel
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I like it. Although a lot of people have Eevee as the starter, I still like it. Do you have a spupport banner? I would gladly put it in my signature!
Pokémon Emerald Specials
Change Player OW in script
Making a tag battle script
G3HS extended Pokemon in the wild
Starting out with Rom Hacking? Click here
#SlowDownFigi

http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...overy,fluorite
^Coolest irc... ever
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Winter Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sneasel View Post
I like it. Although a lot of people have Eevee as the starter, I still like it. Do you have a spupport banner? I would gladly put it in my signature!
At this moment, Play Me Casually does not have any support banners.

Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Old September 28th, 2013, 11:04 PM
latias190

Nature: Quiet
I can't wait until this is released.
Goodluck.
I look forward to playing it.
Old September 29th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Winter Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by latias190 View Post
I can't wait until this is released.
Goodluck.
I look forward to playing it.
Thanks, we're working hard to provide a good playing experience.

Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Old September 29th, 2013, 08:54 AM
itari
悪魔の妹
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I must say this certainly looks promising.

And that story... wow. I like what you're doing here.

SubscriptAdvanced SongType Effectiveness EditorTilemap CreatorPython IPS Patcher
Old September 29th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Winter Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgeo View Post
I must say this certainly looks promising.

And that story... wow. I like what you're doing here.
Thank you. I appreciate your compliments. This game, if all goes well, will have a lot more to it than just the legendary trainers. I have a lot planned and written out to make this game one truly worthy of being released. Stay tuned! There's going to be a lot to look forward to.

Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Old September 29th, 2013, 09:40 AM
rep169

Nature: Lax
If you need a beta tester, I can help you. Ive played nearly all the pokemon hacks i can find. :D
Old September 29th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Winter Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep169 View Post
If you need a beta tester, I can help you. Ive played nearly all the pokemon hacks i can find. :D
This is essentially asking if you can beta test. A beta tester thoroughly explores every aspect of what they're doing. Like... for example... the thread of the game they want to beta test. If you were a good beta tester, you would've noticed this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions You Should Not Ask
Can I be a beta tester? Everyone who posts on this thread is eligible to be a beta tester. However, if you ask, you then forfeit your opportunity to be one.
You've forfeited your opportunity. I apologize.

Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Old September 29th, 2013, 10:24 AM
rep169

Nature: Lax
Ok. I didn't know that. because i are only on this part of the forum. And I don't really read all the comments on the posts. So i apologize for asking.
Old September 29th, 2013, 10:30 AM
UnlawfulExile
Pokemon Let's Player (6k subs)

Nature: Bold
That prologue sounds amazing and the idea of playing as the heroes in flashbacks really has me interested, I will be watching this thread closely and hope to see it do very well.
Old September 29th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Winter Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlawfulExile View Post
That prologue sounds amazing and the idea of playing as the heroes in flashbacks really has me interested, I will be watching this thread closely and hope to see it do very well.
Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. I have a number of things planned to keep you on your toes while you play these games through.

Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Quick Reply